Newbie starting today: Day 1 (12/29/14)

Rhona

• Administrators

Congrats on your decision to start a Whole30!  Like Tina says, focus on what you CAN eat rather than the things that you've chosen not to consume for 30 days.

Sometimes framing it as a personal choice ("I choose not to consume bread/rice/dairy for 30 days to improve my health and learn things about my body" vs "Whole30 says I can't have wine/ice cream/pizza") and to be honest, makes it easier to explain or "defend" down the road if you get presented with questions.

You'll do great, you can try writing down your reasons for choosing this program and stick it in your wallet for those times when you just can't remember why "xyz" isn't an option right now.

Breakfast is leftover ground beef, tomato, kale concoction from dinner on top of a grilled portobello mushroom.  Is that enough protein for the morning, or should I add a poached egg?  Oh, and coffee with a dash of coconut milk.  

Breakfast is leftover ground beef, tomato, kale concoction from dinner on top of a grilled portobello mushroom.  Is that enough protein for the morning, or should I add a poached egg?  Oh, and coffee with a dash of coconut milk.  

Wait and see if your meal keeps you satiated for 4-5 hours. If yes, you're good. If no, then yes, tweak the protein, veg and/or fat until you get there.

Today (12/30)was my Day 1. Aside from being really hungry at 3:30, and the day feeling unusually long, and a zillion trips to the ladies room, it wasn't bad! This is my 2nd Whole30. But it's been over a year. My mindset for the last six months has been "I'll start getting healthy tomorrow...or the next week...or later. But today's the day, and I'm determined to be successful.

I can't believe I made it through two NYE parties, and one New Year's day party without any slip-ups! It took a TON of planning (like bringing my own snacks and meals to all the parties), but I committed to doing the entire Whole30 program.  Everyone was supportive, although I did have to endure a little light-hearted teasing.  Made it through Day 4, and fortunately, I haven't had any terrible mood swings or headaches.  Aside from having to go to the bathroom all day long along with several times during the night, AND some serious sinus drainage, the rest of the side effects have been mild.  Looking forward to Day 5.

Nice job Rhona! 

NYE wasn't a big temptation for me.  I'm normally home and in bed right after the Time Square ball drops.  Yesterday (my day 3)...ugh...I think a semi truck rolled over me while I slept.  I did nothing productive...at...all.  Fortunately, I didn't have to.  After a nap, I felt a lot better, but still did nothing.  I had fantasies about eating a huge piece of the cheesecake my college boy wanted for NYE with his friends (and they didn't eat any of it).  I stayed strong though.  Not going to waste the efforts of the last 72 hours and have to start over.

Hi Wansmom, you can do it!!  It's tough the first week.  I had gone paleo(-ish) a few weeks before Thanksgiving and I remember the headaches and I was sooo tired....all I could think about is sleep.   But, be assured, it passes pretty quickly.  Now that I've committed to Whole30, I think my pre-program paleo helped pave the way for a smoother transition.  My next obstacle is my mom's dinner party on Sunday.  I've offered to bring the deviled eggs (made with my homemade mayo, of course).  They will never even know!!

Today, day 5, I'm feeling a lot better.  A bit of the fog has lifted.  I know it's all worth it.  You were smart to go paleo-ish before your whole30.  I did the exact opposite--total binge for the holiday weeks.  I'm normally a total soda-junkie.  I think that will be the one thing I mourn the most, and know I will have to stay away from probably forever.  I realize now it's a huge trigger for completely join crazy with bad food choices.  

I had deviled eggs for breakfast this morning with some baby carrots, an apple and some no sugar added, no nitrate, uncured bacon (probably the best bacon I've ever eaten).  

What's your favorite meal that you've fixed so far?  I'm working on my menu for next week.  Then grocery shopping.  Then taking down Christmas. 

Enjoy your dinner party tomorrow, and stay strong!

I've been cooking a LOT since I started last week, and have tried to be creative with my dishes.  My fav breakfasts are 1) 2 bell pepper halves lined with prosciutto and then crack an egg in each one.  Bake about 425 degrees until egg is set (about 35 minutes).  I just keep checking it until it's not runny.  2) veggie omelet with 2 eggs stuffed with grilled mushrooms, bell peppers, red onions, olives, and chopped prosciutto.  I mostly use ghee for all my cooking.  For dinner tonight, I had a quick stirfry with the above veggies with thinly sliced chicken breast and a large handful of wilted baby spinach.  One night I also made a 'hamburger' by putting a ground beef patty on top of a grilled portobello mushroom and then my regular toppings (homemade mayo, yellow mustard, lettuce, onions, and tomatoes).  I bought a cast iron grill pan that was on sale last week and I absolutely love it.  

I'm really worried about next week, though. My Xmas break is over and life goes back to it's super hectic schedule with little to no time for cooking!  I made a menu plan that incorporates easy to prepare stuff, and literally spent all day today washing and chopping veggies, etc. (my kids are happy, they got to play video games probably the entire day while I was in the kitchen...ugh!)  Anyway, we'll see how this works...  

What are your favorite dishes?  How's the soda withdrawal going?  Hang in there!  You can always have a glass of mineral water with a few frozen berries if you're feeling like something fizzy...I know, it's totally not the same thing!  LOL.  You can do this!!

PEChristie--look for Pendersons bacon. I found it at Whole Foods and Market Street.

Rhona--I'm going to have to try the egg/prosciutto/pepper thing sounds really yummy. I've also been doing a lot of stir fry--throw whatever is in the fridge in the skillet. I splurged on lamb chops for NYE, and they were very yummy. Honestly, I think my favorite thing I've made so far are the deviled eggs. This week I'm looking forward to cracklin' chicken from NomNom Paleo blog (love that blog!!), chile, and going to try a Paleo bbq sauce to go with chicken breasts. I think the sauce recipe was in one if my daily whole30 emails.

Good luck getting back to a crazy schedule. That's my life, always. We need to think like Boy Scouts, and be prepared, right?!

Hi Wamsmom, -- how did the cracklin' chicken turn out?  The recipe looks soooo yummy!  I love that website.  

My week went well.  I did not stray from W30 foods the entire week, even though I desperately wanted a glass of wine tonight to unwind from the week and start the weekend.  I really had to talk myself out of it.  I feel better about it now.  

I have to admit I am still grabbing a snack between breakfast and lunch (usually it's just a handful of nuts);  however, it seems to be getting easier to go from meal to meal.  I am going to try to cut out snacking as part of my next week's goals.  Oh, and I had a Larabar on Day 10...who would have thought that dates, unsweetened cocoa, unsweetened coconut, walnuts and almonds could taste so magical... :-)  But I felt guilty for eating one, so I'm going to save my other two (they were on sale last week) for after my 30 days.  

I am pretty challenged in the coordination (and flexibility) department, so I'm just walking a few days a week, and yesterday I started doing the 30-Day "Ease into Yoga" video series on Youtube.  It's just the right pace for me.

Have a great weekend.  Stay strong!  

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rhona--

Life has been so crazy busy, I have had no time to log in to the forums since earlier this month.  My Whole30 is complete!  Today is day 31.  I've lost 14 pounds and 10 total inches.  More importantly than that, I'm feeling so much better on so many levels.  I'm going to extend another 2 weeks, at least.  That nasty sugar dragon's fire is still smoldering, and I feel like it could easily re-ignite if I'm not super careful.  The first 2 weeks of W30 were long weeks.  The 2nd 2 went by really fast.  So, I figure, what the heck, another 2 weeks should be a easy.  No resting on my laurels--I must stay prepared and have a plan.

How'd your W30 go

Archived