January 1st Start - Second Whole 30

reece1932

I made it through day 1 :-) No more food for the night. I was surprised by how many times I tried to rationalize a little "harmless" program cheat. 'Well, since I didn't actually sign up for my newsletter til today, my start date would line up better if I started tomorrow when my first installment arrives', 'I need a coffee fix. What's wrong with just a teeny, tiny half scoop of honey', etc... When I wanted those things, I really felt like to say no was to somehow miss out on "the good stuff", but I remember the good stuff from my last Whole 30 and it was better than this stuff that called my name today. I ate 2 fried eggs on broccoli and sweet potatoes for breakfast. Baked chicken, an apple and a handful of cashews (oops, just realized I forgot vegetables!) for lunch and chicken salad with homemade mayo on some more broccoli and sweet potatoes for dinner. Not bad for a first day. On to day 2...

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone!

I'm really excited to begin this journey with all of you. I've actually been doing a lot of research on Whole 30 and am mostly nervous of succumbing to snacking temptations. So I'm really excited to be on this forum with you all and get as much support and advice as I can!

All the Best! Here's to a healthy 2015

xx

Ana Liza

Good Morning!

Day 1 is in the books. So far, so good.

I did some shopping and cooking yesterday and have some more to do today. I work Sat-Tues, so I will be well-prepared for my work week. Work is my biggest challenge; the stress level is high and many foods that I want to avoid are readily available.

Last W30 (Aug 2012) I didn't subscribe to the daily email and my W30 was a success anyway. Between then and now, I've started and quit several times, so this time, I'm all in. Daily email, forums, W30 log, etc.

'm looking forward to the fellowship here and a healthy and happy 2015.

Staceyshelly, make sure you eat enough. I know a lot of people give up because they are hungry all the time. I also have 4 kids and a picky hubby, so I know how hard it is. My favorite trick is to make a compliant meat that we can all enjoy, and then 3 or 4 sides so everybody can have something to enjoy. Last night I baked some white fish (in butter for the family, ghee for me), then made fried white potatoes, green beans, and parsnip hash browns.

So glad to be back to eating this way again. I need the rules. They are my training wheels. When I take them off I crash.

Good morning everyone.  On to Day 2.  Glad everyone is on board.  

Staceyshelly - I agree with Dem about not eating enough.  There was a great post back in October about how many eggs a person should eat for a serving.  It even had a video.  I tried to locate it but alas.  The basic rule is how many you can fit in one hand.  For most people it seems to be 3-4.  I know it sounds like a lot but....  Also, it seems like breakfast had a great fat but no vegetables.  Have you seen the meal template?  My first whole 30, I didn't follow it that well in the beginning and noticed a better change when I did.

Gaitless - I hear you about the coffee.  The first time around, I found it surprisingly easy to give it up.  I continued to drink black coffee for another month before I slipped back into milk.  This time I around, I am trying a different tactic.  I should state that I am a coffee snob so I am not drinking cheaper brands.  I do grind my coffee every morning and use a french press.  However, I have switched to a lighter roast (Ethiopian Yirgacheffe) and am also using almond milk when I feel like it.  I did buy some that was just almonds and water which is HARD to find.  It was very expensive, though, so I am thinking of making it.

I managed to eat first thing this morning (3 eggs and chard with Harisa seasoning).  I didn't go to bed until late though (1:30 am).  As a night owl living in a day time world, I was really happy last time when I started getting tired at 9.  Looking forward to that again.

Emily

P.S. - Oh no, Javamoi.  That is a tragedy!

Staceyshelly - I agree with Dem about not eating enough.  There was a great post back in October about how many eggs a person should eat for a serving.  It even had a video.  I tried to locate it but alas.  The basic rule is how many you can fit in one hand.  For most people it seems to be 3-4.  I know it sounds like a lot but....  

Here you go: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/20964-what-a-serving-of-eggs-looks-like/

Hi everyone!  It's day 2! 

Is anyone interested in sharing what they plan on eating or did eat today?  I struggle with variety, as I am an absolute creature of habit. 

Today's meal plan looks like this:

Breakfast: coffee with coconut cream, 3 eggs, some sausage bits, half an avocado

Snack if I need it: lara bar at work and cut up veggies

Lunch:  lettuce, Best Chicken Ever (WF2), kalamata olives, tomatoes, homemade drsg, raspberries

Dinner: pork roast, sweet potato, and possibley ginger zucchini soup or green beans

I also drink Kombucha during the day or water or seltzer.  I really need to work on upping the water!

Have a good day all!

