Brewer5: Keto Whole 30

Brewer5

just a thought with the tummy trouble....  How much coconut do you eat off w30?  are you eating more now?  Could that be the culprit?

Hope you feel better !

Karen, sure the coconut could be part of the problem. FODMAPs there, too... FODMAPs everywhere! SIGH. But... Remember I had trouble on my last Whole 30 also? And I was not eating coconut. Pretty sure. I need to go back and look at that thread again. See what day this started. Maybe this is just my norm for a Whole 30. Day such-and-such: "Clean out!" Ugh. No thank you. :(

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woke up to 8 yellow on my Ketonix today -- that's the highest reading I've ever had, period.  And it's usually higher in the evenings.  So... I will have to do it tonight before bed, just to see if I can get RED on this thing!  My kids won't even believe it.  They've seen so much green...  :rolleyes:

Day 21

FBG:  85

AM Ketones:  8 yellow

M1:  eggs (2) + yolk (1), coconut oil

M2:  turkey burger, homemade mayo, broccoli, coconut oil, sunflower seeds

snack:  macadamia nuts  <--  Yep, first time I can say I "snacked" on this Whole 30.  I was busy painting and a million other things and... I just ate some nuts.  {shrug}

M3:  canned chicken breast, spinach, homemade mayo, Frank's red hot sauce, garlic stuffed green olives, sunflower seeds, coconut manna

Stomach better today -- so thankful.

Lots of thinking about what I am going to do post-W30.  I will not lie -- there is that part of me that is thinking, thinking, thinking about the carbs.  My next thought is usually how __________ doesn't make me feel good, though.  How it makes me tired.  Foggy.  Bump-on-a-log-ish.  I don't miss that.  I've had a very productive 21 days so far.  My mind is clear.  My energy is steady.  

Every time I finish a W30, I gradually drift back to a place of poor choices.  ...Maybe I am tired of that.  Ready to jump off the merry-go-round for good.  

I'm not saying that I will strive for 100% keto 100% of the time... but the Carb Nites... yeah, I probably just need to say goodbye to that lifestyle.  I don't feel like it is mentally healthy for me.  One night of "eat what you want" -- then back to a solid week of ultra-low-carb.  I rebel against it.   :ph34r:   What if I want carbs on a random Wednesday?  What if I don't want to wait until the weekend?  ...Ah, I don't know... sometimes it works for me and sometimes it doesn't.  You've got to factor in moods, hormones, sleep, stress.  Bottom line is:  I'm not feeling any desire to go back in that direction.  

This is only my first time doing keto, and for me the thing about carbs is my whole reason for keto in the first place: the potential road from high carb -> high blood sugar -> insulin resistance -> diabetes -> Alzheimer's (aka Type III diabetes).  So I need to rationalize my carb cravings against my long-term health concerns ... it's difficult to think about *never* eating M&Ms ever again, but then, do I want to have issues in 40 years and *then* wish I *had* stopped eating M&Ms?

kirkor, the battle with sugar is very real -- and I put it right up there with nicotine.  I quit smoking many times before I could truly say it was for good.  And my mantra to myself then was:  "If smoking is so great, then why aren't you smoking?"  That helped me immediately remember all of the disgusting reasons why I don't do that anymore.

I try to apply this to trigger foods, as well:  "If heavy cream is so great, then why aren't you drinking heavy cream?"  Cue the flood of memories... all the reasons I am NOT able to have "just a little" heavy cream.  (It turns into an addiction and I could literally live on the stuff).   :unsure:

None of this is new to me...  I feel like I've known all the"right" things to do for a long time now.  But it literally has to be a rational decision made each and every day, not allowing my emotions to take over.  MUCH like quitting nicotine.  It's not that the cigarette was so damn great -- it was the feelings associated with it.  Same for Mexican food, movie popcorn, and cherry wine.  They are all good...  But that is not why I am thinking about them right now, and I know it.  It's because they sound like "fun" to me.  It's because of the memories associated with those foods.  Very powerful.

I wish you the best of luck staying on the keto path.  I DO believe it is the true path to health.

Same for Mexican food, movie popcorn, and cherry wine. They are all good... But that is not why I am thinking about them right now, and I know it. It's because they sound like "fun" to me. It's because of the memories associated with those foods. Very powerful.

Interesting to think about the memories over the taste. I've read that before re: over-eating in general: we eat the comfort food to receate the memories & feelings that have become anchored to that food over the years. And it's subconscious so we don't even realize it. Kinda like how when I was a kid I thought "peer pressure" was a joke, because it's not like my friends were calling me out, saying I should/need to do specific things ... then as I got older I realized peer pressure is real but it's subtle and we're all steeped in it by nature of having a peer group we self-identify with and do things unconsciously that follow the rules of the tribe, so to speak.

