Over 60 and starting first whole30

It's interesting to hear what everyone's post whole30 plans are.  Day 25 here and so I'm getting close!  I'm looking forward to reintroducing dairy (cream in my coffee, butter and maybe yogurt), and maybe legumes (peanut butter and soy sauce), but I'll continue eating nearly whole30 compliant.  My clothes are loose and I'm wearing some things I haven't worn in a while, so it's working, and with several sizes to go before I'm where I'd like to be, this is a comfortable way to get there.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sexy@sixty, good for you for plugging on! I am not sure how I would stay motivated if I was not seeing some changes.  I was able to wear a pair of pants last week that I could not get into on New Year's eve.  And...they were comfortable! Hopefully you will just wake up one morning feeling svelte.  Remember, this is about health, not about weight.  If your diet has had a lot of processed food in it, it might take awhile to start feeling better and seeing some changes. Simmie, whose post is right above yours, has a link to a website in her signature line with lots of great recipes online. I have tons of cookbooks and would be happy to share recipes with you if you are getting stuck in a rut. 

kbingy, no tiger blood for me yet.  Maybe only younger people experience that! :rolleyes: There are people who are sensitive to eggs so perhaps getting rid of them would help.  It does take some time to feel the effects of eliminating foods, though, so maybe your body is still in the process.

I woke up without a headache this morning, which I hope is the start of a new trend for me.  Maybe that elusive tiger blood is next!

Wow, I'm waayyy over 60 and it never occurred to me that it might be a hindrance. I'm only on Day 3 so I'm not going to predict how I'll do but the support is great. I'm finding new ways to make my food taste good without having the "white" things in it. No pasta, rice or breads is probably the hardest but even that hasn't been too hard. Have a great day and feel good!

How's everyone doing?  

I did not do a Whole30 in January but will be starting one on Feb 1.  Don't know why these first days of months are so important.  I might feel better faster if I just started tomorrow.  But I have some grain types of things I need to decide about.  Freeze them or what not.  And a nice container of hummus that I can't freeze I suppose.   ANYway.

Just thought I'd poke my head in and see how you old chicks are doing.

Welcome back Tinman...and welcome aboard Barb!

Day 22....hmmm...I slept through the night....(mostly)....I snowshoed for 2 and 1/2 hours....and I feel ok....a little tired, but not too bad....is it beginning?  The good part?  Finally beginning?  That would be nice.  

This is day one without eggs or nuts...but I don't think that is why I had such a good day since it's too early to tell.  I'm hoping it DOESN'T make much difference...cus I love me some eggs and nuts....

Hope all is well with everyone.  It's getting quiet around here. What did you all make for dinner last night? Tonight? I think I might venture into some Park chops tonight!

Later Alligaters.

Hello, I am sixty and try Whole30 for the very first time.  I have spent the last few days reading and researching and planning - trying to figure everything out.  Then today I spent the whole day hunting and gathering.  Whew!  This is a major undertaking - but I am committed to seeing it through.

• Administrators

Day 11 and starting to feel better. Not feeling so week and headaches are better! Still not sure how to navigate the forum and still have some questions about food and all, but doing pretty well!

Hey Cheryl, is there anything I can help you with?

50 and female here, day 12, and going strong.  haven't weighed, but I think my pants are looser.  That's my husband in the picture - he is roughly the same size he was at 17.  Now I ask you, is that fair???  LOLOL!  :-)  What are your best discoveries and greatest challenges so far?  My greatest discovery is "riced" cauliflower (so filling and fluffy, and I never liked cauliflower before) and my bigest challenge is avoiding chocolate....:-P

I am on day 5 and I really want to weigh myself! Before starting whole30 I was a habitual weigher! It is driving name crazy!

Stepping on the scale was my first cheat and the rest went down hill after that! Break one rule and the next one is easy. Its actually easier to stay on plan 100 percent.

