Over 60 and starting first whole30

• Administrators

Hi Carol,

I totally understand why it sounds good on paper to "count" and do Whole30 at the same time, unfortunately they are on two different planets. Counting or weighing and measuring is allowing someone else's arbitrary numbers or quantities to rule what your body gets. At Whole30 we want you to eat real, nutrient dense foods in quantities that are satisfying and satiating to your body. We want you to learn to listen to your body so that you understand increased or decreased hunger as it's related to your activity level, wellness and even time of the month. We want you to learn yourself without being accountable to anyone else's idea of what is correct.

As far as the calories go, to some extent you are right, if you eat 4 cups of delicious homemade mayonnaise every 2 weeks, you won't be very successful with any weight loss goals. However, if you follow the meal template and listen to your body, you will be getting adequate nourishment that will leave you satisfied and more than likely open up a intake vs expenditure difference.

As a former Weight Watcher I know that if you were to count points while doing Whole30, the protein and fat that you very probably need to consume for adequate nourishment and health would have you at or over your points balance at lunch. Then what? WW is designed to use low calorie "food products" to bridge the gap between starving and not starving. That isn't health.

Please consider taking the Whole30 on in full which includes no counting or using of arbitrary amounts.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone!

I'm 62 and doing my first Whole 30.  I "went paleo" about a month before and found the transition to the whole 30 easier than I thought.  Would love to join your group.  I am on day 8 of the whole 30 and feeling more energy and consistent blood sugar levels ( no hunger between meals!). You're all an inspiration to me!  I love to read your posts and know that I'm not the only one who came to this lifestyle later in life.

I am going to start on Monday.  This will be my second Whole30.  Yes  when I did my first one mid September I felt like I was always in the kitchen cooking and cleaning.  I must tell you it was all worth it.  There was also something that  made me feel really good each day (even though phyisicaly and mentaly I was grumpy and felt bad) knowing that I was sticking to the plan that was way more satisfying than the food and alcohol i wanted..

Something very rewarding about deciding to do something and sticking with it no matter how hard it was.  I can't really put it into words.  As i look back on this and how i did it i now i realize that it was because i started out with a mind set that number ONE I AM GOING TO DO THIS, IT IS ONLY 30 DAYS OF MY SO FAR 58 YEARS OF LIFE.  

I think that with that my thoughts where more on the  cooking and cleaning and not on my eat what ever and drink a bottle of wine each day.  Looking forward to Monday and hoping to do 90 days to really change my habits.  omg 2015 is going to be the best ever. :D

I have great memories of my mom cooking and making wonderful food even thou we where very very poor she always made sure we had food that she made most from scratch.  I was at the grocery store today and bought ox tails something I remember from my childhood.  Cant believe how much they cost but looking forward to finding a compliant recipe . 

There is really something so much more satisfying when you cook it yourself with love and purpose.

Love and kiss to all of you on this journey to health. Going outside of the box and making a difference in your life.  love you all 

Ahh gee whiz, I don't think I did that quote thing right, but anyhoo...Cindy Lou, it was good to hear your reflections about your last W30.  We are both starting tomorrow, right?  I have been actually not drinking wine for the last two weeks, because of a health scare....long story, so am hoping that is one less thing I have to think about as in, I have a little time under the belt on that one.!  I think Im doing a W60 actually. I have 60 days with NOTHING on my agenda.  Totally free of obligations for the most part, however, like you, I tell myself, I can do ANYTHING for 30 days....and if I can, I'll go all 60 or more,,,,who know?

So, my kitchen is ready, my menu is written down, in the morning I am doing the weigh in, measurements, and before picture. BUT TONIGHT, ha ha ha....I am having a cola.  Yup, not something I even normally drink.  

What did everyone eat/drink the night before?  Did you want to have all those forbidden things? or, like me, having my kitchen so prepped, not really having all those thing available?  Plus, I figure, I don't want to do anything crazy, like eat brownies and all,  cus I think you pay for it down the line.  I would however if I had some, LOL.... :P

I am also over 60 and started my whole30 on the 1st. I am happy to find a group of folks with who I can discuss the month of days that loom before me.

Thankfully, my family is also doing the 30 this month. Finishing day 4....I am determined to complete the month .....and look forward to losing weight and getting into better eating habits. We are planning meals around the rules and labeled and tied up cupboards "poison" containing foods that we won't be accessing this month.

Just wondering.....I have not been feeling well in my gut since I started.,,,,and my throat is swollen and I have had a headache most of the time. I expected that I would need some time to adjust.  I feel full most of the time and woozy, too.  Will these symptoms go away? Has anyone else had these types of symptoms?  I know I am only completing my 4th day, so perhaps they will subside on their own soon. 

