Over 60 and starting first whole30

good morning!  last night was the first time in a long while that I didn't have my nightly dark chocolate and I didn't snack before bed either!  This is probably the biggest challenge for me to conquer during the 30 days.   Breakfasts are the easiest for me since I usually have a couple of pastured eggs, and some avacado.  I've always done my coffee with coconut oil and coconut cream whipped up frothy so it's rich and creamy.  I need the fat in it to keep my blood sugar stable and it works like a charm.   

I'm making the "Chocolate chili"  today.  I'm hoping the chocolate flavor isn't to overpowering cause not sure my hubby will go for it.  I'm not telling him what's in it!  Also going to saute up some asparagus, mushrooms and onions in ghee, it's yummy and easy and reheats well.   

Boy, I was totally unaware of all the hidden sugars in so many spices!!!!! ugh!

have a great day! :D

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning all. Just finishing my spaghetti squash topped with chili and an egg breakfast. Yum! Thinking of you, kbingy, and one thing I eat cold is a frittata. There are several legal option out there combining meat veggies spices and eggs that are truly delicious. I made a 12 inch one for Christmas breakfast that was devoured by the morning crowd. You could make a pan and cut it into slices for a couple of days. If your into "savory" and have a way to keep it cool it might work for you.

Thanks for the great lunch ideas all...I DID sign up for the daily emails...and now am spending way too much time Sitting and looking at blogs and recipes...ha ha ha...but hey, ya gotta do it to find all the great info...I also cross country skied for over an hour, so it's all good.  I am SO looking forward to not feeling so much joint pain....as I hear this helps with that.  I also wonder if anyone out there has used any whole 30 cookbooks?  As much as I like perusing the internet, I often just really want a cookbook at my disposal....I do have a couple of paleos,,,so in light of the rules here, I can get some recipes from there...I also love reading what people ate everyday as it gives me great ideas as well.  OK, I am off to eat one of my last non whole30 meals, but it's not all bad...just not kosher.

Thanks for the great lunch ideas all...I DID sign up for the daily emails...and now am spending way too much time Sitting and looking at blogs and recipes...ha ha ha...but hey, ya gotta do it to find all the great info...I also cross country skied for over an hour, so it's all good.  I am SO looking forward to not feeling so much joint pain....as I hear this helps with that.  I also wonder if anyone out there has used any whole 30 cookbooks?  As much as I like perusing the internet, I often just really want a cookbook at my disposal....I do have a couple of paleos,,,so in light of the rules here, I can get some recipes from there...I also love reading what people ate everyday as it gives me great ideas as well.  OK, I am off to eat one of my last non whole30 meals, but it's not all bad...just not kosher.

I've got both of the well fed books and I highly recommend them.  I'm not that into cooking, hate long lists of ingredients so her books are perfect for me.  Easy to prepare and I haven't tried one that i didn't like.  Just made the "chocolate chili" wasn't sure about this one but it was a big hit, I wish I had doubled the recipe cause it is way too good not to eat a few times a week!  I Made the mashed califlower to go with it and scooped the chili over it, awesome!

when i sat down and opened the forums i had something wise and pithy to say...then i got lost in passwords and such and now i have not a clue what i was going to say...damn...perhaps brain fog will life after Whole30...

someone mentioned eating cold fritatta...tuna works well with sun dried tomatoes and onions...

would like to share the best ever way to cook boneless, skinless, healthy farmed, chicken...melt a bunch of coconut oil in cast iron...oven at 425...coat meat with oil...using spice mix, generously,  that Emeril calls Essence, both sides...much will end up in the oil, but that's an added bonus...i cook 12-15 minutes per side because i like well done chicken...then any extra oil gets poured over the chicken before you store in fridge...and when you use the chicken you have wonderful seasoned oil to slice into the salad or whatever...

use on salad, add to stir fry, mix with any previously cooked veggies...same idea works on ground beef or pork too...

I am 66, starting my first whole 30 at my daughter's insistence.  Day 1 today, and I have a headache.  Guess this is normal?  I am concerned about eating eggs for breakfast every day, and how to make a green salad taste better than the vinegar and oil I tried tonight. gakkkk!  My husband is not participating,  so my refrigerator, pantry and dinner table are NOT compliant.  How do others cope with these issues?

