Over 60 and starting first whole30

I'm 66 and this is my first whole30.  I had surgery for colon cancer two years ago, am cancer free now but have some issues with IBS if I eat to much fruit or raw vegetables.  I really like to exercise - doing pilates, walking, and some weight training.  Looking forward to getting encouragement, support, and sometimes redirection from all of you.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone, I will be 67 yy this month.

I am looking at this as an adventure, not a punishment. At our age everyone is struggling with some sort of health issue. I personally really dislike the loss of my independence. It annoys me when I can't do the things I used to do. And it will only get worse if I don't do something now.

So, I am embracing my 30 day adventure. And I look forward to hearing from other 'older young at heart' folks.

I'm close!  58 and ready to begin my first Whole30.  I figure it's nice to be a novice at something at 50 plus!  I have to admit that I am much more of a person that will read and not post too much but I am READY for this new venture

I'm starting today, too, and have spent the morning between the Rose Parade and a more thorough review of the rules and guideline, lol. I'm thankful for each of you who have linked to this forum. I had no idea there would be so many who would link up so soon after my initial start of this site. I'm looking forward to your input, support, and the guidance from our moderators! Here's to a healthier 2015!

I started today.  For breakfast I had 2 fried eggs over a bed of greens which also contained 2 slices of bacon and tomato slices and onions.  We drizzled some balsamic vinegar over the greens, and it was delicious.

For lunch I just had a salad of greens, a hard boiled egg, green, yellow and red peppers, onions, tomato slices, about an ounce of crumpled goat cheese and an ounce of left-over steak strips.  Again I used balsamic vinegar because I like it better than dressing.

So far, so good.  As long as I can keep the hunger pangs at bay, I'll be fine.  I do have some more hard-boiled eggs ready in the frig as well as some hummus and carrots and some clementines to stave off hunger.  I also have raw almonds, which is a good snack for me, but I can get in trouble with eating too many of them, so I've set a limit on those.  We have some left-over beef and chicken for snacking also. 

Tonight will be turkey chili and salad.  The chile has no beans but it contains lots of vegetables. 

What are you guys eating today who have started?  I'm hoping for some ideas!

hi everyone!  I'm 59 and looking to overcome a few food addictions that keep cropping up even though I'm eating pretty close to whole30.  I've been mostly eating Primal on and off for a couple of years, started slacking and letting carbs slip back in more times than not.  I've been pretty good for the last 2 months eating Primal/Paleo but I've got some skin issues/allergies that I'm wondering could be elliminated by doing the program.  Challenges for me will be cutting out the cheeses, dark chocolate at night, and getting the hidden sugars out of my diet.  Another habit I need work on is eating way too many nuts as snacks!   I already feel so much better after the last 2 months of primal eating but I know I can feel even better with some additional tweeking to my food plan.   

1/01/2014 - 1:50 PM (pst) Happy New Years to everyone!

I am a FLYbaby (acronym for 'finally loving yourself'', it's a free website about helping us de-clutter our homes; much like this website is for de-cluttering our kitchens and our minds. It's all about baby steps! Fly babies unite!

Also I enjoy Nom Nom Paleo website. She has a Whole30 approved recipe section on her website. B/L/D! Borrow/appropriate approved recipes.

I have decided to rotate the same 3 breakfasts for two weeks, ditto lunch (probably leftovers) and dinner will be crockpot, stir frys and soups and salads. My snack is crockpot chicken broth.

Dherself - If you're doing the Whole30, there's no goats cheese I'm afraid (no dairy) and if your hummus has legumes like chickpeas those are non-compliant too. If you like dips, you'll be glad of Baba Ganoush recipes! :Dhttp://eatdrinkpaleo.com.au/how-to-make-baba-ganoush-eggplant-dip-recipe/

Redskater - If you're snacking because you're hungry, you may need bigger meals :)

Thanks.  I had forgotten about the cheese.  I've been doing Grain Brain for 4 months, and it's allowed on that.  Hummus also.  I'll make adjustments.  Hadn't eaten any hummus yet, but did have about an ounce of cheese.  Tomorrow is another day!

I'm 58 and this is my second Whole30 would love to join the group but I am not going to start till the 4th or the 5th.  I look forward to a group that I can be accountable with.

Hi Cyndi Lou, I am 61 and starting my first W30 on Monday the 5th as well...Would love to have a couple buddies to tag along with here in this group as well.  Also, Im hitting Austin this March for the first time to visit my nefhew....maybe you can give me some advice on where to eat there....ha ha ha...if at all possible.

I am cleaning out cupboards now, shopping and reading up!  The morning coffee without cream will be my first big test...karen

Hi  I am going to be 72 this month.  I did my first whole 30 in Aug and tried to eat Paleo after that.  I felt I had gotten to far off track over the holidays and wanted to do a reset.  I am going to do it for 30 days also. 

I had breast and lung cancer 2 years ago and I  was looking for healthier options and wanted to control inflammation.

The hardest part for me is not having my coffee with stevia and almond milk and going out to eat where I can't be sure what is in my food.

I follow Nom nom paleo and The clothes make the girl.

Meal1.   2 eggs 1 piece bacon, sweet potato hash, spinach and avocado.

Meal 2.  Ground beef patty, baby spinach and arugula with pomegranate seeds and Tessame's lemon garlic dressing.

Meal 3.  Roasted chicken w/roasted root veggies cooked with ghee or olive oil.

Good luck everybody. It really isn't that hard and you will feel great after doing it.

