Over 60 and starting first whole30

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well fellow pilgrims day 30 has arrived for me also. I have "mostly enjoyed" the voyage through this challenge. I am going to continue for a few more days. Still have a LOT of stress dealing with a 91 yr old dad who remarried a shrew, that now has pancreatic cancer, and is still bossy and trying to CONTROL everyone. Deep breath, deep breath. This too will pass. Thanks for all the support and stories. Good luck to you!

Day 15 for me tomorrow!  I joined my great granddaughters "Kickstart" group Jan 1, with goals to improve my health, meet my new dr, find a food plan that works for me, take my meds, and check blood sugar 2 x daily.  ihav e met them all.  So glad I joined that group, and that another member was doing the Whole 30.  Eating this way is a challenge, and every day I do it I am pleased that I am doing something for ME~ !  Makes me happy!  I do have a wicked cake craving.  But, it's just a conversation in my head, not anything worth eating!  Congrats to you all on your 30 today!

Thanks Ladyshanny, you have given lots of great support, and CONGRATS to all of you who have reached the magical day 30....(I am on 27)!  Sounds like quite a few of you will continue on in some fashion or another.  Keep posting how the reintroductions go for you.  I plan to continue Paleo, but not W30. Mostly if I can tolerate dairy, I will reintroduce....but the spirit of W30 will keep going.  I plan to not snack, no sugar, no grains/legumes....and to eat for health! ANd hopefully, put cream in my coffee, and cheese on my cauliflower pizza..yup, I will be trying that one soon.  (not sure if dairy is paleo or not?)

And for those coming up and along, it's a great journey....I feel so much better it's amazing.  I hit some rough patches, and had to rely on faith alone, but sure glad I did! Don't let those cake cravings rule ya!  :):D

Day 27 for me.  I am sending my husband off to Germany this evening and have chosen not to join him because I thought it would be too difficult to finish my whole 30 in a foreign country.  He is going again in the spring, so I will go then. I think I am going to continue on for another 15 days.

Reading your posts has helped me tremendously. Thanks for sharing.

January 31 = Day -0-, I want to encourage ev1 to continue on W30 because the results are amazing. At our age, weight loss (went from 177 lbs. to 166 lbs., 11 lbs. of bloating and discomfort displaced without a lit if effort on my part) is a wonderful byproduct of this program; more importantly many of the 'young at heart' folks are dealing with health issues we thought we'd never face.

Myself, I recieved my first 'for the rest of your life' med; it was for osteoarthritis. I was not happy, then the doc mentioned 'pre-diabetic' and I said 'heck no'.

And the rest is history and it's no mystery what my choices will be, I am saying a resounding 'No' to drugs.

So, I wish ev1 Good Luck, Good eating and the caveman says, 'Grok on'!

Boy, cookingmama....I really admire your commitment. Glad you have another opportunity in the spring.  I am definately trying full fat organic cream in my coffee in a couple days.....then sitting with that for awhile....if it goes OK, will add cheese in only if I have to, as in recipe or eating out!  Other than that modification, staying the course. 

Hello everyone...

I'm starting my first Whole 30 today.  Am 61 and it's refreshing to know that I'm not on my own in this age group.  My goal for this program is to see if I can pinpoint some of my food intolerance's and make me feel more energetic again.  First day already I'm struggling with menu plans.  I would rather be told what to eat and when.  Is there a set menu plan, day by day?  Looking forward to chatting to hear how we are all experiencing the program.

I am 62, female, and have struggled with my weight forever but especially in the last 8 years. Was diagnosed with Hashimoto's , and the results of my last blood tests were not great. After some discussion with my doctor, I went off the statin drug for cholesterol (numbers were unchanged, and statins seem to be only favored by the companies making them etc.) Have been gluten-free since late October, and I am on Day 21 of my first Whole 30. My goal is to de-toxify my body, improve my relationship with food, and improve on the results of my next blood tests in April. So far, I am feeling much better overall and feel more energetic. I have noticed less puffiness in my hands and knees. It is challenging to come up with menu ideas to keep some variety, and I have avoided eating out.

I am so happy to have found this forum!

