January 1st Start - Second Whole 30

reece1932

Hello all.

Day 4 is in the record books as a success. It was another work day for me, and very early at that.

I ate Meal 1 at my desk--(which I know isn't ideal, but I do focus on the food and not work. I eat while several reports are printing)--homemade breakfast sausage patties, several celery sticks with almond butter, bell pepper strips, cherry tomatoes, and half an apple

Meal 2 was turkey slices and a big salad with homemade dressing

Meal 3 -- I tried a recipe for Paleo Chicken Fingers. It was good, but not especially crispy. Leftover roasted Brussels sprouts, assorted salad vegetables and olives.

I keep several containers filled with salad vegetables all cleaned and prepped and it makes it easy to throw together a meal. We both like tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, radishes, avocado,  etc, and they keep well.

I had some urges for sweets today, but no real cravings. No particular food was calling me. I did have some food dreams last night....about candy bars that I don't especially like. I didn't eat any of it in my dream and I didn't feel guilty when I woke up.

It's almost bedtime. See y'all tomorrow.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So sorry for the accident Rox!  Glad everyone is fine though.  This is a great group - so good to hear how everyone is doing.  I think it is really helping me to stay on track. I have found my favorite whole30 treat - frozen cherries (tart mixed with sweet).  No sugar -just frozen cherries.  So yummy and feels like a treat.  Making serious progress when frozen cherries makes me so happy compared to chocoloate cake:) that i seriously love.

Have a good night everyone - good luck for Monday!

Hi Jan 1's!  I'm thinking staying engaged in this group string w/you all who are on the same day will be helpful for me.  This is my second w30.  First one was a couple years ago and then I tried and quit two other times.  So, on Day 4 I'm feeling pretty good about sticking with it through the worst sugar withdrawals.  It's a little easier this time for some reason.  I am celiac, lactose intolerant, don't drink caffeine and don't do artificial sweeteners or eat legumes so a large part of the program is easy for me since so many things already had to be eliminated for a variety of uncomfortable reasons ;)     That said - SUGAR!!!  and Tostito's.  But mostly just candy.  i absolutely love it.  So, here we go.  I'm breaking up with you Sugar Daddy.  And I ain't comin' back once Reintroduction hits because I know I can't resist.    

Today:

M1  Italian sausage stuffed roasted red pepper and some almonds  

M2  Roasted cauliflower hummus and watermelon radishes,  blueberries

M3  Sweet potato, roast chicken, zucchini w/a lil coconut oil  (a lil coconut oil on my sweet potato too - super delish!)

S    cucumber slices that were marinated in fresh lemon juice (1 lemon), 2T olive oil, salt/pepper, Chili Powder and some almonds.  you can add more cukes when you've eaten the marinated ones as the marinade is very watery and doesn't stick to the cukes so it's not a calorie killer by any means.

Recipes:

http://paleopot.com/2012/10/paleo-sausage-stuffed-peppers/

http://www.livinpaleocuisine.com/blog/2013/02/05/paleo-hummus

Let's kill it on Day 5 - it's back to work for me so that requires a different level of planning :(

Wow I had a crazy day. I attended my friend's home birth in the middle of the night, so no sleep. She lives two hours away so I packed food for myself at 12:30 am! M1 was 3 hb eggs, coffee with coconut milk, sweet potato with salsa. That was after the baby was born. Left a couple hours later and went grocery shopping. Ate some almond flour crusted chicken and bought myself a larabar because I was afraid of falling asleep on the road. Also got an Americano and added my own coconut milk. Came home about 1 and finally crashed for 3 hours with the toddlers. Woke up at 5 very disoriented and made the family a frozen pizza. I munched on crudités and leftover paleo pad Thai, but it wasn't enough. Hoping to get toddler girl asleep soon and find something to eat. I am so proud of myself for sticking to it because I was so tempted to eat candy and ice cream bc I was so tired. That would have just made me feel worse though. Glad today is almost over so I can get some sleep!

