Over 60 and starting first whole30

Greetings.  I'm 61 and started yesterday.  I did Whole30 for the month of August and lost 10 pounds that month.  Since then I have maintained the loss but want to start again and see if I can reduce my blood pressure as well as continue my weight loss.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 4 and I'm feeling a little perkier than yesterday.  I'm glad that I started on Thursday so that my "carb flu" days were on a weekend.  I teach, and I would not have wanted to face a classroom feeling like I did yesterday!  

I'm trying to prep for meals at work.  I'm at work by 7:30 and just can't make myself eat a meal before that, but classes are scheduled in a way that will let me eat around 9, so I'm taking breakfast and lunch to work.  I'm going to make egg cups in a muffin tin (eggs, peppers, mushrooms, sausage) and I'll take some raw veggies to munch with them.  I'm planning on salad for lunch (leaving left overs for my work-from-home paleo husband) so I'm cooking salad meats now.  I got this idea from Big Red Kitchen...

http://www.bigredkitchen.com/2013/01/one-hour-three-salads-six-meals-3-2-1-go/

and while I don't do it exactly as she does, the idea works really well.  

I have 6 dinners planned and groceries are (mostly) bought.  Hopefully I'm covered through Friday with no last minute scrambling for compliant foods. My plans include curried chicken, cauliflower and green beans, spaghetti with zucchini noodles, meatloaf with mashed cauliflower and green beans (can you tell I bought a big bag of green beans?) chicken and veggie stir fry, pork chops with veggie sides and pulled pork with compliant bbq sauce and cole slaw.

So it's going really well for me!  How are the rest of you doing?

Hi all; I'll be 68 next month and I'm on my 2 day of whole30. It's definitely a big change for me.   I think the thing I miss most is my morning coffee with cream and sugar.  Trying to get use to coconut milk and date syrup. Not a big fan.  Good luck all!

Paula

I think the thing I miss most is my morning coffee with cream and sugar.  Trying to get use to coconut milk and date syrup. Not a big fan.

Actually date syrup is not compliant on a Whole30. Anything ending in "syrup" is a sweetener and not permitted.

So, for the rest of your Whole30, do coffee black, with coconut milk, or have a compliant tea instead. I personally like coconut milk blended into my coffee with my immersion blender: makes it frothy.

Hi Paulaann15, I'm with you on the coffee.  I tried it with coconut milk on day 1 and decided that I could just do without.  I'm having some strong Irish Breakfast tea with coconut milk, and I steep some fresh ginger in the water while it's heating, and, while it will not replace my wonderful morning coffee, it gives me something warm and pretty tasty to have in the morning.  It has a caffeine as well and I do like a little first thing in the morning.

Hi Amy52...I'm feeling a bit more with it today too. I'm very impressed with your menu planning. Good job! My big plan for the day is to make bone broth since a friend sent over a bucket of elk bones. My first time with the process but am looking forward to the challenge and reaping the reported benefits. I'm going to follow the Nom Nom Paleo pressure cooker version. Has anyone given it a try or have any tips to get good flavor?

Mavis, I know how crazy my weekdays are (still have one child at home) and there is no way that I can stay on this plan w/out planning and working ahead.  I'm usually a terrible planner.  The grocery is about half a mile away and I'm in there at least 3 times a week.  I'm hoping to make 1 big trip and go one additional time for fresh produce, which is really how it should be done.  If I get nothing else from whole30, getting my meal planning and shopping under control would be worth the struggle!  

I'm looking forward to hearing how the broth turns out!  I think that would actually be a nice coffee replacement.

Hi everyone Happy New year.  Is anyone starting today.  I still need to get to the grocery store and do some prep cooking so Sunday or Monday will be my start date.  Good luck to those that have chosen today as day 1.  

Hi Cyndi, Happy New Year to you too! Due to unforeseen circumstances, we (Mom and I) weren't able to start until today. But we are now "officially" on the Whole 30 (or 60 or....) bandwagon and looking forward to improved health, vitality, loss of medication, loss of weight, aches, pains, etc. We started this morning, but still have to go get some other necessary things at the store, like Avocado!! Breakfast just isnt't the same without it. Anyway, glad to be part of this group and wishing all a successful journey and improved health! Let's "git er done"!!

Greetings from New England!  I, too, am over 60 and getting started, with Jan. 5 being my first real day--Jan. 1-5 is "prep" as I am eating the right foods, but not in te right patterns.  Gotta start somewhere!

Today, day 4, I feel lethargic, achy, yucky...detoxing?  I plan to drink lots of water and stay on track.

Morning everyone.