50 and female here, day 12, and going strong.  haven't weighed, but I think my pants are looser.  That's my husband in the picture - he is roughly the same size he was at 17.  Now I ask you, is that fair???  LOLOL!  :-)  What are your best discoveries and greatest challenges so far?  My greatest discovery is "riced" cauliflower (so filling and fluffy, and I never liked cauliflower before) and my bigest challenge is avoiding chocolate....:-P

Your husband is kinda furry but cute! (I couldn't pass that up! ....lol!)

Kathikay,

Thank you for your advice about not weighing. I haven't done it, but it is hard. I am not feeling it in my body, and I used to weigh every morning. But, I am determined to stay true to the Whole30 commitment that I made. I really appreciate your encouragement!

One of the good things about this whole30 for me is learning how detrimental daily weigh-ins are.

We are having a blizzard here in New England and not taking part in pre-blizzard cocktails with my friends last night was a challenge. It is really the first time I have severely missed drinking since I started this.  Today is day 23 for me.  One of the best things has been trying recipes that I have had bookmarked for ages and not gotten around to making.

Hi all! I'm going to try to post....again.... I've been having computer problems so have been able to read of your progress but not post my support or personal situations. Congratulations on all of your successes! I'm kind of up and down, but am happy that my knee is better and the foot problem seems to be healing as well. I know their presence has hindered my progress, but the eating of healthy food is making my healing faster, I'm sure. Happy birthday to Lazykitty and welcome to all of the newbies.... Hope this posts..

Day 8!  How did that happen?  I am so glad I signed up for the daily e-mails since they remind me what day I am on.  Cognitive issues suck, so all the little tools are helpful.  Part of why I am loving the whole 30 is that I know what I can eat!  Other "diet plan" attempts have been too vague, or complicated!  Today for breakfast I had a yam and chicken - outside usual breakfast thinking, but it works!

I am a bit bored today - I recognize that food is a friend I have used for too long to deal with the loneliness I feel.  It's hard to make friends at 58, and the computer has become my "friend" which gets old after awhile!

Keeping on, one positive change at a time!

Hi....

I, too, felt really sick for the first week of my Whole30.  When I began to feel better, I really felt enegized.  No more foggy brain in the morning or headaches craving coffee or tea...... no more 3:30pm slump....and no more coming home exhausted and tired. 

I kept compliant all month and I am now on the 27th day.....and I have learned to really enjoy the protein and veggies for my first meal of the day.  I have felt my clothes fit better and actually fitting into things I haven't worn for a long time.  I feel really good. Can't wait to measure and weigh this weekend.  I am really eager to continue a paleo diet.  Although, I am not sure what the differences are between Paleo and Whole30.  Can anyone tell me?

I hope you have a good month!!  Stay determined!!  Success isn't the "end".....success comes in each choice that we make!!

:)

January 27-Day 27: Greetings all of the young at heart! My adventure is almost over. And I am looking forward to reintroducing the banned foods and watching/waiting for food sensitivity symptoms. This will be much easier now that I know what they (symptoms) are!

Then I can decide what to put back on our menus.

Every time anyone invited us out, I asked them if they'd like to eat at our house. Since my dh's family is thrifty, they said yes! There were no complaints, there was ample W30 food and I made baked apples with cinnamon & brown sugar for company and plain cinnamon apples for us. There were NO leftovers. If they don't ask, don't tell!

As for my adventure into the 21-Day Primal Exercise Challenge, I will have to repeat that! I wasn't a dismal failure, merely inept and I obviously need to do it in the AM before my brain wakes up.

I have enjoyed learning something new at my (67yy-in spirit I am younger!) age, I believe my thinking has become more flexible (not my body, yet) and I know that this way of eating is nutritionally sound. I am happier, healthier and I hope that I will continue to make wise food choices. If I dont, I will be back.

Have a good day ev1 and grok on!