I am 66, starting my first whole 30 at my daughter's insistence.  Day 1 today, and I have a headache.  Guess this is normal?  I am concerned about eating eggs for breakfast every day, and how to make a green salad taste better than the vinegar and oil I tried tonight. gakkkk! 

No need to have eggs for breakfast every day. Google Whole30 non egg breakfasts for past discussions on lots of alternatives, including leftovers. Start with reframing it as "meal 1."

Lots of salad dressing options you can make with homemade mayo, avocado, and oil and various herbs/spices. Again, Google is your friend.

I'm in. Paleo since July, and feeling great. The holiday season took me off track for a minute, but I am ready to complete a whole30 with no problem. Looking forward to some fabulous results. I know that there are those of you who think age is a factor that will make it difficult for you but trust me, once you experience feeling better and having so much more energy you will feel younger and that's what it's all about. I am 61 and haven't felt this good in years.

Try nom nom paleo (website) she has whole30 approved recipes in one section and a cookbook "Nom Nom Paleo-Food for humans"!

But the best book is "It Starts with Food" by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig...the folks that started whole9 and whole30. They have master recipes in their book and a cookbook coming out in april.

Hope this helps and good luck everyone!

Hi Everybody,

I just turned 67 and am starting my Cook Up (Well Fed's plan) today. I am following her Week One menu, bought the groceries yesterday. I would like to establish some good habits, so I think I'm going to plan my meals and check pantry on Thursdays, shop on Fridays, and cook on Saturdays. For me, I have found I have to plan and have the food ready, otherwise I find myself at the drive-thru. In the past I have tried to plan, shop, and prepare all on the same day and that's overwhelming. Then before you know it you're not doing any of it. Like I said, I need to establish some good habits. Here we go...

Hi I am soon to be 63 and love that there is a forum for those of us whose metabolism is not quite what it was when we were in our 30's.

This is day 2 for me. This morning I made a fritata with broccoli, mushrooms and red onion! For lunch I will have the second half of what I baked last night, free range organic chicken breast with roasted carrots and broccoli.

Today I will be shopping for pasture butter to make clarified butter and pasture eggs (which thank the maker are available on our lil Puget Sound Island).

Cheers everyone! Keep up the good work. Love everyone's ideas...and really love that I can have bacon! (the right pasture raised bacon)

Update!  3:40 pm PST We have clarified Butter from pasture raised cows!  (Organic Valley Cultured Pasture Butter-I forgot what real butter tastes like!)  Processed Kale for the week, cut in thin strips and ready to eat raw or sautéed w/garlic and mushrooms....

okay...how does one reply to a specific post?

the newbie who said she wasn't into crossfit and wondered if this was the right place...i wouldn't touch crossfit with a long pole...

and couldn't do it even if i were inclined to hurt myself...so...welcome

i believe the baseline is just move 20 minutes a day, walking is always a good idea, and get up from in front of the computer for a few minutes at least once an hour...

okay...how does one reply to a specific post?

Click Quote in the lower right corner of the post to which you want to reply. You can also remove the parts of the quote that aren't relevant to your comment, like I did. Quoting also notifies the original poster that someone commented on their post.

I'm 52, but feel much older, so I hope I'm welcome!  I started on the 1st.  So far, so good, but I've been cooking (and washing dishes) constantly!  I'm definitely missing convenience foods.  And today (day 3) I'm exhausted!  Hoping that I'll be feeling better by Monday.  I would like to drop some weight, but I'm most interested in seeing if my joint pain (hands and knees) might be related to diet.  I can see grandchildren coming in a few years and I'm realizing that I'd be a pretty dull grandma in the shape I'm in.  I was thrilled to find a group of women on the forum that I could identify with!

I'm 52, but feel much older, so I hope I'm welcome!    I was thrilled to find a group of women on the forum that I could identify with!

Hi Amy52! You are most certainly welcome. I an identify with the cooking and dish washing. I hit that hard today, too, but I'm trying to make double recipes so half can go in the freezer. That helps. This morning I made a 12 inch frittata and cut it into portions, had leftover meatloaf and roasted veggies for lunch, and have a lamb roast and salad ready for dinner. More leftovers! Yea!