Mavis,

I just turned 57 and actually did the Whole 30 in September and had tremendous success.  My age did not slow my progress down in the least.  Unfortunately, beginning in late October, I chose not to follow the program...no excuses, it was my choice...however, I have decided to begin again tomorrow...and I am looking forward to it!!  I believe the key is to enjoy the journey and focus on the positive...and there were many positives for me!!  I typically do not join forums, however, I truly believe in the Whole30 and look forward to hearing other tips and success stories!  Best of luck to all!!

Day 1 done and only 29 to go! I have found in the past that I have to watch my overall carb count if I'm going to lose weight. Even eating the "right" carbs...veggies and very little fruit...I haven't been losing easily. I seem to do best with keeping spaghetti squash cooked up and using it for bulk then topping it with kale and/or roasted root veggies. Depending on the meal, I can vary the protein...eggs, meat, fish, sometimes soups or chili, and come up with a variety of flavors. It's more doable for me to keep it simple like that.

I am 62 years old.  I don't exercise, though I know I should.  My husband and I tend toward eating a paleo diet, but this holiday season I "went off the wagon" very badly.  After reading about Whole30, I have decided I need to get started eating right again and this will be a good way to start.  I need to clean out my cupboards tomorrow of all the Christmas stuff, plan a week's meals, and go shopping.  Then I will start on Tuesday.  I hope to get a lot of support on this bulletin board.  Looking forward to getting to know you all over the next month.

Hello again!  I read up on the forum about the daily emails....think I might go for that!  First time ever doing this so I think it would be a wise investment.  Heck, I spend 15 bucks on junk sometimes, so why not spend it om myself?  Thanks for the heads up of blog pages.  I've visited them and bookmarked them so I can get some help with recipes, etc. Very informative.  I still have three days before the big date so am looking to make things ahead of time on Sunday.  Anyone have any items, bought or made ahead of time, that they think are stables in the W30 kitchen?  I just looked at my gem wraps, and found they had soy in them. DANG....thought they were a good little helper for when I am gone for the day and need to pack a lunch...that is my next quest, to find packable lunches.  the ones where you can't get to a microwave, etc....Good luck to those who have started already.  Love reading about your daily meals.  

:)

Morning everyone!  I woke up with very few aches and pains, I was startled by how easily I got out of bed.   :D This really is an anti-inflammatory diet.  And yesterday I thought the sugar dragon would visit, but eating this way kept my blood sugar even and not like a roller coaster effect.  Wow, wtg!  No carb flu, we gave up dairy and grains in 2011, when my dh had cancer.   I miss the smell of baking bread and I miss sausage gravy and biscuits, but....I love my body a lot more and now I am going to prove it...for 30 days at least!

Thank you for listening to me vent/rant/rave!  Have a good day everyone.  Talk to you later.  

Hello again!  I read up on the forum about the daily emails....think I might go for that!  First time ever doing this so I think it would be a wise investment.  Heck, I spend 15 bucks on junk sometimes, so why not spend it om myself?  Thanks for the heads up of blog pages.  I've visited them and bookmarked them so I can get some help with recipes, etc. Very informative.  I still have three days before the big date so am looking to make things ahead of time on Sunday.  Anyone have any items, bought or made ahead of time, that they think are stables in the W30 kitchen?  I just looked at my gem wraps, and found they had soy in them. DANG....thought they were a good little helper for when I am gone for the day and need to pack a lunch...that is my next quest, to find packable lunches.  the ones where you can't get to a microwave, etc....Good luck to those who have started already.  Love reading about your daily meals.  

:)

Kbingy - The daily emails are great and really help to keep you on track.  The best helper is to plan and do prep one day a week.  Then you can just grab and cook or grab and eat easily and not get sidelined.  Go to Clothes Make the Girl and learn how to make her mayo for the fantastic tuna salad recipe in Well Fed 1.  no need to microwave that.  I also make up a bunch of soups or casseroles and freeze them but of course you need a microwave for them.  You might try the stuffed grape leaves recipe in Well Fed 2.  I also like the Scotch Eggs in Well Fed 1for a cold lunch.  Also one of my quick lunches that helps when you are gong through the first week or so is canned salmon (smoked if you can find it without sugar) on romaine lettuce with capers, diced onions and avocado and olive oil and lemon juice.  The fat is good for you and helps with the withdrawal from sugar and grains. Have fun!

I'm so glad to find this group of over 60"s.  This is my first Whole30 and yes, I would like to lose 20 lbs., but I would also like to have more energy, less joint pain, and the knowledge that I am fueling my aging body with healthy food.  Here's to us and Happy New Year!

so day 1 has come and gone...ate my burger wrapped in lettuce and did not even touch one of the wonderful fries this place makes...so onward...i'm gonna memorize your timeline and see if that helps...i am not a patient person...

but i really appreciate the 3 thumbs up you'all gave me...i'm still figuring out how a forum works

and, now, before i start ranting and complaining and turn this into a pity party...gonna force myself out the door to pilates mat class...at the end of class is only time my hips, knees and back don't bug me...

we will do this...and to quote a wise ant...to infinity and beyond...

update later that same day...not only walked to class...class was good...houseguests not so hot...dealing by hiding in my office upstairs and ignoring them...

real reason for the update? walked out of pilates studio WITHOUT taking one single bit of chocolate that they keep in a bowl by the shoes...and passive aggressively mentioned the  mess left in my kitchen and admitted to it being passive aggressive out loud...felt Wonderful...better than eating even...may it continue

• Administrators

Hi MACWD, your burger sounds yummy, one of my favourite things to eat. Did you make sure and ask them if they use any filler such as bread crumbs, oats or rice flour in the meat? I have one place that doesn't so that is where we go when on Whole30. Sneaky ingredients!

Archived