Over 60 and starting first whole30

Although I know we will all be following the same guidelines, I'm concerned that my age will limit my success in the program so was hoping that there are others of my, ahummmm, somewhat advanced age that would like to partner up to offer encouragement. Looking forward to improving my health and dropping some pounds!

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Welcome to both of you! 

While weight loss certainly does slow down as age creeps up, it is only one small marker of success on the Whole30.  Successes such as improved sleep, clear skin, improved energy, level moods etc aren't limited by age at all!  Everyone has a unique context and will experience results that are in line with that context whether it's medical issues, age etc.

Here's a fun article with lots of markers outside of weight loss: http://whole9life.com/2012/08/new-health-scale/

57 here. Weight loss for me is glacial but there are side benefits that can outweigh (no pun intended) the weight loss. I am about fifteen pounds above my goal so weight loss is never going to be dramatic. I figure if I lose 10-15% of what I need to lose total in thirty days, it may not be an impressive number but it's a loss and not a gain.

Aside from that, take a few moments to read the testimonials or the A-Z potential side effects you might experience. For me, better sleep, more energy, better sinuses and less joint stiffness are definitely valuable gains.

I'm 64 as of this month.  Age doesn't have anything to do with it.  Okay, our weight loss probably won't be as awesome as someone young and male (have you noticed how easily men drop weight?  Grrrr……)  Anyway, good luck.  I'm just starting too.  Went shopping for stuff this morning.  Eating healthy is going to be expensive, isn't it?!  Keep in touch!

Hi soonslimmer. I'm pleased that there are a few of us that will work on making the paleo journey together. I know I benefit from the support of my peers and I have a long way to go to be as healthy as I'd like to be!

I'm 70 and starting the program on 1/1.  I've been eating per Grain Brain since August and want to continue using Paleo.  I'm also a Lifetime Weight Watcher and count points while eating Paleo. 

I am at goal, but my goal weight was set about 6 pounds higher than I'd like it to be now. I want to lose about 6 to 10  pounds.  More if I can manage.  Like someone else posted here, losing weight is glacially slow for me, so 10 pounds is a lot to aim for.

When I first cleaned out my cupboard and left grains behind, I lost about 5 pounds.  I was elated because I lost regularly for a month.  Then I hit a spell where I plateaued and began regaining a little at a time.  I wasn't doing anything differently.  After the regain, I know that I ate more of the foods allowed during vacation and the holidays. I haven't regained all that I lost and am hopeful that with this program, I can begin losing again.

I exercise faithfully.  Spin class, weight lifting, kettlebell swings, walking, water aerobics and pilates, so I have that in place.

I'm happy to find this group and hope that we all share success!

Dherself, welcome! I admire your success to date, and your discipline to keep going. I know, that in my case, decreased physical abilities have been a strong motivator. I have 5o pounds that need to come off for me to reach goal, so I'll be here for awhile. I also have fibromyalgia, high blood pressure, sinus problems and on and on and on. Lol! I used to think that they were just a part of aging, but after following the posts from others, I now believe that much of what I've been experiencing is simply my body's reaction to the foods I've been eating. And so the journey begins!

Ladies, here is a common question / dilema that all of us face.  What would you do in my shoes?  I invited 2 other families over for dinner this Saturday; our boys are all home from college and we want to see everyone.  The menu I decided on was lasagna because I can do it ahead etc. There is nothing on that menu that I can eat.  I could change my menu but at his point I am frazled by trying to come up with something else that is compliant but that you can feed to company. Or I can go off plan or not eat.  What would you do? 

Thanks! :)

Hi rave21! Welcome! Soonslimmer, I have the same issues frequently and have made one dish for none followers and a second for myself. There are some great paleo options using zucchini online. Today I have teens and others coming over for the ball game and opted to make a big kettle of paleo pumpkin chili for everyone. I know they'll love it..I just won't tell them what's in it! Lol. I've got a coleslaw and a cucumber salad on the side, and am making the paleo mock corn bread. Hope that gives you another option!