What do you think?

I am also over 60 and started my whole30 on the 1st. I am happy to find a group of folks with who I can discuss the month of days that loom before me.

Thankfully, my family is also doing the 30 this month. Finishing day 4....I am determined to complete the month .....and look forward to losing weight and getting into better eating habits. We are planning meals around the rules and labeled and tied up cupboards "poison" containing foods that we won't be accessing this month.

Just wondering.....I have not been feeling well in my gut since I started.,,,,and my throat is swollen and I have had a headache most of the time. I expected that I would need some time to adjust.  I feel full most of the time and woozy, too.  Will these symptoms go away? Has anyone else had these types of symptoms?  I know I am only completing my 4th day, so perhaps they will subside on their own soon. 

What do you think?

Cherryd,,,did you read the timeline posted on the Whole 30 site?  I read it this morning and It is really helpful.  I can't remember exactly, but I think you are experiencing typical day 4 stuff....as in detox.  Perhaps some more experienced w30ers can pipe in here.  But in the meantime, check it out.

I am also over 60 and started my whole30 on the 1st.

Just wondering.....I have not been feeling well in my gut since I started.,,,,and my throat is swollen and I have had a headache most of the time. I expected that I would need some time to adjust. I feel full most of the time and woozy, too. Will these symptoms go away? Has anyone else had these types of symptoms? I know I am only completing my 4th day, so perhaps they will subside on their own soon.

What do you think?

A swollen throat is not a typical Whole30 reaction. I think you may be coming down with a cold.

I love having this group of "old bats" with whom to commiserate this time around.

I saw someone used to be a WW member. I used to be a leader and a member. . . Since 1987. Now I cannot stand what they've done to the plan and the organization. But I know many are still faithful so I should just pipe down.

The Turkih Doner kabobs smell fabulous. My lunch is packed for tomorrow.

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm pushing 62 and a recovering Weight Watcher.

I did a W30 in August, 2012, and it was a great success...but I let things slip and here I am again after several failed starts.

Today was day 4 and I am pleased that I made it through without much difficulty. Some urges, but no cravings. I'm eating a lot, but I know it will level off and my excess weight will start dropping.

I look forward to getting to know some other "geezers" here.

:D

Morning everyone!  I woke up with very few aches and pains, I was startled by how easily I got out of bed.   :D This really is an anti-inflammatory diet.  And yesterday I thought the sugar dragon would visit, but eating this way kept my blood sugar even and not like a roller coaster effect.  Wow, wtg!  No carb flu, we gave up dairy and grains in 2011, when my dh had cancer.   I miss the smell of baking bread and I miss sausage gravy and biscuits, but....I love my body a lot more and now I am going to prove it...for 30 days at least!

Thank you for listening to me vent/rant/rave!  Have a good day everyone.  Talk to you later.  

I am excited to read that you are having success with anti-inflammatory!   I start tomorrow and am hoping from some relief from on going nerve pain left over from disc fusion surgery (left calf, ankle and foot).  I am all stocked up and ready to start...please keep me updated on your continued sucesss!

Kathi

Hurray, I'm not the only young 60 something just starting this program.  My spouse and i are having a go at starting this adventure together and we just finished day 2.  I joined the YMCA and worked out yesterday.  i slept 7.5 hour, that may not seem like an accomplishment, but I've been averaging 5-6 hours a night for too many years to count.  I a HOPING it is the cutting out sugar and eating better, but it is too soon to tell.  I am encouraged anyway.  I was out shoveling snow today and Pat was feeling strong too.  We live in NE Washington state. 

BELieve - we can do it.  What day are you on?  You go girl!

Ahh gee whiz, I don't think I did that quote thing right, but anyhoo...Cindy Lou, it was good to hear your reflections about your last W30.  We are both starting tomorrow, right?  I have been actually not drinking wine for the last two weeks, because of a health scare....long story, so am hoping that is one less thing I have to think about as in, I have a little time under the belt on that one.!  I think Im doing a W60 actually. I have 60 days with NOTHING on my agenda.  Totally free of obligations for the most part, however, like you, I tell myself, I can do ANYTHING for 30 days....and if I can, I'll go all 60 or more,,,,who know?

So, my kitchen is ready, my menu is written down, in the morning I am doing the weigh in, measurements, and before picture. BUT TONIGHT, ha ha ha....I am having a cola.  Yup, not something I even normally drink.  

What did everyone eat/drink the night before?  Did you want to have all those forbidden things? or, like me, having my kitchen so prepped, not really having all those thing available?  Plus, I figure, I don't want to do anything crazy, like eat brownies and all,  cus I think you pay for it down the line.  I would however if I had some, LOL.... :P

I had fresh oysters and champagne for breakfast downtown Seattle...followed it up with a little burger at Alki Beach and a great bottle of wine (shared with husband...didnt drink it all myself...such control! :).   Fully committed to start Whole30...what a way to start huh?.....love this over 60 group!  

