Brewer5: Keto Whole 30

Brewer5

Whole 30 #1 was May 2014.  GREAT experience.  In hindsight, I was able to admit that I began to rely heavily on carrots and nut butter in the evenings as a dessert/reward/TV food.  Of course, I didn't call it that at the time.  ;)

Whole 30 #2 was September 2014.  Another GREAT experience.  There is always so much deep thought for me... a lot of reflection during a Whole 30.  It forces me to take a big step back and think about what I am doing, what are my goals.  It's amazing what sort of progress I can make mentally when those last-minute bad decisions are not even an option.  

For #2 I decided that nuts, seeds, and butters of these were not allowed.  And I stuck with that completely, with the occasional exception of two raw brazil nuts to go with my canned tuna -- recommended to me by my friend Karen, who I believe got that recommendation here from Tom.  But having those things out -- not even as an option for me to go food-without-brakes on -- was a great choice.

I also did not consume fruit (with the exception of one apple -- which really upset my stomach and reminded me to take another close look at FODMAPs during that W30).  

However, I did allow myself to have a great big baked potato every. single. night. of that W30.  That was what I looked forward to every evening, and I knew it, and in my mind I called it exactly what it was.  And I was ok with that.  I was still following the rules, I was still compliant, and I savored each and every one of those potatoes.

The problem I found with that is this:  I did not like what was going on with my blood sugar.  I would actually get shaky in the evenings while preparing supper sometimes (this had not been happening before), I got "hangry" and could not wait to sit down and eat (that potato).  In the mornings, I often felt hungover, heavy, and moody.

As I was finishing that 2nd Whole 30, I was reading Jimmy Moore's book, Keto Clarity, and I soon decided to give it a shot.  (This really has nothing to do with weight loss for me -- none of my Whole 30's have been for that purpose, either.)  I am intrigued by the current research into a keto diet for starving out cancer cells, among other things, and while I have not been diagnosed with cancer -- I do have the possibility of cervical cancer looming before me.  Looking very real.  And big and scary.  SO.  I decided I had nothing to lose, and I dove in.

There was a definite adjustment period.  Our family has been eating mostly Paleo for 2+ years -- but this is different.  I would say my body was quite used to that potato every night, and it let me know it.  It wasn't horrible -- I could still go about my life and take care of my family, but it was what I would call keto flu, for sure.  I was quite determined, however -- and with the support of the folks on Jimmy's forum, I came out on the other side in about 2 weeks quite nicely keto-adapted.  I maintained a strict keto diet for about 30 days before I did any experimenting with carbs.

I have had my Ketonix for about 2 months now (measures breath for ketones, correlates well with the level of beta-hydroxybutyrate in the blood).   I watched my ketone level -- slowly but surely -- climb.  Then I threw in a Carb Nite and found that I can do that once per week and never completely lose my ketones.  They take a dip, sure, but then they continue to climb until my next carb excursion.  My body prefers to run on fat now -- even in the presence of glucose -- and that is pretty freakin cool.  :)  Testing got to be fairly predictable and boring, so I haven't used the Ketonix as much lately as I did in the beginning.  A great tool to use, though -- and I will be testing each morning on this Whole 30.

I will also be testing my fasting blood sugar each day.  This is a new tool to me, as well (highly recommended by Jimmy) -- and I find it a little bit fascinating.  I can see the result of my poor choices lately.  I want to see that number go back down to where it should be.

And that is why I am here:  I need a RESET.  

It has nothing to do with weight loss goals.  I am following a 5/3/1 program -- lifting big and heavy, building muscle, and the scale means nothing to me.  In fact I decided at Thanksgiving I was not even going to weigh myself for an entire year, at least.  And that is quite freeing.

It has nothing to do with New Years resolutions, either.  I have never gotten into that and I never will.  

