Wine reintroduction

Rachelsara

I'm on day 38 and have yet to reintroduce any foods. I haven't wanted or needed to (which I'm elated about btw.) This week I'd only like to have a glass of wine. I guess I'm just looking for suggestions/thoughts on the best way to do this. I feel a bit nervous about it which is so silly. It's a treat that I'm excited about having with a nice meal but at the same time worried I'll feel like a failure even though I completed my 30 days. Am I crazy?! What was your experience?

• Moderators

GFChris covered the wine itself, but I wanted to add that you definitely shouldn't feel like a failure! You completed a Whole30 -- that's a success. And you haven't gone straight back to eating junk (if you did before), you're clearly thinking about your food choices and considering what things you will really enjoy. That is also success.

The thing is, though, while it is absolutely possible to eat Whole30 forever, most people find themselves in situations where they want to go off plan at some point. That's not only okay, it's encouraged. You're meant to figure out what works best for you, not just keep following the rules because they're the rules.

You should read through some of the articles about reintroduction and riding your own bike: herehere, and here

I reintroduced wine. I think I had 1 glass for my reintroduction. My general recommendation would be 1-2 glasses on wine reintro day and see what happens. Notice especially if your sleep quality is impacted.

Thanks, I agree, 1-2 glass would be a good start...with lots of water and good carbs as a buffer.

GFChris covered the wine itself, but I wanted to add that you definitely shouldn't feel like a failure! You completed a Whole30 -- that's a success. And you haven't gone straight back to eating junk (if you did before), you're clearly thinking about your food choices and considering what things you will really enjoy. That is also success.

The thing is, though, while it is absolutely possible to eat Whole30 forever, most people find themselves in situations where they want to go off plan at some point. That's not only okay, it's encouraged. You're meant to figure out what works best for you, not just keep following the rules because they're the rules.

You should read through some of the articles about reintroduction and riding your own bike: herehere, and here.

Well said! I want pre-whole 30 foods to be considered a special and very occasional treat. That first article you referenced hit the nail on the head. I guess there's an irrational fear that having one pre-30 food/drink will take away all the benefits I've seen and send me back. I have to find my balance and get on the bike! Thanks so much for your feedback.

• Moderators

Thanks, I agree, 1-2 glass would be a good start...with lots of water and good carbs as a buffer.

Alcohol is pretty much the only thing in my post-Whole30 world semi-regular rotation (like once a week) that isn't compliant. I actually recommend making sure to eat protein to offset all the sugars, keep your intake to a minimum, and of course, I agree: stay super hydrated.

Archived