Brewer5: Keto Whole 30

Brewer5

Day 8

FBG:  84

AM Ketones:  9 green

M1:  eggs (3), coconut oil/ghee, 1/2 avocado

M2:  pork meatballs, 1/2 avocado

M3:  pork chop w/ homemade mayo

M4:  burger, homemade mayo, french green beans, macadamia nuts, a few sunflower seeds

5/3/1 Deadlifts today.  M3 was PWO.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Tom D.  speaks....everyone listens in my family.   I've told all of them about the 2 Brazil nuts with a can of tuna and we are all doing that now.   I've been doing that since the day I read it.   It's  caught on like wildfire.   Thank you, Tom.  My sisters ask where I've learned all of these things and then I can share.   One sister buys the tuna and Brazil nuts for her sons in college.

A diet of nuts and Larabars won't get us there.   I am amazed when individuals latch onto those items as meals.  It's a hook-up for disappointment at the end of 30 days.   Day 31 and it's back to the full blown sugar blues.

Day 9

FBG:  89

AM Ketones:  6 green

^ I'm not sure if my numbers are in the wrong direction because we ate late last night, because I ate too many macadamia nuts, or both.  Moving on...

M1:  eggs (3), spinach, coconut oil/ghee

M2:  pork chop, homemade mayo, bacon

M3:  burger, lettuce, tomato, pickle, broccoli, coconut oil/ghee, 2T coconut manna

Today my "baby" turned EIGHT.  He wanted to go to IHOP for lunch... it's all he's talked about.  Do you know they add buttermilk pancake mix to their omelettes?  To make them more fluffy.  Yesterday, I scanned through all 17 pages of their allergen list, and I came up with these items:  coffee, seasonal fruit, plain baked potato, and meats.  Bacon, ham, sausages.  Fruit and potato are OUT for me right now.  The meat is of course all cured with sugar.  So I had the pork chop with mayo at home, and I intended to go and just drink some black coffee.  Once I got there, and everyone else was ordering their food, I decided this was downright ridiculous and I ordered a side of bacon.  The waitress laughed and said, "Seriously?"  And I was like, yep, I'm serious.  Just bring me some bacon.  And that is what I had:  black coffee and bacon.  Surrounded by pancakes, omelettes, all sorts of deliciousness...  And I was totally fine with that.  I know that this is not cause for a restart, and I am not going to.  It was my son's birthday, and if the worst I can say at the end of the day is "I ate bacon" -- well, I think I did just fine.  ;)

Ok, the first week or so has been great.  I have accomplished many things.

- I've gotten back to eating 3x per day and no snacking.

- For the most part, I've gotten back to the protein+fat+veggie template.

- I am doing better than ever at avoiding FODMAPs -- or at least limiting them more -- so I am not having too much digestive distress.

- The 90% dark chocolate in the evening (2 squares) that had crept back in, needed to be out.  And I feel better without them, for sure.

- My afternoon coffee habit is out again, replaced with green tea.

- I really look forward to going to bed at night.  And it's not usually a grumpy tired, it is a "just right" tired.  Falling asleep easily.

- I don't wake up feeling hungover.

- My wedding rings do not get unbearably tight because I am not holding onto a bunch of excess water.  

- I am drinking more water because I am just naturally more thirsty.

- My whole family is eating better, because I am eating better.  I am the one who sets the example around here, for the most part.

- I've decided to cut out nuts and seeds again, in favor of better sources of fat (for now anyway).

- I don't weigh myself, but if anything -- I just feel less bloated overall than I did over Christmas break.

^ I am sure I could add to this list, but all of a sudden I've got a lot of other things to be doing right now.   :rolleyes:

And all of this is in addition to the well-known benefits of keto:  No crazy blood sugar swings, I NEVER get shaky, I can go for long periods without food if I need to, level and even energy throughout the day.  

NOW that I've got all that nailed down -- I am going to focus on upping the fat and cutting back on the protein a bit more, to see what kind of colors I can achieve on that Ketonix!