I just feel it is TIME.  It is needed.  These things that slowly creep back in after a Whole 30 -- dairy, super dark chocolate, alcohol, corn tortilla chips, gluten-free baked goods...  They need to be gone for awhile, so I can remember what it feels like to feel REALLY good again.  And it starts today.  :)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, a word from Chris Kresser about low-carb diets and FBG:

http://chriskresser.com/when-your-%E2%80%9Cnormal%E2%80%9D-blood-sugar-isn%E2%80%99t-normal-part-2

"One caveat here is that very low-carb diets will produce elevated fasting blood glucose levels. Why? Because low-carb diets induce insulin resistance. Restricting carbohydrates produces a natural drop in insulin levels, which in turn activates hormone sensitive lipase. Fat tissue is then broken down, and non-esterified fatty acids (a.k.a. “free fatty acids” or NEFA) are released into the bloodstream. These NEFA are taken up by the muscles, which use them as fuel. And since the muscle’s needs for fuel has been met, it decreases sensitivity to insulin. You can read more about this at Hyperlipid.

So, if you eat a low-carb diet and have borderline high FBG (i.e. 90-105), it may not be cause for concern. Your post-meal blood sugars and A1c levels are more important."

Day 1

FBG:  110

This is the highest I have seen it since I began testing.  This would be directly related to the amount of carbs I consumed last night, AND cherry vodka.  ...This would be a large part of why I am here today.

AM Ketones:  Could not be tested.  Ketonix is only reliable if you have not consumed alcohol in the past 24 hours.  

M1:  eggs (3), spinach, ghee/coconut oil

M2:  Costco pulled pork (no sauce), broccoli, ghee/coconut oil

M3:  ground pork, italian seasonings, zucchini, bell peppers, compliant marinara, dry roasted salted macadamia nuts (2 oz.)

Drinks:  1/4 caff coffee (16 oz), AM only today.  Couldn't take it anymore and had a cup of green tea tonight.  Other than that -- water and sparkling water.  This will likely be my norm, and I don't feel the need to post it every day.

Day 2

FBG:  99

AM Ketones:  6 green

M1:  eggs (3), spinach, coconut oil/ghee

M2:  burger, homemade mayo, broccoli, french green beans, coconut oil/ghee

M3:  salmon burger, sunflower seeds

M4:  low-carb turkey chili, chunky guacamole, macadamia nuts (2 oz)

5/3/1 Bench Press today -- hence, the extra meal.

Day 3

FBG:  94

Ketones:  7 green

M2:  leftover pork/veggie/marinara, macadamia nuts

M3:  spinach, can of tuna, homemade mayo, green olives, sunflower seeds

M4:  leftover pork/veggie/marinara, macadamia nuts

5/3/1 Squats today, plus a busy day.  I was extra hungry tonight.

Day 4

I will update with my meals tonight.  I just had to say:  My stomach was so much happier not on a Whole 30.  

I know there is an adjustment period... I know your gut population changes and adapts to whatever your way of eating is.  I get it.  It still sucks.  

I've paid attention to the FODMAP list hanging on my fridge, but apparently not close enough.  I've allowed a little garlic here, and, well... tomato-based sauces...  they need to be out.  I haven't felt this way since my last Whole 30.   :(  Now I remember why I quite eagerly ditched having vegetables at every meal.

So today, while I will still be "compliant", I cannot guarantee the presence of vegetables with every meal.  I need things to calm down so I can move forward with some more careful choices.

FBG:  95

Ketones:  7 green

M1:  eggs (3), coconut oil/ghee

M2:  can of tuna, chunky guacamole, macadamia nuts

M3:  burger, homemade mayo, macadamia nuts

Also:  coconut milk in my decaf

Meadow, many vodkas are made with gluten-containing grains.  I personally have not found any made from potatoes, although I do know that most of them used to be.  We look for the ones made with corn instead (my husband is the usual vodka drinker, not me), as those are gluten-free and sometimes even labeled as such.  This was Smirnoff, which is made from corn.  I have a hunch that the "cherry" has added sugar (definitely), ;)  and combine that with gluten-free gingerbread houses, tortilla chips.......  Well, you get the idea.  Like I said, time for a RESET.

http://www.tetondistillery.com/

Don't tell anyone.  :D 

I've found  for myself - something we crave, want to eat every single day can be indicative of an allergy, too.   Frozen yogurt, cream in the coffee, ice cream, cheese, cheese, cheese or other items that bait and lure us on a daily basis. 

