Call me chicken-scared of home made mayo!

Mabehr9922

Mayonnaise is one of my favorite condiments. I was considering changing my middle name to Mayo. But i have to admit, I am VERY leery about making it myself because the thought of eating uncooked eggs really scares me. Can anyome calm my fears? Or perhaps can it be made with pasturized eggs?

Guest Andria

Did you mean to say PASTURED eggs, i.e. eggs from chickens raised on pasture? Or did you mean PASTEURIZED eggs, i.e. eggs treated to reduce the risk of food borne illness?  

I eat a ton of homemade mayo and have never had a problem. I buy Vital Farms Pasture raised eggs from the grocery store.  The packaging does not state these eggs are pasteurized.

Yes, pasteurized works fine. Pastured eggs are just a suggestion/recommendation of W30, similar to the recommendation of grass-fed beef.

Think of these 2 points to potentially alleviate your concerns about the uncooked egg:

-Eggs are only refrigerated in America because they are washed, which removes a protective coating that makes the shells more vulnerable to bacteria. Eggs from a farm and eggs from other countries are not washed and are shelf stable. It wierded me out at first in France to see eggs stocked with dry goods. Also, keep in mind the egg is only being brought to room temp, which only takes a short time. The finished mayo goes right back in the fridge.

-The eggs *is* actually "cooked" IF you do the step of allowing the cracked egg and the lemon juice to come to room temp together in the jar. The citric acid in the juice cooks the egg in the same manner as shrimp ceviche! :)

(Bonus point: did you never eat raw cookie dough as a kid? ;))

It's up to you, but my understanding is that factory farming is the real reason there is such a risk of salmonella. I would rather eat eggs that did not come from that context (pastured eggs), than eat eggs that had been heat treated to kill that risk (factory farmed pasteurized eggs).

Homemade mayo is wonderful and a great way to get the creamy taste that we love. Get farm raised eggs and let the lemon juice "cook" the egg for 30 minutes...you will be fine. Now, it makes a lot of mayo and so in your planning, plan to use it up in a couple of weeks. Hers something else to make you feel better....a friend of mine raises chickens. His wife generally tends to them. This year when she got her winter coat out of the closet for the first time this seasonto go check on the chickens, she reached in her pocket and found an egg from the last time she wore her coat! She and her sons cracked it open...and it wasn't rottem...it was fine. They didn't eat it, but it was fine. I'm not advocating putting eggs on a shelf and using them over the course of a year, but using good pastured eggs should go a long way to help ease your fears. By the way, we have no clue when eggs in the grocery were actually laid!!!! Enjoy....BTW, try mayo with light EVOO and/or macadamia nut oil...delish!

• Moderators

I have never heard of anyone falling ill from eating homemade mayo that they made. I am sure it will happen, but the real risk seems to be statistically very low. And as kirkor noted, the lemon juice or apple cider vinegar "cooks" the egg in its own way.

Kikor: So you mean rather than let the egg and lemon sit on the counter until they are both room temp and then start the mayo - measure out the lemon juice and mix it with the raw egg until they combined are room temperature? (Sorry I'm all new at this!) 

Kikor: So you mean rather than let the egg and lemon sit on the counter until they are both room temp and then start the mayo - measure out the lemon juice and mix it with the raw egg until they combined are room temperature? (Sorry I'm all new at this!)

You don't stir them together. As Melissa Joulwan says, let them cuddle. I make mine with an immersion blender, and use the container that came with the blender for making mayo. Crack an egg into the container, add 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice, cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 30 minutes before adding/blending in the rest of the ingredients.

Archived