Shelly's Whole30 Food Log- First Timer

Shellymcelly

This is my very first time doing whole30- well in fact its my very first team making any sort of effort of eating natural, healthy foods. I have yo-yo dieted my entire life, but really never made a lifestyle change. I had my first son 3 years ago and am carrying around 30 extra pounds, but more so poor eating habits that I'm passing on to him.  I hit rock bottom when I was asked if I was pregnant and realized that  my son just ate 3 bowls of apple-jacks cereal and wanted more.  I have to do something for the family and myself.

Luckily after purchasing ISWF my hubby picked it up and is has really dived in- he found a book that he fully understands and trusts and so here we are. Day 1.  I've never finished anything like this... but I am going to do this!

Prepped this weekend- did a full cleanse of the house pantry, refrigerator and candy drawer! bought groceries, prepped food and took pics & measurements. Hid the scale in the top shelf of the closet.

Day 1

Mood: TIRED!!!

Breakfast: 2 eggs, red peppers, green peppers, mushrooms & half a cutie.

Lunch: romaine, chicken grilled, peppers & tomatoes with Olive Oil & Vinegar dressing; Cuties

Snack (3:30pm): Grilled cold chicken (a few bites)

Dinner: we will be making stuffed peppers with hamburger and some spices

Feeling: nervous, scared I wont finish, scared my husband will quit, scared I wont lose weight or change my body composition.

Thanks for reading

Me-

• Administrators

Hi Shelley, welcome!  Try not to be scared, I know it can be overwhelming and seem like a huge task but you're really just eating food.  Protein, veggies, fat and some fruit.  Easy peasy! (I kid...I know it's hard, especially at first!)

Reviewing your first food log here I would suggest that you need to eat a bit more food.  Eggs as a serving of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping any.  For an average sized woman that is at least 3-4.  Many people, myself included, find that combining eggs with another protein source (eg, 2 eggs and some ground beef or chicken thighs etc) is more satiating than just the eggs alone.

With your veggies at lunch, you need more volume.  When you chew salad it's basically down to nothing (think about salad that has sat in dressing, what was a huge bowlful is withered down to barely there) so you need extra to make sure you get enough to eat at that meal.  You can try adding a starchy veggie to that salad (some sweet potato, carrots, rutabaga, turnips etc) as well as to at least one other meal every day which will help with initial symptoms of tired, weak or headache you might experience.

You mention you come from yo-yo dieting...Whole30 is not a diet in any sense and it may take you some time to not restrict your intake a la a low cal diet.  We eat real food, as much as you need to get from meal to meal without snacking or feeling horrible.  It may seem like way more than you are used to, trust the process, stick to following the Template and you'll do great!

Thank you Ladyshanny- I was just thinking this morning that I know I'm not eating a lot. I really really struggle with forcing myself to eat breakfast! I absolutely dispise it and it turns my tummy.  I am so used to 'drinking' my breakfast with a nice big coffee with cream- yum that sounds so good :)  its going to be my struggle to want to eat in the mornings.

Will I desire more food eventually??? I sure hope so!! right now I don't have to eat much and I feel satisfied.

Day 2:

Mood: TIRED and fighting a headcold- terrible headache

Breakfast:  Steak & eggs with peppers, mushrooms & tomatoes (I probably ate 1 ounce of steak and 2 eggs before I wanted to throw up :<) breakfast is hard!!

Lunch: leftover Stuffed peppers from last night, mixed fruit

Dinner: have a beef stew with homemade beef bone broth in the crockpot- with parsnips, carrots, onions, celery and will put a half of sweet potato with it.

• Administrators

Hmmm...that headache is pretty standard at first, I know that on my first Whole30 I had a headache for the first 10 days between the Whole30 adjustment and then my period.  It wasn't my most shining time, haha.

Breakfast is hard for some people, for sure.  You will eventually get used to eating in the morning, yes.  Make a template sized meal and eat whatever you can off of it. Then put it in a container and take it with you and eat from it the moment you get hungry again (or can tolerate the idea of the food). 