I'm glad to have been busy today with "need to do items" because my energy level has been low today. When that happens its easy to get down and look for "quick fix" energy boosters.....we all know what they are! I'm maybe just starting to feel some withdrawal since this is day 3. It's almost done so a successful day and on to tomorrow!

I am going to start on Monday.  This will be my second Whole30.  Yes  when I did my first one mid September I felt like I was always in the kitchen cooking and cleaning.  I must tell you it was all worth it.  There was also something that  made me feel really good each day (even though phyisicaly and mentaly I was grumpy and felt bad) knowing that I was sticking to the plan that was way more satisfying than the food and alcohol i wanted..

Something very rewarding about deciding to do something and sticking with it no matter how hard it was.  I can't really put it into words.  As i look back on this and how i did it i now i realize that it was because i started out with a mind set that number ONE I AM GOING TO DO THIS, IT IS ONLY 30 DAYS OF MY SO FAR 58 YEARS OF LIFE.  

I think that with that my thoughts where more on the  cooking and cleaning and not on my eat what ever and drink a bottle of wine each day.  Looking forward to Monday and hoping to do 90 days to really change my habits.  omg 2015 is going to be the best ever. :D

I have great memories of my mom cooking and making wonderful food even thou we where very very poor she always made sure we had food that she made most from scratch.  I was at the grocery store today and bought ox tails something I remember from my childhood.  Cant believe how much they cost but looking forward to finding a compliant recipe . 

There is really something so much more satisfying when you cook it yourself with love and purpose.

Love and kiss to all of you on this journey to health. Going outside of the box and making a difference in your life.  love you all 

Click Quote in the lower right corner of the post to which you want to reply. You can also remove the parts of the quote that aren't relevant to your comment, like I did. Quoting also notifies the original poster that someone commented on their post.

thank you...i keep forgetting to sign in and then the quote button isn't there...i can learn, just need to be smacked up side the head with a 2x4 first...

I'm 52, but feel much older, so I hope I'm welcome!  I started on the 1st.  So far, so good, but I've been cooking (and washing dishes) constantly!  I'm definitely missing convenience foods.  And today (day 3) I'm exhausted!  Hoping that I'll be feeling better by Monday.  I would like to drop some weight, but I'm most interested in seeing if my joint pain (hands and knees) might be related to diet.  I can see grandchildren coming in a few years and I'm realizing that I'd be a pretty dull grandma in the shape I'm in.  I was thrilled to find a group of women on the forum that I could identify with!

your joint pain will at the least be better and likely, depending on your former eating habits, be BETTER!

i can tell by my knees whether i ate stuff i shouldn't...even before committing to the Whole 30

i cook (just me) a week's worth of beef, pork, chicken, always have eggs, veggies...then i just "shop" my fridge for meals cuz i'm way too lazy and inconsistent to cook every day...

Reporting on Day 3...tired and started out achy...but both got better just through the day...however never even went outside...sat and worked at my computer...and ate well

most importantly...got ticked off at adult daughter who's staying in basement (mid 20s) awaiting fiance's arrival to buy a place...and did NOT eat the chocolate covered almonds on the coffee table, or even grab that Lara bar in the cupboard...yes, i am feeling quite smug and capable at the moment

my relationship with food for all these decades have mostly been about eating when bored, frustrated, hurt, ticked off, happy, sad...whatever...

will let you'all know how that works out tomorrow...

Hi Mavis

Me, too.  I hit 68 this month and just finished my 2nd day even though I started "Day 1" twice as my husband decided to join in to help his sleep and to slay the sugar dragon and we wanted to be on the same "day".  For me, I want to say good by to some extra pounds, eat clean and non-compulsively.  So there you have it.  So I'm done with Saturday the 3rd and clicked on "I did it."  I hope you did it too. BTW, I'm considering doing Cross Fit at my ripe old age.  Any feedback welcome.

I'm 55 but feel 65 so that should make me the perfect age for this group :). Starting on Jan 5th. Recovering from disc fusion surgery that has left me inflamed and in pain. Read the book. Cupboards are cleaned and hit trader joes and whole foods. Now all I gotta do is chop, cook and eat! I can do that!

Archived