Over 60 and starting first whole30

NomNom Paleo has a great bbq sauce using cherries.  I'll see if I can find it.  I also think an old South Beach bbq sauce would work as well.  I'll find that and post it too.

Nope: South Beach has Worcestershire sauce in it.  Too bad.  Here are the ingredients and if you can find a sub for the Worc.sauce, have at it:

Ingredients
  • 1 can(s) tomato sauce (8 ounces)
  • 2 tablespoon vinegar, white
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon mustard, ground
  • 2 teaspoon parsley, fresh chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 pinch pepper, black ground
  • 1 pinch garlic powder
  •  

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NomNom Paleo has a great bbq sauce using cherries. 

For the Cherry Barbecue Sauce (Makes 1⅔ cup of sauce):

• 2 teaspoons ghee or fat of choice
  • ½ cup minced shallot
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 (1-inch) ginger root, peeled and finely grated (I use a Microplane)
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • ¼ cup coconut aminos (or wheat-free tamari)
  • ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
  • ¼ cup apple juice
  • 10 ounces frozen cherries, roughly chopped
  • Kosher salt, to taste
  • Freshly ground pepper, to taste

This is just a great recipe period. Find it on her blog here: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/44473388426/smashed-steak-skewers-with-cherry-barbecue-sauce

So...day 5...because we're all counting...

have ordered multiple coconut aminos, talking myself into spending money on SeaSnax, found out my pilates teacher is on whole30 too, and...even ordered a crock pot which i've never wanted...

but the slow cooked brisket sounds great, as does fall off the bone chicken...it's only me and i love leftovers so ya'all can feel free to post favorite recipes...i eat chicken and beef and port, no other meats, and have never liked onbone cuts...but with slow cooker they should be fine and then i get all that good stuff i hear about from bones

found a local company (ok, my daughter found it) called Tessamae for compliant sauces, dressings, mayo...looking into shelf life in the fridge and we may take a field trip to get some (about an hour away, Whole Foods had couple of dressings, but not bbq, ketchup, mayo)

onward...feel "better today" but my itchy eye area is acting like eczema is approaching and my knees and hips hurt...but i also sit at the computer hours and hours a day working...and have lots of decades of detoxing to do...candy never a draw, but crackers etc, and alcohol...so...ONWARD!

Tinman57. Good choice! And Kathikay, you are lucky to live somewhere where such wonderful items are available. Yummy!,,,

Day one here....so of course not much to talk about. Lol. Have a mexicN ish egg casserole in the oven for my next 4 breakfasts. Chicken thighs in the oven for salad lunches, then to my well fed cookbook to decide on dinner. I think my breakfasts and lunches will be rather boring as in similar day to day, but I'm ok with that,,,,putting my cooking energy into dinners for now.

How many of you did the weigh in, measurements and pictures? I'm hoping by doing all if the "stuff" I.e., in the W30 guidelines, it'll help keep me on track. I did put my scale away to avoid temptation.

Have a great W30 day everyone!

oh la I did the weigh in but I will not need pictures for the after...I am very much aware of what will come off my body lol...and in my body..lol..re pictures....still working on the self esteem enough to post one...

Hi Kbingy, ya, one meal of Whole30 does seem a bit early to be having symptoms.  However, if you were used to eating sugary things for breakfast previously which would have given you a big blood sugar spike, having a Whole30 style meal might make you feel differently.

Can you tell me what you ate for breakfast?  Have you looked at the template?  http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Ladyshanny, I am not a big sugar eater at all and have been gluten free for quite a while....I agree however, that the feelings shouldn't have anything to do with one meal in....ha ha..I do believe I am dealing with some adrenal issues however and it was probably a coincidence.  by the afternoon, I felt just fine.  hmmmm

This is just a great recipe period. Find it on her blog here: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/44473388426/smashed-steak-skewers-with-cherry-barbecue-sauce

WOW thanks...I'm on it.  I bookmarked her site the other day!