Signed,

Fat and happy!

Tinman57. Good choice! And Kathikay, you are lucky to live somewhere where such wonderful items are available. Yummy!,,,

Day one here....so of course not much to talk about. Lol. Have a mexicN ish egg casserole in the oven for my next 4 breakfasts. Chicken thighs in the oven for salad lunches, then to my well fed cookbook to decide on dinner. I think my breakfasts and lunches will be rather boring as in similar day to day, but I'm ok with that,,,,putting my cooking energy into dinners for now.

How many of you did the weigh in, measurements and pictures? I'm hoping by doing all if the "stuff" I.e., in the W30 guidelines, it'll help keep me on track. I did put my scale away to avoid temptation.

Have a great W30 day everyone!

Good Morning! Day 4...first day back at work and I have my glass containers to take my food with me...No headache this am, thank the maker and I woke up without the alarm ready to get up! nice!

This will be a mixed day of leftovers from the weekend and a bit of newly cooked food. Since I am the only on in the household on this 30 day challenge, my freezer does not have all the room in the world to pre-purchase good stuff. I will be negotiating for some space...lol...

I hope everyone has a good day/week. I wish you an easing of stress in your life through taking care of yourselves!

Cheers

Bridgid

checking in!

Starting day 5!  I'm feeling really good, no carb flu but I have been eating primal for the last 2 months.   So far not missing my nightly dark chocolate and tea with stevia.   Actually no sugar cravings which is pretty awesome at the moment.   Not missing the cheese either which tells me I can live without it if need be!  I'm very curious to see if after the 30 days I can introduce it without feeling the effects.   

Yesterday I bought a 6 pd. brisket (only 2 of us live here!)  I cut it in half and one half went in the crockpot with vegies and beef broth.  Cooked for 24 hrs. and made a wonderful stew with meat that just was so tender and good.  The other half DH put on our traeger grill and smoked for 24 hrs.  it was the best brisket I've ever experienced.  So one cut of meat, 2 very different meals and lots of yummy leftovers for the week.   I seriously love eating this way, and the best thing about it for me is NO blood sugar drops, no shakes or crankies, going longer without thinking about my next meal, I'll take this any day over all the junk food out there!

Here's hoping that after the 30 days, non of us feels like "old geezers" any more!!!!  woohoo!!!

Day 5! Only 25 to go. Tired, have a slight fever...no aches and pains. It's odd, my body is talking to me and I have begun to listen. Amazing! My balance is getting better, you know, you're walking across the room and stumble on a non-existent dust bunny!

Anyway, I decided that I needed to reward myself when the Whole30 was over. And then I realized that my reward will be better health, while that is an achievable goal; perhaps I need something to remind me that "I did it!!". Rather like a trophy. I am going to think about this for awhile.

Anyway, breakfast was scrambled egg with leftover mushroom & onions!

Hagd! Have a good day!)

Redskater, that sounds like a wonderful meal idea and I'm going to steal it BUT I don't have the grill to do that part of it so will come up with something else like maybe make it a pulled BBQ over spagehtti squash.  There must be a paleo BBQ sauce recipe out there.

Curiously, although it is only day one, so not much to go on, after my breakfast this morning, I felt dizzy, sluggish and TIRED....as if a blood sugar drop even. Hmmm....looking forward to days coming up.  I think I have a lot of HEALING to do.  Also, been nordic skiing for that last 6 days, so not sure if maybe I'm just overdoing it...as I do sometimes..so today is a rest day. Isn't it kinda early to have detox reactions?

• Administrators

Hi Kbingy, ya, one meal of Whole30 does seem a bit early to be having symptoms.  However, if you were used to eating sugary things for breakfast previously which would have given you a big blood sugar spike, having a Whole30 style meal might make you feel differently.

Can you tell me what you ate for breakfast?  Have you looked at the template?  http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

How many of you did the weigh in, measurements and pictures? I'm hoping by doing all if the "stuff" I.e., in the W30 guidelines, it'll help keep me on track. I did put my scale away to avoid temptation.

I did the weigh in but not the measurements and the pictures.  *shudder*.

Redskater, that sounds like a wonderful meal idea and I'm going to steal it BUT I don't have the grill to do that part of it so will come up with something else like maybe make it a pulled BBQ over spagehtti squash.  There must be a paleo BBQ sauce recipe out there.

NomNom Paleo has a great bbq sauce using cherries.  I'll see if I can find it.  I also think an old South Beach bbq sauce would work as well.  I'll find that and post it too.

Archived