I'll have to play with framing my craving in terms of memories ... usually I've been framing it in terms of "so what, ya, it tastes good, what about it?? That's not enough reason to do it! Plenty of other things that both *taste* good and *are* good, so eat those instead!"

Wolves have peer pressure, too.   There is the pack mentality - alpha, beta.   Traveling with the herd or grazing with the sheep...we've all done that.    I think it's possible that I have went in and out of keto without really knowing it.   I am really interested in what your long term strategies are for keto.   How long for your keto protocols and how will you integrate complex carbs back into the picture.

When I was eating fish 3X day, it was like rocket fuel for the brain.   I was filled with joy and optimism.   What carbs will you allow back in for a minimum or will it be a zer0-mum?

Day 22

FBG:  83

AM Ketones:  4 yellow

M1:  eggs (2) + yolk (1), kale, coconut oil

M2:  burger, guacamole, sunflower seeds

snack:  macadamia nuts

M3:  canned chicken breast, spinach, homemade mayo, Frank's red hot sauce, garlic stuffed green olives, sunflower seeds, coconut manna

Ended up having to run to the neighbor's to babysit tonight on literally zero notice.  Had the kids bring me a can of macadamia nuts -- hence, the snack... again.

MeadowLily, I don't have a plan or strategy for adding back in complex carbs... mainly because I have no reason whatsoever to think I "need" them.  I think I will continue to monitor my FBG and ketones well beyond this 30 days.  I think my decisions will be largely based on what I see happening with those numbers.

Now that my stomach is back to normal -- I am taking out the macadamia nuts again to see what happens.  They are dry roasted and salted anyway, which on some level IS providing an emotional "hit" or something, I'm sure.   :rolleyes:  Even if I don't go crazy with them.

I like what Robb Wolf has always said -- in nature, not only would they not be roasted & salted, but we would have to individually take them out of their shells (not an easy process).  He has said, if you are going to eat them, eat them that way.  Raw, in their shells.  You will eat much less that way.  

I have found complete avoidance more appealing than this idea in the past.  But now I am thinking, maybe that is exactly what I need to do.  Nutcracking.  My new favorite pastime.   B)

Seeds and nuts.  Yep, I completely agree with the roasted/salted nut avoidance.   I eat 2 Brazil nuts with a can of tuna.   I do use Macadamia Nut oil every day and EVOlive oil, too.   They don't  trigger me at all.     I don't cook with the EVOlive oil but use it on salads or a couple teaspoons of either of those oils to smother my trigger - heavy cream.   

I like  heavy cream and I know many "ketos" use it.   Heavy cream and coffee....something I've kicked to the curb to curb cravings.

Day 23

FBG:  83

AM Ketones:  2 yellow

M1:  eggs (2) + yolk (1), spinach, coconut oil

M2:  tuna, guacamole, brazil nuts (2), sunflower seeds

M3:  salmon cakes  (cooked for the kids and decided to eat two of them)

M4:  eggs (3), brussels sprouts, coconut oil/bacon grease, coconut manna

I remembered today that I had a jar of pastured bacon grease in the fridge that I had carefully, lovingly saved.  It was reeeally good on those brussels sprouts tonight.  It took me a long time, but I sliced them up thin and cooked them in the wok with salt & pepper.  Yum.

I love that my appreciation for vegetables has returned in full force.  I read in Grain Brain (I think) that we have all new taste buds about every 10 days.  Mine have definitely changed back for the better.

Day 24

FBG:  86

AM Ketones:  8 green

M1:  eggs (2), brussels sprouts, coconut oil/bacon grease

M2:  salmon cakes, homemade mayo

M3:  burger, bacon, homemade mayo, tomato, pickle, lettuce, green beans, sunflower seeds, coconut manna

I didn't eat enough for lunch because I really wasn't hungry and also, we were low on veggies.  All of my leafy greens were gone.  Now I have been to the store, stocked up, and trust me -- I made up for it with my portions on supper.  

I got back to my strength training today, after taking an unplanned 8 days off due to painting, etc.  I am never hungry right after a workout, but it does catch up with me later, I believe.  Muscle to build, after all.  ;)

I am trying not to let the ketones get me down.  I was all excited to see red, but this experiment is showing that it is much harder to achieve than I would have thought.  I also have no idea how folks get fasting blood sugar in the 50-60 range (!) and I am unsure whether I will ever be willing to do what is required to get there, either.

I feel good, for the most part.  Definitely felt the need to get back to my lifting.  I don't feel like "me" without it, and that is not just in my head.  I feel it in my whole body, my whole being.  We were made to lift heavy things.  I love being strong.

One more note:  I have not experienced the "fluid in the ear" feeling since I stopped eating ghee.  {shrug}  I am going to have to add it back in at some point and test my theory again to be sure.