Day 10

FBG:  90

AM Ketones:  8 green

M1:  eggs (2), spinach, coconut oil/ghee, also 1/2T ghee & 1/2T MCT in my coffee

M2:  low-carb turkey chili, chunky guacamole, coconut oil

M3:  hard-boiled eggs (2), homemade mayo, spinach

M4:  salmon cakes, broccoli, ghee, coconut manna

Today was not a workout day, yet I felt the need for 4 meals.  {shrug}   I felt foggy after the chili -- which my husband made and I wasn't going to eat because of the FODMAPs -- and it took me several hours to recover from that.  It was a very noticeable reaction.  Felt great -- then didn't.  No more canned tomato products for me!  The spices could be contributing, also.  Another thing to pay attention to.

Edited to say:  My ketones have always been higher at bedtime.  For this 30 days, I thought I'd just test once, first thing in the morning when I do my blood sugar.  But tonight I decided to do it just to see.  (Honestly, I am tired of seeing green.)  2 yellow tonight -- I'll take it!  :)

Day 11

FBG:  87

AM Ketones:  9 green

M1:  eggs (3), kale, coconut oil/ghee, & MCT in coffee

M2:  hard-boiled eggs (2), spinach, homemade mayo

M3:  burger, tomato, lettuce, pickle

M4:  chicken breast, zucchini, bell pepper, onion, coconut oil/ghee, coconut manna

5/3/1 Bench Press today.

Day 13

FBG:  88

AM Ketones:  1 yellow

M1:  eggs (3), kale, coconut oil, ghee

M2:  ground beef, broccoli, coconut aminos, coconut manna

M3:  salmon cakes, spinach, homemade mayo, coconut manna

Very glad I decided to make my own coconut manna.  I can make 4 jars for the price of one, just using unsweetened shredded coconut in my food processor.  I also just want to say that I know this can be food without brakes for some folks.  But not me.  I have measured it out and kept it to 2 Tbsp. max, no problem.  It's just enough fat at the end of a meal to know I've had enough fat and will be satiated until the next meal.

My mind misses macadamia nuts sometimes, but my stomach does not.  :)  

Day 14

FBG:  84

AM Ketones:  4 yellow  

^ Highest morning reading ever.  Highest I have gotten in my Ketonix testing (ever) was 7 yellow -- and that was in the evening, when ketones are generally higher.  So this is a very good sign.  My patience and persistence are paying off.  

M1:  eggs (3), kale, spinach, coconut oil/ghee

M2:  can of tuna, spinach, coconut oil/ghee, brazil nuts (2)

M3:  burger, guacamole, green beans, coconut oil/ghee, sunflower seeds, coconut manna

Yep, I allowed myself one serving of sunflower seeds this evening -- going back on my own self-imposed rule.  Let me just say that I needed the fiber, and I'll leave it at that.   ;)

Groceries were looking ridiculously bare today, so we had to make the big trip to the city for Costco and Trader Joe's.  All stocked up now, and ready to rock the 2nd half of my keto Whole 30.

Beautiful moment of the day:

I cooked up a bunch of cauliflower florets with just coconut oil, ghee, and salt for lunch today.  

My 8 year old told me:  "It's really good, but it tastes like candy to me, so I don't think I should eat any more of it."

:D

I have finally gotten back to the forum and the first thing I did was to look for a post from you!  I was so happy to see that you were doing another w30!  I am just starting today.....  I had several false starts recently and thought that by coming back to the forum I would have some accountability :)  

Happy Birthday to your "baby" - and a big WooHoo for bacon!!!

Day 15

FBG:  85

AM Ketones:  6 yellow

M1:  eggs (3), kale, coconut oil/ghee

M2:  turkey burger, homemade mayo, cauliflower, coconut oil/ghee

M3:  Costco pulled pork (no sauce), broccoli, cauliflower, coconut oil/ghee, macadamia nuts

I declared that my stomach was happier without the nuts & seeds because I realized things had been really calm and quiet.  ...Well -- TOO calm.  How about a stand-still?   :rolleyes:   I took them out because I thought they weren't serving much of a purpose except as super convenient fat.  Now they are back in because they are serving a purpose!  Temporarily, anyway.  Sigh.