Hi Cherryd... You'll find that whole30 is paleo but a much stricter version that is geared to giving you a jump start on healthier living and possibly helping you to discover what foods trigger a negative reaction in your body. W30 is not meant to last a lifetime but paleo can!

Day 8!  How did that happen?  I am so glad I signed up for the daily e-mails since they remind me what day I am on.  Cognitive issues suck, so all the little tools are helpful.  Part of why I am loving the whole 30 is that I know what I can eat!  Other "diet plan" attempts have been too vague, or complicated!  Today for breakfast I had a yam and chicken - outside usual breakfast thinking, but it works!

I am a bit bored today - I recognize that food is a friend I have used for too long to deal with the loneliness I feel.  It's hard to make friends at 58, and the computer has become my "friend" which gets old after awhile!

Keeping on, one positive change at a time!

I understand the loneliness comment... We moved to a new community and, now that we are older and no longer have the automatic link that comes with children and longstanding neighbors, it is hard to find a way to fit in. That's one of the reasons I started this thread...to find peers with whom to find and share support while doing this w30. As I'm sure you've learned...there is nothing that hasn't already been covered in this life by someone, somewhere. We just have to find it then share it to make it a little easier for the next person out there! :-)

Good morning my lovelies. Day 27 for me. Made the Italian chicken thighs last night. Quite good, cracklin' chicken was better ,but a lot messy-er to cook. Have attempted the mayo recipe twice, first time used cider vinegar and it was a throw out. Yesterday it was runny and when my back was turned SOMEBODY didn't have the bottom of the blender tight and next thing I know there is yellow oily ooze all over the counter. Maybe 3 is the charm! Have a wonderful day

I like lemon juice or white balsamic vinegar in my mayo.

I had a mayo fail until I bought an immersion blender. It's now my favorite kitchen gadget. Perfect mayo every time, and many other uses. I have a small kitchen, so I require "multi-tasking" from my gadgets.

January 28 - Day 28...2 days left!! Good morning ev1.

I make my mayo with an immersion blender also, I use hazelnut oil or olive oil. It never breaks. I haven't used vinegar, I use 1 tbsp of lemon juice. Mix mayo with homemade Sriracha sauce for spicy, avocado for dipping or lettuce wraps. Also try Nom Nom Paleo Lazy Devils, cut hard boiled eggs in half, put mayo/Sriracha on top and put prosciutto on top of that! No mixing yolks, less messy and ev1 eats them up and asks for more.

We moved to a senior community 2 years ago, there are a dozen new houses on our block and we are the youngest 'oldsters' (67yy)!! And probably the most active! lol

Anyway, have a good day and Grok on!!!

Good morning my lovelies. Day 27 for me. Made the Italian chicken thighs last night. Quite good, cracklin' chicken was better ,but a lot messy-er to cook. Have attempted the mayo recipe twice, first time used cider vinegar and it was a throw out. Yesterday it was runny and when my back was turned SOMEBODY didn't have the bottom of the blender tight and next thing I know there is yellow oily ooze all over the counter. Maybe 3 is the charm! Have a wonderful day

I think the Well Fed Olive Oil mayo is the best.  I make sure my egg and other ingredients are at room temperature.  It doesn't use vinegar but lemon juice and I love to beef the lemon flavor up a bit.  I use my mini-food processor to do it and it comes out rich, thick and velvety every time.  Don't give up!  It's completely worth it.  (I also use "light" olive oil as I don't want to be overwhelmed by the "greenness" of olive oil in the flavor)

Hazelnut oil....that sounds good. I've used macadamia oil, and it's very good, but it makes mayo a bit pricey, the way I go through it. Part avocado oil and part light olive oil is my usual mix.

Can you help me?   :wacko:  Where do I find all of the great recipes you all share.  I am having a little trouble navigating the forum and some of the other benefits for members.  Thank you.  And thank you, Mavis for the info.  I think I knew that whole30 was not forever, but I didn't know that paleo was something you can do forever.  I will have to check it out when I finish my 30 days.  

Archived