Day 78...no significant weight loss

nina.nassi

Today is day 78 of my first whole100 and I haven't seen much of weight loss. I weighed my self on day 60 and I had only lost 4 kg ! 

I'm a little bit disappointed and I don't know what I'm doing wrong :(

But other than the weight I need to lose, I sleep better,  joint pain stopped, I ENJOY preparing, shopping and eating healthy food, I also have a bright and smooth skin and have lots of energy. It is true that these results were the main reason why I wanted (and still want) to loose weight, but it would be wonderful to be skinny  :rolleyes:

Do you have any advice for me?

4kg=8lbs, which is a lovely slow sustainable rate of weight loss. Keep in mind that weight loss is not a linear process, but even if it were, wouldn't you rather feel great and continue to lose slowly than to lose quickly, feeling terrible the whole time and then gain it all back? Life is a marathon, not a sprint. Enjoy the process.

• Administrators

Oh hey Nina, congrats on getting as far as you have and super huge congrats on an 8# weightloss!  As Mary says above, that is a healthy and sustainable amount and should not startle your body or cause hormone disruptions. 

Most of the time when people see huge weight loss numbers on the success stories it's usually people who have a significant amount of weight to lose or it's men in the earlier stages of their lives.  As women we have a longer and slower go of it just because of the nature of being a woman.  We have hormonal fluctuations and we are made to store more fat than men. Not to say you mightn't need to lose some weight, I'm not sure of your context, but it's not uncommon for women to believe that they need to lose a lot more than would be natural for them in the absence of the influence of social media and marketing.

Your success markers sound fantastic and added to an 8# healthy loss, I think you're firmly on the right track!  Good job!

• Moderators

Very wise words from mm and ls above. I'd like to add my congratulations and urge you to keep going! Focus on all those positive changes you've identified, let go of weight loss expectations, and think about the long haul. We don't get as much attention for it, but many of us continue to lose little by little with a Whole9 lifestyle, making our own tweaks along the way. And over time, what seems like small losses add up to extraordinary change, much of which cannot be measured, especially with a scale.

• Administrators

It happens ALL the time where, mostly women, have a predetermined amount of weight they feel that they should have lost and they feel that they have come up short.  But now you know you didn't really come up short, right?  You gave your body the best nutrients in the proper proportions for YOU and it let go of the weight it was ready to let go of.  Maybe further on it'll let go of more and maybe it won't. 

There are things that we can MAKE our bodies do by restricting calories and crazy exercise and fasting and flushing and taking pills or whatever wacky idea some marketer came up with to come between us and our money and our sanity/self love.  But MAKING your body do something unnatural is the opposite of all the wonderful things we do with the Whole30.  We nourish, respect and listen to our bodies and that is exponentially more valuable than making it do something it's not meant to do.

Let's face it; the number scale is something we've been trained to focus on all our lives but it really is pretty meaningless when you are really eating healthy.  ***Take a Deep Breath*** The MOST important things are what you put in your 1st post. You said, "I sleep better,  joint pain stopped, I ENJOY preparing, shopping and eating healthy food, I also have a bright and smooth skin and have lots of energy."  What is better than that?!

My advice is aligned with the previous responses . . . slow and steady wins the race.

Now, if you want to share a few days of your detailed food logs, maybe we can help tweak what you are eating a bit :)

Hi There.

It took me 7 months (2 years ago) to lose roughly 35 lbs.  ( I ate whole 30/paleo) When you break it up that's about 1lb a week.  This is a healthy rate of weight loss.  It took me a while to understand this.  I too was impatient for weight loss.   

But as Lynne states above - focus on the sleep, skin improvements and energy.  These are more important factors.  Really.  The number on the scale honestly and truly doesn't give you any of those things.  It just give you a number.

• 2 weeks later...

I needed the boost from this post. I did a whole30 a few months ago and I lost about 8-10lbs, but that was all achieved in the first 2 weeks or so, which let me know it was mostly water weight (I was following a low carb route which I had been doing even before the whole 30, but the carbs were even lower during the whole30). I too was frustrated, as I was thinking - all this cooking for mostly water weight?!  But then I got a grip on myself. Nina, like you I was sleeping better and my skin was better - people actually commented and asked what I was doing!  I also had less tummy issues. 

