Over 60 and starting first whole30

Day 11

Doing ok. Cooking a lot on the weekends and heating stuff up during the week. Made the 5-Spice Slow-Cooker Pork Ribs actually my husband had the day off so I gave him the recipe. Pulled out the crockpot and all the ingredients to make it easy for him. It was falling off the bone good. He wanted coleslaw with it so opened up a bag of pre shredded cabbage and mixed it with Paleo mayo and some vinegar. The 5 spice on the ribs was a bit different so next time my husband said he was going to play around with our spices and come up with his own rub. My husband and I had gotten into a bad rut where we didn't want to cook when we got home from work. So we would go out and have pizza or hamburgers once a week and sometimes we would have both during the same week. The Baby back ribs was so easy and so yummy that it will be taking the place of the pizza and hamburgers. Maybe not every week but every other week.

Hope you'all had a great week

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eating is going fine....humm..maybe I should say that I'm not having any trouble staying on track. LOL! I made the curried chicken salad for dinner, from Noms site, and it is excellent! My husband loved it! I'm trying to get my so what sore left leg to cooperate and am hitting the treadmill. Slow and sure, right? Glad we are at the halfway mark and still moving forward!

Amy, It really helps with you have a plan, and it sounds like you do!!! 

Day 12 for me.  I bought some sugar free almond milk for my coffee, instead of the coconut cream, which I really liked, but am thinking I might have an intolerance since the inflamation is so bad since I stated using it daily in my coffee.  I will use the Almond milk  for a week and see if that was the culprit.I really hope not because I think I like the coconut cream/oil combo more than half and half....is'nt it weird how one little thing like my morning coffee can take such a hold of me?  Ha ha I really related to the the daily email about being a stress junkie....I'm taking that one to heart and reading up on it.

Most of us here are heading into the half way part of this....whoo ho....not that I am there yet,,,,but I see it coming... :)

Have a GREAT day out there!

You folks are fun to follow. :wub: 

Regarding the almond milk, make sure it does not have any other noncompliant ingredients (like artificial sweeteners, including stevia; or carageenan).

Keep active everyone and Whole30 on!

Very new to this forum thing. I'm figuring out how it works so appreciate everyone's parience. . I'm doing whole30 along with my daughter. I have colitis and have been very sick at times. I'm on medication now but am being weened off. Hope Whole 30 will help. I'm so accustomed to having a restricted diet that it seems fine to me. I am careful about the vegetables. I cook them very well. So far so good. I do LOVE wine but am not having any. . I'm looking forward to being part of this forum. Thank you.

Welcome Aboard Lorraine, I'm also 61 and on day 12 so, just s wee bit ahead of you.  So far, it hasn't been too hard. It's fun to read what people are eating and get ideas, and to share the the ups and downs of daily W30...esp. for the first time, and it's nice to be with a group who have similar age related issues to complain about with.  LOL  :P  ......Isn't it nice that you have your daughter to do this with and I Hope this helps with your colitis. 

I made Salmon from Well Fed recope, the Afrique du Nord, along with the Rice Pilaf (cauliflower)...it was really good.  I do not like salmon much but have lots of it since my son fished in Alaska last summer and brought a lot home to us. It was great to find a recipe that makes me want to eat it.

Tonight, it'spaghetti, with squash....I find I have so many leftovers, I eat them now for breakfast AND lunch....which makes life easier, and besides, I like eating leftovers for Breakfast.

Have a GREAT day out there folks!!!!!

• Administrators

I made Salmon from Well Fed recope, the Afrique du Nord, along with the Rice Pilaf (cauliflower)...it was really good.  I do not like salmon much but have lots of it since my son fished in Alaska last summer and brought a lot home to us. It was great to find a recipe that makes me want to eat it.

That salmon is SO good, isn't it! Lucky you with a freezer full of salmon, I would be in heaven! You can also do the Well Fed Salmon Cakes with your salmon. I usually just dice up a couple medium sized tail end fillets and use that in place of the canned salmon and it is amazing!!

I have been MIA in my posts but following everyone else and it seems that this group is really determined to make it through the 30 days!  I am on day 16 and I have had great success with meeting the requirements of the program.  I have been trying new recipes.  One of favorites is the Sable Fish (Black Cod) and Fennel/Savoy Cabbage slaw dish that I found in January's Sunset magazine.  I am not normally a fish person in the winter but this changed my mind.  On another day I happened to be in the produce section at Whole Foods and one of the fish mongers was collecting ingredients and I asked him what he was making and he said Lobster Salad.  I asked about the ingredients and the only thing that wasn't compliant was mayo.  i asked if he would remove a portion before he put in the mayo and sell it that way.  He said sure so I made my Well-Fed Mayo and had a delightful lobster salad.  Pretty expensive so I won't be doing it all the time but what a nice treat. My biggest challenge food wise is that I don't tolerate night shades so no peppers or paprika.  

