whey for lacto-fermention, heavy cream, oral hygeine products

jenjustis

Hi! I really appreciate the existence of this forum--I do like to make sure I'm following the rules. I just read the book and am starting the Whole30 in a few days. I like to make my own lacto-fermented vegetables, but in the past I've used the whey strained from organic, whole yogurt. Is this okay? I don't know what's left of the milk proteins after fermentation. (I'm thinking Kombucha is okay even though it's made from sugar...though unlike sugar, I imagine the proteins still remain...just want to make sure.) I won't purchase any more yogurt, but I still have some whey that I'm loath to toss.

Also, a friend lent the book to me and it left me a little confused about heavy cream. It's mentioned in the dairy section where it's implied that it's okay but never discussed in the food section. After reading the "Can I have..." forum I feel it's been cleared up for me, and that heavy cream is off the table--but this was certainly confusing to me while reading the book.

One last questions--oral hygeine products? Are the labels on these products important to the Whole30 plan?

thanks so much for your responses--I want to ensure maximum benefits by following the Whole30

Based on my recollection of past discussions I do believe fermenting with whey is out for your Whole30. I know this has been discussed before. Some people find searching the forums via Google to be more effective then our own search.

Heavy cream is definitely out for your Whole30. It's been over a year since I last read the book so I can't remember the context of heavy cream. I know it is something that many people who are not severely bothered by dairy enjoy when NOT on Whole30.

I'll let someone else answer the toothpaste question, but I think it is ok. I use a toothpaste that is all natural and uses xylitol but I spit it out not swallow it. If another moderator knows better though hopefully they will speak up. 

I am a big fermenter.  If I don't have whey available I usually just ferment with 2tbsp salt instead of 1.  The salt brine will also help preserve.  As well when I make kraut I never use whey.  Though my whole 30 would be almost over by the time a new batch of kraut was done.  Perhaps you can make a couple quick veggie batches with just some salt

Had some fermented dilly carrots this morning already! 

For oral hygiene are you talking about MI Paste? I have an allergic reaction to MI Paste but thought is was something else in my diet. I get a rash on my hands when I have it. I don't seem to get that rash when I eat dairy so there is something in the toothpaste that isn't working for me. If you can avoid it for the whole30 then do it. It you have to use it then just know that it could be a problem for you. 

Archived