I realize that the whole30 is about eating healthy, real food and treating your body well, not about weight loss.  But, with that being said, I still need to lose weight and quite a bit of it, so I'm hoping that the weight loss will come in time. I am really on the edge, thinking about doing something more drastic - so this post was the reality check and boost I needed.:)  

Nina - hang in there!

• 1 month later...

hi there I just wanted to share that this is my second attempt at whole 30 .. Day 1 .. Previously I lasted 14 days I felt fabulous close were loose but I didn't weigh in.. Ppl commented ... But got distracted !! I've been in the food game all my life too much abuse led to 30 kg weight gain !!! In desperate measure I got my self a lap and.. It took 3 years to drop 35 kg... Then I had a baby and liked it all on developed stomach and heartburn issues and also anxiety.... Only real food works no surgery no fads !! Good clean food to reset your mind hormones ect !!! I only recently discovered whole 30 community and am hoping it will the best 30 days of my life !! A good start to 2015 .. For anyone wanting to do drastic surgery for weightloss do you homework !!!its all about discipline and real food positive lifestyle changes!!! Good luck to you all xxx

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your support! I needed this little push to keep up! 

Did this happen to anyone else? I mean not losing enough weight...

Nina, what would have been enough?  You lost an average of 1lb/week.  Would 2lbs/week been enough?  4?  Or do you want Biggest Loser type numbers?  10/week?  If you want those types of numbers, you need to start spending 8 hrs/day in the gym, strictly limit your calories, and then sweat off a few pounds before weigh in.  NOT a very healthy or sustainable way to lose weight.

Think of it this way.  Keep doing what you're doing and, in one year, you've lost 52! pounds.  If, while you're doing it, you're feeling better, sleeping better, eating good food, enjoying your life, etc...isn't that what you really want?  And especially if you keep the weight off?

You have to change your thinking on this.  I completely empathize with you...I'd like to lose about 25 lbs and could probably lose closer to 40 or 50.  But I've dieted all my life...as in, focusing on the actual weight that I want to lose, the number, etc.  Eating to lose weight vs eating to be healthier.  And if eating to lose weight hasn't consistently and sustainably worked for 30 yrs (and it hasn't!), then it's time to try something different.

Whole30 is NOT a weight loss plan...it's a "get healthier" plan that often results in some weight loss...but it's a long-term thing, both in losing it and keeping it off.

Nina, what would have been enough?  You lost an average of 1lb/week.  Would 2lbs/week been enough?  4?  Or do you want Biggest Loser type numbers?  10/week?  If you want those types of numbers, you need to start spending 8 hrs/day in the gym, strictly limit your calories, and then sweat off a few pounds before weigh in.  NOT a very healthy or sustainable way to lose weight.

Think of it this way.  Keep doing what you're doing and, in one year, you've lost 52! pounds.  If, while you're doing it, you're feeling better, sleeping better, eating good food, enjoying your life, etc...isn't that what you really want?  And especially if you keep the weight off?

You have to change your thinking on this.  I completely empathize with you...I'd like to lose about 25 lbs and could probably lose closer to 40 or 50.  But I've dieted all my life...as in, focusing on the actual weight that I want to lose, the number, etc.  Eating to lose weight vs eating to be healthier.  And if eating to lose weight hasn't consistently and sustainably worked for 30 yrs (and it hasn't!), then it's time to try something different.

Whole30 is NOT a weight loss plan...it's a "get healthier" plan that often results in some weight loss...but it's a long-term thing, both in losing it and keeping it off.

The percentage of rebound weight gain is so high after one year's time when you use any kind of diet.   It's 85%-90% of all weight regained within the following year after a big loss.  Within 3 year's time,  ditto.  

If we could see all contestants/dieters after the 3 year mark,  we'd have the visual of sustainability.

"Researchers monitored the hormone levels of 50 volunteers who were given low calorie diets for 10 weeks alongside weight loss advice, a recommended exercise programme and supervision from a dietitian. Comparing levels of several dietary hormones before, during and after the weight loss programme, researchers found that many of the hormonal changes experienced during the diet persisted a year after the diets ended, when participants were trying to maintain their new lower weight. Researchers suggest that this means the body has a hormonal “backlash” against the lack of calories during a diet, and will instruct the body to replace lost weight in the future."

