Susan is at it again

SusanB.

Welcome back!  Sounds like you had quite some challenges during your last w30.  Hope things are a little better tis time around :)

Thank you! Last 30 (january 5 start) was wonderful, reintroduction, not so much. But at least I know why I failed (didn't do reintroduction properly, just finished my 30 and then threw caution to the wind). I didn't intend it that way, but that's the way it went.

Hopefully, this time I'll be better with reintro. I have to go out of town to a conference on day 32, so hopefully in the next month I'll build some strategies for how to cope without falling apart.

Day 2:

Alarm 5:00

Yoga (prana flow - very active) 6:00-7:15

M1 (at work) 8:30 - spinach/procuitto fritatta, zucchini soup. (the fritatta was in a muffin cup - could only get through about half of it). A few roasted sweet potatoes.

M2 - 12:30 - small piece leftover beef pot roast, chicken breast roasted with avocado oil and spices, more roasted sweet potatoes (it's what I had, need to cook some stuff up).

Water intake: 48 oz+

• 10 months later...

Well, it took a few days worth of clicking "lost password" before I actually got an email allowing me to reset.

But here I am again, logging for...I guess my fifth Whole30 attempt (two were successful, two fizzled).

I have great support this time - into this with my partner, so we can share cooking...and give each other pep talks.

My personal challenges this go-round:

-cut out almond butter, since it was definitely food without brakes for me.

-try to be better about nuts. If they can't be food without brakes, then they go as well.

-make sure to stick the dismount on reintroduction - going back and forth between doing a Whole90 and doing reintroduction very slowly, over the 60 days post-30.

-try to plan ahead for my 10-day houeguest (she's a foodie!) and weekend in NYC with her, so I don't have to start over when she leaves. I know I can choose to stay on-plan - I don't know if there will be on-plan foods available for the whole weekend.

-get to the heart of the "changing my relationship with food" issue. 30 days was definitely not enough to counter a lifetime of bad habits. Hence, toying with the idea of Whole90

-learn how to cook fermented foods. I have chronic gut issues, and (unfortunately) have had to take a few courses of antibiotics over the last few months. I'd like to restore whatever gut bacteria I can.

Bottom line: I'm tired of feeling exhausted all the time, and I am tired of my stomach hurting all the time. I remember how good I felt last winter: so unbelievably good. I want to feel like that again.

I'm also tired of not fitting into my clothes. That truly sucks. I took before pictures (humbling) and weighed before I started - I'm 30-35 pounds over where I'm most happy. There is no 30 in the world that will help me drop that quickly, but I'm hoping that with regular exercise, by the end of 90 I'll have made a sizeable dent in that number.

I'll get right to it.

Day 3 - woke up at 3am, decided to blow off 6am strength training class. Been quite tired today.

2 tuna cakes

small amount of squash soup

apple

bora bora fireballs (3)

green olives (6)

spinach sauteed with olive oil and roasted garlic

roasted sweet potatoes

oof, okay, not being able to go back and edit posts is something I'm going to have to adjust to. I was used to starting a post for the day and editing it as the day went on.  (yes, I read about why we can't edit posts).

Anyway, yesterday (day 3)

#3 (6:00pm)

procuitto-wrapped pork tenderloin

garlic-lemon broccoli

Only got through a few of the broccoli, and then I just. wasn't. hungry.

Of course, when I got back home at 9:30, I was ravenous. I don't normally experience actual hunger on the 30 (except sometimes by AM if I had dinner relatively early) - I knew this was because I didn't have enough dinner. I was utterly wiped out and couldn't stand the idea of preparing anything. Went with an apple with compliant sunbutter.

Got to bed later than I wanted to (11pm). Didn't even set my alarm for 5am yoga class. will try to swim this afternoon.

Day four was yesterday. Couldn't get out of bed, missed AM yoga & PM swimming both. Boo.

Tuna cakes; Carrot soup
meatballs; Spinach; sweet potatoes; guac
pork; Tahini Broccoli

Funny, on Wednesday I loved the pork and couldn't choke down the broccoli. On Thursday, the reheated pork was meh, but the tahini broccoli was a total star.

I was exhausted but did the sleep-procrastination thing and didn't go to bed until too late, really. Early morning logic somehow talked myself out of going for a swim before work as I had planned. Boo, me.

Woke up today (day 5) with congestion and a sore throat. Playing "virus or carb flu". Had some sweet potatoes and a clementine with breakfast, but I don't know - if it's "carb flu" (I've experienced it before), will a quick hit of carbs like that help?

This not being able to edit posts is taking some getting used to.

Didn't have time to record yesterday last night. Now I've kind of forgotten.

Day 6:

M1- sweet potato, pork tenderloin hash with an egg. Apple with compliant sunbutter.

Had no M2 because i was at my book club. Had to forgo the wine, brownies, cheese and whipped cream. Had raw carrots, grape tomatoes, and blackberries instead. No proteins available.

M3 was Melissa's Cincinnati chili, fresh from the stove. Over spinach with a dollop of avocado oil.

I "should" have had another big serving of veggies, but I've been cooking nonstop for a week and was just too exhausted to think about cooking more.

Day 7, Sunday:

Hash -pork sweet potato, two eggs

Apple & sunbutter

Roasted parsnips

Kale

Chili

Bison/bacon burger

Tahini broccoli 

Finished the night with a terrible stomachache. Like, ball of lead in my gut. Couldn't sleep because of it. Woke up still feeling rotten, but getting the shocking news about David Bowie kind of stunned me out of it. Go figure.

