Tiger's New Years Whole30

TigerChow

Well, let's cut to the chase; it's been a solid month of holiday parties, loads of desserts, late nights at the office, and a terrible cold that's kept me away from my workouts for weeks. Needless to say, I'm not feeling too great at the moment! My sugar habit has really gotten the better of me for the past six weeks; loads of chocolate-covered anything, lots of homemade pie, office treats and (sneaking!) leftover holiday goodies have been dragging me down, and I know it. I really feel the need to take a step back, tell the world that I'm taking a sugar/treat/booze break after the holidays, and nourish my body for a while.

I don't normally commit to the full 30 days, but I'm feeling a solid Whole 30 this month, so I'm going to give it a shot! I planned on starting Jan. 1st... but I've already started prepping, I have the opportunity to begin and hey, there's no time like the present. Why wait, so I can keep snacking on chocolate-covered peanuts? Maybe not the best idea!

Day 1- 12/29

Meal 1: Blended kale + coconut milk + 1/4 avocado, chicken sausage

Meal 2: Salad with salami, onion, olives, peppers, olive oil and vinegar

PW Meal: Cubed ham, cooked cabbage and apple 

Meal 3: Chicken breast with cabbage + apple, broccoli

A solid start, for sure! But I ate my last meal a mere couple hours ago, and I'm still super hungry. Maybe I didn't have the right portion sizes? Maybe I need to add more carb sources? It's hard to put my finger on it, I'll have to experiment.

• Moderators

Reviewing portion sizes is a good idea: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

My impression is that you are eating too little protein at meals and probably are too light on fat. Whole30-style eating is uncomfortably generous for many people until they practice for a bit and discover that eating this way does not make one fat.

Ham that is not cured with sugar is almost impossible to find in the United States. If you are in the US, double check the ingredients of your ham and if it includes sugar, freeze what you have until your Whole30 is finished. 

I wouldn't be surprised if my portions are off! I've been using my hands as measurement tools (and forget I have extra small hands). I also forgot that you can have 1-2 measures of food (as opposed to 1), so maybe shooting for between 1-2 would suit me better. 

I've made sure that my sausages are sugar-free, but I have no idea about the ham; it's leftover from my family's christmas celebrations so there's no ingredient list anymore... I'll go ahead and freeze it for now; better safe than sorry!

Alright, Day 2 is down! I had a very similar day, but with the ham out of the picture, I'm a little limited in my protein sources on-hand. I'll have to hit up the store tomorrow for new stuff to cook (and more greens! I'm committing to buying fresh greens 2-3 times per week at least).

Day 2- 12/30

Meal 1: Kale blend (3 cups kale, 1/2 avocado, banana, coconut milk, ginger, tumeric), chicken breast

Meal 2: Large salad with beef kalbi, 1/4 avocado, cucumber, daikon, kimchi, ginger

PW Meal: Small salad with greens, 1/4 avocado, chicken sausage, cabbage, oil

Meal 3: Chicken breast, cabbage + apple, broccoli, 1/2 avocado

I really hammered on that avocado today! I should look into some alternative fat sources. I'm really trying to avoid nuts, because I think I may be sensitive to them, and I tend to eat them a lot. So, maybe supplementing with more oils and seeds? I seem to be in the same situation as yesterday, where I ate an hour ago and still feel so hungry... Maybe my stomach is just sore, and I'm mistaking pain for hunger?

EDIT: I caved, and about half an hour ago made myself a cup of ginger tea and added a scant 1/4 cup of full fat coconut milk. Cleared the pain right up, and I started feeling better immediately. Guess it was hunger after all!

Big wins the last couple of days in the Whole 30 department! New Years is a tricky last hurrah when it comes to the holidays, but fortunately, one that can be navigated. 

Day 3 - 12/31

Meal 1: Blended kale (w/ coconut milk, chia seeds and banana) + pork

Meal 2: Chicken breast, 1/2 avocado, cabbage + apples, broccoli, pecans

Meal 3: Chicken breast, salsa, creamy root vegetable mash, broccoli

Evening snack: grapes and almonds

This was New Year's Eve, and I got invited to a coworker's house party to ring in the new year. I was so nervous; I'm still relatively new to the company, and I didn't want to seem weird! I wanted to fit in! I found it really easy to socialize anyways, though, and they had plenty of non-alcoholic options, including unflavored mineral water. I just drank that all night, had a few Whole 30-compliant snacks, and called it a win!! The best part was, no hangover or bloating in the morning. Man, I could get used to holidays like that.

Day 4- 1/1

Meal 1: Blended kale (w/ coconut milk, ginger, turmeric, banana, chia seeds), + chicken breast

Meal 2: Chicken breast, cabbage, root mash and broccoli

Pre WO Meal: Turkey breast and avocado

Meal 3: Roast beef, turkey breast, salmon, squash soup, stir-fried vegetables

Today was difficult, because I spent the afternoon and evening at my family's house. They're all very healthy eaters, compared to most of the population, but my eating habits when I'm there are completely out of control! They are very much grazers, and have food out in the open all the time; chocolate, nuts, crispy snacks, fruit, (lots of!) cheese, and cakes. Since I have very few (if any) of these foods at home, when I'm visiting I go pretty crazy with sampling bits of everything all day long. But! I managed to keep my snacking to a bare minimum, and was satisfied by the awesome dinner we had. My eating pattern didn't even raise any eyebrows! It went better than I thought; I was expecting to faceplant into a dish of chocolate covered peanuts like I usually do. Not today! 

Archived