I Need Something Besides Water

vickicon

Drinking only water can feel a bit daunting! I needed some more variety as well, especially since of my big hurdles has been quitting soda. So, what I did was replace it with soda water and lemon slices. I also drink tea (make sure to check ingredients...some add soy...random!) and I infuse my water to make it more interesting (there are lots of infused water ideas on pinterest). One I'm making up now has cinnamon sticks, apples and ginger root in it :).

Guest Andria

Take a look at this article:
http://whole9life.com/2012/10/quench-your-thirst-whole9-style/

While the suggestions in the article and made by greenhm are perfectly fine and compliant, the bulk of your hydration (total daily water intake = 1/2 - 1 times your body weight) should be coming from pure water.  Do not rely on too much of the other compliant beverages as a crutch for your former soda habit. 

I don't feel it's a "crutch" for my soda habit, but rather a way for me to increase my daily water intake. I don't drink soda water and have the same response as I would if it were soda and I don't go to the fridge craving a soda, but then opt for the soda water. But I get your point. I drink plain water as well, but mix it up with these other ideas for variety :).

What about Crystal Light Energy, with caffeine?

I just googled the ingredients and this product is not Whole30 compliant because it contains maltodextrin (a sweetener), aspartame (artificial sweetener) and soy lecithin.

• 1 month later...

I buy fizzy water and put lemon juice or slices in it. At the start I missed fruit juices and pop but over the months my taste buds have changed.

I can't drink pop or diet coke anymore...I have them up in my first whole30 and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made ;) it's worth it!

In Germany, people drink something called "Schorle": basically a fruit juice mixed with (sparkling) water. Traditionally, apple juice is used, but many varieties exist. While juice is not a drink of choice during the program, adding a splash to brighten up the water - occasionally - is ok, on my opinion. We had it with the dinner yesteday, and I couldn't even finish my glass. :-) 

• Administrators

In Germany, people drink something called "Schorle": basically a fruit juice mixed with (sparkling) water. Traditionally, apple juice is used, but many varieties exist. While juice is not a drink of choice during the program, adding a splash to brighten up the water - occasionally - is ok, on my opinion. We had it with the dinner yesteday, and I couldn't even finish my glass. :-) 

Adding a splash of fruit juice to a glass of water is totally fine, we just tell people to make sure it doesn't replace plain water.  :)

• Administrators

My Nanna used to give us "corporation pop" aka tap water and for an extra treat she'd add a splash of fruit juice...I do the same with my son as it's a million times better than cans of pop or bottled squashes ;)

It's too sweet for me though now!

What is a "bottled squash"??

Haha, this brings back a random memory.  I wasn't allowed soda as a kid (thank you, wonderful parents) but they would give me Juicy Juice (which is 100% fruit juice) mixed with half and half with sparkling water.  I loooved it.  Now I can't imagine I'd like it -- too sweet!  But a squeeze of fresh lime in some sparkling mineral water is my new "treat."

Now I love herbal teas, and I find that some of the fruit based herbal teas taste very sweet to me without actually having any sugar or calories.  In the summer I enjoy them iced with fresh lemon or lime juice.  

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

Does plain sparkling water = plain water?

Sparkling water can sometimes have flavourings or additives in it, always check the labels.  There is absolutely no substitute for plain, clear water.  But sparkling water, providing it's compliant is a reasonable choice to break up the monotony.  :)

I have become OCD about label checking - I will check it at the store and again before I use it, just to make sure I didn't miss anything. Found a sparkling water yesterday that on the front of the label screams, "0 calories! 0 sodium! 0 sugars!" but there was aspartame in it! punks!

I like to take a beer glass that I have (it was from a beer fest so it has oz marks on the back side of the glass) and I pour 3 oz of kombucha in the glass and top it off with soda water. Great when I need fizz. I also like lemon juice and raw apple cider vinegar in my water--just a splash of each though. I like herbal tea, and I brew it by the gallon--I have a lemon ginger one that I like to make and I put orange slices in the brew part of the tea pot and brew the hot tea over the slices and then press and toss the tea bags and orange rinds. 

I like cucumbers and raspberries.    Lemons and blackberries.   Limes and strawberries....in a large pitcher of water.  

I'm a lemons and strawberries gal, but now I want to try cukes and raspberries!

I start my first whole30 tomorrow and the part I am the most worried about is losing my diet coke. I am sure I will acquire a taste for it - but I REALLY don't like plain water. My compromise position has always been to drink water with just a squirt of Mio in it - but I know that won't be compliant due to the aspartame. I will figure something out - because THIS IS GOING TO WORK!!!

Kris

• Administrators

Yes, MIO is not compliant.  You can try infusing your water with fresh fruits (put a pitcher in the fridge and drop fresh cut fruit into it and "steep"). Your body does need clear, plain water though and once that diet coke is out of your system you may find yourself extremely thirsty and plain, clear water is your best bet.

Archived