Day 16

FBG:  84

AM Ketones:  8 green

M2:  burger, guacamole, sunflower seeds

M3:  salmon cakes, spinach, homemade mayo, marcona almonds, macadamia nuts

VERY busy day today with dentist appts for the kids, AND we've decided to put our house on the market -- so I spent a large part of the day painting.  Ugh.

If I had not been on a Whole 30, I would have ordered Mexican food.  No doubt about it.  Instead, I let my 13-year-old make supper mostly by himself.  I think this was the first time that has ever happened.  I think it was good for him.  ;)

Day 17

FBG:  86

AM Ketones:  1 yellow

M2:  turkey burger, homemade mayo, green beans, coconut oil/ghee, coconut manna, sunflower seeds

M3:  hard-boiled eggs (3), homemade mayo, spinach, marcona almonds

Another very busy day of painting, etc.  Literally on my feet the entire day.  Feeling good, though... really good.  I went quite awhile between breakfast and lunch without really realizing it.  I LOVE that I can do that and not get even remotely hangry!

Day 18

FBG:  89

AM Ketones:  10 green

M1:  eggs (3), spinach, coconut oil

M2:  Costco pulled pork (no sauce), green beans, coconut oil

M3:  ground pork, italian seasonings, zucchini, bell peppers, marinara ( <-- I know better.  Yes, still upsets my stomach. ), sunflower seeds

Third day in a row of non-stop painting.  I had to get the living room done today because tomorrow is football around here!  It is 2:20 am and I still have to go tear the tape off the edges of trim, etc and put the furniture back.  Sigh.  It looks nice, though -- and it is DONE!  Now on to other rooms...

Interestingly, I get this "fluid in the ear" feeling pretty much ONLY when I am doing a Whole 30.  It's annoying.  So I started thinking...  WHAT am I eating more of on a Whole 30 than I usually would?  And I am coming up with these suspects:  eggs, coconut oil, ghee.  So, starting today, the ghee is out for me.  It is still sort of dairy... and honestly, that is the easiest one for me to give up.  {Please don't let it be eggs, please don't let it be eggs...}

Today I painted.  Again.  All day.  And I was short on sleep because I was up so late last night working on this project.  So I got about 7 hours of sleep, and I am so glad that I have learned -- really, truly learned -- that that is not enough for me.  

Because:  As I painted, I daydreamed about carbs today.  This is the first time this has happened on my Whole 30.  

Cherry wine, Mexican food, movie popcorn... those are at the top of my list.  Not in that order, just... those are the things that kept invading my thoughts today.

Anyway, I know it is related to lack of sleep, and I am committed to sleeping well tonight.

Day 19

FBG:  83

AM Ketones:  10 green

{Enough with the green already.   :rolleyes:   I reduced my protein a bit today.}

M1:  eggs (2), kale, coconut oil

M2:  ground pork, italian seasonings, green beans, coconut oil, coconut manna, sunflower seeds

M3:  burger, chunky guacamole, macadamia nuts

Hmm, as I type that out -- no wonder I was dreaming of food.  I was literally on my feet all day again, up and down the ladder, up and down the ladder, very busy.  Probably did not eat enough overall.

In other news, I am learning that it's not just the marinara sauce I have an issue with when we make that dish.  Just the pork with the spices really upset my stomach today, too.  ...So much fun trying to figure this stuff out.  I would automatically blame the spices if I had not seen several people report problems with PORK lately.  More investigating to be done to figure this one out, for sure.  Yay.

Day 20

FBG:  83

AM Ketones:  2 yellow

M1:  eggs (2), kale, coconut oil, coconut manna

M2:  tuna, spinach, homemade mayo, brazil nut

M3:  burger, homemade mayo, bacon, tomato, lettuce, pickle, sunflower seeds, coconut manna

Still battling stomach issues today and I am so OVER it.  I won't get into more details about that, now that I know what a weak stomach MeadowLily has!   ^_^

Archived