RangerAJ's Whole 30 Blog

RangerAJ

Well....today is a new day,,,and a new year.

At the age of 47 I have decided to do better by me.  I am a nice guy,,,and I think I should expect more from my health/life/diet decisions.

I feel like I have battling the bulge my entire adult life.  I have always enjoyed food.  The WRONG foods at that!

As a Law Enforcement Officer, I am required to keep certain physical standards.  Over the past couple of years, that has faultered.

My laziness I have blamed on my allergies, along with my weight gain too.

Today I clocked in at 207 lbs.  At 5'6" I don't like the look or sound of that number.

My parents had heart issues, and my father was a severe diabetic.  They both left too early in my opinion.

It is my goal to be there for my husband, and enjoy a great retirement someday.

An officer I know (and his wife) live by the paleo principles.  Youth aside, he is in fantastic shape, and holistically is on top of the world.  Of course I want some of that! 

He introduced me to Whole30, and gave me a slight push.  I contacted him over Thanksgiving and told him "enough was enough, and I am tired of being tired, and feeling sick, and looking horrible".  I comitted then to do a Whole30 program at the start of the new year.

And.... Here we are!

With little -to-no prep I am on my way.

Coffee without a creamer did not kill me,,,,, Hows that for encouragement first thing in the morning!

AJ

Hi AJ! I look forward to following you on your journey over the next 30 days. As I discovered in the past, this is a very supportive environment and has helped me immensely. I'm sure it will do the same for you! 

Shelley :)

Day 1 done!!

Gonna take a bit to get a hang of new eating pattern.  I am so locked into starch and carbs!

Meals for day 1~

Breakfast - cup of black coffee, 3 eggs, 6 slices chicken deli meat  (juiced 3 apples for snack, as they were doing nothing in the fridge.)

Lunch - bagged salad w/can of tuna.  1905 dressing (simple label, no sugar)

Supper - meatloaf that I found on Whole30Recipes.  Very filling. (some canned spinach too)

No sugar, No breads.

Wow,,,didnt think I could do it.

I also used Ghee for the first time in my life.

Tummy felt a touch unsettled later in evening,,,I felt full.

Woke up 4 times overnight to relieve full bladder.  I don't remember drinking that much, so I assume my body decided to let go of some water retention.  (I know it is TMI...but it is a blog)

post-57721-0-83858800-1420227175_thumb.j

Good job, AJ!!   You totally CAN do this!   My little bits of advice:  Next time you go shopping, be sure to stock up on things you can grab in moments of weakness, and be sure to always have something like that handy.  And when you cook something good, cook it BIG -- think leftovers for a couple of days.

Have a great Day 2! 

Ann

Day 1 done!!

Gonna take a bit to get a hang of new eating pattern.  I am so locked into starch and carbs!

Meals for day 1~

Breakfast - cup of black coffee, 3 eggs, 6 slices chicken deli meat  (juiced 3 apples for snack, as they were doing nothing in the fridge.)

Lunch - bagged salad w/can of tuna.  1905 dressing (simple label, no sugar)

Supper - meatloaf that I found on Whole30Recipes.  Very filling. (some canned spinach too)

No sugar, No breads.

Wow,,,didnt think I could do it.

I also used Ghee for the first time in my life.

Tummy felt a touch unsettled later in evening,,,I felt full.

Woke up 4 times overnight to relieve full bladder.  I don't remember drinking that much, so I assume my body decided to let go of some water retention.  (I know it is TMI...but it is a blog)

Yesterday was my first day and I too seemed to go to the bathroom multiple times overnight- which I normally sleep through the night, hmmm, great job by the way.

I just realized I missed Day 2.

It was a good day.  Nothing crazy special.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback!

Today Day 3 was more interesting.

I started out the day going into town and getting our Bountiful Basket. 

The basket had some peppers,,,mushrooms,,,of which I sauteed, and placed into an omelet.  I garnished my plate with some strawberries, and blueberries.

It looked and tasted divine!