Welcome to the new people to the group. Day 2 of my second round or day 32 of W30. There are great recipe ideas of the whole 30 Instagram, Nom nom paleo, or just type in whole 30 recipes. I think it takes a week or two to find your groove of this lifestyle, but worth the struggle that you may be going through at first. I post daily to help keep myself on tract.

LDC and Annia, if you really need a 30 day menu....there is a cookbook called Practical Paleo that has 30 day meal plans for many conditions, including Hashimotos, etc.  I really like the book as it has EVERYTHInG you need to know about Paleo and food intolerances etc.  Since it may not be 100% W30 all the time, just knowing that you can make it work.  For instance, none of the "desserts" or snacks would work during W30, but most if it is compliant. AND....wehn you are done, you  can look at those.

ONe more day....and Sexy I too am continuing with one addition...if, and its a big if, I can tolerate half and half.

Another Newbie

Having at last managed to navigate this site and have now arrived on this page, I would like to introduce myself.  I am 74 and live on my own in the sub-tropics of South Africa, so it is high summer with us now. I joined Whole 30 with the intention of learning how to re-define my eating habits.  I was a few kilos overweight and I felt I was relying too much on dairy products and blamed this for constipation.  This has not changed in spite of the lack of dairy and the enormous amounts of vegetables that I consume.

I chose the Auto-Immune shopping list because I have had polymyalgia rheumatica (inflammation of the muscles) for 8 years and wanted to experiment with non-inflammatory foods to see if it made a difference. I must admit it has been VERY difficult to find food to eat because I cannot have eggs, tomatoes, nuts or seeds, ghee, or quite a few vegetables, including white potatoes.

However, I have developed a pleasant relationship with sweet potatoes if I roast them or take them boiled with a slap of avocado on top and plenty of black pepper.  Little by little I am finding things that are tasty, but I find I need to snack between meals as a 6 hour break is just too long for me to go with nothing to eat.  Consequently I have been eating rather too much fruit (which I love) because I can't think of anything else to snack on in a hungry hurry, but I feel that so much fruit is perhaps a bit out of balance with the rest of the food I eat.

The good things I notice about myself since I started the programme - I no longer have itchy hands (cutting out gluten has done this), I have better energy and am getting on with doing things I would usually put off for another day.  I also notice the cellulite on my thighs is nearly gone - I have legs like a young woman again!  I reckon the pure foods have accomplished this.

I'd be interested to be in touch with anyone else of my age group who is on the auto-immune shopping list.

• Administrators

Hi Rose18Mary,

Congrats on arriving at Whole30.  I understand that you have a pre-existing condition but usually we would recommend you try a standard Whole30 first as, at its core, it is an anti-inflammatory program. 

As far as being hungry between meals, we don't expect you to go 6 hours without eating, first of all.  4-5 is the target we set for most people.  If you are hungry in between meals we recommend a mini meal of at least protein and fat, ideally also veggies.  We don't recommend having fruit on its own as it can mess with your blood sugar and ultimately your cravings and ability to rebalance your hormones optimally.  Fruit as part of the rest of a meal containing protein, fat and veggies, is totally fine.  Don't let fruit push those veggies off your plate though.

Hanging in and staying strong, but CHOCOLATE! I may be alittle hormonal, lol.  Can't wait to put THAT behind me.  Superbowl party was a breeze last night - I brought my own chicken and salad, and resisted all the treats with ease until...BUM BUM BUM!  The chocolate covered strawberries!  Proud to say I didn't even touch one.  I may still be the tiniest bit obsessed, though...;-)

Well, it's over officially....and I am having my beloveded half and half in the coffee with morning....will hope and pray all goes well. I hopped on the scale....down 9 pounds, lost two inches on my waist.  Yeah, I thought it would be more, but I am feeling a lot better...and for me, with Hashimotos, that is not bad....I AM keeping up the Paleo diet, and trying HARD not to snack, and to keep to the principals of W30....3 meals of protein fat and veggies..ta da!  

Good luck to all of you out there starting out....it's worth it! And to those of us who are now finished, at least with this portoin of the game, Have a GREAT paleo life!

