Here & Now-Whole30 Log

Rebe_J

Day 15.

Good news/bad news. I have more energy and am feeling pretty good, but...I still have a lingering cough from my cold and when I try to exercise, I get wheezy and start coughing. I will limit my activity to taking down the Christmas lights and doing some of my weekly cook-up.

I was really tempted to step on the scale for a halfway point reading, but decided not to. I reminded myself it was my inner brat urging me to do it, and whatever the number was, I would react to it. I don't need that. I decided that I'll try on some jeans that have been tight and see if there is a noticeable difference. Since I've been fighting this cold, I've been wearing loose, stretchy clothes for comfort.

Plan for today:

Meal 1-eggs, sausage patties, kale, tomatoes

Meal 2-bowl of chili, the one with lots of vegetable--a meal in itself

Meal 3-Lemon-Cinnamon chicken, 1/2 a baked potato, green beans

At one meal, I'll have a small serving of pineapple. No more nuts for snacks.

Macadamia nuts are expensive! But that didn't keep me from having a handful most every day. No more of that.

I may have had a light bulb moment about why I feel I need a snack between meals. I have been drinking too much coffee. DH has agreed to help me with this. For the next week, no coffee before breakfast (I know I know)--just hot water --maybe with a squeeze of lemon. Then, a big enough breakfast to last until lunch. No coffee between those meals. I can do it, and I think it will help.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may have had a light bulb moment about why I feel I need a snack between meals. I have been drinking too much coffee. DH has agreed to help me with this. For the next week, no coffee before breakfast (I know I know)--just hot water --maybe with a squeeze of lemon. Then, a big enough breakfast to last until lunch. No coffee between those meals. I can do it, and I think it will help.

Way to go, identifying a potential issue for you! Cutting down on coffee is no easy thing. Let us know if it helps!

So, yesterday and this morning--hot water with a squeeze of lemon instead of coffee before breakfast.  It's not so bad.

Today's W30 Daily email talked about Tiger Blood and Restraint Bias.

I think if I hadn't come down with this stupid cold, I may have Tiger Blood. I'm feeling pretty darn good and willing to be more active, but still a bit run down from being sick.

Restraint Bias. I know it well, but never knew there was a technical term for it. I thought it was my Inner Brat...

Today is Day 16. 15 down, 15 to go.

Whole 15

Meal 1: I only had 1 cup coffee before eating, and that is an improvement. More work to do, though

3 eggs fried in coconut oil, 2 homemade sausage patties, kale, cherry tomatoes, 1/2 small grapefruit.

I need to pre-section some more grapefruit. I usually don't want more than a few sections. Digging out the sections with a spoon can get messy. I have to take my glasses off, then I can't see what I'm doing. :rolleyes:

Meal 2: plan--bowl of chili or sliced turkey with salad vegetables and dressing

I have an appointment with my "Motoring Advisor" at 10am today. I may come home in a new car. If that happens, I'll have to find lunch out, and in that neighborhood, it might be tricky finding something compliant. I'll manage.

Meal 3: plan--leftover spaghetti squash with meatballs and Marinara sauce. It's Paleo comfort food and we eat it often.

After I kick this cold to the curb once and for all, I can plan some more creative menus. Right now, fast and easy is a priority.

Day 17

Whole14 to go.

What a busy day yesterday. Went to the MINI dealer and sure enough, I was able to cut a deal on a new car. They were so busy with sales, I had to go back late in the day to take delivery.

Meal 1: Homemade sausage patties, eggs fried in ghee, cherry tomatoes, 1/4 grapefruit.

Meal 2: at work. Tuna salad with a lot of salad vegetables and homemade dressing. Orange

Meal 3: chicken tenderloins pan fried in ghee, seasoned with Penzey's Mural of Flavor, half a baked potato, green beans.

No coffee before breakfast and I was good 5 hours until lunch.

Very busy day at work, and once I got home, i didn't feel like reading or writing anything.

