Over 60 and starting first whole30

• Administrators

Can you help me?   :wacko:  Where do I find all of the great recipes you all share.  I am having a little trouble navigating the forum and some of the other benefits for members.  Thank you.  And thank you, Mavis for the info.  I think I knew that whole30 was not forever, but I didn't know that paleo was something you can do forever.  I will have to check it out when I finish my 30 days.  

The recipes are from everywhere, cookbooks, internet blogs, self-created.  An excellent start is The Clothes Make The Girl (she's the author of Well Fed 1 & 2) and Nom Nom Paleo (she's the author of Food For Humans).  Most all of the recipes on these two sites and in these cookbooks are Whole30 approved.  

For the rest you just have to start with the links that people provide and start reading/looking.  Not all recipes are Whole30 approved as written but so many can be adapted by switching out a simple thing (like butter for ghee or eliminating sugar...just for instance).  Instagram is a good one (Whole30recipes).

What other "benefits for members" are you looking for on the Forum?  The best way to search the forum is to go to Google, type in "Whole30 + your question" and you'll get lots of results.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What ladyshanny said. I highly recommend both Well Fed cookbooks, but most of the recipes can be found on the author's website. I've collected recipes from around the web, but honestly, we like simple dishes most of the time. Sauces and seasoning blends are where I get adventurous and actually follow recipes.

As a recovering Weight Watchers Lifetimer, I am enjoying the simplicity of real food--it reminds me of when I was young, growing up on a farm with fresh everything every day.

I never become a lifer....on account of it never working for me.  :P  Oh well,

As for mayo...I use the WELL FED cookbook one as well, and like it.  I also really like that Practical Paleo and Comfort Paleo cookbooks.  I do go to the internet and find lots of good recipes but I really like having a book to look through, esp. when I am needing inspiration.

My last batch of Mayo was rather ruined since my husband asked me a question while making it and I forgot what I was doing and put the whole cup of Olive Oil in at once.....dang.....it wouldn't do the magic....so I let it sit in a jar...and later on, after it had separated, I poured the oil off the top, put the remains in the blender, then slowly added the oil this time...it kinda worked.  It was thiner than I would want mayo so I made it into ranch dressing...PERECT>>>.  Just in case you end up doing the same thing.  

Day 24...dare I say....tiger blood? I had some of that this morning....really nice...then after skiing for one and half hours, came home, ate lunch, and became a vegetable...but man, I liked it while it lasted....I'm finding more energy everyday now...who ho

Was fun reading through everyones' chatter today. I am hading out in a few weeks for a 10 week trip through the southwest in a tiny 17 foot trailer....trying to figure out how to do all those fancy things like making mayo when my kitchen will be so small....(almost nonexsistent) but the Immersion blender, what a good idea.  I will try that out next time...

We are many of us, coming to the next phase....post 30.  What are everyones plans?

I'll be 66 in July and I want to look more lean by then. I find myself dealing with weight loss as a necessity when my clothes don't fit and I want to wear what I've already paid for. I weigh about 137 pounds and my size 10 petites feel all right, but I bet they would look better on me if I weighed around 127-130lbs. I am loving the food on Whole 30 and feel better eating meats, vegies. and fruits. My bloating has disappeared since I cut out wheat, sugar, and dairy.  I, too, am sleeping better, have more energy, and less joint stiffness as well. Hope you continue to keep us in the loop with your progress. So, the next 30 days will be a bit of a challenge, but it should prove to be well worth the retraining. 

I am heading out in a few weeks for a 10 week trip through the southwest in a tiny 17 foot trailer....trying to figure out how to do all those fancy things like making mayo when my kitchen will be so small....

Sounds like an adventure!

I don't think you have to do many fancy things. Mayo with the immersion blender is easy-peasy; plus the tool has other uses and doesn't take up much room.

Will you be at a campground or RV park? I would keep meals simple. Grilled protein with grilled or steamed vegetables should be doable. Stock your tiny kitchen with some spice blends that you like to add some variety.

WW lifer, but many years ago.  Then came low carb, then paleo, but with much eating whatever I pleased going on in between!  

Day 28 done, and 2 to go before I put cream in my coffee!  I even bought it tonight.  I can't believe the month has passed already!  My clothes are loose and my SHOES are too-I didn't expect that.  My knees and hands don't ache much at all, so it's been a worthwhile endeavor beyond just the weight loss.  Now that I'm used to this, I think it's something I can continue (with added coffee w/cream) for a few months until I'm the size I'd like to be.  

Sexy@sixty-an immersion blender makes mayo easy-peasy, and Well Fed's recipe is great (just made it again tonight).  

Cherlyb46, Theclothesmakethegirl.com and nomnompaleo.com are amazing resources, as is the recipe sharing part of this forum.  Ladyshanny's advice was excellent, and google is your friend!  Searching "whole30" and my question has helped me many times this month.  

kbingy, your trip sound great!  I'd definitely find a place to stow an immersion blender.  You asked about post-whole30 plans.  I'm still about 3 pants sizes above where I'd like to be, so I plan to do some reintroduction of a little dairy, then legumes (I miss peanut butter and soy sauce!) then maintain eating this way for several months.  Then I'll probably shift to paleo-ish eating for maintenance.  How about you?