After years of not eating within an hour of waking your hormones are probably out of whack and your body isn't used to getting up and running so soon after waking.  Keep trying, it'll get easier.

Some things to try for easier breakfasts in the beginning:

soup (Golden Cauliflower or Silky Gingered Zucchini from Clothes Make the Girl) with cooked chicken shredded into it and drizzled with sesame oil.  That is nice, warm and comforting and should be easier to take in.

caramelize fresh sliced mushrooms and a sweet onion in compliant fat (I use lard) and then top with scrambled eggs (as wet or dry as is best for you).  I find this is such a nice flavour and not harsh on the stomach at all

egg muffins - these are everywhere on the internet and can be more of a "handheld" type thing than a plated breakfast which might be easier on you mentally.  Just be sure to eat enough of them that you get an appropriate serving of eggs (a serving of eggs is how many you can hold in your hand without dropping)

my personal favourite is to make homemade mayo and then have chicken salad in lettuce cups.  Fresh and crisp and creamy

However you go about it, just keep trying, you'll get there!

Thank you!!! all of your ideas actually sound so much better than 'eggs & veggies'- especially the homemade mayo and chicken in lettuce cups! do you have your favorite homemade mayo recipe to share?

I like your idea of making the right amount of food (following the template) and bringing the rest with me when I can tolerate it again. I am going to try that!

I am also someone that needs Tylenol PM to sleep- I've seen a few people mention Natural Calm, assuming this is Whole30 approved??

Thank you so much!

• Administrators

The mayo recipe I like the best is the one from Clothes Make the Girl (sorry, at work and can't post links).  I recently changed out the lemon juice for lime juice and like that even better!  I put all the ingredients into a 500ml mason jar, insert my stick blender and gently pull up the blender as the ingredients begin to emulsify.  I do always have some un-combined oil left in the middle and just take a big spoon and vigorously stir and it comes out beautifully!

Eventually you'll get to the point where you won't need to take the food with you, you'll just be able to eat it at one sitting.

Natural Calm is approved, I've never done or taken it but do know that it can have some digestive side effects also (can be quite purgative in some people).  Make sure you check your ingredients before buying to make sure that whatever variation of the NC you get is compliant.

If you would like to try a magnesium supplement for sleep but don't want to eat it, try Epsom salt baths just before bed.  I've done that a few times and slept like a log!  You can give yourself a rub down with the salt too while you're in the bath for some added absorption and bonus exfoliation.  :)

I'm discouraged tonight. Went to eat lunch today and just looking at the meal made me want to vomit. I tried one bite and had to spit it out. It was hamburger stuffed pepper from the night before that I loved- but today made me sick- the only thing I managed to eat for lunch was a banana. I didn't want to eat breakfast, lunch and then at dinner tonight with a great beef stew waiting I had zero appetite! I still feel sick to my stomach- like I could vomit at any time! If I think about meat or eggs I get sick. What on earth! This has never happened to me is this even normal? Could ghee be upsetting me?? Peppers??

None of the meat I had is new to me. Ghee is new, I'm eating more peppers now and mushrooms. But other than that I have not really dug in to any new veggies. And it's just the proteins that are making me want to throw up. I'm discouraged I won't get over this and won't beeating enough protein :(

Praying for this to be phase.

• Administrators

Maybe you're sick? Flat out nausea and near vomitting is not a symptom of Whole30. It's a symptom of pregnancy (?) and the flu. The flue would also explain your tiredness & headache that you reported above. You've only been on Whole30 for 2 days so I can't imagine you ate such an enormous volume of peppers and mushrooms or even Ghee that you gave yourself a sensitivity.

I think you're under the weather. :(

Day 3 for me!

I decided to work from home today so I could rest a bit incase I am getting sick. I didn't feel nauseous this morning at all, but then when I came down for breakfast looking at the eggs I felt sick. I managed to eat only 1 hardboiled egg and I had to gag down the last bite.  I ate some strawberries which went down fine.

