January 1st Start - Second Whole 30

reece1932

You never told us what you do for work.  I have friends living and working in Uganda and Jordan.  I also travel oversees for work.

I am a Health Technical Advisor for an international humanitarian organization. I get to travel to fun places like South Sudan, eastern Congo, Liberia, etc. What do you do?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How's everyone doing? It's gotten very quiet in here...I know we're on the downward slide now, but I'm strangely feeling some of my cravings from the early days creep back in. Bought a cupcake for a friend last night and I was inhaling the scent and drooling over it. I don't know if I actually want *that food*, or if I'm just tired of having to be so vigilant about *everything* all of the time. It's exhausting -- all the cooking, label checking, restaurant questions, etc.

One thing I find is not good for me about Whole30 is the "striving for perfection" aspect of it. I know I've intentionally or unintentionally made a few slip-ups here and there, but I've always made the best food decisions I can in a given situation. For example, this weekend, I went to my teeny tiny hometown where you get looked at sideways for asking for things "gluten free"... I met an old mentor of mine for lunch, and had to have a 10-min conversation with the waiter to figure out that there was one sandwich they could put on some lettuce instead of the bread for me to eat. I'm pretty sure the turkey had carrageenen in it and the bacon was noncompliant, but I figured it was better to eat *something* than to go hungry. I'm not going to start over for it -- psychologically, it's just too distressing for me to beat myself up over small things like that.

My goals are about changing my eating habits and killing the sugar demon (obviously, still a work in progress). Eating 3 well-rounded meals based on the meal template has eliminated my snacking and need for a nighttime wine/chocolate nightcap. To me, that is more important than worrying about whether I need to start over b/c the turkey I ate may or may not have been adulterated.

How is everyone else doing?

I've been very busy with work and it's quite stressful.

Thank goodness for W30! I don't have to fight with myself over whether I deserve that blueberry muffin. My decisions are already made.

That may be a strange way of looking at things, but that's how I roll. If I were a week past W30, I might be telling a different story. Like last time. Actually, I surprise myself this time with how "easy" it seems. I started a second W30 several times since my first success, but each time I caved in to something.

This time, I plan on making it stick. We have been eating basically Paleo at home, anyway. Now I'm strictly W30, with 10 days to go. I'm doing it.

Hi all! I've cheated!!!! weighted myself ooops... but is all new goods :P

I think for us doing this for the second time is more about remembering how to eat and how feels this makes us feel. I've found this time was easier and killed the sugar dragon faster. we are 8 days away and I'm already feeling fantastic!   Something that helped me a lot last time and this one was focusing in other lifestyle changes, that way I don't focus so much on food....Made a list of things I wanted to accomplish and have been working on it, my mind is not wondering all day what's for dinner.. that helps :P  Last time I got me a dehydrator and a nice ice cream maker (I know.. is not w30) but was my prize for finishing! This time I got me the Vitamix and a nice Slow cooker / pressures cooker and 5 more things in one.   See? I don't need to reward my self with the sugary cookies I used to love... I can make healthy treats next month... mmm.. craving some dehydrated zucchini chips or kale chips yummeee   Good luck to all we are almost there!

I am a Health Technical Advisor for an international humanitarian organization. I get to travel to fun places like South Sudan, eastern Congo, Liberia, etc. What do you do?

Any chance it is World Relief? My friend Courtney is Savings For Life Technical Advisor for them, currently living in Rwanda.  I am the Director Of Compassion Ministry for a non-denominational church.  I oversee our partnerships with local and international outreach so I spend a fair amount of time in Haiti and India checking on projects all being done through the indigenous communities (micro loans, feeding program, freshwater wells).  I looooove my job! :)

Let's have a success story, shall we?

Although our W30 doesn't end until tomorrow, my doctor's appointment for my annual physical was today, so off I went. Three years ago, when I started with this doctor, I was in terrible shape. My blood pressure was 200something/100something, I was easily 80lbs overweight, my cholesterol was off the chart, my triglycerides were over 200, and Dr E was surprised that I hadn't had a heart attack yet - and I wasn't even 40 years old. He put me on mega high blood pressure meds, mega cholesterol meds, and gently and caringly fussed at me about fixing myself.

Today: 

BP 112/80

Tryglicerides 86

LDL (the bad cholesterol) 117 - still a little high, but way down from where it was

HDL (the good chol) 54, up from 32, so yay

My EKG is that of a healthy 18 year old

And let's pretend that this is tomorrow because again, doctor's appointment - I'm down 16 pounds.

And this is all from doing a W30 in August, slowly reverting back to my SAD over the next few months, then joining you lovely people for this month and my 2nd W30. And I'm still the laziest person on the planet, so this is entirely attributable to the change in my diet.  Dr E said to keep on with what I'm doing, and in six months we may be reducing my BP meds, and after that, taking me off them altogether.

Can we say incentive to stick with the Paleo diet going forward? 

Hey The-ames! Good Job! your doctor must be so proud! and you too! wow.. really good!

Congratulations to all that have finish this Whole30.  Too bad people lost interest on the forum :(

I'm joining another one since I plan to continue for a little bit more before I go on Vacation to Honduras and then Dominican Republic.. that will be a forced reintroduction to everything!  

I will not be weighting myself tomorrow as I already did a week ago.  And all the other effects are obvious so Ill keep on track. Sleeping good, awesome energy, acne improved clothes feels loose, and stopped playing Candy Crushed that was my goal I was addicted to sugar there as well :P 

Good luck to all!

Let's have a success story, shall we?

Although our W30 doesn't end until tomorrow, my doctor's appointment for my annual physical was today, so off I went. Three years ago, when I started with this doctor, I was in terrible shape. My blood pressure was 200something/100something, I was easily 80lbs overweight, my cholesterol was off the chart, my triglycerides were over 200, and Dr E was surprised that I hadn't had a heart attack yet - and I wasn't even 40 years old. He put me on mega high blood pressure meds, mega cholesterol meds, and gently and caringly fussed at me about fixing myself.

Today: 

BP 112/80

Tryglicerides 86

LDL (the bad cholesterol) 117 - still a little high, but way down from where it was

HDL (the good chol) 54, up from 32, so yay

My EKG is that of a healthy 18 year old

And let's pretend that this is tomorrow because again, doctor's appointment - I'm down 16 pounds.

And this is all from doing a W30 in August, slowly reverting back to my SAD over the next few months, then joining you lovely people for this month and my 2nd W30. And I'm still the laziest person on the planet, so this is entirely attributable to the change in my diet.  Dr E said to keep on with what I'm doing, and in six months we may be reducing my BP meds, and after that, taking me off them altogether.

Can we say incentive to stick with the Paleo diet going forward? 

Amazing success story!  Please post this in the Success Stories section as well. 

Archived