Starting first W30 in January - concerned about constipation

jennyjumpup

What a way to introduce myself, huh?  "Hi, I'm new.  Let's talk about poop."

My normal diet is usually whole grains, veggies, lean meat, and a little bit of fruit and dairy and my typical BM pattern is every 3-4 days.  I only get concerned when I go beyond 5 days.  However, when I incorporate really unhealthy foods (like fast food) every few days, I poop every.single.day.  

I am planning a Whole30 for the following reasons:  forcing myself to get creative with cooking again, reducing sugar and alcohol consumption, being a better healthy eating model for my husband and toddler.

But since I am guaranteed to be bloated and constipated, I want to ask for any advice upfront during the preparation period.  I've read the book, I know some bloating and constipation is normal, but I'm afraid it will be worse for me and I would like to find a way to prevent it, if possible.  

What has worked for me in the past to relieve constipation:

• greasy fast food
  • Senna tea or other stimulant laxatives
  • glycerin suppossitories

What has not worked for me in the past:

• increased fiber
  • increased water
  • increased exercise (I do moderate exercise 3-4 times a week, but do notice fewer BM in times of decreased exercise, but more than my usual exercise doesn't help my BMs)
  • milk of magnesia
  • stool softeners
  • probiotics (capsules)

If you have gone through a similar experience on the Whole30, what worked for you?  Or what would you suggest that I try to prevent major constipation so I can avoid the gut sabotaging effects of fast food and Senna tea?

Thanks,

Jenn

• Administrators

Hey there, welcome!  We love to talk about poop around here so you're totally set.

I have not experienced extreme constipation such as you explain however here are some thoughts on the matter.

Pooping frequency is different for every single person in the world.  Personally I go twice a day, my husband who eats the exact same food goes every other day.  Using my hubby as an example, it took him quite a long time to be able to go comfortably without using bran muffins which I swear was more a mental helper than a physical one.

The Whole30 process is going to heal your gut and properly balance all your hormones and body chemicals.  Depending on your context, it could take you more than 30 days to start seeing the benefits of that balance.  I would suggest, not being a doctor, that the reason fast foods appear to work for you is because they are so irritating to the gut that they cause a purgative effect.  That's not good...even though you are getting the result you want.  Ultimately they are further damaging that gut lining and intestinal flora which compounds the problem as you go on.

You can try supplementing with magnesium or probiotics (I don't have a tonne of knowledge of probiotics, there are lots of forum posts about it though). 

Take a look at this old forum thread for some suggestions:  http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/8252-bathroom-tmi-seriously-need-help/

Finally, one more tiny thing from your original post.  You are not "reducing sugar and alcohol consumption" when you're on the Whole30, you're completely eliminating them altogether.  Every single form of sweetener including honey and coconut sugar and every single form of alcohol including that which is in vanilla extracts.  You probably knew that but I just wanted to make sure.  :)

I would suggest being very generous with extra-virgin, organic coconut oil.  You may be surprised at how well it can move things along!  

And since I know everyone may have a different definition of "very generous":  

Because it can have a laxative/cleansing effect, some folks need to start out with as little as 1 teaspoon per day and work their way up.  In YOUR case -- going as long as 5 days between bowel movements, which is very far from ideal -- I would say anytime you feel like you need to go or speed things along -- try eating an entire tablespoon of it with each meal, in addition to whatever other fats you may have in that meal.  Sure, you can cook with it, melt it on your meat or veggies, whatever -- but you can also literally eat a spoonful of it.

Happy healing!   :)

Thanks, ladyshanny.  I know that they are totally off limits for January!  But I meant that after my Whole30 is over, my goal is to have them only occasionally not everyday like I have been.

Finally, one more tiny thing from your original post.  You are not "reducing sugar and alcohol consumption" when you're on the Whole30, you're completely eliminating them altogether.  Every single form of sweetener including honey and coconut sugar and every single form of alcohol including that which is in vanilla extracts.  You probably knew that but I just wanted to make sure.  :)

Your patterns are similar to mine. Sigh. No fun. But here are a few things to try....Natural Calm....you can order it on line. Work up to a tablespoon each night in some warm water (be careful in the preparation as it is very fizzy)...don't need a lot of water...doesn't taste great, but you can get it down. Also try Maca...a little bit each day (look it up on line)....I have tried a lot of things and both of those have given me the best relief. Also, eat all three meals with healthy portions....even though after a while you may not want to eat....you need to eat!!!!

Homemade mayo is a great way to get in lots of fat, chicken wings too.

Some people also find cooked vs raw veggies helps, for others it's the reverse.

Many people find magnesium helpful, Natural Calm can even be a little too effective for some people (there are many different forms of magnesium, it's worth trying a few). Taking magnesium at night seems to be the most popular and it also means you won't need to be hunting for a public bathroom if it hits you harder than expected.

Sweet potato and pumpkin and other starches will help too, especially with fats.

Keep a food log and track how you feel, you may find some things are really helpful, others not.

• 2 weeks later...

I have  the same problem...only I have to do a suppository or an enema if I go beyond day 2. I just can't handle the fullness and uncomfortable feeling. It's been a constant battle. I take fiber and I take 2 stool softeners every day. I have internal hemorrhoids that bleed if I don't do these things. It has gotten worse these past few days on the Whole 30. I have been taking probiotics for several years now. Frankly I don't know how I'd be if I didn't take them. I don't take laxatives because I don't want to get dependent on them. I also put a tablespoon of coconut oil in my coffee every day. I just heard on Dr. Oz that one can do a spoonful of olive oil to help....so I am going to add that to the list that goes on and on. LOL  Honestly I have no real solutions for you.....it's not going to stop me from doing this program so I am going to grin and bear it for now. I wish you lots of luck on this journey! 

Archived