Hungry all the time

I started on 1/1/15 and I have been consistently hungry between meals. I feel like my blood sugar is dropping between meals (I get light headed, weak, and shaky), so I have to have a snack. I would feel like this even before I started, so I learned to keep snacks handy. I am usually satiated immediately after my meals, but hunger generally sets in about 2 hours later. I need some feedback as to what to do to keep being successful.

Day 1:

3 eggs cooked in olive oil, roasted potatoes, and homemade compliant mayo for dipping, coffee with coconut milk

Snack: Lara Bar and black coffee

Salad with whole romaine head, tomato, 2 baked chicken tenders, 1 hard boiled egg, 1/2 avocado, Tessa's dressing, and 2 small clementines

Snack: 1 chicken tender, 1/2 avocado, and 1 banana

Roasted pork tenderloin and turnip greens

Snack: handful of cashews

Day 2:

2 hard boiled eggs, roasted potatoes, and homemade compliant mayo for dipping, coffee with coconut milk, 1 banana

Snack: Lara bar

Roasted pork tenderloin, turnip greens, and 2 small clementines

Snack: Apple

Salad with whole romaine head, tomato, 2 baked chicken tenders, 1 hard boiled egg, 1/2 avocado, Tessa's dressing, and 2 clementines

Snack: 1 banana

• Administrators

One suggestion would be to create a mini-meal when you are needing a snack rather than having a larabar (those are approved only in the event of a food emergency) or fruit. These types of foods can spike your blood sugar and keep that "hungry every 2 hours" hormone resonse alive.

I would add to your meals if I were you, if by "chicken tender" you mean a chicken breast filet, two of them is barely half a palm of protein, you can go up to 2 palms of protein and of course you can always add more fat and veggies. Don't be scared of eating if your body is telling you it's hungry.

Also consider your water intake which isn't noted in your log but should be at about half an ounce of water per pound of body weight.

If you exercise medium to higher intensity or duration for your body and fitness level, you also need a pre and post workout meal.

Keep us posted if you make these tweaks and let us know how you're doing!

I'm struggling with hunger as well, and I can't tell if it's my body adjusting or if I'm just not eating enough. I'm on day 2. Below is what I plan as a typical day of meals.

Breakfast: two scrambled eggs with spinach and tomato, side of guacamole - I should probably increase to 3-4 eggs here, I think.

Lunch: spinach, ground beef, compliant salsa, guacamole

Dinner: chicken (or some other protein), sweet potato, veggie (usually broccoli or carrots)

If I need to, I snack on almonds, cashews, fruit. I'm not a huge fan of raw veggies yet but I'm working on it.

Thanks in advance for any help...

I'm struggling with hunger as well, and I can't tell if it's my body adjusting or if I'm just not eating enough. I'm on day 2. Below is what I plan as a typical day of meals.

Breakfast: two scrambled eggs with spinach and tomato, side of guacamole - I should probably increase to 3-4 eggs here, I think.

Lunch: spinach, ground beef, compliant salsa, guacamole

Dinner: chicken (or some other protein), sweet potato, veggie (usually broccoli or carrots)

If I need to, I snack on almonds, cashews, fruit. I'm not a huge fan of raw veggies yet but I'm working on it.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Yes, I would increase the eggs at meal 1. Aim for 1-3 cups of veggies per meal. Also, be sure you're drinking enough water, per ladyshanny's post. The recommended snack, when hungry, is a mini-meal of protein, veg and fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30.

I had a better day today. I increased my eggs from 2 to 3 at breakfast, added another hard boiled egg at lunch, and ate dinner a little earlier than usual (5:30 instead of 7). I'm still only making it 3 hours before starting to get hungry. I guess I'm scared that this hunger will get the best of me and make me fall off track.

I can do the mini meals at home, but work is another story. I work in an inpatient rehab facility at a local hospital. We have a very rigid therapy schedule, so I can't exactly step away from my patients to eat. I barely get enough time to run to the bathroom. I have to do something quick and easy, which is where the Lara bars come in handy. I'm going to try some cashews and almonds instead of Lara bars this week. I'm also going to cut down my fruit intake since my sugar dragon is a nasty butch at times. I only made it 22 days last time I tried a Whole 30. I'm determined to make it this time.

• Administrators

Perhaps a slightly personal question but something I experienced in my first Whole30. Could your hunger response be due to your fear of being without food? I kept snacks in my first Whole30 for the first 14 days because I was basically just afraid of being out of food and hours before a meal and didn't want to feel any discomfort at all. Around the 14 day mark I took the leap, made sure my meals were big enough and told myself I wouldn't die if I felt hungry and couldn't eat right away.

Just a thought.

For the snacking, can you sub out the easy-to-use larabars with hard boiled eggs or a little baggie of cooked chicken breast or some chunked up leftover steak? Maybe scotch eggs or a few meatballs? I'm of the belief that food that left the house cold is fine for the duration of the day without risk of food poisoning, but of course everyone is different.

I don't know if it is about being scared of being without food. My stomach is full on growling between meals. I try to drink some water and wait, but it keeps getting worse to the point of light headed and shaky. Hopefully increasing protein at meals will help. I guess it's just trial and error at this point.

As for the snacks you mentioned, I'm super paranoid about food poisoning for some reason. I don't know if I could trust meat left out for hours. I leave my house at 630 and usually need a snack around 9:30 or 10:00. I usually need a snack around 3:30 or 4 as well most days. It could be possible that my body is trained to snack at those times because I've been doing it for so long.

Archived