With regard to coffee, use canned coconut milk (full fat not lite) not the stuff in the carton (that has carageenan in it). We have coffe with coconut milk + 1 tsp. of coconut oil, pulse it in Magic Bullet machine and it looks like a latte! my husband still puts a square of chocolate in his, I can honestly say I don't feel deprived. Miss it, but don't miss the 'sugar dragon'!

Is everyone remembering to stay hydrated? Drinking water helps flush the toxins out faster.

How is everyone feeling? Personally, carb flu wasn't as bad as I expected. No sugar cravings has been wonderful.

My dh decided to join in, not officially but his intent to encourage me is there. We are retired and I have decided that a trip to grocery store (3 miles away) is now an adventure. We were there on Friday and he was reading a label and it had sugar in it, it was Lawreys seasoning and he said quite loudly "they put sugar in it, that's so wrong!" And a lady and him got into discussion and they began reading labels to me. She kept saying "I don't believe it!" My dh then told her about the Whole30. You have to understand everything he told her, I had told him and I didn't think he was listening!! Wow, I am so impressed.

Hard (have a good day)!

Morning everyone.

With regard to coffee, use canned coconut milk (full fat not lite) not the stuff in the carton (that has carageenan in it). We have coffe with coconut milk + 1 tsp. of coconut oil, pulse it in Magic Bullet machine and it looks like a latte! my husband still puts a square of chocolate in his, I can honestly say I don't feel deprived. Miss it, but don't miss the 'sugar dragon'!

Is everyone remembering to stay hydrated? Drinking water helps flush the toxins out faster.

How is everyone feeling? Personally, carb flu wasn't as bad as I expected. No sugar cravings has been wonderful.

My dh decided to join in, not officially but his intent to encourage me is there. We are retired and I have decided that a trip to grocery store (3 miles away) is now an adventure. We were there on Friday and he was reading a label and it had sugar in it, it was Lawreys seasoning and he said quite loudly "they put sugar in it, that's so wrong!" And a lady and him got into discussion and they began reading labels to me. She kept saying "I don't believe it!" My dh then told her about the Whole30. You have to understand everything he told her, I had told him and I didn't think he was listening!! Wow, I am so impressed.

Hard (have a good day)!

Thanks for the reminder about the water! Day 1&2 I had no problem, but forgot to start with water this am! 

Reading labels is enlightening isn't it? It took me 3 stores to find compliant beef stock...lol. 

It is lovely to get confirmation that one's significant other does listen. Cheers!

Good Morning! 

Day 3..I already feel lighter...is that possible? Yesterday was very inspiring to read everyone's posts. I am very happy to have found this forum as I am the only one in the family participating in this program.

I started at the recommendation of my naturopathic doctor to ease the inflammation in my body. Because of a specific issue, I cannot have citrus, hot spices, coffee...so I am being creative with herbs and compliant broths. Thank the maker I have followed a similar eating method before that worked, so I KNOW this will too!

Think I will make a checklist of all those things I will not miss by making it to 30 days+

Woke up with a slight headache which means I need to drink more water. If it's not a monsoon today the dogs and I will take a walk in the woods.

Cheers everyone!

I am 66, starting my first whole 30 at my daughter's insistence.  Day 1 today, and I have a headache.  Guess this is normal?  I am concerned about eating eggs for breakfast every day, and how to make a green salad taste better than the vinegar and oil I tried tonight. gakkkk!  My husband is not participating,  so my refrigerator, pantry and dinner table are NOT compliant.  How do others cope with these issues?

I eat eggs almost every day and my cholesterol has actually dropped.  We have steamed or roasted vegies with our dinner every night and I always make enough to have leftovers.  I chop them up the next morning and mix them in with our scrambled eggs and that is very yummy.  I've used roasted broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus.  Spinach is really good mixed in with the eggs as well.  I figure it is another way to get more vegies into our diet and add a little variety to the eggs.

There are a lot of homemade dressing recipes online.  One of my favorites is:  3/4 c. olive oil, 1/4 c. vinegar, 1Tbsp. dijon mustard, salt & pepper.

There are a lot of homemade dressing recipes online.  One of my favorites is:  3/4 c. olive oil, 1/4 c. vinegar, 1Tbsp. dijon mustard, salt & pepper.

hi k!

if i am not mistaken Dijon might not be compliant if it contains wine...just a thought...

Hello again all! I decided to start my next Whole30 tomorrow (Monday). I'm making Melissa Joulwan's Turkish Doner kabobs for lunches this week and have compliant bacon, turkey, etc for breakfasts. I have to be careful with eggs as I think they make me queazy at times.