I'm following your thread in my quiet, snackless corner.

Thanks for the link.  Unfortunately, the shipping would cost almost as much as the vodka itself!  And they don't sell it anywhere in our state.

We have consulted this list before:

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/GlutenFreeAlcohol/a/Gluten-Free-Vodka-List.htm

And there are many on the list made from potatoes.  We just haven't found them yet.

Also a couple made from grapes, and one that says it is just made from sugar cane.

To be clear:  I have never been a big drinker.  Neither is my husband -- but when he does, he usually has vodka in his (cold) green tea or something similar.   If I am going to have something, it's usually a glass of wine -- and I try to stick with something (low-carb) like a Merlot.  Otherwise... if I get something too sweet, I may feel the "need" to occasionally drink the whole bottle.  :D

The cherry vodka was something new/special he decided to try since he was home for the holidays.  I started putting some in my sparkling water, and next thing I knew -- I had overdone it.  I knew it... and I REALLY knew it when I woke up the next morning and saw my blood sugar reading.

Meadow, I would say I have been aware of blood sugar issues for about 13 years now.  It was at that time that I learned about candida and did a cleanse and diet to deal with that.  Since then, having acquired that knowledge, our family has never eaten what I would consider "SAD".  

I became even more aware of what was going on with my blood sugar after we started Paleo (over 2 years ago).  I quickly learned that it does NOT matter if a treat is made with honey, dried fruit, or white sugar in a bag -- SUGAR is SUGAR is SUGAR as far as the effect it has on our bodies.

I think the effect from the potato each night was more noticeable to me because I had not been having starchy carbs every day.  I came into that Whole 30 after experimenting with Carb Nite and Carb Backloading, where you go for a week at a time (or a day or two at a time, in the case of CBL) under 30 net carbs per day.  I realized I felt REALLY good on those long ULC stretches -- and it was the reintroduction of carbs that always seemed to de-rail my good feelings.  That's why I was pretty open to trying out keto, after finishing Jimmy's book.  

But it has just been recently -- since I got the blood glucose monitor -- that I could truly SEE what was going on with my blood sugar, and correlate that to how I am feeling.

"I quickly learned that it does NOT matter if a treat is made with honey, dried fruit, or white sugar in a bag -- SUGAR is SUGAR is SUGAR as far as the effect it has on our bodies."   Good one.

Absolutely.  If I subbed dried fruit and nut bars for food, I would be up the creek without a paddle.   Two wrongs don't make a right for those of us with "BS" probs.   Thanks for sharing your information with us. 

Which monitor did you get?

I researched a lot on Amazon, reading reviews, etc -- and I finally decided on this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0094A76SQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Many others said that they did not come with the "control" solution you are supposed to use at the very beginning and each time you get a new pack of strips.  (So folks who wanted to make sure they were doing everything right, then had to track down this control solution -- which does not sound like an easy task --and then just caused a delay for people who were eager to start testing.)   This one does come with the solution.

Then I purchased this set to go with it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJYWON6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

^That is now cheaper than it was when I bought it.  

The alcohol pads are not necessary, IMO, but it was still a better deal than others offered at the time.  I do not use the pads -- I just wash my hands each time before I test, because the warm water and movement helps improve blood flow to get a good droplet anyway.

I have been very happy with this purchase so far!  And according to the reviews, Bayer will send you free batteries for life, too.  You just have to contact them.  I haven't done that yet -- reminds me, I need to.