Good morning everyone!

I feel amazing this morning!  I think it's a combo of sugar detox and my little one sleeping through the night last night!  I had a good workout this morning too.  (I do P90X3 with a friend.)

Today's food is planned to be:

1:  sausage scramble, cafe au lait

2:  Lara bar

3:  berries, apple, leftover Shepherd's pie with extra veggies

4:  Creamy Italian Chicken soup (which was an amazing pinterest recipe find!  So cheap, so easy, so awesome!), maybe some cauli rice. 

I need to get my veggies all prepped and chopped tonight.  Will also make some more Kombucha.  It hasn't been turning out really well for me lately so if anyone has a recipe that they love, I'd be glad if you shared it.

HAGD!

Michelle

This morning, though, I'm not feeling hungry *at all*. I had to force down 2 fried eggs and 1/4 avocado, and I'm feeling sick to my stomach from just that. I know a lot of people in the Paleo community are proponents of intermittent fasting... Should I listen to my body here if it doesn't want to eat, or for W30, should I be forcing food down, even if it makes me feel sick?

I get that way on the W30 as well - just not hungry in the mornings. This morning, as a matter of fact. I decided to stretch out my breakfast, under the rationale that I need the protein anyway, and it made it easier. I did 2C of zucchini soup (omgyum, highly recommend, I make this all the time), a bowl of bananas, cashews, and coconut chips, and two hard boiled eggs that were in the fridge. I really benefited from having food ready to go.  The soup was fine, egg 2 was grudgingly eaten in the car, and I had the banana etc at around 10am. Now, I feel fine - not stuffed, not hungry, just nice and even.

So I don't know the answer to this!  I feel like we should eat at least something in the morning, but I didn't enjoy the eggs at all, and I usually love hard boiled eggs. Anyone else got ideas?

I survived the lunch with friends at the Irish pub! Steak and eggs and it worked. I had veggies for breakfast, and chicken pad thai from Well Fed for dinner, which was mostly pad thai and very little chicken. I finally got that Sunshine Sauce straightened out! (I like this dish, but I'm going to stop calling it pad thai and call it Sunshine Squash or something like that. I don't think it tastes anything like the tangy pad thai I love. But it is yummy on its own.)

Today was a rough start, like I said above. I'm blaming my late night instead of the W30, as now that I'm up and moving around, I'm feeling perkier. And food in my belly doesn't hurt. Being well prepped was a lifesaver this morning. I was able to throw together a bunch of random stuff for a portable breakfast, and lunch will be leftover Sunshine Squash and some ground beef/onion. I know that sounds kind of gross, but there's a ton of veggies in the squash, and even pre-W30, a bowl of ground beef with onion, ketchup, and worcestershire sauce is a long-standing favorite. No ketchup or sauce this time, but it's been seasoned, so it will get me through.

Happy Day 5, fellow W30ers! 

Good morning! I really appreciated the kind replies yesterday. It's funny, but I was thinking about it this morning and really, what I was looking for from the chocolate after the accident was comfort and acknowledgement that I'd had a little hard time. Silly to expect that from a candy bar, but emotions aren't always reasonable! But when I read through the posts, you guys kind of gave me that! And it's great because I like you better and you don't make me fat and miserable! On a separate note... Deb-sounds like you kind of kicked yesterday's butt! That was a ridiculous schedule and you made good choice after good choice. Impressive :-) @the-Ames -glad you breezed through your pub lunch!

Lots of talk about breakfast... That can be a rough one for me too. Lots of times I am just not hungry. And if I drink coffee first (which I almost always do) forget about it! It takes me an hour and a half to two hours after I get up to be able to eat real food. If it was a donut or pancakes, I could totally do it. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe because refined carbs bypass my hungry/not hungry meter. I can eat them either way!

Happy Monday, folks!

