Shelley's Whole 30 Log

Shelley

I have had an overindulgent holiday and am ready to give my body a kickstart!! I'm creating this log tonight as a first step in my 3rd Whole 30 journey! It's been a while and I'm so looking forward to it! I bought heaps of groceries today and will spend the day tomorrow cooking some fabulous Whole 30 food in preparation for the first few days. Day 1 will be January 2! 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Shelley,

I'm a third-timer too!  (day 6 today)  Have fun with it!  Each time I do it, it gets a little easier.  Although, what was I thinking doing this over New Years Eve?!?  Haha! 

What are you planning to prepare tomorrow?

Ann

Hi Ann! 

Thanks for your reply! I'm hoping it will be easier this time around! I'm feeling quite determined so fingers crossed!

Yes, you are brave to start this before New Year's. How did it go tonight? 

I'm going to make Shepherd's Pie tomorrow from The Clothes Make the Girl, an egg loaf and a pork roast (don't really have a recipe for this, but will find one tomorrow). My grocery store didn't have bones today to make a bone broth so I'm not sure what I'll do about that, as I need it for the Shepherd's Pie. I also bought some salmon which I'll bake or make into salmon patties and make some meatballs. Hopefully that will get me off to a good start with some side veggie dishes. 

Do you have any tried and true recipes that you love? :)

Happy New Year! 

Oooh, I'm going to have to try the Shepherd's Pie, sounds yummy!  And sounds like it makes good leftovers!  Funny thing, I tried to buy beef bones at New Seasons on Monday, and they were out.  Maybe there's a run on bones for people starting W30??  Hah!!

Tried and true recipes ... I don't do a huge amount of making big elaborate recipes, but I do like to have condiments around.  That way I can make something very simple, and add a condiment and make it delicious.  But, here's some of the things I like to make (or have made at least once and turned out awesome):

• Chocolate Chili (from Well Fed)  One of my staples. 
  • Homemade mayo (add all kinds of things to it, like chipotle, lime, wasabi, garlic, herbs, horseradish ... and I know there are recipes out there for ranch dressing ...)
  • Ghee - I always make ghee.  I like to top veggies, squash, sweet potatoes with it.  Or cook anything in it.  Or make Bulletproof Coffee!!
  • Sweet potatoes - I like to shred a big potato and keep a bag of it in the fridge.  Quick and easy side dish - add an egg to it, and some seasoning, and throw it in the skillet for a quick fritter.
  • Chicken salad.  Make with your homemade mayo, and add apples, almonds, celery.  Yum!
  • Coconut almond green beans (from Well Fed)
  • Store bought quickies - Whole Foods has a "naked chicken" (whole roasted chicken with no baddies), and Whole Foods and New Seasons both carry a deli roast beef that is compliant.  The roast beef is great for anything - grab and go snack, chop up on top of salad, protein at any meal. 

Haha! There's a bone shortage! 

I heard so many people in the past rave about the Chocolate Chili - I think I'm going to have to give it a try this time. 

I make homemade mayo all the time and put it on everything - it's my kryptonite. :) How do you make ghee? I bought some once but haven't been able to find it again. I wouldn't mind making my own. 

Coconut almond green beans sound good. I need some good veggie recipes. I don't tend to eat enough of them. 

I live in Canada and I don't believe we have New Seasons and unfortunately, there isn't a Whole Foods in my city. But we do have a couple of good health food stores or markets, so I will have a look for anything that will make things easier. 

Thanks, Ann!  

P.S. I noticed we share the same birthday - May the fourth be with you! Lol

I had a very naughty NYE and am more than ready to get started with this Whole 30. I have been preparing today by making a few dishes to get me started. Supreme Egg Loaf from Free Range, Easy Oven-Baked Meatballs from Stupid Easy Paleo and Baked Salmon Fillets. I didn't get as much done as I wanted but will carry on tomorrow once I can get to the grocery store for some missing ingredients. 

post-4434-0-45372800-1420146524_thumb.jp

Oh my gosh, Shelley - that is so funny/weird that we share a birthday! 