And another:  Cruising around the grocery store tonight, it occurred to me how many aisles there are that we don't even go down.  Literally entire aisles of crap that we. just. don't. use.  Yet folks think they need it.  When snow is coming -- the shelves are EMPTY of bread -- because, after all, we can't survive a snow storm without bread, right?  "Aaaaagggghhhh!  What will we do?!"  The kids and I had a good laugh about that one tonight.   :lol:

I'd also like to give a shout-out to MeadowLily, who has been so supportive during this Whole 30.  I started out just trying to dig myself out of what felt like a Holiday Hole... and she has made me want to BE the person that she thinks I am.  Strong, confident, having it all figured out.  I openly admit that I do not feel that way all the time, and there have been moments when I may have caved to temptation if I didn't know that I would then have to come here and admit it and disappoint her.  MeadowLily, thank you.  I am blessed to have gotten to know you on this journey.

Definitely re-evaluating things today.  Woke up with my blood sugar almost as high as Day 2.   :(   Ketones going backward, too.

I ate a lot at supper last night... I already said that.  Thankfully the damn sunflower seeds are GONE now... and we are not buying them anymore.  They serve no real purpose here except as an easy snack to crunch on.  Sure, they have fiber and fat, but there are better sources.

Starting my day with some bulletproof coffee, since there's still plenty of blood sugar circulating, apparently.   :unsure:  I am not a big fan, and in the past it has been almost TOO stimulating.  That's why I don't do it every day (or even very often).  But I am slowly cutting back on my already-small-amount of caffeine lately, so that may make a difference.  We shall see.  Lots to do here today... a good day to get overstimulated, if it is going to happen.

Right back at you, Brewer5.     You and Kirkor have encouraged me,  you're always researching.  book2.gif      You've given me a lesson about cashews being the carbiest nut.  You've examined the underbelly of dried fruits.   We have seen the underbelly and it's swinging low like a chariot.  Swing low, sweet, sweet, extremely sweet chariot....comin' for to carry you hooommme.   Swing low sweet chariot filled with dried fruits and nuts - comin' for to carry you home to the land of fruits and nuts.

Your keto threads have upped my game for sugar awareness.  It's everywhere, it's everywhere.   I used to drink coconut water a long time ago  before I learned it's basically fruit juice or sugar water.    Dates prevent "over-slimming".  lol3.gif lol3.gif

Keep on rockin' in the free world and thanks a million for your lessons. character43.gif

Dates prevent "over-slimming".  lol3.gif lol3.gif

Your entire post gave me a much-needed laugh this morning.....  But I had to highlight this gem.  I know you posted a bunch of date stuff on another thread, but I'd love a link to this one right here, please!   :D  That is hilarious.

Ah, yes, we used to have dates in our house.  Long ago, when I first learned about candida, I remember us buying dates at the health food store.  They were chopped up tiny and coated in... flour?  To keep them from sticking to each other, I guess.  My husband LOVED those... and of course, we thought we were eating so much "better" by doing this.  ...Right.  

I once compared the sugar grams of the # of dates someone here was eating to a Snickers bar and a DQ Blizzard for them.  The "junk" was the clear winner, with less grams of sugar and even some protein.  I realize dates probably have some vitamins and minerals that the "junk" doesn't have, but I am not talking vitamins and minerals......  I am saying, if your goal is to slay the dragon and lose fat, dates are not conducive to that goal.  Way too much sugar.

(Sorry Karen, I know you have been eating dates, prunes! and I swear this is not directed at you.  MeadowLily and I have mutual strong feelings about the number of folks here who are snacking on nuts/seeds, butters of these, dried fruits, Larabars, etc. and then cannot figure out why they are not seeing the results they want to see and feel.)   Hope you know me well enough by now to know that I am not preaching...  I mean, really, take a look at what I did to myself last night with sunflower seeds and coconut.   :rolleyes:

Anyway -- dates made a reappearance in our house when we started Paleo.  We found nifty recipes for bars, cookies, etc. that used dates.  I knew better and never snacked on them by themselves (nor did my husband, or my kids)... but boy, they made some tasty recipes.  Thankfully -- you know what happened?  As we all started to feel better, as we moved along our journey and learned more and more, 2 different times I had bought a container of dates "just in case" for recipes -- and they ended up getting thrown out because they sat in the refrigerator until they got dried out and nasty.  I also just threw out a HUGE bag of Craisins I found in the cabinet that had expired in September.  Win!

(Sorry Karen, I know you have been eating dates, prunes! and I swear this is not directed at you..  Win!

I gotcha! It's funny tho - I had bought the prunes to make some pate (which I still haven't brought myself to eat). When I was craving something sweet and "compliant" I thought of them sitting in the fridge. Figured they would also help my tummy ..well, you know.....

Anyway, I was thinking this am how one bite of something can lead to other things and how I am really going to have to watch how many I eat. Besides the obvious prune issues ;).