Lots of talk about breakfast... That can be a rough one for me too. Lots of times I am just not hungry. And if I drink coffee first (which I almost always do) forget about it! It takes me an hour and a half to two hours after I get up to be able to eat real food. 

Yes, caffeine can act as an appetite suppressant. For this reason, we recommend having your 1st coffee of the day *after* you have your meal 1.  Start with a mini-meal of protein, veg and fat if that's all you feel you can eat to jump-start your day.

Oie... I spoke too soon about not getting the crazy side effects I experienced the first time around. Day 5, and I had a really difficult time waking up (despite 8.5 hrs sleep) and I woke up with a blazing headache / brain fog that is following me throughout the day -- like a hangover, but I obviously didn't drink last night! 

Nausea has subsided somewhat, but still don't have a huge appetite -- 2 scrambled eggs & 1/4 sweet potato for breakfast. It's 1:30, and I still haven't been hungry for lunch, but think I'm going to force myself to eat anyway. 

Hang in there, folks -- this stage will pass soon. So glad to have you all as support for keeping going! (The dark chocolate is still calling to me, everywhere I go...)

Michelle, would you mind sharing the link for the Italian chicken soup?

Rox, I also love the support from the forum, much better than a candy bar!

Reece, how are you dining?

I felt horrible all morning, so tired! I think it was the combo of the missed night of sleep plus the regular whole30 side effects at this point.

M1: 3 fried eggs, 3 PC bacon, little bit of sweet potato, cauliflower rice, avocado, coffee with coconut milk

Snack: cashews and coffee with coconut milk

M2: this amazing Artichoke Lemon Pesto Chicken from Paleomg: http://paleomg.com/artichoke-lemon-pesto-chicken-pasta/. Love it. Ate with black olives for extra fat. Contemplating another cup of coffee.

M3: not sure yet, maybe meatza or stuffed peppers. Something with ground beef anyway, and I still have cauliflower rice to finish.

Edited to add: my dd showed me a picture of an exercise machine and said she wanted to get me one because I am fat. I asked her why she thinks I'm fat and she said I'm too fat for her to hug. Ouch!

Wow I had a crazy day. I attended my friend's home birth in the middle of the night, so no sleep. She lives two hours away so I packed food for myself at 12:30 am! M1 was 3 hb eggs, coffee with coconut milk, sweet potato with salsa. That was after the baby was born. Left a couple hours later and went grocery shopping. Ate some almond flour crusted chicken and bought myself a larabar because I was afraid of falling asleep on the road. Also got an Americano and added my own coconut milk. Came home about 1 and finally crashed for 3 hours with the toddlers. Woke up at 5 very disoriented and made the family a frozen pizza. I munched on crudités and leftover paleo pad Thai, but it wasn't enough. Hoping to get toddler girl asleep soon and find something to eat. I am so proud of myself for sticking to it because I was so tempted to eat candy and ice cream bc I was so tired. That would have just made me feel worse though. Glad today is almost over so I can get some sleep!

Wow is right?!  Good for you cuz that was a major accomplishment to make it through the evening you had - inspiring!

woohoo day 5! I've had a cold thats left me with a raunchy sore throat and my daughter insists I should just have some hot tea with raw honey to help but no way, this is my 3rd or 4th attempt at my 2nd round of W30 and this ones gonna stick! 

Rogan Josh from Well Fed cookbook was a massive hit for dinner last night and big cheers for leftovers tonight too! crazy! 

right now i'm not craving much of anything I shouldn't have but mentally my mind is telling me "you're doing great! you deserve a treat!"

i AM eating quite a bit of fruit though :/ which is a negative

but i'm drinking a ton of water consistently which is a positive

at dinner tonight my kids' eyes were glazing over as they went on about all of the food they saw in their friends pantry recently,

"Mom, they had cereal and pop tarts and MOON PIES!!!!" lol. its a hard knock life. 

Michelle, would you mind sharing the link for the Italian chicken soup?