If you Google "how to make ghee" (especially videos), you can get a good idea of how to make it, and I think there are a couple of ways.  The way I do it, I take a pound of unsalted butter (preferably grass fed, like Kerrygold), melt it in a sauce pan, and let it simmer. After a while, a froth builds on top.  After there's a good froth there, I scoop it off with a spoon.  Then another smaller froth forms, and I scoop that off too.  And keep sort of scooping away until it is clear and mostly stops bubbling.  There will be bits on the bottom.  When the ghee is clear and the bits on bottom start to brown, pour it into a mason jar, being careful to not pour any bits in with it.   

I have read that you can make it by ignoring the froth -- it will eventually cook itself into solids and sink to the bottom, and once it is clear and not longer bringing foam to the top (and pretty much stops bubbling), it is done, and then you strain it through a cheesecloth to remove all the milk solids at the bottom.  I haven't tried this method, because the way I do it seems to work for me. 

Day 1 is here! I'm very excited to get started. I took my measurements this morning, weighed myself and took photos. I didn't do this at the start of my previous Whole 30s, so I'm looking forward to seeing the results. I will share these at the end (maybe not the photos). I've gained about 5 lbs over the holidays and much more over the past few months while dealing with the end of a relationship. Most of this was in the form of wine (self-medication at its worst!) which I am happy to be giving up for (at least) 30 days.

I am a full-time single parent, a full-time PhD student, a Research Assistant, an occasional supply teacher and tutor, so life is very busy. One of the keys to my success will be planning and preparing meals ahead of time, and I need to make sure I stay on top of this. My primary goal is to get myself back into a good place both physically and mentally, and be the best version of myself that I can be, for both me and my son. On Monday, once I get through the first 3 or 4 days of my Whole 30, I intend to get back to my hot yoga practice and the following week, back to training at the gym. 

I will post my food later today! Stay tuned! :)

Day 1

Here is what I ate today:

Pre-breakfast: I always start my day with 500 ml of water with half a lemon

Breakfast: Egg loaf and sweet potato with homemade mayo

Lunch: Meatballs with sauteed vegetables

Dinner: Pan-fried chicken(again with homemade mayo) and roasted asparagus

Water: 2L

I will have a Tazo Wild Sweet Orange tea before bed. Around 4 pm I felt like I could have a nap and am pretty sleepy right now. Otherwise, I feel ok. I'm sure I'll be feeling the effects of caffeine withdrawal tomorrow. Not looking forward to the next 2 or 3 days, but I know it will pass. 

post-4434-0-82965300-1420247052_thumb.jp

Oh, that is one thing maybe that has improved for me in the last two days -- I had small headaches on days 4-6, which I'm sure were caffeine withdrawal.  No headaches on days 7-8!  (of course, I had one cup of coffee on both of those days... but it's not three cups at least!)

I love the idea of starting your day with water and half a lemon - I may have to try that.  My weekday mornings are so rushed with getting the right foods/liquids in, but I think I can adapt things to get it in.  Thanks for the idea!

Day 2

Pre-breakfast: 500 ml of water with half a lemon

Breakfast: Egg loaf, sweet potato, homemade mayo

Lunch: Pan-fried chicken, 2 meatballs, asparagus, homemade mayo

Dinner: Meatballs, roasted parsnip, sauteed collard greens

Snack: I had dinner really early. After I got back from seeing a movie with my son, I was starving so I had another piece of pan-fried chicken with mayo and some pistachios, followed by a cup of Tazo Wild Sweet Orange tea. 