Lunch I had left over beef stew with a small white potatoe, carrots, parsnips and green beans. I put my fork down between each bite and I was surprised how fast my mind told me I was full.  I still have more left over and looking forward to eating it again! I had a few bites of mango also.

Dinner I plan to have shrimp with hot sauce wrapped in lettuce (if my stomach will tolerate it) thinking of the shrimp now makes me feel sick.  :(

I'm not pregnant :) impossible (well I guess nothing is impossible with God, but very very highly unlikely). I might have a bug, but I feel fine other than feeling sick when I think about eating some proteins. Oh how I wish there was a way to get protein other than the 'regulars'.  Going to do some research on different ideas.

Oh and I made a soup from nomnom paleo that had lots of broccoli and leeks and coconut milk and curry.  ummmm.... I did not care for it at all. fail.  I'm going to pass it on to my mom to see if she would like it and try to 'fix' it for her standards :)  I'll try another soup soon!

Day 4

Woke up and hubby was making mushrooms, peppers and eggs in the skillet. I was gagging and had to step outside to get air- no joke what on earth!!! It's super discouraging :( I am not pregnant and I feel fine other than wanting to throw up thinking of protein. Any protein- chicken, shrimp, beef, etc is making me want to throw up. I managed to eat chicken last night bc I couldn't do the shrimp. And every bite was a struggle.

I managed to eat fruit and some nuts. But I'm starting to doubt this process for me. I can't get my protein in so am I doing more damage than good trying to stay on the Whole30?? I am worried I am not getting enough protein. Is this going to pass :( the really weird thing is if I think of a burger with bun or fish sandwich from McDonald's- it doesn't make me sick at all. Could this be a strong willed mind trying to get me back to comfy food???

I want this to pass!!!!!!! Even the smell of his cooking made me sick, went outside and opened windows in the middle of winter :(

Other than that... Slept last night with no help of sleep aid!! And I can tell I'm way less bloated, my wedding ring is spinning and my tummy is less bloated. So those are great!!

Shelly, it really does sound like your mind is rebelling against you with making your body eat healthy. I've seen it happen to a few people who practically lived their lives eating out daily for every meal. Not saying thats what you do, but the mind can be a very powerful thing. I had to retrain my mind the first W30 around.  Once I realized all the poison (additives,sugar,chemicals) that the food industry puts in our food, I realized those chemicals are making your brain addicted. I was dying to have cheese or some kind of dairy. I only made it to 21 days through my first W30, so am restarting now with much more information as well as 3 paleo cook books. Eggs were difficult to eat in the morning, they get really boring. But I learned not to think of each meal in terms of breakfast, lunch & dinner. I eat whatever I feel like eating, even if it is roast beef in the morning. 

I would keep at it. Maybe just up your intake of veggies? I dont know what to tell you with getting sick with just the smells of protein. 

Day 8 for me- i havent updated the past couple of days.  I have still been really sick to my stomach and no appetite. I try to force myself to eat some protein and veggies but most of what i can get down are a few bites of fruit.  I slept most of yesterday and felt no energy- so i bucked up and went to the doctor. Found i have a pretty good sinus infection that i didnt even know of because i'm not stuffed up- but she said its all in my back sinuses and put me on antibiotics. she also said all the slow drainage could be what is making me sick to my stomach.  I'm hoping these antibiotics help!!

I'll update more with my food log later- need to get to work!

Managed to make some chicken wings for lunch today that went down well !  made real mayo and mixed it with Franks compliant wing sauce. Also had a side of roasted sweet potatoes with cinnamon and a cutie. it all went down fine and stayed down! hoping dinner goes the same, as breakfast was awful :(

for the past days we've also cooked another roast in the crockpot, made some lettuce wraps with turkey & tomatoes, and homemade chicken nuggets (made with almond flour). I know I'm not getting enough veggies. 

Wondering if Green Smoothies are allowed IF they are mostly spinach, half a banana and handful of cherries... I'm going to have to look as I think I remember reading that they are not allowed. I know I could get those down my belly :)

Archived