Ladyshanny, I am not a big sugar eater at all and have been gluten free for quite a while....I agree however, that the feelings shouldn't have anything to do with one meal in....ha ha..I do believe I am dealing with some adrenal issues however and it was probably a coincidence.  by the afternoon, I felt just fine.  hmmmm

WOW thanks...I'm on it.  I bookmarked her site the other day!

I feel like an idiot with this quote business.....LOL :D at any rate, in answer to your question Ladyshanny, I had an egg dish....I made it with broccoli, spinach, onion, garlic, peppers, bacon, rotel, chia seeds, brewers yeast, coconut cream, spices....and eggs of course.  It was muy bien.  

Redskater, that sounds like a wonderful meal idea and I'm going to steal it BUT I don't have the grill to do that part of it so will come up with something else like maybe make it a pulled BBQ over spagehtti squash.  There must be a paleo BBQ sauce recipe out there.

Curiously, although it is only day one, so not much to go on, after my breakfast this morning, I felt dizzy, sluggish and TIRED....as if a blood sugar drop even. Hmmm....looking forward to days coming up.  I think I have a lot of HEALING to do.  Also, been nordic skiing for that last 6 days, so not sure if maybe I'm just overdoing it...as I do sometimes..so today is a rest day. Isn't it kinda early to have detox reactions?

you can put it in the oven instead of a grill and just use a dry rub all over it.   You just have to cook it at about 225 for a long time.  If in a slow cooker, just add onions, carrots, sliced garlic and mushrooms, and some chicken or beef broth, cook on low for at least 12 hrs. I did 24.  I just had some leftovers for lunch and it is just as good.  So easy!  I hate to cook so when I find something easy, healthy and makes lots of leftovers, I'm a happy camper!   Hope you feel better!

So...day 5...because we're all counting...

have ordered multiple coconut aminos, talking myself into spending money on SeaSnax, found out my pilates teacher is on whole30 too, and...even ordered a crock pot which i've never wanted...

but the slow cooked brisket sounds great, as does fall off the bone chicken...it's only me and i love leftovers so ya'all can feel free to post favorite recipes...i eat chicken and beef and port, no other meats, and have never liked onbone cuts...but with slow cooker they should be fine and then i get all that good stuff i hear about from bones

found a local company (ok, my daughter found it) called Tessamae for compliant sauces, dressings, mayo...looking into shelf life in the fridge and we may take a field trip to get some (about an hour away, Whole Foods had couple of dressings, but not bbq, ketchup, mayo)

onward...feel "better today" but my itchy eye area is acting like eczema is approaching and my knees and hips hurt...but i also sit at the computer hours and hours a day working...and have lots of decades of detoxing to do...candy never a draw, but crackers etc, and alcohol...so...ONWARD!

The crockpot is my salvation!   I've got one that you can saute, steam, roast and slow cook in.  So normally, I only need to dirty one pot.   Once you start using one, you will find all kinds of things you can throw in and walk away and have it ready for dinner.  I just ordered some of the Tessamae sauces, I'll report back on how they taste.     I'm a cracker gal too!  I haven't had one in a very long time, you do get used to substituting  other things, it gets easier.

day 5, 4:07 pm, i am quietly nodding at in front of the computer where i am allegedly doing transcription...any ideas on what works like tea with sugar but isn't tea with sugar?

I use orange blossom water (about a tablespoon) with hot water.  It doesn't actually wake me up but it does kind of tickle my nose.

Hi everyone!  I've enjoyed reading all of your posts and catching up!!  

MAWCD, I like ginger in my tea.  I just slice a bit (inch?) of fresh ginger into the water and let it steep as the water heats up, then put the tea bags in (I make a cup for hubby, too) for a few minutes and then pour.  I'd like it sweet, but it's spicy and satisfying.