Water: 2L

I wasn't feeling too bad today. I had a good sleep last night but felt sleepy and groggy around mid-afternoon. That is all. :)

Fingers crossed day 3 is not too difficult. Still waiting for the caffeine-withdrawal headache! 

post-4434-0-73010500-1420341738_thumb.jp

Yes! 

freerangecrossfit.com/blog/2012/01/20/supreme-egg-loaf/

I made this one with ground pork instead of sausage because my body doesn't like too much sodium, but I have made it in the past with sausage. It is better with sausage, but I like it this way, too. I put zucchini and peppers in it as well, as the recipe says, but I think I will leave them out next time. Not a huge fan of either one. You can add whatever veggies you want! :) Hope you like it! 

Hi there,

I am also on day three, second time around. Definitely gets easier (so far at least haha). Shelley, I gained EIGHT pounds since Thanksgiving and offroading from my first whole 30...so I feel your pain but I already think that Im feeling less puffy so encouraged. Also totally relate to being SUPER busy (I know everyone is really) but just finished my second masters, have two girls 4 and 7 and work full time too so eating like this is a big commitment. But I know how good I feel while doing it and that helps me make it a priority. Its just as important as getting enough sleep, etc. I can also relate to drinking too much wine (my weakness) and was shocked at how icky I felt from drinking after my first whole 30 but so quickly fell into bad habits. I know for me, wine is an easy way to unwind from a crazy chaotic life and I do really enjoy it. However, almost without fail, it leads to poor food choices for me and I see a direct link between wine and not reaching my goals.......I;m just not very good with moderation. Anyway, we will see how the whole 30 goes. Good luck!

Also wondering why you guys are giving up coffee???? 

Thanks Shelly!

I am putting this on my "to do" list.

AJ

Yes! 

freerangecrossfit.com/blog/2012/01/20/supreme-egg-loaf/

I made this one with ground pork instead of sausage because my body doesn't like too much sodium, but I have made it in the past with sausage. It is better with sausage, but I like it this way, too. I put zucchini and peppers in it as well, as the recipe says, but I think I will leave them out next time. Not a huge fan of either one. You can add whatever veggies you want! :) Hope you like it!

Hi Melanie! Thanks for your message. It definitely is a big commitment! I'm generally pretty lazy when it comes to cooking, just simple things, not necessarily unhealthy. So this takes a lot longer than I usually spend on cooking. But I'm soooo happy to eat it when it's done! :)

I'm happy to hear from someone who is in the same boat as me. I hear exactly what you are saying about the wine and the poor food choices and trouble with moderation. I hope that taking this 30 days off (and potentially more) will make me reconsider what role it should play in my life. I do enjoy it, as well! And I agree with you, there is a link between me having gained weight and not being able to get it off with the wine. I guess this whole 30 is a step in the right direction. 

You have two masters degrees - in what? I'm doing my PhD in education.

I'm giving up coffee because I LOVE coffee with cream. I tried it during a previous whole 30 with other things (coconut oil/ghee, coconut milk) and I just can't do it. I don't want coconut-flavoured coffee! I would rather not drink it at all. Stubborn, right? Lol

Day 1

Pre-breakfast: 500 ml of water with half a lemon

Breakfast: Egg loaf with avocado, a banana

Lunch: Baked salmon and more egg loaf (I was running errands and was gone longer than expected so i ate what was fast!)

Dinner: Lime and cilantro coleslaw (I added mayo) and Chocolate Chili 

http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/recipes/sides/lime-cilantro-coleslaw/

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/

Water: 1.5 L so far, but I will have more.

Today was a busy day. I ran some errands and when I came home, I bottled my broth, and made Chocolate Chili and Crockpot Thai Beef Stew from Against All Grain (http://againstallgrain.com/2014/07/07/crockpot-paleo-thai-stew/). I can't wait to try it because it smells delicious! I still feel ok today, just a little tired but nothing I'm not used to. No headache yet! I have actually been sleeping better than normal already, although I'm not sure what that's down to (I got new pillows for Christmas, so maybe that's it!). Looking forward to another good day tomorrow! Back to school and some yummy food! 

Archived