And another:  Cruising around the grocery store tonight, it occurred to me how many aisles there are that we don't even go down.  Literally entire aisles of crap that we. just. don't. use.

I was JUST thinking this yesterday! There's a grocery store nearby, and I often pop in from a walk or a bike ride to see if there's any meat markdowns, etc. Usually I just beeline to the 2 sections I'm scoping out. Yesterday I happened to take a different aisle, and it was cereal down one side, and fruit juice and other beverages down the other. I thought to myself, this entire aisle could just *disappear* from the store!

Day 25

FBG:  98

AM Ketones:  7 green

M1:  eggs (3), kale, coconut oil -- also 1/2 T ghee & 1/2 T MCT in coffee

M2:  post-workout:  salmon cakes (2), homemade mayo, coconut milk in some more coffee

M3:  ground beef, broccoli, orange bell pepper, coconut aminos, coconut manna

M4:  canned chicken breast, spinach, homemade mayo, Frank's red hot sauce, garlic stuffed green olives, coconut manna

Deadlifts today, plus more... painting.  The gung-ho I started with is turning into more of a meh.  I am tired of having my house torn apart.

No nuts or seeds today.  The coconut manna was controlled.  A tablespoon with lunch and two tablespoons with dinner.

The thought of going out to eat and ordering whatever I want is getting more and more exciting.  I don't mean a bunch of junk -- I mean I am ready to be free of the rules of the Whole 30.

I was JUST thinking this yesterday! There's a grocery store nearby, and I often pop in from a walk or a bike ride to see if there's any meat markdowns, etc. Usually I just beeline to the 2 sections I'm scoping out. Yesterday I happened to take a different aisle, and it was cereal down one side, and fruit juice and other beverages down the other. I thought to myself, this entire aisle could just *disappear* from the store!

I was JUST thinking this yesterday! There's a "health food"  store nearby, and I often pop in from a ride to see if there's any meat markdowns, etc.    Usually I just beeline to the 2 sections I'm scoping out.   Yesterday I happened to take a different aisle, and it was cereal down one side, and fruit juice and other beverages down the other.   I thought to myself, this entire aisle could just *disappear* from the store!

People really are  Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs.   It doesn't matter if it's the health food store or the grocery store.

Remember when health food stores were kickin' it old school?   The minute you walked through the door, the fragrance of  "Brewer's" lol3.gif   nutritional yeast,    bee pollen,   wheat germ, arrowroot were the first wonderful essences to hit you in the face?    Then there were  herbs and spices.

Now, the aisles are all filled with Paleo SWYPO's.    Everywhere you look there are rows of gluten-free swapped-out versions of the real thing.   Sugars have replaced the gluten.   Sugary "nectars" are in every candy bar calling themselves a protein bar.   Don't forget the entire display of those  "sesame seed date cookies" with every kind of flavor.    Carrot cake, lemony goodness and more faux health folly cookies.

People are visiting.... I'm 80/20 or  I'm 90/10  Paleo.   5-1-5-0....Somebody call the Whole 30  POPO.    

The sugary treats and SWIPE-O'S  may be more upscale,  cost more and entice you....but these entire aisles could all disappear from the health food stores and we would have more money in our pockets to buy Whole 30 foods.

PMS is kicking in here, and I have to wonder how these hormonal fluctuations affect blood glucose.  Today I woke up at 96, and I really see no reason for it.  No nuts and seeds to blame.  No massive quantities of green beans, either.  No over-doing it on coconut.

Now let me first say that I am NOT one to blame everything on PMS.  If I am feeling particularly bitchy, I will go check my calendar and sometimes it's coming and sometimes it isn't.  Some months, that time of the month shows up and I had no signs -- just, bam!  And I'm like, cool.  (I wish I could figure out the magical formula for those months.)

But this is pretty obvious.  I don't feel like myself.  I don't feel all "hey, I want to stay keto forever" like I felt just a few short days ago.  I feel... sad.  And this is how I felt after 30 days of keto before, and why I decided at that point to have a Carb Nite... and it helped.  A lot.  It was literally like flipping a switch.  Sad ---> happy.

I am not looking for anyone to tell me what to do, I am just throwing out my observations in case anyone has seen similar stories in women.  You don't see a whole lot of keto women.  I didn't see many on Jimmy's site (which is now closed -- awesome), and the one out there who is quite vocal (Stephanie Person) drives. me. nuts.  I cannot stand to watch her youtube videos... any credible information she has goes completely down the drain because of her... being her, I guess.

I am going to soldier on...  But I won't lie, my heart is no longer in this.  I feel like I am doing everything "right" -- yet my blood sugar is up and my ketones are down.  I am almost sure this has to be hormonal.  If I were truly going to "listen to my body", it would involve some carbs.  Soon.

Archived