Day 5 is pretty much finished...so far, so good!  I ate at Chipotle today-carnitas, lettuce, salsa and guacamole.  It was tasty, and very nice to be out. (I teach and it was a planning day.  Teachers never get to go out to lunch like grown ups.) Tomorrow I'll be eating lunch standing up, monitoring the hallway.  

I'm appreciating all of the warnings in the whole30 info about preparing and planning prior to starting.  My refrigerator is stocked and meals planned for, and it made it easy to come home today and fix a healthy meal.  

that you all for the suggestions...i'm intrigued by orange blossom water...will look for it...

await word on Tessamae's...

i made it through today with only 1 episode of i must stuff something in my mouth...took a tyrozine supplement and i'm better now...

however, now i have to stay up to do some of the work i just didn't do earlier...the downside of working from home is you are the only one to blame when it doesn't get done...

I use orange blossom water (about a tablespoon) with hot water.  It doesn't actually wake me up but it does kind of tickle my nose.

what brand do you use? i just looked around and confused myself...is it a small, like 2 oz, bottle or like 10 oz...and some of these speak to use as facial ingredient rather than to ingesting...is it the same product? i honestly have never encountered orange blossom water, but sounds quite lovely...

I've been gone for a day so I'm catching up on all of the posts. Oh my goodness you gals are awsome! So many great ideas and so much support.. Love it!

I thought I'd let you know of a mistake I made that really affected me negatively. I sliced cooked lamb and warmed it in a sauce of mustard, bone broth and basalmic vinegar, then tossed it with steamed cabbage. It tasted wonderful, but my stomach reacted immediately and I felt like Id been hit between the eyes with a 2x4. Woke up with a bummer of a headache this am. I checked my labels, after the fact, and discovered that my basalmic was made with carmel syrup. The program clearly states NOT to use this type, but I made the assumption that since it was Trader Joes it was ok. There must be something in that color...sugar?..wheat? I don't know. I had the same dish today using coconut vinegar instead of the basalmic and had no problem.... A word to the wise! On to tomorrow! Good luck all.

Hi everyone! I just spent an hour reading all the posts, wish I could remember and respond to many....sorry!

But my name is Clare, I'm 58+ and this is my second whole 30.... Did my first last May and it really made a difference...especially in my sleep (phenomenal!) and joint pain. Falling off the wagon after a few months, adding foods back in to my diet that I know affect me and then the holidays....bam! I've been feeling like crap! So I was ready and raring to go when both my daughters mentioned they were doing it. I'm so pumped and ready!

A couple things I want to share.

1. Chocolate chili is AWESOME over a baked sweet potato (or regular one) with some chopped avocado or guacamole on top! (Costco has organic wholly guacamole in single serving cups) I buy a box and toss in the freezer and toss one in my lunch as needed - makes a great dip for veggies too! Oh, I make a batch of chili and freeze in one cup portions. One of my favorite grab and go lunches...chili, guacamole and a baked sweet out of the fridge.

2. Sunshine sauce! http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/07/21/sunshine-sauce/

Love it with cooked chopped chicken and then over spaghetti squash, cooked, shredded cabbage or my favorite, roasted rutabaga rice! Some roasted broccoli and carrots on the side and it was a delicious lunch today!

3. Yummy egg bake - I use a little less chili powder and omit the peppers and add a little more sweet potato - but a great dish to eat on for several breakfasts. My dh (not doing this). Likes it too! I've tried to freeze it but don't love the texture....so I just halve it and eat it in 3 days. The general directions would lend itself to any other meat, veggie combo. http://everydaypaleo.com/southwestern-frittata/

4. Reading labels....I was shocked to see sugar on the label of a national brand of tomato paste! The store brand was better! So even reading one label thinking, oh, I can use tomato paste and grab the wrong one. So wrong!

5. Bigelow mint medley herb tea - what I make for myself as soon as I walk in the door from work (needed to kick the red wine habit!).