Rox, I also love the support from the forum, much better than a candy bar!

Reece, how are you dining?

I felt horrible all morning, so tired! I think it was the combo of the missed night of sleep plus the regular whole30 side effects at this point.

M1: 3 fried eggs, 3 PC bacon, little bit of sweet potato, cauliflower rice, avocado, coffee with coconut milk

Snack: cashews and coffee with coconut milk

M2: this amazing Artichoke Lemon Pesto Chicken from Paleomg: http://paleomg.com/artichoke-lemon-pesto-chicken-pasta/. Love it. Ate with black olives for extra fat. Contemplating another cup of coffee.

M3: not sure yet, maybe meatza or stuffed peppers. Something with ground beef anyway, and I still have cauliflower rice to finish.

Edited to add: my dd showed me a picture of an exercise machine and said she wanted to get me one because I am fat. I asked her why she thinks I'm fat and she said I'm too fat for her to hug. Ouch!

Oh no! Poor DD didn't know what she was saying, I'm sure of it! My 7 year old has told me that he likes how squishy I was after I had my third son. He thought I was more cuddley!

I'm glad to share my creamy chicken Italian soup recipe, I vary it depending on what's in the pantry, but here it is:

1 lb boneless chicken parts (breast, tenders, thighs), 15oz can of tomato sauce, little can of tomato paste, can of full fat coconut milk, tsp or two of Italian seasoning, 2 cloves garlic minced, salt and pepper. Throw all in the crock pot on low for 7 hours or so, shred the chicken if it needs shredding, and then enjoy! It's so good and filling. It's like a warm creamy pasta dish. I'm sure you could add onion, peppers, basil, zoodles, etc. it's cheap, easy, and wholesome. Hope you guys like it too!

woohoo day 5! I've had a cold thats left me with a raunchy sore throat and my daughter insists I should just have some hot tea with raw honey to help but no way, this is my 3rd or 4th attempt at my 2nd round of W30 and this ones gonna stick! 

Rogan Josh from Well Fed cookbook was a massive hit for dinner last night and big cheers for leftovers tonight too! crazy! 

right now i'm not craving much of anything I shouldn't have but mentally my mind is telling me "you're doing great! you deserve a treat!"

i AM eating quite a bit of fruit though :/ which is a negative

but i'm drinking a ton of water consistently which is a positive

at dinner tonight my kids' eyes were glazing over as they went on about all of the food they saw in their friends pantry recently,

"Mom, they had cereal and pop tarts and MOON PIES!!!!" lol. its a hard knock life.

Lol! Not Moonpies!

Day 5 and I had hard time sleeping last night. I also struggle with not wanting to eat but nausea is subsiding... Also wanted to reach thru the phone and strangle the bank rep!! Didn't control myself very well but I was able to turnit around with the help of my DIL... Not feeling very hungry but will attempt a small dinner. Don't want to wake up in the middle of the night and eat evrythihng in site!

Munchies are starting to subside... Maybe I will make it thru thie whole 30 after all.

Hi Dem.  I'm alright.  Thanks for asking.  Today was pretty good and managed to take time at work to properly eat and go to the gym for a few minutes.  Getting off the metro, I had a sudden desire to just go to one of the restaurants rather than an evening of cooking and dishes.  I walked home and made the Mongolian Beef I had planned.  I liked the sauce but I either need to learn to cook beef better or I just have to buy only the fancy cuts.  Perhaps I’ll make it again with shrimp.  

Day 5 and I had hard time sleeping last night. I also struggle with not wanting to eat but nausea is subsiding... Also wanted to reach thru the phone and strangle the bank rep!! Didn't control myself very well but I was able to turnit around with the help of my DIL... Not feeling very hungry but will attempt a small dinner. Don't want to wake up in the middle of the night and eat evrythihng in site!

Munchies are starting to subside... Maybe I will make it thru thie whole 30 after all.