Michelle

Good morning! It's 9:30 and I just woke up. I'm behind and need to be out the door by 10 and feel like I don't have time to plan my day. So, I took opposite action and hopped on here to check in. (Hope you guys do great today!), drank my water, and will force myself to eat some eggs and frozen vegetables (I can microwave those really quick) before I leave. I'll run by the co-op for a kombucha (GT's original-not the black label), bottle of water, a piece of chicken and a zucchini I can eat while I'm out. Sometime today I need to make time to prep some food so this won't be so difficult. I'll be looking forward to hearing how it goes for you today! Rox

Hello Day Two, everyone. 

M1: two turkey sausage patties, one sweet potato

M2: beef stew over sauteed cabbage

S: raisins and pistachios

M3: will be meatloaf, mashed cauliflower, and salad

I, too, love seeing others' meal plans. 

I'm feeling pretty good - I went to bed with a mild headache last night and baby didn't help with sleeping :(  Cravings aren't too bad but I still have some non-compliant foods in the house that the kids are eating up and I have to remember not to eat them; they're just sort of sitting there. 

Mimahirn - is the Best Chicken worth it? I hesitate to make it; it seems like so many steps.

Rox - way to go on sticking with it despite a lack of plans. Good job. 

Hi 2nd whole 30 as well.  1st one was June 2013 and managed to eat mostly compliant until now, however I have let some sugar get back into my life (mostly on vacations and out in restaurants..) so I need to get back on track!

My 2 yrs old and Husband will be doing it with me too, so no non whole30 compliant food around home.  (Baby will be allowed to drink yogurt and some legumes)

Yesterday was good we had amazing fried eggs with yellow plantains and salmon for breakfast, lunch was my fav massaged kale salad with chicken and for dinner we has mashed yucca with ground meat.

Today's breakfast was scrambled eggs with onions and peppers, lunch yucca leftovers with roasted pumpkin and chicken leftovers for dinner I'll be cooking a sea bass with some cauliflower roasted rice.

Tomorrow will be cooking batched for next week, that's what really help me having compliant food prepared at all times.  

Good luck to all of you and happy to join again this healthy community!

Really helps to see what others are eating.  I commute into the city on the train and always struggle with what i can easily (::)) take with me for lunch.  That seems to be my weakest moment - lunch when everyone else is eating out and time is short.  I will need to plan well.  There are some decent choices in the city that will allow me to grab something out once in a while (chicago) but not a good habit and too tempting.

I have never joined a forum before and it does help to see that others are going through the same things!  good day everyone!

I'm on my second go-round as well - started 1/1. As happened with my first Whole30 last August, I didn't do any Day 0 stuff beyond making sure I had something to eat for breakfast. I was waiting for payday! $111 later, I feel pretty stocked - and stoked.  My August W30 was a dream. I had very few "side-effects" other than a couple grouchy days, and I felt amazing when it was done.  Why in the world did I fall off the food wagon?

LAZINESS. I share a kitchen, work long hours, and travel a lot for work, and all those things combined to make it really hard to stay in the Paleo mindset. I'm determined to stick with it this time. I'm hoping that a group of Round Two+ people will be less focused on Day 31 and more focused on sustaining this. (I loved my forum before! But they were REALLY focused on Day 31, and I wasn't.)

I did do a little prep work on Day One - spatchcocked a chicken, made some meat bone broth, browned ground beef, and replenished my ghee. 

I've done well on this Day Two. Scrambled eggs w/spinach and a sweet potato for breakfast, Whole Foods lunch bar for lunch (I love it, bc they lay out every ingredient in their dishes, so I can skip the surprising milk-containing foods), and tonight I'll either have leftover stew, or chicken again. With some veg on the side, idk what yet. And a banana.

Hi everyone!  It's day 2! 

Is anyone interested in sharing what they plan on eating or did eat today?  I struggle with variety, as I am an absolute creature of habit. 

[...]

Have a good day all!

Michelle

I found last time that eating the exact same meal for breakfast every day REALLY worked for me. That's the one time I don't want to have to think about what I'm eating, or I'll go for the easy Dunkin Donuts bagel/iced coffee combo. Bad ames. So I do scrambled eggs w/spinach and a sweet potato every morning, and I'm down with it.

Lunch is usually leftovers from earlier in the week. Dinner is where I have fun. :D Another thing I learned about myself last time was that although I generally hate leftovers, I don't seem to mind them on the W30. I don't know why - better quality food? Probably.