Meal 1: at work, sausage patties, assorted vegetables, 1/2 Apple with almond butter
Meal 2: turkey breast and a big salad
Meal 3: compliant hot dogs, salad vegetables and olives. Applesauce.

Sundays are hare because I have to be at work by 5:30am. I can't eat a meal at 4am, so I eat at my desk. I'm alone in my office, waiting on reports, so I can be mindful...mostly.

I'm trying to eat my first meal within an hour of rising every day, and not have coffee before my meal.. It's a challenge.

Day 19
So far, so good. Busy and long day at work today.

M1- eggs, sausage, tomatoes, grapefruit, I don't get tired of the same thing. Really
M2- salad with lots of vegetables and tuna
M3- turkey breast, half a baked potato with ghee, green beans, applesauce
Snack at work- LARABAR--that I really didn't need.

Another drive-by post and run....

Day 20 is done, 10 to go.. So far, so good.

Meal 1: egg pie, with salsa and avocado, sliced tomatoes, grapefruit

Meal 2: tuna and avocado on a big salad, orange

Meal 3: chicken tenderloins, half a baked potato with ghee, assorted salad vegetables, applesauce.

I was very busy at work and never thought about a snack between meals. If I had had some idle time, I may have fancied a snack. Or maybe that's the old me....

It's Day 21. Hard to believe it's gone by so fast.

One thing I have been lax about: being MINDFUL. The time passed and I've been compliant, but I haven't been paying close enough attention. Following rules takes less energy than deciding whether or not to eat something.

I'm sleeping better and waking up refreshed. I stay alert through the day without help from caffeine or sugar.

I'm having very realistic dreams.

I haven't noticed much change in how my clothes fit, but there is a little slack in my slacks. I keep trying on my wedding ring and it's getting close. I'll be happy when it fits again. I don't want to have it resized.

I haven't given any serious thought to "cheating" or grabbing something non-compliant, just because it was there. And believe me, there have been many opportunities. I have given serious thought to cheating by stepping on the scale....but I haven't yet. I want to see a change, but I know I will react to the number in an unhealthy way, no matter what.

I'm behind on reading the articles linked from he W30 daily emails. I have saved all and plan on spending some time on my days off (today -Friday) catching up.

But...I have some work-related stuff to do, too.

Things are getting bat-shit crazy at work, and I'm dealing with it better and I guess that's a noticeable improvement. I'm not pissedoff the moment I get to work. I am able to handle my boss' moods better. I'm proving to myself that a donut does not make these things better.

Adding regret and guilt to frustration and anger is a recipe for illness.

Meal 1: 2 slices compliant bacon, fried with 3 scrambled eggs, sliced tomatoes, homemade applesauce

Meal 2: sliced turkey, avocado, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, olives, small piece of pineapple

Meal 3: spaghetti squash, meatballs, marinara sauce

Did some of the weekly shopping: WalMart and Costco. Really loaded up at Costco, but they didn't have the organic eggs that I like. I got their regular eggs, since they're better than supermarket, and I didn't schedule in time for another trip in search of eggs.

I have some cooking to do: Roast a spaghetti squash, clean and prep bell peppers, tomatoes, and a few grapefruit. Maybe make a batch of applesauce--it's so good with just cinnamon.

This work week will be long and stressful and I don't have enough time built in for some serious cooking. We'll do OK.

I ordered the Instant Pot from Amazon last Wednesday, and they promised I'd have it Friday. No luck. It's still not here. I sent a mild complaint email to Amazon, expressing my disappointment...and they refunded my money. I didn't expect it.

Day 22

So far, so good.

M 1: egg pie with salsa (out of avocado), sliced tomatoes, grapefruit

M 2: Deconstructed burger with everything but the bun, assorted salad vegetables and olives, small piece of pineapple

M 3: Sausage & peppers skillet.

Snack of 1/2 Apple with almond butter and raisins

Workout: KB swings. 40 minutes, counting warm up and cool down.

