Gayla's 1st Whole30 Adventure

Lazykitty

January 14 = Day 14...2 weeks! The results from this way of eating are truly wonderful...

(Mon/Tuesday - my sil gained custody of her 11 yo grandson..I do not wish to repeat any of this drama. He is safer.)

Day 3/primal challenge...maybe I am too old for exercise? Really, not a valid excuse, think...ok, how about I'm allergic! No, you aren't, ev1 gets the same 24 hours/day...and you're not too busy to be on the computer. Use your time more wisely. Okay, conscience you are a pain in my derrière!

W30 has made me realize that Nana, Grandma & Mom (thank you)were feeding all of us the right way, the healthy way!

Reboot is definitely working and I realize that this is right time to change my 'stinkin thinkin' (as Flylady says), flexibility in my mindset instead of concrete thinking.

Think play, play and play!! Grok on!

Okay, we're home and still on track, met sil at Starbucks and smell wasn't enticing like it used to be...she is still upset with her son. Anyway, I kept my mouth shut (she had a caramel latte and a bear claw), I drank water I brought from home and just listened. It was eye opening, food does affect us...tunnel vision, perhaps.

Dinner is actually breakfast again...2x in one day. We are in a rut. I have no desire for a nap, are they a thing of the past??

Night all.

January 15 = Day 15. I did it!!! I am so proud of myself. Go me!!

Today is exercise day and that is NOT a bad word.

Breakfast is light...homemade chicken stock and hard boiled eggs (Lyle is golfing and I am going over to clubhouse to use the equipment)

Brunch when he gets done, shrimp salad on bed of raw and cooked veggies.

It's so good to be alive!

Dusted, vacuumed the middles, shined my kitchen sink and did my PEMs.

Wall push-ups - 15 + 17=32 (40+40=80). I am little behind, something to aspire too!

Pull-ups - still at -0- so I did grok hang instead.

Wall squats - 15+11=26 (50+50=100) bad, bad

Plank - 30 seconds 2x (90 secondsx2)

I feel better and more relaxed. I am pleased with what I accomplished.

And they fly by the halfway mark - woohoo! Yay Us!

Btw, I really like your idea to do a special cookbook. I have a huge binder of old recipes (guess which section is the biggest...that's right, desserts Haha) full of recipes that I rarely use and some haven't used in years. I think I need to clean it out and just use the same binder for my new way of eating. Maybe a small section in the back for old recipes that I use when I need to take food to a group function or a sick friend. Thanks for the idea!

Best wishes for smooth sailing through the 2nd half!!!

Kathleen

January 16 = Day 16...I did it, I passed the halfway mark and I have not cheated!! I am so proud of myself.

Exercised yesterday and felt better today, in spite of my lack of skill, just getting down on the floor and getting back up helped as an exercise. The 21 day thing is keeping me hopping. They are allowed foods I can't have (chocolate). But this will pass soon enuf.

I am happy that I haven't taken the easy way out.

Wow, it's Day 17 and I am amazed at how well and energetic I feel; this is feeling of success is so ego-boosting.

Exercise plans:

Sunday thru Saturday - walk 15 minutes (morning walk and after dinner stroll)

Sunday - warm up (5 minutes), walk/sprint (10x for 10 steps or 25 yards)

Monday-Wednesday-Friday - PEMs

Daily - lift heavy things (me! Using my own body weight for fun)

This plan is feasible and I really like accountability when I am attempting something new and I have no excuse for not succeeding!

Jan. 18/Day 18 and the countdown begins, 12 days to go. Go, me!!!

We're going to Vegas for my bd, I'll bring the Magic Bullet and coconut oil for morning coffees, we'll eat at the buffets (steamed foods of all kinds, fruits, veggies, fish...I will avoid the dessert bars...look but don't touch!!!).

Food is so easy now, have found a book called "Step-by-Step Paleo" by Joanna Alderson on Amazon. An E-Daybook, 4 weeks at a time. Got book 1 free last month and just opened it yesterday, book 2 is free this month (February), I'm going to get it.

Grok on!!

January 22-Day 22: Las Vegas was super! Dining wasn't as hard as I expected. This was a great experience and I realize ISFW is right; do I want cake, ice cream or cookies OR do I want peas, corn tortillas and cheese? A resounding split pea soup with ham hocks, enchiladas/burritos and cheesy mashed faux Tatoes, yes, yes and yes.

My new habits allow me to make informed choices, I do not have to eat like everyone else. My choices matter to me and I know how to plan for them. I realize denying myself allows me to skip having illnesses created by poor food choices. And I am grateful I found whole30 when I did. For myself and my family, I will set an example and when requested, I will talk about it away from the table.

January 27 - Day 27: family has been here since Friday, I love my dh's family but watching them at mealtimes is like watching a train wreck! They attempt to outdo each other ailment wise and I did nothing to stop it. In fact when questioned about my food choices, I simply ignored the question and asked how they were doing on their low fat diet! And did I get an earful, I just nodded. If they can be that easily distracted then they really didn't want to hear my answer.

Janie broke her arm in 2 places, they were clean breaks and the dr. Didn't set it. The cancer has moved to new area. She wants to die at home, her children are ambivalent. They don't visit her, just telephone! I think they believe it will just go away if they ignore it! We try to help, but she is so depressed.

3 days left and we reintroduce foods, I did and I am so proud of myself!

I wish I could say the same about exercise, I guess I will restart the 21-day Primal Challenge. sigh.....

January 29...have joined Feb. 1 Reinto group. Have decided to do Step 1 and 2, I am omitting 3 and 4. And I am doing t on a weekly basis, rather than every 3 days to evaluate and recover if necessary.

I will not be a strict Paleo, I prefer more lenient guidelines. Not the 80/20, more like 95/5. I enjoy sauces, many recipes are not W30. Perhaps I will experiment. I miss bean/pea soups. Corn tortillas make excellent sandwich wraps. Sigh!

As they said in the beginning, this 30 days is to discover food allergies & autoimmune problems made worse by food sensitivities. Eliminating the things that make feel bad, tired, achy, old is a good thing. But the goal is to make the "live-it" our own.

I'm planning to keep journaling as I've discovered as many behavioral and emotional things I need to work on, as what I eat.

Thanks for being my buddy for the last 30 days. You've helped a lot.

Have a great life with good health, Gayla!

Kathleen

I hope this isn't the last of our sharing, I have enjoyed your company very much and like you, I need behavior modifications also! Better late than never...r u joining a reintroduce group or doing it on your own??

Kathleen,I look forward more adventuring with you. Gayla

Archived