Over 60 and starting first whole30

I am 62, semi retired and want to fix this problem once and for all.  I don't think age has much effect - I'm hoping this will guide me to eat and feel good, which has happened occasionally but not from knowing how and why - mostly from the sugar struggle.

So glad to have found this interesting approach.  I am also doing my first whole30.

Start day is Thur, Jan 8 2015 --- just in time for our regular Feb in a warm place vacation.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 5... already? wow....

Temporarily solved the protien mix by getting a batch of frozen wild Arctic Cod and pasture chicken thighs....

Last night I had the best chicken in a while, I deboned two thighs and baked them with olive oil, maya onion, carrots and dried Italian Basil...I'm having it for lunch today it was so good.

I forgot how good simple food tastes when you take out the sugar and the starch... B) 

same breakfast as yesterday because I cannot get enough kale....

I think my natural internal heating system is kicking in gear because I am warmer than normal...and yes I know what a hot flash is ladies...rofl...

Hope everyone is well and enjoying their day!

cheers

I'm new here, over 60, and have had moderate success since starting Paleo a year ago. I have improved my lab numbers...cholesterol, CRP (inflammatory marker) and blood sugar numbers. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and there is diabetes in my family (I'm fine so far) and so I embarked on a cleaner lifestyle in hopes of keeping my health. I started yesterday and hoping to make it through my first Whole30 without too much of a struggle. I need some tips to incorporate this program into my crazy schedule and would appreciate anyone's suggestions. I don't always get regular mealtimes and I must frequent restaurants at least once a week which throws a monkey wrench into the situation.

TIA,

Barb

I need some tips to incorporate this program into my crazy schedule and would appreciate anyone's suggestions. I don't always get regular mealtimes and I must frequent restaurants at least once a week which throws a monkey wrench into the situation.

Preparation is your friend on both counts. Always have compliant foods at home so you can put together a quick meal when needed. Take compliant food on the go with you in an insulated cooler and/or thermos.

Restaurant wise, the internet and your phone are your friends. Places with gluten-free menus and those that cook to order are your best bets. Research the restaurant's menu ahead of time online, call during their down time and ask questions to arrive at a couple options that are compliant or can be tweaked to be compliant.  You may find this article helpful. And tip well.  :)

Preparation is your friend on both counts. Always have compliant foods at home so you can put together a quick meal when needed. Take compliant food on the go with you in an insulated cooler and/or thermos.

Restaurant wise, the internet and your phone are your friends. Places with gluten-free menus and those that cook to order are your best bets. Research the restaurant's menu ahead of time online, call during their down time and ask questions to arrive at a couple options that are compliant or can be tweaked to be compliant.  You may find this article helpful. And tip well.  :)

I actually called the manager of my favorite Thai rest. yesterday and told him what I can't have...challenging for some Thai places...but he was very helpful and recommended that when I first speak with my waiter to let him know my restrictions. I am fortunate to live in an area where gluten free and anti-inflammatory diets are the norm. 

Good luck

I noticed someone said they ate lunch at Chipotle.  I wasn't aware that Chipotle was Whole30 compliant because of the rice bran oil they use to cook with.  Clarification?

There are very few items you can have at Chipotle on a Whole30.  With this Chipotle web page as your reference, you can currently have the carnitas (cooked in sunflower oil), guacamole, lettuce and non-corn salsas - that's pretty much it.

http://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/ingredients_statement/ingredients_statement.aspx

I'm the Chipotle person.  From what I read, the carnitas has sunflower oil, no rice bran oil.  Chicken, barbacoa and steak have rice bran oil.  The peppers and onions do, too, so I had carnitas, lettuce, quacamole and salsa.  Here's a link to the ingredients.

http://www.chipotle.com/en-US/menu/ingredients_statement/ingredients_statement.aspx

Chris, we tied with the Chipotle info!  It's not a lot to choose from, but there aren't many places that have any acceptable options!

Indeed. In general, fast-food choices on a Whole30 are extremely limited.

Your options expand with cook-to-order type restaurants, but even then you still need to research and ask lots of questions. 

Day two in the books.  Tonight, I made bacon wrapped chicken smoky thighs, from Practical Paleo with roasted bruselsprouts and a sweet potato casserole...yummy....had a better day overall because I was busy.  I'm going to try some of the recipes discussed earlier.  I haven't thought about food this much in a long time, LOL but it's all good...It's about time I though about food I guess.  It is our fuel!!!

Keep up the good work.  I like reading posts from those of you a bit ahead of me in order to see how it's going for you all....so far, so good.

I had a great breakfast of an egg casserole my wife made for us and we ate at 8:30,, but was so full could not eat at 1 PM, when I planned.  I was in a meeting between 1:30 and 2:30 and was getting hungry.  When I got home I ate a chicken/celery salad, carrots, peppers for veggies.  BUT I still wanted something more - like a warm chocolate chip cookie! I got 17 frozen blueberries out, mic'd them and savored their sweetness. Then I let the 20 minutes pass and was able to get through the cravings, but can see where cravings can get the best of me. Today a friend brought an assortment of homemade candy and i gave it to the mailman!  Anyone else having these similar cravings and what are you doing about them.?  Any men out there doing the Whole 30. 