This sounds familiar.  I had a hard time falling asleep last night, although it was largely because I had started staying up later and sleeping in over the break.  I do remember getting quite annoyed with people for a time on my first Whole 30.  I felt a tinge of that today (and only on day two)

Lol! Not Moonpies!

lol, we haven't had cereal in the house in years (they get so excited about it when they go to grandmas house!) and we have NEVER had moonpies! My girls said they've had them before, they told me "They aren't that good-but still!"

I got some good food ideas from today's posts. I picked up supplies for sunshine sauce and will make tomorrow. Tonight is my 22 year old's choice for dinner. She comes every Monday. I'm making her homemade bread and it felt good making it. I don't feel tempted. I baked spaghetti squash for me, pasta for the fam and the artichoke pesto from the recipe dem shared earlier to put on both. Hopefully, everybody wins. I'm the only one in the fam doing the whole 30. I have a vegetarian, a type 1 diabetic, a 14 year old boy and a Texan to feed. Wish they'd jump on board, but so far no way. At M1, I ate banana, cashews and coconut butter and it kicked up my sugar craving a bit. I like that for breakfast but it may not be my best choice. Also, are you sure bacon and eggs aren't going to give me a heart attack?! I still can't believe I can eat egg yolks and bacon and not clog my arteries. I ate them both today and loved them! I'm just wondering :)

Thanks and yay to us for another day winding down!

Hi Dem.  I'm alright.  Thanks for asking.  Today was pretty good and managed to take time at work to properly eat and go to the gym for a few minutes.  Getting off the metro, I had a sudden desire to just go to one of the restaurants rather than an evening of cooking and dishes.  I walked home and made the Mongolian Beef I had planned.  I liked the sauce but I either need to learn to cook beef better or I just have to buy only the fancy cuts.  Perhaps I’ll make it again with shrimp.  [/size]

Reece- I don't know if you get your meat delivered. There is a farm in Maryland that has grass-Fed,hormone and antibiotic free meat, chicken, dairy that delivers. Also sugar-free bacon!

I started Jan 1st also. This is my first W30. Is anyone/has anyone experiencing digestive issues - cramps, uncomfortable bowels? I've been strict and have overcome the hungries but in the last 3 days have had an upset stomach. Thoughts?

Hello!  I have had stomach issues this go round.  Days 3 and 4.  I'm all better now... just needed to let my stomach have time to adjust.  Welcome to our little group!

Michelle

I started Jan 1st also. This is my first W30. Is anyone/has anyone experiencing digestive issues - cramps, uncomfortable bowels? I've been strict and have overcome the hungries but in the last 3 days have had an upset stomach. Thoughts?

Nice! Yep, I had it with both mine. For me, the "issues" resolved themselves within the first week. I figured it was just part of the detox and I tried to stay on top of my water intake and added compliant kombucha. I read it's good for digestion. Congrats on your first whole 30! I didn't realize til I had finished mine what a difference it would make in the way I relate to food. It's totally worth 30 days of doing exactly what Melissa says! Good luck to you!!

:) Morning everyone!

This is day 6, isn't it?  I'm still feeling good!  A bit sleepy this morning, and I was a little too hungry before bed last night, so I snacked on some compliant meat sticks and some pistahcios. 

Today's plan is as follows:

1: sausage, avocado, egg scramble, coffee

2: Lara bar

3: leftover Shepherd's pie w/ veggies, apple, raspberries

4: Cinnamon Beef Stew w/ roasted cauliflower (WF recipe)

I had my usual morning workout this morning and had zero energy.  I think I remember this from last time, that dragging no-carb-not-yet-fat-burning feeling.  Hope it's better by tomorrow, have a tough workout planned tomorrow. 

Have a really really good day guys!

Oh, and I thought maybe we could share what our main goal is for doing the W30 this time around... For me, it's to stop feeling out of control with sugar/carbs.  Slay the sugar beast! :angry:  :D

Archived