{Edit}:  So I just went and registered my product.  You get a free gift for doing this -- some lancets, test strips, or an upgraded wallet to hold everything.  Then I ordered my free battery.  It says they will replace the meter free of charge one time in 5 years, also.

Brewer, this was taken from your last W30 log.  For those that struggle with returning to sugar immediately after 30 days, do you think keto helps?

Posted by sweitzel2u on 13 October 2014 

"Brewer5 - I read the articles you included on ketogenic diets.  Very interesting.  Not only for cancer, but a healthy diet, period.  Very similar to Paleo or W30 from what I've read aside from keeping readings.  That is what attracted me to W30 in the first place...no weighing and measuring.  I have always known about the sugar/cancer relationship too and hate the fact that sugar is my go-to when not following the plan.  The thing that makes me so angry is when I have been on W30 for a while, I have no cravings.  Why I want to go off and eat sugar is beyond me.  I think I just remember how good sugar foods taste.  Thanks for the articles.  The cancer relationship alone may give me incentive."

Then I purchased this set to go with it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJYWON6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

^That is now cheaper than it was when I bought it.

Great! I hadn't started product research yet, but I just read Keto Clarity recently and when he mentions test strips costing $5 apiece I about choked! Glad to see these for $0.35: much more doable :)

For those that struggle with returning to sugar immediately after 30 days, do you think keto helps?

I think anyone is going to struggle with sugar cravings as long as they are regularly giving their body sugar -- in ALL forms.  I feel very strongly that sugar addiction is right up there with addiction to nicotine, alcohol, and other drugs.  I see my own sister struggle with it... and it is a struggle.  It consumes her.  

Keto literally squashes those cravings because we learn that you can kill them with FAT.  Our bodies need fat -- they have no need for sugar.

If you are eating the right amount of protein and fat with a ketogenic diet, there literally are no cravings.  In fact, I hear about "spontaneous fasting" -- where folks can just get busy and forget to eat for an entire day or so.  

I have a good friend, and also my own father, who have allowed me to do a little hand-holding with them, and help them along on their journey.  Both of them have had success killing those late-night sugar cravings by having some decaf coffee with heavy cream.  I have experienced this myself, as well.  One time I had a strong urge to go to a drive-through for ice cream...  but thankfully I realized what I really needed was the fat... So I went to Starbucks and got a coffee with heavy cream instead.  It just seriously took care of it.  ...I realize heavy cream is not good for a W30 -- just an example.  ;)

Great! I hadn't started product research yet, but I just read Keto Clarity recently and when he mentions test strips costing $5 apiece I about choked! Glad to see these for $0.35: much more doable :)

Wait --

The KETONE testing strips ARE that expensive.

I thought you were asking me about the blood glucose monitor.

I test for ketones with the Ketonix.  That is the breath meter.   It is expensive, but if you are in it for the long haul -- will end up MUCH cheaper than buying those strips!

Day 6

FBG:  83

^ I'd like to point out that my fasting blood glucose was the highest I have recorded, just 5 days ago.  Today's number is the lowest I have ever recorded.  When I first took it this morning, it was 82.  I immediately did it again -- different finger -- and came up with 83.  So yes, it's right.

AM Ketones:  9 green

M1:  eggs (3), spinach, coconut oil/ghee, 1/2 avocado

M2:  hard-boiled egg, 1/2 avocado, sunflower seeds

M3:  Costco pulled pork (no sauce), zucchini, asparagus, coconut oil/ghee, macadamia nuts

Day 7

FBG:  80

AM Ketones:  2 yellow

M2:  tuna, chunky guacamole, sunflower seeds

M3:  pork meatballs, bell peppers, french green beans, coconut oil/ghee, macadamia nuts

Ketonix (I have the Sport model) goes like this:  1-10 blinks green < yellow < red.  So seeing the yellow today was good news for me.  :)

Archived