Making chili tomorrow. Throwing in the kitchen sink! Mushrooms. Peppers. Carrots and butternut squash. Oh and some ground beef to round it out. Great way to use up some of those slightly sad veggies.

Still struggling a bit in the evening. It's cookies. I love cookies! But made due with a couple Apple slices and some almond butter. Lots of nerve pain today. I think it wants a cookie too......

Hope everyone is doing great!

Kathi

Day 6 is over!

Still on track, feeling better and noticing physical changes: my skin feels softener, no hangnails at all (no matter how much lotion I used, they appeared!), no thigh chafing (!!!!), I sleep through the night, aches & pains are becoming dim memories and no more mood swings! Only 24 days to go!

Anyone else noticing changes?

LazyKitty, I am so happy to hear your say all those great things are happening to you....esp " I sleep through the night, aches & pains are becoming dim memories."  Can you tell me, was it bad the first few days like it is for me?  I feel worse than ever and mostly because I am not sleeping as well as I used to. I am up and in the Loo at least every couple of hours, plus my arthritis is worse than ever, esp. in the hands....and tired...I'm glad I read the timeline and get the dailies that assure me that this is normal and will pass.  Just can't wait to sound like you!  Keep up your good work!

BTW, those little jars/lids I used to use in my yogurt maker that I of course don't use now, make GREAT containers for all those spice mixes you see in Well FED and Practical Paleo cookbooks. I used a label to put on the outside and made double of the ones I thought I would like, and voila..contained and handy. I used the smokey one last night and it's a keeper!

Well, here's to my day 3.....I'm counting on a nap, and keeping myself on track in spite of everything.  

Today is Day 7 for me and so far, so good.

It took me a while to catch up on posts here; the message boards move fast.

I had a stressful day at work yesterday and coped with a short walk and a bottle of water.

My sleep quality has improved--no waking up at 2am and not being able to go back to sleep. I still haven't complied with the Whole9 suggestions of total darkness, etc, but working in that direction.

I weighed myself before starting, but have yet to do measurements. Today is the day for that. And a photo. I'm using W30 as a launching pad to long-term good health.

It's now my "weekend"--I have Wed-Fri off from work-- so I'll be planning, shopping, prepping, and cooking tomorrow for my upcoming work week.

so it's now day 7 and the emails i get from the Whole30 cheerleaders say to share where i'm at on a forum...for once, i will listen and see if telling the story helps...not that i'm particularly craving any foods...just not where i need to be in my head...

somebody above talked about all the dramatic changes...alll to the good...and Congrats...

wish i had dramatic changes...but having led a more or less compliant life for literally years, no drama...except for a crappy mood, which i've also had for decades...

admittedly, joint grief has lessened and the eczema/psoriasis assault, although going another round, is not as bad as it was (a new plague i first experienced about 16 months ago)...to balance that, sinus right above nose and across eyebrows is swollen every morning and hurts...and it affects already not perfect eyesight...

as much as i complain to myself, i hate doing it out loud...so thank you all for an audience...and i'll go into my corner and lick my wounds...and come out kicking and laughing...

the fact i let work, as usual, get away from me, i have 2 full days worth to do today...and the fridge needs cooked...

perhaps my new cleaner living will allow for less hummingbird brain and i will work diligently ALL DAY

THANKS

CONGRATS to ALL

HANG in THERE to those suffering cravings

or like my tag says...Might as Well, Can't Dance

Can you tell me, was it bad the first few days like it is for me?  I feel worse than ever and mostly because I am not sleeping as well as I used to. I am up and in the Loo at least every couple of hours, plus my arthritis is worse than ever, esp. in the hands....and tired...I'm glad I read the timeline and get the dailies that assure me that this is normal and will pass.  Just can't wait to sound like you!  Keep up your good work!

Well, here's to my day 3.....I'm counting on a nap, and keeping myself on track in spite of everything.  

the depth of the bad is a result of whatever you'd been doing that created the aches and pains and poor sleep...as you give your system space to detox, unfortunately, there will be some worsening...as the toxicity works it's way out...

we are all fighting the inflammation created by previous lifestyle/food choices...for me it was increasing blood sugar numbers (diabetes in family)...knees that hurt with every up and down, moving on to elbows and hands...and had cancer (maybe ultimate inflammatory response) nearly 20 years ago...but for now the worst part is i keep falling asleep at my computer instead of working...

oh yeah...all my grief is "better" and i assume will be Better, the longer i stay with this...

please keep posting...and i'm quite sure you will see improvement, some dramatic, all incremental...and you must take me at my word, because frankly i'm in a poor head space today and certainly would not say positive things if i didn't truly mean it...one day, one hour at a time...

don't know what you do for activity...but try to walk at least some...every day if not every hour or two...amazing what it does...

and by encouraging you i can see the bad mood fog lifting a bit

like that wise ant said...to infinity and beyond...