6. You will be cooking a lot, take the time weekly to do some cook-ups! and make some freezer meals. I have lots of proteins cooked in the freezer, chicken, pulled pork, turkey sausages, beef...whatever you like, cook lots and freeze in individual servings (I use ziplock snack bags....they hold just about 5-6 oz of most proteins) then I pack them in a quart sized freezer bag. I also have a couple bags of frozen mixed veggies for that night when I'm too hungry/tired to cook.

7. Got a spiralizer for my first whole 30- such fun! There is a yummy sweet potato fajita recipie here -

http://www.inspiralized.com/?s=Fajitas

(Another good recipie on there is butternut squash, sausage stuffing that I made with ground pork and seasoned heavily!). Makes a great breakfast hash, with or without a couple of eggs on top. Freezes pretty good.

Sorry for the long post, but had lots to say after reading all you posts!

Day one went without a hitch...a little more cooking than I normally do but I just doubled everything so no cooking tomorrow.  Brilliant!  Would have loved a salted caramel after dinner but survived the moment.  (I really need to toss that big old red box of them...argh).

Weighed and took before pics.  I recently lost 25 pounds so not to shabby, anything is an improvement.  Onward to day two.  Left over Macadamia nut crusted chicken breasts....oh boy!

Enjoy your evening ladies!  

Kathi

p.s.  I made the homemade mayo from Thehealthyfoodie.com....OMG, perfection and so easy.  I may never buy Best Foods again...hubby loved it too!  Double points!

what brand do you use? i just looked around and confused myself...is it a small, like 2 oz, bottle or like 10 oz...and some of these speak to use as facial ingredient rather than to ingesting...is it the same product? i honestly have never encountered orange blossom water, but sounds quite lovely...

I go to a middle eastern market where its kept in the coffee and tea section. Sadaf is the brand.

i will get the orange blossom water...i'm finding it speaking to me...trying to learn to go with those inner urges...as long as they don't involve alcohol or eating to keep from saying what i really want to say (the former is just gone from my life and the later is being redirected to a journal)...

i am 1000% with those where a before pic is maybe but measurements etc...are indeed a shudder...and i actually have a before from over a year ago...just took a lot longer than anticipated to truly and honestly Start...

so maybe the "gotta kill somebody" will fade today and i am sleeping a lot and deciding to just enjoy...i work from home so it just means more time later in the day to sit at this computer and procrastinate...

btw, lots of snow here in Alexandria, it's so pretty...especially when you don't have to go anywhere...

Good Morning! Day 4 here. I made the recipe in Well Fed, Italian Pork Roast, it was delicious. Now I'm trying to find ways to use it up. So I had scrambled eggs, pork roast and spinach cooked in coconut oil and served on top of guacamole with salsa at the top. Yum! Keep up the good work everyone.

Good Morning! Day 4 here. I made the recipe in Well Fed, Italian Pork Roast, it was delicious. Now I'm trying to find ways to use it up. So I had scrambled eggs, pork roast and spinach cooked in coconut oil and served on top of guacamole with salsa at the top. Yum! Keep up the good work everyone.

I also made the Italian Pork Roast it was so easy and so good.  Did you mix it all together when you cooked your eggs?  

Day one went without a hitch...a little more cooking than I normally do but I just doubled everything so no cooking tomorrow.  Brilliant!  Would have loved a salted caramel after dinner but survived the moment.  (I really need to toss that big old red box of them...argh).

Weighed and took before pics.  I recently lost 25 pounds so not to shabby, anything is an improvement.  Onward to day two.  Left over Macadamia nut crusted chicken breasts....oh boy!

Enjoy your evening ladies!  

Kathi

p.s.  I made the homemade mayo from Thehealthyfoodie.com....OMG, perfection and so easy.  I may never buy Best Foods again...hubby loved it too!  Double points!

I added fresh garlic and basil to my homemade mayo and used it on chicken.

Archived