Been having issues sleeping and having hives the last week past so finally said "No mas!"

Back to work tomorrow. Today I freeze the stuff that's not compliant or tuck it to the back. And have to catch up on all the posts. You guys are busy!

hi k!

if i am not mistaken Dijon might not be compliant if it contains wine...just a thought...

You are correct. Check the ingredients list. Any dijon mustard containing wine is not compliant.  You'd need to use a brand that is free of wine and other off-plan ingredients.

Breakfast: Mushroom & Spinach Scramble with eggs & leftover gravy (made Day 5 NomNom paleo, she's doing it with us! The recipe is slow cooker Chicken & Gravy. I made it early to have leftovers and to use the carcass for bone broth.). The gravy is really just leeks, garlic, homemade chicken broth and chicken juices, I used an immersion blender to blend it and today it's even better!

Her website is www.nomnompaleo.com, she also has cooking app for your iPad. Check it out.

Hi MACWD, your burger sounds yummy, one of my favourite things to eat. Did you make sure and ask them if they use any filler such as bread crumbs, oats or rice flour in the meat? I have one place that doesn't so that is where we go when on Whole30. Sneaky ingredients!

When I have a burger out, I also ask them to use only salt and pepper so I don't end up with any unintended MSG or other crap that is often included in spices.

When I have a burger out, I also ask them to use only salt and pepper so I don't end up with any unintended MSG or other crap that is often included in spices.

You also need to make sure that it's only ground beef, and no added bread crumbs or other off-plan ingredients in the burger, and that no uncompliant cooking oils (e.g., soybean) are used to cook it.

So it is day 3 and not having any carb flu. I have been eating Paleo compliant for almost two years so I am guessing that my December transgressions had less of an impact than I thought.  I was reading the Civilized Caveman blog and his January Whole30 and it is reassuring to know that even those who are the big names in the Paleo world take time out to purge and cleanse. This is my second Whole30 and it is so much easier than the first time because of the habits I have created over the past 2 years. I am trying to make this fun and not a burden. I found some recipes in Sunset magazine that I can adjust to be Whole30 compliant and that is really fun.  The reason I am doing this again is to get back to basics and to help with the SIBO I have been diagnosed with.  I am working with a functional medicine doctor and we did a round of botanicals last fall but will probably have to go the antibiotic route.   My biggest challenge is that my activity level is way down because of a bad knee and it looks like I will be having knee replacement in February (after I complete the Whole30).  Yoga seems to help but I can't wait to get back to my normal stuff - bike riding and hiking.

Ladies, here is a common question / dilema that all of us face.  What would you do in my shoes?  I invited 2 other families over for dinner this Saturday; our boys are all home from college and we want to see everyone.  The menu I decided on was lasagna because I can do it ahead etc. There is nothing on that menu that I can eat.  I could change my menu but at his point I am frazled by trying to come up with something else that is compliant but that you can feed to company. Or I can go off plan or not eat.  What would you do? 

Thanks! :)

Hi soonslimmer!  Well, I would either 1. stick with lasagna and not eat it.at.all or 2. change the menu.  Oh!  The dinner date has passed!  Just remember--you come first.  Make a roast, roast veggies, and salad, and everyone can eat.  Add bread for them if they insist, shrimp and veggies for appetizers, a dessert you hate for them, and some fruit salad for you.  I have two sons in their early 20's, so I get it.  The do-ahead thing: roasts are easy, veggies and salads can be prepped in advance, set the table, etc.  Boom!  done!

Hi Everyone;  I'll be 61 in the spring and this is also my first whole30.  So far, so good (since Dec.31).  I was easing my way into the program the last couple of weeks of December, and I had a good day going on the 31st, so I thought - may as well get started.

I'm not going to worry about weight loss this first time around; just concentrating on getting to know the plan and looking forward to less stiffness and pain more than anything else.  I could stand to lose 30 - 40 pounds, but that'll come later.  So far it hasn't been as difficult as I had imagined, although the morning of the 3rd day, I woke up pretty groggy and dopey.  A cup of black coffee helped perk me up about midday.  I never thought I could drink coffee black - but I am!! It sure cuts down on the consumption!!

One thing I think we need to be aware of, especially with the weightloss thing, is that even though we're eating healthy, it's still very easy to pile up the calories. One lady on this thread says she does the program while keeping track by counting Weightwatchers points - I think that's a great idea and I plan to do the same once I figure out what I'm doing.

I have some questions that I haven't found answers for so far; does anyone know what the program says about microwave cooking or reheating?  There seems to be evidence showing up that microwaving changes food into something NOT so healthy, and I was wondering what the program policy is on that.  

Archived