Lunch was a custom salad w/ greens, grape tomatoes, sliced almonds, and some flaked salmon. Yum.

Dinner tonight we had Catfish, squash, and avocado.

I feel good,,,but tired this evening.  It's bedtime.

See you tomorrow.

Day 4 done!

Today was a little more of a struggle.

I saw the Reese's In the freezer, and felt a little loss. Don't tell me to throw it out, cuz it's not going to happen.

Breakfast- 3boiled eggs, strawberries & blueberries, few slices of chicken breast. Really good and relaxing.

Lunch- catfish fillet, squash, and sautéed veggies. It was good, but I was that hungry.

Supper- pork loin, spaghetti squash, broccoli. A couple of garlic olives too.

My tummy feels a touch stuffed with vegetables. I'm gonna have some tea to settle.

post-57721-0-32241100-1420424586_thumb.jpost-57721-0-87618600-1420424610_thumb.j

I made an egg loaf today, and replaced the zuchinni with broccoli. Will have it in the morning.

Have a good day!

Lol...I hear ya about the Reese's. Yesterday, I discovered some mini chocolate cheesecakes in the freezer that I had bought for New Year's Eve and completely forgot about them that night. They are staying where they are. :)

Hope you like the egg loaf! 

Day 5 Done!

I am feeling more successful each day. I CAN control what I choose to put in my body.

Shelly (see above) showed me a link to an Eggloaf.

I made the Eggloaf yesterday, substituting the zucchini with broccoli.

It looked good, but I was worried about the onions. ( I'm not a fan of raw onions).

Tried it this morning,,,,and it was so delicious! ( onions cooked nicely). I will make this again for week 3 or 4.

Day 5

Breakfast- Eggloaf w/ strawberries & blueberries.

Lunch- catfish w/tomato paste, leftover spaghetti squash Salad and Apple

Dinner- sliced pork loin w/mushroom and sliced sweet potato. 1/2 avocado

It was a good day.

post-57721-0-48305000-1420505131_thumb.j

post-57721-0-55253200-1420505155_thumb.j

post-57721-0-31061300-1420505179_thumb.j

6 days Done!

I didn't take pictures of food today.

I had a Dr. Appt today. My Liver function numbers rose in the past couple of years.

My Dr. drew blood, and will reschedule me when the tests comes back from lab.

I told her I had been eating Paleo for the last week, and she remarked it was a good plan.

Felt good to have my Dr.s support.

I do feel my body shrinking, as my uniform is not crazy amounts of snug.

Breakfast - Eggloaf, strawberries and blueberries. Avocado 1/4

Lunch- double chicken chopped salad from Subway. Dressing from home 1/4 avocado, 4 garlic olives.

Dinner- round steak, organic carrots, apple.

Jason (husband) is not doing whole30, so I made him a rice dish side for dinner. I am finding I can prepare non-Whole30 food without cravings.

He also tried the Eggloaf this morning, and really liked it.

Bring on Day 7!!!

Hey it's been a week!

This first week was much worse in my mind last week. I am surprised to find That following whole 30 has not been as difficult as I thought it would be. I am really pleased with the results so far, as my uniform seems to be fitting looser on me already.

I look forward to a week to week 2!

Today's meals are leftovers from previous meals. I will cook some different recipes this weekend.

Breakfast- Eggloaf again. Man this is good. I am going to experiment with spinach next time.

Lunch- big salad. Lettuce, grape tomatoes, mushroom, tuna, and 1/2 avocado. 1905 Dressing.

Dinner- meatloaf, some sweet potato slices, sliced string beans and pickled garlic.

Oh- and an apple in the afternoon.

I have been behaving.

post-57721-0-54988900-1420678107_thumb.j

post-57721-0-33894000-1420678127_thumb.j

post-57721-0-00614000-1420678146_thumb.j

Day 8 was crazy at work,,,, but all worked out in the end.

Unable to get out of my office all day, lunch didn't happen.

I thought skipping lunch would cause me to gorge at dinner, but it did not happen.

I had my Eggloaf for breakfast,,,,

Several glasses of water at work.

