Just Mayo

SheilaT

Hello,

I am not incorporating Mayonnaise during my whole30.  My boyfriend and I found a zero carb Mayo at Walmart and it's called, Just Mayo by Hampton Creek.

Ingredients include:

Non-GMO Expeller Pressed Canola Oil

Filtered Water,

Lemon Juice

White Vinegar

2% or less of the following:  Organic Sugar, Salt, Pea Protein, Spices, Modified Food Starch, Beta-Carotene, Calcium Disodium, EDTA (to preserve freshness).

I was surprised to stumble upon this mayonnaise as it does not have Carbs.

Their Nutrition Facts label stated:

Serving Size:  1 Tablespoon

Servings per container:  about 60

Calories 90     Calories from Fat 90

Total Fat 10g     15%

Saturated Fat 1g     5%

Trans Fat 0g

Cholesterol 0mg     0%

Sodium 80mg     3%

Total Carbohydrate 0g     0%

Dietary Fiber 0g     0%

Sugars 0g     

Protein 0g

Any thoughts or opinions on this Mayonnaise?

Thanks you lots.

Sheila

sorry, but this mayo isn't permitted on the whole30 because of the pea protein and sugar (canola oil is also not great, although not completely banned).

It is really easy to make your own mayo with compliant oil. I prefer 1/2 avocado oil (look for a pale yellow one for mild flavor)/1/2 coconut oil.

Guest Andria

You mentioned twice in your post that this mayo did not contain any carbs. Whether a mayonnaise (or any food, for that matter) has carbs or not really has no bearing on a Whole30.  I hope you do not think the Whole30 is about restricting carbs., because it is not.

I vote for the homemade mayo, as well. Supper yummy.  If you happen to make it with olive oil just be sure to use a light tasting olive oil and not EVOO.

I was intimidated to make mayo on my first W30, but once I got the hang of it (it's really not hard), it is so awesome.  So many things you can do with it! 

This is the method/recipe I follow (minus the raw honey): 

This is my favourite: http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/ I use light olive oil.

Also be aware when anything is measured as a tablespoon for the serve, the numbers do not always match what would be in say a kilo (labelling laws).

In Australia labels also have to be provided in 100g or 100ml and a lot of packaged stuff is much higher in carbs than the tablespoon serving would suggest.

I was planning to make some tonight but then realized I left my stick blender at the office!! How silly is that?! (I planned to try to make bulletproof coffee at work using it, but didn't).

Hi Nicoled817,

Yes, I wondered about the Mayo too and I was looking at Just Mayo brand in particular.  My boyfriend is diabetic, this question actually was more on his behalf.  The video Ann made was really really good.  I'll need to invest in a quality brand of immersion blender in the near future.  Have a good evening.

If all you plan to use the immersion blender for is mayo any old one will do. For mayo you want really low speed. I bought the cuisenart one on Amazon which is a pretty good one for like $35. They are not very pricey and that one goes on sale frequently. I love it for making soup too.

If all you plan to use the immersion blender for is mayo any old one will do. For mayo you want really low speed. I bought the cuisenart one on Amazon which is a pretty good one for like $35. They are not very pricey and that one goes on sale frequently. I love it for making soup too.

I haven't found this to be true. I had a cheap one and it didn't work. I have the Breville one now and I use it at top speed (15) and it makes mayo in seconds. Cheap blender and slow speeds didn't work. With the Breville on 15 and my egg cold from the fridge, I get no-fail mayo every time. (Perhaps this is the only way I live on the edge?)  I always feel ancient French chefs turning in their graves when I make mayo. It's just so counterintuitive. :lol:

Amy, um, just so you know, your Mayo process defies known food science  B) . I'm glad it's working for you, but low and slow with the right balance of fat and acid is what is supposed to be going on. Those ancient French chefs did it by hand with a fork  ;) .

I know! :lol: That's why I imagine them turning in their graves every time I make mayo. It's just so weird and uncheflike. :lol:

Just a note, though, that I use the process described in the video above. It's not a blitz for a few seconds and then totally done, it's a blitz for a few seconds, rest for a bit, and repeat. So in a couple of minutes of blitz/rest you get mayo.

Anyway, I posted that for anyone who is feeling iffy about making their own mayonnaise. If I can do it, anyone can!

Is it okay to use raw eggs to make homemade mayo. It concerns me but no one else seems concerned about it. If they are pasturized eggs does that make it okay? I'd really like a reply to this as I'd like to give it a try. Thanks.

I am not comfortable using raw eggs, even from my cage free eggs from my csa.  It's just not worth it to me! It seems like a lot of people use the raw egg with no problem. I also read a post about "pasteurizing" your own eggs at home, but then I read somewhere else that home pasteurization is not 100%.

When I make mayo at home, I buy the pasteurized eggs from my grocery store.

Just to add to the French chef grave turning... I do my mayo with a whole egg straight from the fridge, teaspoon of mustard from the fridge, pinch of salt, and dash of cayenne. Medium to high speed on the immersion blender (whatever it was on the last time I used it) with whisk attachment and slowly drizzle oil. The acid portion (Apple cider vinegar for me) is stirred in at the end. This has never failed me except the time that I got cocky and drizzled too much oil and another time that I dumped in double vinegar.

I haven't found this to be true. I had a cheap one and it didn't work. I have the Breville one now and I use it at top speed (15) and it makes mayo in seconds. Cheap blender and slow speeds didn't work. With the Breville on 15 and my egg cold from the fridge, I get no-fail mayo every time. (Perhaps this is the only way I live on the edge?)  I always feel ancient French chefs turning in their graves when I make mayo. It's just so counterintuitive. :lol:

The only batch of mayo I've ever had not turn out I used too high a speed on my parents hand blender. So funny.

I always use the low setting on mine and I stick it to the bottom of the jar and don't move it until stuff stops happening and then slowly move it around. For what it's worth this is the method I use: 

I personally don't worry about the raw egg yolk but I never have. 

Archived