Day 20!  I called my doctor office yesterday because my daily blood sugar levels are lower, and she told me to reduce one of my medications by half!  Sooo happy to be doing the Whole 30 and making healthy choices daily!  I'm also in an online women's health group that my grand daughter started in January, but that ends at the end of February since she transitions it to folks who are doing the plan she follows - Beachbody, I guess.  So I need to link and connect with women here so that I continue to have support as I make changes!  Thanks for being here!

Hi Rose18Mary,

Congrats on arriving at Whole30.  I understand that you have a pre-existing condition but usually we would recommend you try a standard Whole30 first as, at its core, it is an anti-inflammatory program. 

As far as being hungry between meals, we don't expect you to go 6 hours without eating, first of all.  4-5 is the target we set for most people.  If you are hungry in between meals we recommend a mini meal of at least protein and fat, ideally also veggies.  We don't recommend having fruit on its own as it can mess with your blood sugar and ultimately your cravings and ability to rebalance your hormones optimally.  Fruit as part of the rest of a meal containing protein, fat and veggies, is totally fine.  Don't let fruit push those veggies off your plate though.

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I wasn't sure where to do that. I am trying to find out how to find the food log that others have mentioned. I am on day 22 and still have not found this. I love reading all of the positive quotes on this forum. They are all helpful to helping me stay on track.

Day 20!  I called my doctor office yesterday because my daily blood sugar levels are lower, and she told me to reduce one of my medications by half!  Sooo happy to be doing the Whole 30 and making healthy choices daily!  I'm also in an online women's health group that my grand daughter started in January, but that ends at the end of February since she transitions it to folks who are doing the plan she follows - Beachbody, I guess.  So I need to link and connect with women here so that I continue to have support as I make changes!  Thanks for being here!

That is so awesome about your blood sugar levels dropping. Mine have also dropped. I have not taken medication for my diabetes, but have been worried that I may have to start. This is the main reason I started whole30. It is making a difference!

• Administrators

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I wasn't sure where to do that. I am trying to find out how to find the food log that others have mentioned. I am on day 22 and still have not found this. I love reading all of the positive quotes on this forum. They are all helpful to helping me stay on track.

You can create one here: http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/24-your-whole30-log/

Just start your own thread. :)

SO my waist is definitely smaller on Day 23, and my clothes fit differently - better! I've always had to lumber out of bed and move like the tin man, all rust and frozen joints, until things warm up and I can walk like a human, lol.  These days, my joints feel really good, and there's less freezing up whn I sit too long, less bloating, less pain.  I feel enough of a difference not to want to stop.  I may eventually eat the occasional chocolate, but for now I'm happy to stay on it.  It's surprisingly easy, and if my family really wants something I can't have, I just pop a chicken breast in the oven, a sweet potato in the microwave, and I blanche some veggies or make a salad.  Often I can emulate what they're having and I don't feel deprived.  If it's something like pizza, even though I might have desperately wanted a piece at the beginning, by the end of my clean meal I felt great, and I remembered how yuck I felt when I did eat the pizza.  My husband's reaction when he eats it is enough to remind me, if I've forgotten.  I really don't miss the bloating, the cramps, the fatigue, etc. Food is becoming fuel instead of entertainment, although I still do the fruit "dessert", and rely heavily on raw almonds as a snack.  Comsidering where I came from, though, I'm very happy.

Hi Everyone;  By the end of my first Whole 30 I lost about 7 pounds, bloat was gone, and best of all, pretty much all joint pain was gone.  A week and a half later and after eating regular food - joint pain is back along with various other aches and pains.  I'm going back on the Whole30 today and staying there.  I felt better than I do now, so why not?  It was easier to do than I expected and I barely missed the nasty stuff.  The 7 pound weight loss was in spite of being hypothyroid as well, so that's like a small miracle.

Hi Shirley1101. Glad to see you starting the journey! You're body will thank you. I'm finished with the w30 and have allowed some items for reintro into a more relaxed program. I've lost 10# on the program and have lost a little more since resuming a less scheduled paleo, but will continue to follow many of the guidelines. I just feel better. I had some setbacks (injuries) that prevented me from exercising but came away better than when I started .

Archived