For dinner, we had Filet Mignon, broccoli, 1/2 avocado, some olives.

Tea before bedtime.

Day 9 went well,

Eggloaf and stuff

lunch was a great salad w/ imitation crabmeat

dinner was chicken breast,,and veggies.

Did not take pics today either,,,,

On one hand it helps recall what I ate,,,,on the other,,,I get tired of taking pics of my food.

We'll see....

See ya later!

Started out today with some leftover meatloaf, followed by a brisk morning walk.

Heading out for the day, I put some salad dressing in a container in assuming I would find a salad somewhere for lunch. Found it at Subway.

For dinner had some leftover chicken, veggies and 1/2 avocado.

Good day!

Also stopped at Barnes and Noble, and picked up a copy of the Paleo cookbook "Well Fed". Very anxious to try some new recipes.

Sunday was the most challenging day so far.

Today was that day we stayed in the house, and left old man winter out side.

I felt like snacking alllllllllll day.

Instead of reaching for crazy non Whole 30 stuff,,,, I enjoyed a fig, a couple dates,,,or a handful of raisins.  Was it a sugar thing I had?

Breakfast was good~ 3 hard boiled eggs, leftover broccoli,

Lunch~ Salad w/ sliced steak & avocado.

Dinner~ was supposed to have been Salmon,,,(not thawed).  So I had sausage with squash and avocado.

Felt Crazy Amounts of tired by 7pm....  went to bed.

Hope Monday feels better.   ( I know they all can't be incredible)

AJ

Today (day 12) was much better than yesterday.

Very good day all around.

My Eggloaf I made yesterday didn't cook long enough. I tried spinach in the recipe and did not increase cook time enough.

Will have to cook in micro longer when serving.

Dinner was Salmon and Cumin Roasted Carrots. (Latter found in Well Fed)

See ya tomorrow!

post-57721-0-42745200-1421113137_thumb.j

Wow....nearly halfway!

Today was fine.

My portions seem to be shrinking slightly, as my appetite is not as crazy as it was.

We have a bowl of M&Ms on the table in the living room. I have not touched them,,, but I wish they would go away soon.

Dinner was the special meal today.

A couple of burger party's with mushrooms.

See ya tomorrow.

post-57721-0-34481700-1421209665_thumb.j

Wow,,,,is today #18?

It doesnt feel like it.  I apologize for not blogging more.  Even living out in the middle of nowhere I feel busy,,,and short of time.

Last weekend,,,I tried my hand at making Olive Oil Mayo.  What a disaster!

Fast forward to this weekend.  We brought home food processor,,,and I tried the recipe again.  Bingo!!!! It's Mayo!  I am Veeeeery Impressed!

This will be used as a base for some salad dressings I want to try.

I also made a BBQ sauce to go along with everything.  It tastes a touch like Marinara,,,,,and leaves a zing on the back of your tongue.

It is my desire to learn how to do some of the basic recipes,,that help plan/build mulit-meals.

Since today is Sunday,,,I will make another Egg Loaf.  A slice is easy to place on a plate each morning, and it taste great.

Today I am venturing into the book "Well Fed", and will be making a batch of cauliflower,,,and then using it in the "Shepards Pie" recipe.

I am anxious to try it.

My craving's for Sugar are kaput.  I have had no problem staying away.  I do mourn slightly for my morning flavored creamer.

I am planning on continuing this journey past the 30 days... as I have shaken many of the physiological aches & pains.

Approaching the New Year,,,,,I was a sad-sack, exhausted, sitting on the couch, wreck.  I feel all that turning around!

Have a wonderful day!!!

Here we are on Day 19.

Feels great!

Yesterday I spent the afternoon in the kitchen trying out a couple new recipes from "Well Fed".

I made a batch of mashed cauliflower, and then used it to make the Shepherd's Pie.

Dinner was delicious!  I could not have asked for better!

In a few moments I will sink my teeth into an egg casserole (EggLoaf) I made yesterday.

Have a good day!

Archived