• Administrators

Soonslimmer, Lasagna is definitely an issue for a Whole30, that's a tricky spot.  Since you are hosting the meal at your own home I think you have more options than go off plan or not eat.  First, can you retain some of the ground beef and tomato sauce (assuming that sauce is compliant...if it's not, there are lots of them at the grocery store that are) and make yourself a layered "lasagne" with thinly sliced zucchini, meat and sauce? Top with some chunked up avocado.  You can explain to your dinner guests that you are trying to determine if you have a sensitivity to wheat and dairy, if they ask. 

You could also make a large fresh green salad and top yours with some cooked lasagne meat that you save before assembling the dish?  With a salad and seasoned meat, you generally can get away without dressing....sort of like a taco salad.

You definitely have options, sit down and think outside the box and get creative!

Good luck!

• Administrators

Hi Mavis,

Paleo mock corn bread sounds delicious....but hopefully you are making that for your guests and not for yourself while on Whole30?  No non-compliant items made with compliant ingredients when on the Whole30.

I'm way over 60, tagging in at 71, but started Paleo two years ago.  Need to do a serious Whole30 to start this year off right since I've found that I've started slipping too often.  Yes, I did lose 24 pounds, have gained 3 back, but want to lose another 22 this year and I need to bump it up with exercise and change my snack pattern quite a bit.  I've ended up eating way too many nuts as an easy go-to snack and need to prepare better all the way around.  Having others closer to my age will help.  My two "Paleo Pals" (my daughter and DIL) are too young to really relate to how much more difficult it is to lose weight as you age, so with your encouragement and a commitment to feeling as good as I know I can, I've joined this forum.  :)

Howdy...I'm 64, have been (more or less) Whole 30 compliant for several years...am substantially overweight, have high blood sugar lurking, joints don't like me as much as they used to, and i went off Advil, cold turkey, about a week ago...way too dependent on it to mask all those inflammatory symptoms...just ending the fourth eczema assault in past year...enough of this...

I walk, do pilates mat classes, used to do iyengar yoga...cooking is okay if i can make enough for the week...work at home, so temptation is ever present...

started a Whole 30 nearly 2 years ago and was 100% until spent an entire day walking in Vancouver and gelato was all i could find to eat...and have attempted starts several other times but they didn't "take"

i hate the way not being 100% is affecting energy, joints, attitude, skin...so...here i am...

btw, MAWCD, is might as well, can't dance...a somewhat useful catch phrase...

would love a sense of community, pals, encouragement...and hopefully i can contribute...

It's fun to see a group forming! Thank you to ladyshanny for the heads up on not eating the mock cornbread. I didn't realize that we couldn't follow recipes from the paleo sites even if they were ingredient compliant?! I have a lot to learn...that's why I'm here. Thanks again.

• Administrators

Aww...sorry Mavis! But I'm glad that you know now and got a chance to run through the rules again!

When I did my first Whole30 awhile ago, I was SURE that I didn't have a problem with any of the psychology surrounding certain foods. And it was not long at all that I was proven very wrong.

Eliminating things like "paleoized" breads, muffins, crusts etc really steers you towards whole foods and helps you examine your own personal relationship with the Standard American/Canadian Diet.

I'll be 58 this Feb. and would love to join your group! I was on here last Feb. for 30 days but never really had a "group" to belong to. I did well on the 30 days and lost about 9 lbs. but I've put it all back on. I'm doing my best to commit to a Whole 60 this time and then Paleo after that. Lots of issues, health wise, which I won't get in to now, but my Mom went on the Whole 30 with me last year and is doing it again this year. She is going to be 79 in May! She lost about 5-6 lbs. last time, and neither of us did any exercise, at all. She's a fairly recent quadruple bypass patient and has diabetes as well. Anyway, I say all that to say that if she can do it, we all can do it!
I know the title says over 60, but I'm hoping I'm close enough. Thanks for the concideration and good luck to you all.

Archived