Meals are less than inspired, but simple works for us, too. I have so much going on with work and now Jury Duty, that keeping it simple is OK.

And, my Instant Pot still hasn't arrived. According to the tracking, it's still hundreds of miles away. Maybe lost. So, I'll assume it's not coming and plan meals accordingly.

I bought some Ground beef patties at Costco. I'll pre-cook a few to have for quick meals.

And...to my disappointment, Costco didn't have that delicious Kirkland marinara sauce. I found another sauce that's compliant, but it's not as good. I'll have to post a complaint to Costo.

Day 23.

22 down and Whole 8 to go.

I slept really well and woke up feeling refreshed. I have a little soreness in my legs, from my activity yesterday. I'm so de-conditioned. :o

Meal 1- half a hamburger patty left over from yesterday. 3 eggs fried in ghee, a few cherry tomatoes, a few sections grapefruit

Meal 2- chili with lots of vegetables, small serving applesauce

Meal 3- spaghetti squash with meatballs and marinara sauce.

Errands today. Trader Joe's, MINI dealer, work meeting. I don't have any food prep/cooking that I have to do, but I have some ground beef I can cook for "hot plates" later.

At the time the W30 daily emails are encouraging expanding horizons and trying new foods, I'm in a situation where I need to keep it simple. I've been a bit out of sync with the daily stuff almost from the start, but I've saved all the links. I expect to continue this way of eating, with an occasional "splurge" a couple times a month, or while on vacation.

I have dozens of recipes that are tried and true, but are a bit time-consuming, so for the time being...KISS.

Day 24
Wow!
Meal 1 half a burger patty topped with salsa and avocado, with 3 eggs fried in ghee, cherry tomatoes and bell peppers, grapefruit

Posting from iPad, pardon the typos. Off to work. I'm fortified for a busy day.

Meal 2 big salad with turkey and homemade dressing*

Meal 3 leftover sausage and peppers skillet, applesauce

* I tried the OG-ish dressing recipe recommended in one of the W30 daily emails. I used my immersion blender and it turned out watery. Tastes OK, but I don't like the consistency. I may try doctoring it up a bit with tomato paste.

Day 25

Hard to believe only 6 days to go. It wasn't as hard as I expected. The support from W30 Daily and especially from DH have been very helpful.

It's my early day at work; must be there by 5:30, then wait for reports to generate. That's when I eat meal 1, at my desk. I'm alone in my office with not much to do for 20-30 minutes, so it's OK. Sort of.

Meal 1: meatballs and salad vegetables with dipping sauce, apple with almond butter

Meal 2: deconstructed burger with a big salad, pineapple

Meal 3: leftover spaghetti squash with meatballs and sauce, apple sauce

Day 26.

25 down, Whole 5 to go.

I'm not feeling a great weight loss, but I am noticing some slack in my clothes. My stretchiest pants are feeling a big baggy.

I am sleeping well; I fall asleep quickly and wake up refreshed. I've cut down on coffee, especially first thing. I'm making an effort to have my first coffee with my first meal. I'm not perfect, but making progress.

My moods have improved a lot. I don't feel pissed off at the world the first minute I'm at work. This is huge.

Having a bad cold during my W30 may have set back some of my progress. I have not been as active with dedicated exercise as I had planned or hoped. I still have a lingering dry, hacking cough that worsens when I exercise. The stagnant air right now may have something to do with it, too. One of my coworkers has the same complaint.

I also had a severe eczema breakout on my ear, of all places. Coconut oil is a wonderful thing; it really helped soothe the itch and redness.

This time seems easier, but I admit that I was expecting more dramatic results. After giving it all some thought, it makes sense.

Last time, I started my W30 on the first day of a vacation planned just for W30. I didn't have the distraction of work, and it went smoothly. We both lost considerable weight and noticed a wide range of improvements.

In the meantime, I have let the temptation at work win. I've caved to baked goods and other unhealthy foods, while keeping Paleo at home. Bad news.