Monday - day 8

Tuna cakes

Carrot soup

Chili

Spinach

Broccoli

Roasted sweet potatoes and parsnips

Carnitas

Tuesday was day nine:

And in case I haven't made it clear, all cooked foods are compliant because I'm cooking them myself. Only cheat is the Wholly Guacamole cups, because even though they aren't as good as mine, they're compliant and a huge time saver.

#1 Tuna cakes (2), carrot soup

#2 venison stew (about a cup, made with carrots), spinach (half a bag of fresh salad spinach), 1/2 cup sweet potatoes roasted in ghee, one clementine

#3 Handful of walnuts, one bison-bacon mini burger; about 1/4 pound carnitas; tahini broccoli (small amount). One guac cup. It was "can't cope with cooking, so kill the leftovers in the fridge" night.

I realized that I was getting hungry 3-4 hours after my last meal - but it's a strange hungry. I'm not dizzy or fatigued in the least...but my stomach is rumbling something fierce. After some discussion on a thread, I decided that maybe trying more fat with each meal is something to try. All my veg are roasted in healthy fats and I'm trying to have 1-3 servings of veg per meal (where my previous 30s were out of balance, I think in retrospect). So going forward I will attempt to add another serving of fat when I can, see if that makes a difference.

• 7 months later...

Well, here we go again. I tried to do a 30 last January, but only got 21 days into it before I was traveling (to a foodie destination, with a foodie friend), and not willing to stay compliant.

I've been thinking a lot about what a cognitive-behavioral therapist I used to see for sleep issues said about "ready, willing, and able". Ready being, do you want the result; willing - are you motivated to put in the work required; able - is it possible on a practical level to make this happen. So there are definitely times when I'm not willing, or not able, or both. But I'm trying to do my best at being compliant when I am able - so working on the "willing" a little more. Committing to spending much of my weekend prepping and cooking for the week and stuff.

I thought I might try this crazy notion of not counting days this time - further, I was thinking about trying to spend the rest of 2016 as-compliant-as-possible. I have OCD tendencies, and sometimes counting days can be counter-productive for me, because I focus on that day 31...and inevitably lose my mind when the 30 is over. I have yet to manage reintroduction properly.

Trying, this go-round, to focus more on eating plenty of vegetables, and choosing to fill up on them rather than protein. Not trying to change the template, still having a legitimate serving of protein at every meal - but I have found previously that if I'm "still hungry" or trying to fill out a meal, it's easiest to just have another meatball or piece of chicken or whatever. So I'm making a concerted effort to make my meals primarily vegetables, with a small serving of protein and the appropriate fat.

I've gathered a nice bunch of recipes over the last few 30s, but still/always looking for more.

I need:

breakfasts that can be frozen in individual portions

vegetable soups that can serve as a serving of veg with breakfast

vegetable dishes that can be served cold or reheated without losing integrity

quick protein dinners

I guess I'll go get on it...

I work things out by talking about them - but I'm trying to not talk my friends to death about my whole30. Thus, here I go with some stuff.

Things I desperately hope will change on this 30:

1) I need my hair to stop falling out - I have PCOS, and I know from experience that drastically reducing sugars will eventually have this effect. But it's falling out at a frightening rate these days.

2) I want my skin to clear up. I don't know if it's that my skin reacts to the junk food, or if it's the insulin resistance (see: PCOS) messing up my endocrine system, but I am tired of all of this acne. It's mostly on my neck/chest/back.

3) I hope to sleep better. I'm a lifelong insomniac, but I am sure that eating a ton of junk food interrupts any hope for a normal sleep cycle. I've also had nausea and general stomach pain at night since I had an unfortunate GI anaphylaxis experience seven years ago next month. (Thought it was food poisoning at the time). The stomach pain keeps me up at night, frequently.

4) I want to boost my mood/energy. I have a history of pretty severe depression, first diagnosed and treated over 20 years ago. I feel like there is a world out there that I can't quite reach, for lack of energy - I am perpetually emotionally and physically drained. On a previous 30, I bounced into my doctor's office and told him I wanted to go off my meds because I felt so good. I want that feeling again.

And I won't lie - there is much of this that is weight/appearance related. My clothes don't fit, and I'm not happy with what I look like - at all. It's started to effect my social interactions - I don't want to socialize because I feel awful about myself. This has to stop, but more importantly, I need to cease the rotten behaviors that got me here in the first place.

I guess logging wouldn't be a bad idea.

Here I am, day 5. I'm still not sure if I want to count days. But boy, am I exhausted. Every night this week, I've crashed before finishing what I wanted to get done at home.

Since my stomach is finicky and pretty much hurts every night, I'm trying to work this 30 to front-load my meals. So more at breakfast and lunch, and a small dinner. If I've eaten right during the day, I'm generally not hungry at dinner, so it's not a problem from that standpoint.

Yesterday, not so successful with that.

M1: spicy tuna cakes (nom nom paleo - the best!); parsnip-pear soup

M2: Citrus carnitas, tahini-roasted broccoli, carrot-cardamom soup

M3:...yeah, that's a fail. Apple and almond butter because I just didn't have it in me to spend another night in the kitchen after a long and stressful day at work. And I wasn't hungry.

Water: a lot of it, but probably still not enough. With lemon.

Once I get over the carb-starving hump, then I'm almost never hungry. I'm an overeater by nature, so this is a great time for me to remember how to assess actual hunger (vs. the feeling of just wanting to eat).

Also - trying to up my probiotic intake for the stomach issues. Bottled some more home brew kombucha last night!

Archived