Any ideas on how to get that same pizazz without peppers?

I didn't go through any withdrawals until about day 8 and had some achey joints but that has passed.  I am still not sleeping through the night but I have had a lot of stress - mostly self-induced - and i am working on a daily meditation practice.  When I look at the Chinese Medicine Organ Clock, the times I wake up are between 1-3 (Liver - dealing with anger) and 3-5 (Lung - dealing with grief).  So I have some personal work that needs attention.  I know for myself, I get really caught up in the nutrition aspect and forget the emotional aspect.  

Still can't do much exercise because of the knee.  I see the surgeon next week and then I will know if it means replacement or something else.  I do yoga which is good in so many ways.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Hi bojibelle...glad you're still hanging In there with us. I'm having knee issues, too, that are slowing me down some, but I'm moving whatever will move whenever I can! I guess that's why it's good that we "of a certain age" can get together. I would miss night shades too if I had to remove them, but I've found that fresh ground ginger can give a good punch, or some horseradish. I've also found a great stoneground mustard that has some heat and wonderful flavor. Hope you can use some of them to substitute for your needs.

January 17 = Day 17, time flies when you are having fun! Welcome to all our new 'young at heart' members!

And it has become fun, grocery shopping is easier and less expensive. I never realized all the 'treats' were so expensive, not just monetarily but physically. And mentally...I felt old, so I acted old. Now, with less than 2 weeks to go, I'm wondering where the time went??

I don't whine (can u say crackers & cheese with that whine!), my mood is so much better (we have had setbacks...my car attempted suicide, it was resuscitated, family..Well, you know family drama) and I didn't strain a brain cell, I had no control over the situations. I like this 'new' me and want her stay around for the rest of my life.

I started exercising, not a lot just daily walking getting my 15 minutes of sunshine, PEMs 3 days week for 15-20 min. and walking/sprinting (my sprints aren't very fast..I will get better) 1 day a week. This is my next goal and that's why I joined the 21-day Primal Exercise Challenge. Those kids talk about exercising for hours, yuck! I am just doing their daily challenge in the morning before my brain wakes up, although now it's waking up energetic!

Anyway, have a good day all and grok on!!

On day 16 and plugging along well.  Having surgery on my knee next week which wasn't in the plan when I committed to Whole 30 Daily.  Not a big deal.  I'll pack a meal or two to take with as I should be home the same day as the procedure.  I'll have back up in the freezer too like cooked brined chicken, veggies, a meatball recipe concoction I made out of NomNom, yum!  Also have 3 day car trip planned before the end of the 30 days plan to be prepared for that. I guess I'm just choosing to honor my commitment for my betterment.

That salmon is SO good, isn't it! Lucky you with a freezer full of salmon, I would be in heaven! You can also do the Well Fed Salmon Cakes with your salmon. I usually just dice up a couple medium sized tail end fillets and use that in place of the canned salmon and it is amazing!!

I'm going to try that one!  Like I said, I KNOW Salmon is good for you,,,,,i Just don't like fish unless it's beer battered, fried and served with tartar sauce.  ha ha ha...doing what I can....

Started Jan 2nd and other than a tsp of soy sauce had been totally compliant. Have had an amazing amount of stress since Christmas, dealing with an terminal illness for my "stepmother" whom has been really terrible to me, but she is my dad's wife.......long story....but I have been her primary care giver until her son recently arrived

Not sure if the better sleep was diet or being relieved of my 24/7. Seem to have more energy, but clothes don't feel any different which is VERY disappointing.

Probably should try again when life is back to normal, but will continue this month because I started it.

Wow sexy..You have been going through an ordeal. I'm glad to hear that you now have a reprieve from the 24/7. Enjoy the rest, whether it's a result of exhaustion or the diet, and know that what you're giving your body in nutrition is making you stronger and healthier even if the inches are not falling away yet. Stay strong and know that others care.

January 18 - Day 18...Good Morning Adventurers! You will feel better soon...really you will.

My dh surprised me a trip to Las Vegas for my birthday (1/24...I will be 67yy), seafood buffet here I come!! This month just keeps getting better. My dh is not fond of fish.

I believe my immune system rebooted itself first and began sending memos to all the other organs, without the 'static' (insert S.A.D.) interference.

Anyone else have any ideas/information/opinions??

Hagd, Grok on!!