Ok Day 6

oh there are so many people with this dastardly flu around...yikes....

woke up tired today...not because of the food...this is my busy season with people wanting their books prepared for the accountant...

I saw an icon on FB that a friend put up as his profile pic.... "Keep Calm and Whole30 on!"

heading out...

I hope everyone has a good day!

DAY 7......I am thrilled that I made it through to the end of my first week on Whole30.  I was able to wait out the nausea symptoms and they are pretty much gone today....Yippee!   Thankfully, I keep reading everyone's postings and have gotten a lot of confirmation that the way I feel is perfectly normal and that it will get better.  At last, I am very pleased to feel well rested and energized.  I discovered that more members of my family have used the Whole30 at least once....so I am connecting with nieces who have been so successful.  I also intend to contact a colleague of mine who has a faithful paleo lifestyle. I think these people will be a great source of encouragement and insight.

I hope your day is going well!!

LazyKitty, I am so happy to hear your say all those great things are happening to you....esp " I sleep through the night, aches & pains are becoming dim memories."  Can you tell me, was it bad the first few days like it is for me?  I feel worse than ever and mostly because I am not sleeping as well as I used to. I am up and in the Loo at least every couple of hours, plus my arthritis is worse than ever, esp. in the hands....and tired...I'm glad I read the timeline and get the dailies that assure me that this is normal and will pass.  Just can't wait to sound like you!  Keep up your good work!

BTW, those little jars/lids I used to use in my yogurt maker that I of course don't use now, make GREAT containers for all those spice mixes you see in Well FED and Practical Paleo cookbooks. I used a label to put on the outside and made double of the ones I thought I would like, and voila..contained and handy. I used the smokey one last night and it's a keeper!

Your symptoms are perfectly normal.  I felt the same way and felt quite ill those first days.  I needed to sleep and could barely look another vegetable in the face.  But I am on day 7 now and feel so much better.  So, sleep when you need it!!  But.....Power through it.....you will be happy in a few days. Best wishes!

Anyone else having these similar cravings and what are you doing about them?

I find that skipping a meal always sets me up for cravings. When I do want something sweet, a cup of broth or tea helps, or, crazy as it may sound, something with vinegar cuts the craving!

Hi Everyone;  I hope everyone is doing well and hanging in there.  Earlier I mentioned that I was thinking I might blend the Whole30 plan with counting Weightwatcher points, and thanks for the response Ladyshanny ....  I'm not doing that now; I'm doing the Whole30 as is, with the hope of feeling better and regaining some energy.  I'll worry about weight loss once I have the program down pat, but I know people (my sister for one) who have been eating on a paleo plan for 2 years, had weight loss at the start, but aren't losing anymore (even tho she needs to lose another 50 pounds), and it has the be the total intake of calories that is problematic.  I would love if just being on the Whole30 alone takes care of my problems plus weight loss, and I am definitely just doing the Whole30 now.  I just meant that down the road, it may be a good option to keep accountable for a daily food intake if weight loss isn't happening.

I have gone to WW throughout my life and the program always worked for me when I was younger, but now that I'm older and also hypothyroid, unfortunately, it doesn't work as well.  In my opinion, the biggest flaw in the plan is not avoiding processed foods on the program, plus they actually sell  WW foods that are delicious but  highly processed, as all you former members know. 

Anyway, I'm on day 7 and so far, so good.  I think it may actually be easier than I was expecting, although I am doing alot of dishes!!  I think I'm going to go shopping for some small, handy, pots and pans!  Non-toxic, of course...

I just wanted to comment on whomever it was who was discouraging about trying to do Weight Watchers at the same time as Whole30.  I thought about that person's cogent points and can see much to justify them.  But one reason was that we'd use all our daily points by noon with eating the Whole30 way.  I wanted to just address that point.  Since we aren't eating dairy, grains or drinking alcohol, that leaves a lot of points available for other foods.  And then fruits and vegetables are free on Weight Watchers, so, for me, the big points in this are the protein, nuts, seeds and other allowed food, like raisins or almond milk.  I allow myself 33 points per day (that's the daily 26 points plus 7 of the weekly 49 divided by 7 days.)  And I eat until I'm full. And I've discovered that I'm fuller longer and eat less.  I've always done better with food plans if I have margins and accountability.  I'm speaking only for myself.  Thanks.

Day 7...Woohoo!  Congratulations to everyone on your successes!  Large/small successes whatever don't give up; bear in my mind, if you give up and redo it...Carb flu waits for you and I firmly believe 'once is more than enough for me'.  lol.

Sometimes I cannot see the forest for trees!   Sugar hides in so many products.  

As for WW, I have never done it and don't know anything about it.  So I have no input.

After one week, I may be able to give up caffeine.  One baby step at a time, so, now I will drink one cup of coffee/day (canned coconut milk, 1 tsp. coconut oil and coffee...emulsified in Magic Bullet...its like a latte!).  I usually had a square of 88% unsweetened chocolate, that ended a week ago and I survived that.

Bye everyone, hagd!

Archived