Starting on January 1, implications for my workout routine?

carolineaewing

As corny as it is, my husband and I have decided to make the Whole30 our new year's resolution this year - a resolution we can accomplish in 30 days and be done, rather than having it looming over our heads making us feel crummy (like the no-pizza fiasco of 2014 that was ruined in the first week). 

I'm excited to start, but I'm a bit concerned about how it will affect my workout routine. I run 5 days a week with my dogs because I'm a crazy dog lady and they need exercise. I've looked through the forum a bit and have noticed that people tend to get headaches and/or feel some physical effects from omitting some of these foods. I'm curious to see how people have worked through this to maintain healthy exercise habits and/or how long those issues tended to last. I may return to this question after I start the program if I'm experiencing this, but any enthusiastic Whole 30 veterans who would like to weigh in would be appreciated!

Caroline

• Moderators

Hi Caroline, and welcome!

Yes, some people experience fatigue and less-than-stellar workouts for about the first two weeks of W30, but then their performance tends to improve exponentially and beyond how they felt before starting. Think of it as a byproduct of clearing out the system. Follow the guidelines for pre- (protein plus fat, like a boiled egg) and post-workout (lean protein, no fat, plus starchy veg; think chicken breast and sweet potato) foods and make sure to get plenty of carb-dense veggies (sweet potatoes, winter squash, beets, parsnips, etc.) throughout your regular meals and that should help. As should having the expectation that your workouts might feel a little bit compromised but only for a limited time. In other words, take it easy when you need to, and power through it when you need to. It's all about learning and adapting and getting healthier in the process!

Archived