This time, I have had to battle the temptations right up front from day 1. I've had to be alert to ambushes by donuts and cinnamon rolls, and I have been strong. I have also had the support of the W30 Daily and this forum.

So far, so good. I'm rambling because I'm up against the clock. I have to leave soon for Jury Duty. This is a bad week to be missing work, too. I'll manage.

This will be my first test this W30 of eating out, too. I've been taking my lunch to work. I've checked out the local eateries near the courthouse, and I'll be OK.

Today:

Meal 1: half a burger patty with salsa and avocado, eggs, tomatoes, bell peppers, grapefruit

Meal 2: Turkey breast, assorted salad vegetables, dressing

Meal 3: plan--chicken tenderloins, vegetables...

As it turned out, I got excused from jury duty around 11am and work didn't need me, so I got half a day off. Came home and roasted a spaghetti squash, cooked up some kale and some ground meet for hot plates.

Day 27.

I was planning on this being a hectic week, with little time to do a proper cook-up. As it turns out, I have the time and now we're having boring, repetitious meals. DH doesn't mind, and I really like spaghetti squash. Better than pasta, I think.

M-1: eggs, lots of them, scrambled with kale (cooked with bacon and onion), cherry tomatoes, some grapefruit

M-2: big salad with homemade dressing, burger patty with salsa and avocado

M-3: spaghetti squash with meat sauce

I had a LARABAR at work, and I know I really didn't need it. I don't want to start the snacking thing again.

I mentioned to my coworker that today was Day 27 and he confessed to falling off the W30 wagon. He said he'll start up after Super Bowl. My plan is to splurge on Super Bowl, then get back on the W30 through Feb. Our wedding anniversary is the 28, and I have to work that day. We'll probably celebrate the day before. A week after that, I'm taking a week vacation, and we want to get out of town for a few days. I should be well-grounded in my Paleo eating plan by then.

Day 28.

Meal 1: same as yesterday: eggs, kale, salsa, avocado, tomatoes, grapefruit.

Meal 2: compliant hot dogs with assorted salad vegetables, olives, slice of melon

Meal 3: Stovetop Carnitas, kale, assorted salad vegs, pineapple

Since I have three days off and no jury duty, I have plans for shopping and cooking. Costco is my first stop.

Cooking plan: mayo, salad dressing, egg pie, banana cake (for DH), meatballs, sausage patties, beef stew, carnitas, roast spaghetti squash, Brussels sprouts, steam saute some vegetables. Whew! That's a lot. I won't even try to get it all done today.

I made a huge batch of breakfast sausage patties and the Stovetop Carnitas. It turned out really good this time--much crispier. I used a large skillet rather than a saucepan and only about 3 pounds of pork. I got boneless pork spareribs at Costco. They have a lot of fat, but most rendered out and crisped up the meat. I drained away the excess.

I did some sewing, if you can call it that. I noticed the headrests in the cars were showing grime, so I bought some hand towels and improvised some fitted "hoods" for all the headrests. They look a little dorky, but they will keep the headrests from getting sticky from hair spray and gel. It was a little gross.

Day 29.

Where did the time go?

I'm feeling pretty good in general. In today's W30 Daily, there is an exercise to write a success story. I don't have much to say, but I will give the topic a lot of thought.

I'm thinking about what's next.

Meal 1-sausage patties, eggs fried in coconut oil, cherry tomatoes, a few sections grapefruit.

Meal 2-chili

Meal 3- probably Cinnamon Beef Stew--I have the meat thawing.

mid afternoon snack-apple with almond butter.

will get some form of exercise in today, too.

I did a lot of cooking. Exercise is being pushed aside in favor of household stuff. Not good....

It's Day 30. My intention is to stay compliant today and tomorrow, then do a little off-roading on Sunday at work.