I'm starting my 2nd Whole30 on Sunday. I completed the first one in June. I did not do proper reintroductions as it was my birthday and we went on vacation right after. I have been trying to eat grain free.  Rice and corn seem to be okay, but anything with flour does a number on my gut :(  The main reason I am doing this again is the SUGAR! It has gotten so out of control. I've gained 10 pounds since June and I feel terrible.   I've been shopping and prepping and I'm soooo ready to feel good again!!

Hello Day Two, everyone. 

M1: two turkey sausage patties, one sweet potato

M2: beef stew over sauteed cabbage

S: raisins and pistachios

M3: will be meatloaf, mashed cauliflower, and salad

I, too, love seeing others' meal plans. 

I'm feeling pretty good - I went to bed with a mild headache last night and baby didn't help with sleeping :(  Cravings aren't too bad but I still have some non-compliant foods in the house that the kids are eating up and I have to remember not to eat them; they're just sort of sitting there. 

Mimahirn - is the Best Chicken worth it? I hesitate to make it; it seems like so many steps.

Rox - way to go on sticking with it despite a lack of plans. Good job. 

Hi!  the Best Chicken is great.  It is a lot of steps, and I always forget about the brining time, but it's tasty, fun, and gives chicken a different flavor that what I can usually do without a recipe.  I am a WF cookbook junkie, so I do like this one!

I found last time that eating the exact same meal for breakfast every day REALLY worked for me. That's the one time I don't want to have to think about what I'm eating, or I'll go for the easy Dunkin Donuts bagel/iced coffee combo. Bad ames. So I do scrambled eggs w/spinach and a sweet potato every morning, and I'm down with it.

Lunch is usually leftovers from earlier in the week. Dinner is where I have fun. :D Another thing I learned about myself last time was that although I generally hate leftovers, I don't seem to mind them on the W30. I don't know why - better quality food? Probably.

Thanks for the input!  I too hate leftovers, but tend to hoard and cherish them on W30.  I think it's because I put so much time and effort into prepping the food I don't want to miss a bite!

the-ames -- I see what you mean about the focus on Day 31. I definitely felt that way the first go-round. I'm actually going for a Whole100 because I could have benefited from a longer time during my first go round. I would like to continue eating strict paleo as a lifestyle way of eating and I'm hoping this program will help me set that habit. 

Karyn

I'm hoping that a group of Round Two+ people will be less focused on Day 31 and more focused on sustaining this. (I loved my forum before! But they were REALLY focused on Day 31, and I wasn't.).

Absolutely!

M1: 3 fried eggs with bacon and spinach. Should have eaten some sweet potato, because by 10 I was really shaky. I ate a grapefruit and some almonds then. Not the best choice, I know!

M2: paleo pad Thai

M3: baked sweet potato, cauliflower rice, slow cooked round steak, salsa, 1/2 avocado.

Also had two or three cups of coffee with coconut milk.

Getting back into the groove. Finally made some hard boiled eggs. Planning to do some oven-cooked ribs tomorrow. They take all day and help keep the house warm!

So, how do you guys reply to individual posts (they come up in tan boxes, but I am forum challenged and don't know how to do it! Separately, sounds like today's been a pretty good day. My family is having a VERY non-compliant meal this evening so I think I might take the opportunity to go grocery shopping. I made a quiche with 6 eggs, collard greens and some bacon today. Not many ingredients, but tasted good and nice for a quick "go to" breakfast for the next couple of days. @reece- thanks for the breakfast suggestions!

For lunch, I browned ground beef, threw in some broccoli and sweet potato and dropped it on a bed of lettuce and avocado with Frank's hot sauce. It wasn't fancy, but it was very satisfying.

A few things I love:

Blue Lotus Rooibos Masala Chai (comes in a tin with a cute little bamboo scoop). Spendy but lasts SO LONG. It tastes great by itself or with coconut milk added.

My favorite coconut milk comes in little 4 ounce boxes. I think it's called Arroj-o.

The chicken finger recipe from www.generationyfoodie.com

The best chicken ever recipe from theclothesmakethegirl

Nomnompaleo app for my ipad

@dem- would you share your ribs recipe?

So, how do you guys reply to individual posts (they come up in tan boxes, but I am forum challenged and don't know how to do it!

Click on Quote in the lower right to reply to a specific post. You can then edit the quoted post (like I did with yours) to include the pieces to which you're responding. Quoting notifies the person that someone commented on their post.

This will be my first whole 30 and am so glad to be doing it.  I have done Paleo before and have slipped sideways...and lets not talk about the holidays.  I am starting tomorrow as I have already downed the last piece of Christmas candy.  I know that I cannot consume dairy or wheat, so the rest of the grains should be no problem.  Its just...the freaking sugar!  Tomorrow is pantry cleaning day.  Glad to have some suppport!

Archived