The study was carried out by researchers from the University of Melbourne and La Trobe University, both in Australia. It was funded by Australia’s National Health and Medical Research Council, the Sir Edward Dunlop Medical Research Foundation and grants from the Endocrine Society of Australia and the Royal Australasian College of Physicians. The study was published in the peer-reviewed New England Journal of Medicine.

Nina, I completely understand where you are coming from.  I completed my first W30 at the beginning of February this year.  It was actually easier than I thought it would be, mainly because I was really prepared and I was doing it with a group of co-workers.  I find the most noticeable change was regulated blood sugar.  I no longer had that horrible need to eat immediately or risk the shakes or dizziness.  I also lost 14 pounds, which made me ecstatic.  However, it also made me fearful of reintroducing anything.  Even with the 14 pounds gone, I am still over weight (obese according to some charts).  The number on my scale is too high to be healthy.  So I have continued following the W30 plan – but the scale has not budged.  Not one ounce since day 30 (which was just about 4 weeks ago).  It is almost like my body knew that 30 days were up and it was done.  I want to be healthy but I honestly think to be truly healthy I do need to lose more weight.  I thought after such positive results after 30 days that this life style would to be the way to do it, now I am not sure what to do.

• Administrators

So I have continued following the W30 plan – but the scale has not budged.  Not one ounce since day 30 (which was just about 4 weeks ago).  It is almost like my body knew that 30 days were up and it was done.  I want to be healthy but I honestly think to be truly healthy I do need to lose more weight.  I thought after such positive results after 30 days that this life style would to be the way to do it, now I am not sure what to do.

Have you changed anything since your Whole30? ANY additional foods? More or less starchy veggies? More or less exercise? More or less water? More or less overall meals? Snacking? Fruit on its own? More nuts?

Lady Shanny is correct about taking too much away. Women and the hormone level backlash.  Many have reported success when all of the root vegetables and moderate fruits are left in and not removed.  Sweet potatoes and yams are great for balanced hormone levels.

Have you changed anything since your Whole30? ANY additional foods? More or less starchy veggies? More or less exercise? More or less water? More or less overall meals? Snacking? Fruit on its own? More nuts?

Thanks for your quick reply.  I had 1 glass of wine with dinner a week ago and ate out 1 day for lunch (Qdoba - had the salad with grilled chicken but they do use soybean oil - brought my own dressing).  Otherwise no additional off plan foods.  About the same amount of starchy veggies and fruit.  Eating 3 times a day, probably not as much as I was on the formal W30 - same amount of protein and fat, but fewer veggies (but I am not hungry).  I have just started to add exercise in last week (walking).  About the same amount of water (about 64 ounces each day).  

• Administrators

Thanks for your quick reply.  I had 1 glass of wine with dinner a week ago and ate out 1 day for lunch (Qdoba - had the salad with grilled chicken but they do use soybean oil - brought my own dressing).  Otherwise no additional off plan foods.  About the same amount of starchy veggies and fruit.  Eating 3 times a day, probably not as much as I was on the formal W30 - same amount of protein and fat, but fewer veggies (but I am not hungry).  I have just started to add exercise in last week (walking).  About the same amount of water (about 64 ounces each day).

Perhaps put your portions back up to Whole30 levels, meet the template at every meal.  You might be surprised at how, when you are eating enough for your body, it feels safe enough to let go of excess weight.  Since you did the Whole30 effectively with larger portions and now you aren't as hungry I'm going to reach out and suggest you are possibly still not in your hormonal balance sweet spot.  Especially since you've added exercise, you shouldn't be eating any less than you were before.

Try for a couple weeks and see how you go?

• Moderators

The number on my scale is too high to be healthy.  So I have continued following the W30 plan – but the scale has not budged.  Not one ounce since day 30 (which was just about 4 weeks ago).  It is almost like my body knew that 30 days were up and it was done.  I want to be healthy but I honestly think to be truly healthy I do need to lose more weight.  I thought after such positive results after 30 days that this life style would to be the way to do it, now I am not sure what to do.

As Ladyshanny has suggested, now is when the real work begins. It's now up to you to experiment with and tweak the program so that it works for you. You cannot expect to lose 14 pounds every month, though, no matter how much you have to lose or how much tweaking you do. Two pounds per month would actually be a healthy and sustainable rate.

Archived