I am reading an ebook I picked up at Amazon, 'Step-by-Step Paleo' by Joanna Alderson. It's one month broken into four weeks of daily readings (less than 15 minutes) with links to other info. She gives its away for free the month before the next one starts. February is free now. I picked it last month free and only began reading it 2 days ago, I am playing catchup. There are 12 months of books or 52 weeks of change.

I like free stuff and it's amazing (at least to me) that this showed up on my radar last month before I decided to commit to this challenge; and then 11 days into this, the 21-day Primal Challenge (again free) appeared when I decided to incorporate exercise accountability into my life.

"When the student is ready, the teacher(s) will come". Now that's a truism.

Hi all.  I started yesterday, January 17.  Yay me!  I am 58, and have some health issues that have slowed me down (MS).  That slow down/lack of excercise combined with poor eating led to diabetes.  So I am here to tackle the thing I CAN have some control over!  So far so good.  I bought the book today, and look forward to learning more about what I am doing.  I was inspired by the older group postings, and look forward to joining you all in this adventure!

Welcome aboard healthyme....! Good luck to you!

Thanks for the tips Lazykitty...think I'll check that out!

Day 15, half way point.  so far, energy slightly better, no real whoo hoo..., achy still, maybe not quite as much...BUT....taking out all coconut products have helped with the hand pain greatly!!  Who would have thought I would be intolerant of coconut?????  It's such a mainstay of the paleo diet.  Rather bummed cus I love it.  I'm staying off all of it for now, and may eventually try to bring back coconut oil at least, if not the cream. It's rather ironic  that half and half never bothered me, but I can't have it during this W30, and coconut, which I can have causes me such inflamation.....so you never know.  When the time comes, my first addition will be the cream in my morning coffee, and if that goes ok, I'm golden...

I think it will be easy to figure out what is bothering your body when you try and bring things back into your diet after this. 

Have a GREAT W30 day out there folks!  Karen

I am on day 15 and today is the first day I have not awoken with a headache.  Yeah! I am 62 and have been eating pretty well for quite some time.  Going off the deep end over my birthday in late November through the holidays made me decide to do my first whole30.  I am hopeful that it will help me to plan my meals ahead in the future.

I don't think being older makes any difference in regard to the Whole30, although I am sure that I will not lose as much weight as younger people will, although my clothes are already fitting better and I wore a pair of pants last night that I could not get into at the end of December.  :D

I am 68 and just started the whole30. This is day 4 for me. I am feeling really crappy today, but I see that this is normal?!?! I feel as though I am eat more calories than I should. Any time I try to lose weight and get healthy, I cut back on calories. I am a vegetarian, so I am eating lots of fish and eggs! It just seems like a lot of food. Anyone else feel that way.

I am 68 and just started the whole30. This is day 4 for me. I am feeling really crappy today, but I see that this is normal?!?! I feel as though I am eat more calories than I should. Any time I try to lose weight and get healthy, I cut back on calories. I am a vegetarian, so I am eating lots of fish and eggs! It just seems like a lot of food. Anyone else feel that way.

Cherylb46 - Way to go!  You are going to feel like you are eating more than you used to.  Look into the Whole30 Resources and pull out the Meal Planning.  That really helps to remind you what your plate should look like. When I first went Paleo, I was vegan for about 1 year and that was not working for me.  Paleo does really take away the edge.  Don't forget the veggies!  One thing that I like when I don't feel good is a green salad with smoked salmon (without sugar - you can find at Whole Foods) or canned salmon.  I then add a few onions, capers, tomatoes, avocado and then top with EVOO and lemon juice.  It is so satisfying. 

So it is day 18 and I have a headache today.  Looking over my eating patterns yesterday, I realized that I used some Native Forest Canned Coconut Milk which has guar gum in it.  I have been using Aroy-D Coconut Milk in a Tetra Pak which does not have guar gum in it. Could that be the reason behind the headache?

So it is day 18 and I have a headache today.  Looking over my eating patterns yesterday, I realized that I used some Native Forest Canned Coconut Milk which has guar gum in it.  I have been using Aroy-D Coconut Milk in a Tetra Pak which does not have guar gum in it. Could that be the reason behind the headache?

Guar gum can cause this for some folks. Most of us are fine, but if you find you do better without it, it's great that you have an option.

Cherylb46, going from being a vegetarian to eating lots of fish (meat) is quite a change for your body. When I went back to eating meat after being a vegetarian I did it very slowly. Maybe you should cut back on the meat and eat eggs, seeds and some nuts for protein until your body gets used to having some fish.

I have found that eating a paleo diet has helped me to lose weight without counting calories. I do make sure that I eat plenty of veggies, though, so I am not tempted to eat too much of the calorie laden foods, meat and nuts.

Archived