Rebe, Thanks for the tips...we will be staying in a lot of national campgrounds, or BLM lands, sans water, electricity and so power will be nill, or only what our solar panel allows us.  I do plan on grilling meat....and lots of salads...just thinking the variety might go down...I am also considering a small slow cooker, as I don't think they drain too much power, and it would open up a lot of possibilities but when you have so little storage, it's important to figure out what really is worth hauling....

Day 25....can't wait to weigh in....am I bad???  But I know I've lost because my clothes fit better....and I have measured!  

Hang in there buddies....I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.....and it looks like half and half...

Morning all.  After a bad night I realized that I had to start Whole30 asap.  While breakfast and lunch are whole30, dinner will not be but that's okay as tomorrow will be my day 1.  Yes!  On a Friday even!  The horrors.

I notice my mood becomes so horrible when I'm eating from "all the food groups".  I'm hypersensitive, weepy and angry.  And probably the rest of the seven dwarfs as well.  Mopey, Dopey, Grumpy, etc.

Anyway.  Long story short I ended up baking off a couple of chicken thighs last night and was able to have Chicken Thigh with Mayo for breakfast (which I adore) and carrots and half a grapefruit.  I began to put splenda on the grapefruit and said "Whoah -- I'd better get used to this again."  Lots of bad habits have "snuck" in.  Lunch happens to be Whole30 as well -- Nom Nom's spicy tuna patties on a bed of cabbage and lettuce with cucumbers and carrots on the side.  I'll add some olive oil and vinegar to the cabbage & lettuce after I eat my patties.

Dentist (or rather, peridontist) this afternoon for a long overdue cleaning which I am dreading.  But then . . . . Day 1 tomorrow.  Thank God.

January 29 - Day 29...wow!! Hope ev1 is feeling better, once 'carb flu' was over; I just got better and better. And so will you.

Anyway, I know I feel happier and lighter. No more food anxieties and very little snacking; absolutely NO cravings! That to me is amazing! I don't feel deprived, yes there are foods I miss but do I miss them enough to shorten my life span?? NO.

Our first day starts Saturday, I have to talk to dh and get his input about what he would like first. The Whole30 has us feeling really good, so maybe we will try dairy; as the results would be immediate. He is an ice cream addict, I think it freezes his brain or something! Lol.

Or maybe we will follow the W30 protocol.

Believe it or not, the 'Anti-Inflammation' diet aka Caveman diet does work if you choose to follow it. Grok on!!

You can do it!

Morning all! Glad this adventure is almost over but I can't say that there is any one thing that is calling me back to my former eating pattern. I think my bad habits have taken a serious hit and I am going to try to continue on track with this as my lifestyle. What I am happy to have is a bit more latitude in eating out or cooking without obsessing with ingredient labels quite so much. AND...I'm looking forward to a glass of wine with dinner or a shot of tequila! I've appreciated all your comments and support during these 30 days and maybe we'll cross paths again down the road. Of course we probably won't know each other because of our healthy svelt bods!

hi everyone,

Sorry I didn't get to post much, my eyes have been very dry since starting this journey,  I know that can happen and it's kind of tough being on the computer for long.   Other than that I feel great, my clothes fit (haven't weighed yet) and this way of eating just suits me very well.  No more shakes, yea!!!!!

can't believe there's only one more day left.  I really have no plans to deviate much, I really don't miss grains or legumes.  I'd like to have some stevia in my tea at night and maybe see if cheese is ok for me but that's really about it.   

Hope everyone has had some positive changes in the 30 days.  Congratulations to all!

Got word yesterday that my kitchen gets to be destroyed beginning Monday morning. I'm going to have to be as primal as I can but not having the kitchen will present whole30 issues that may ultimately be frustrating. We'll see. On the one hand I probably won't be able to cook much and in the other hand I may be able to forage without distractions. Anyway...I can do the best I can on avoidance but I'm going to have to be more flexible than a While30..... Maybe.

• Administrators

To all of you beautiful women who are on Day 30 today, CONGRATULATIONS!

It's been a pleasure following along on your journey. You ladies approached this adventure with open minds and hearts and really took to not only the food rules but the intent of the program and you should be very, very proud!

I haven't read through all the pages of this topic but this is AWESOME!!!

I love seeing the diversity of people taking on the same challenge. I wish all of you the best of luck and KNOW you can do this!

Much love!

LB

Thank you Ladyshanny for all of your support and good information during the w30! It's been a positive experience and I feel better than I have in a long time.

January 30 is Day 30!!! Good Morning ev1...thank you ev1 for all of your encouragement. This has been learning experience for me, especially regarding my habits.

Snacking doesn't happen. Because this was worst habit to break.

I don't have cravings because I do not eat sugar! This is has been an eye opener for me. Sugar is in many foods as an additive.

There is no reintro for sugar. This is very much a banned food!

Meal planning is much easier and now I am going to relearn eating veggies and fruits seasonally. We live in California and this can be challenging! Everything is available all year long!

Have a good day ev1 and Grok on!

Archived