I set out to do W31. Super Bowl Sunday is a hugely busy, stressful day and it's hard enough to find time to eat a proper meal without it being W30 compliant. I expect I'll be OK with it. It's when things are slow at work that I tend to wander around within sight and reach of the baked goods.

Then, Monday, Feb 2, back in the saddle until our anniversary. We're celebrating 39 years. I have to work that day (28th), but we will go out for a nice dinner on one of my days off during the week. Then, beginning March 4, I'm on vacation for 10 days. We haven't made plans yet....

I would like to "keep" WholeXX at least 85% of the time, allowing a "splurge" once a week or so. No slippery slope like before. I know from my first W30 re-introduction which foods I can let back in and which ones I must avoid. I expect they will be the same. Corn and oats are OK. Sugar and wheat are not, though the small bit of sugar added to bacon or ham isn't a problem. I'm not a big fan of legumes, but I didn't notice any big disruption with small amounts of soy or beans. I prefer almond butter to peanut butter, so there's that.

Plan for today:

Meal 1- sausage patties, eggs fried in ghee, cherry tomatoes, a few sections grapefruit

Meal 2- sliced turkey w/mayo, assorted salad vegetables, avocado, melon

Meal 3- spaghetti squash, meat sauce, melon

I'll be back to fill in the gaps.

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Day 31 and my final day of this W30.

Meal 1-same as yesterday: sausage patties, eggs, cherry tomatoes, grapefruit

Meal 2-at work. Sliced turkey with a lot of vegetables on a big salad with homemade dressing, melon

Meal 3: pork carnitas, roasted Brussels sprouts, steam-sauteed carrots with ghee and lemon, melon

It will be a busy day at work today, with Super Bowl tomorrow.

Feb 1

Super Bowl Sunday and it will be a brutal day at work. Long, loud and crazy. I woke up with a bit of a headache, so I'm not looking forward to what's in store at work.

...But that's just work. Not as important as my good health by a long shot.

So, after today, I'll be doing another round of Whole30. It won't go 30 days, as I plan to splurge on our anniversary late in the month.

Whole30 2.1-Day 0 Today.

Reviewing my goals for my Jan W30, I didn't do so well. I stayed compliant for 30 days; at least I believe I was compliant. I was diligent in vetting the ingredients of packaged foods, but mainly ate foods with no labels.

I didn't even look at my written goals after a few days.

Goals for W30.2.2:

Keep goals in mind. Read and reread them regularly.

note: time to go to work. back later to finish

Monday, Feb 2

W30.2.2 day 1

Meal 1-homemade sausage patties, eggs fried in coconut oil on top of a big mess of kale, a few cherry tomatoes, half a grapefruit

Meal 2-big salad with turkey and homemade dressing, apple with almond butter

Meal 3-beef stew

Snack-Larabar

Another busy work day. I'm glad I have a well-stocked refrigerator. Dinner is on the table in short order. We don't get tired of "repeats," thankfully. I usally have 2 or 3 main dishes and a variety of vegetables ready to go. Plus...I always have frozen chicken tenderloins, for a last minute change...or whatevery.

I am trying to have my coffee with my first meal, so I have a cup of hot water when I'm first waking up. I am usually good about having my first meal within an hour of getting up. I am beginning to notice the difference in how I feel, depending on whether I eat right away or have coffee first.

I'm hoping that getting those hormones regulated will help me lose the extra pounds I've been carrying around for too long.

Whole30.2.2 Day 2

Meal 1: homemade sausage patties, eggs fried in coconut oil on top of a big mess of kale, a few cherry tomatoes, half a grapefruit

Meal 2: big salad with turkey and homemade dressing, 1/2 an apple

Meal 3: cleaning out the refrigerator. Leftover carnitas, roasted B.sprouts, carrots, and whatever else is in there....

It's my Friday and I'm ready for my days off after the intense week at work. On the agenda: DMV to register my new car. Take MIL to doctor. Shopping and cooking. A bike ride or walk, if weather permits. And...without fail....work out with my kettlebells.

Archived