Whole30.2

GlennR

I've been fairly good about hewing close to the Whole30 template since my first Whole30 in April 2014. But I indulged over the holidays, so here comes my second Whole30.

Jan. 2, 2015 - DAY ONE

Breakfast: 3 prosciutto-wrapped egg and kale muffins (prosciutto, kale, eggs, coconut milk), 1 small purple yam, 2/3 cup of strawberries and blueberries drizzled with coconut milk, mug of coffee

Lunch: Russian salad (diced chicken, potatoes, carrots, apples, beets, and raisins mixed in homemade mayo), egg slices

Dinner: 2 bratwursts with dijon mustard, sauerkraut, cocoa-toasted cauliflower, beets

Jan. 3, 2015 - DAY TWO

Breakfast: "Breakfast of Titans" (smoked salmon, 2 eggs, and spinach scrambled together), breakfast potatoes, 2/3 cup of strawberries and blueberries drizzled with coconut milk, mug of coffee

Lunch: Russian salad (diced chicken, potatoes, carrots, apples, beets, and raisins mixed in homemade mayo), egg slices

Dinner: Coconut shrimp with tartar sauce, cocoa-toasted cauliflower, roasted green beans, small handful of mac nuts (plus a bit of fried egg made from the leftover egg batter -- can't leave anything to waste! :-)

Jan. 4, 2015 - DAY THREE

Breakfast: 3 prosciutto-wrapped egg and kale muffins (prosciutto, kale, eggs, coconut milk), fried plantain, mug of coffee

Lunch: Coconut shrimp with tartar sauce, cocoa-toasted cauliflower, 1 small purple yam, cup of coffee

Dinner: Creamy dill salmon with capers, roasted green beans, roasted carrots, 1 small apple

Some starch and sugar cravings -- not as bad as during my first Whole30.

EDIT: Add a handful of mac nuts for a late night snack.

Jan. 5, 2015 - DAY FOUR

Breakfast: 2 frittata slices (bulk sausage, kale, eggs, coconut milk), sweet potato and kale hash, 2/3 cup of strawberries and blueberries drizzled with coconut milk, mug of coffee

Lunch: Cottage pie (ground beef and cabbage with mashed potato crust), 1 small apple

Dinner: Shawarma-seasoned roasted chicken tenders, roasted green beans, 1 small purple yam, small handful of pecan pieces

Jan. 6, 2015 - DAY FIVE

Breakfast: 2 frittata slices (bulk sausage, kale, eggs, coconut milk), strawberry and spinach salad (with pecan pieces and balsamic dressing), mug of coffee

Lunch: Cottage pie (ground beef and cabbage with mashed potato crust), 1 small apple

Dinner (at a steakhouse with family -- no compliant dishes available except for the salad buffet): 3 plates of veggies (carrots, cucumber, leafy greens, red cabbage, broccoli, etc.) with balsamic dressing I brought with me, 1/2 plate of pineapple and honeydew melon; afterwards, I had shawarma-seasoned roasted chicken tenders for protein, and a small cup of coffee

Late night: Small handful of mac nuts

Jan. 7, 2015 - DAY SIX

Breakfast: 2 frittata slices (bulk sausage, kale, eggs, coconut milk), sweet potato and kale hash, 2/3 cup of blueberries drizzled with coconut milk, mug of coffee

Lunch: Shawarma-seasoned roasted chicken tenders, roasted green beans, roasted carrots

Dinner: 2 lamb loin chops, roasted garlicky broccoli, fried plantain

Jan. 8, 2015 - DAY SEVEN

Breakfast: 2-egg omelette with chopped chicken apple sausage, roasted garlicky broccoli, slice of papaya, mug of coffee

Afternoon: Green tea

Early evening: Handful of mac nuts

Dinner: 2 lamb loin chops, stir-fried kale and spinach, mashed purple yam and turnip

Ann...figure out ahead f time where you will have breakfast, check out their menu.. Scrambled eggs and veggies ought to be easy to find... Or have brekkie at home, and just have coffee with her at the restaurant. The highlight will be to spend quality time with niece, not really the eating part :)

Jan. 9, 2015 - DAY EIGHT

Breakfast: 2-egg omelette with chopped chicken apple sausage, mashed purple yam and turnip, slice of papaya, mug of coffee

Lunch: 2 frittata slices (bulk sausage, kale, eggs, coconut milk), roasted garlicky broccoli, 1 small apple

Dinner: 2 bratwursts with dijon mustard, sauerkraut, roasted green beans, fried plantain

EDIT: Add a handful of mac nuts for a late night snack.

2 bratwursts with dijon mustard, sauerkraut

Reading this right now made me crave bratwurst and sauerkraut, and I"m not even hungry (just had dinner).  I have brats and sauerkraut in my fridge (hooray!), maybe I'll have some for breakfast?!? 

Reading this right now made me crave bratwurst and sauerkraut, and I"m not even hungry (just had dinner).  I have brats and sauerkraut in my fridge (hooray!), maybe I'll have some for breakfast?!? 

I always have brats on hand in the freezer -- easy, delicious protein.

Jan. 10, 2015 - DAY NINE

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs over sweet potato hash, mini chicken apple sausages, 1 1/2 slices of papaya, mug of coffee

Lunch: 2 bratwursts with dijon mustard, sauerkraut, roasted green beans, fried plantain, mug of coffee

Dinner: 2 pan-roasted chicken thighs, roasted green beans, roasted cauliflower, 2/3 cup of raspberries and blueberries drizzled with coconut milk

Jan. 11, 2015 - DAY TEN

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs over sweet potato hash, mini chicken apple sausages, 1/2 cup of raspberries and blueberries drizzled with coconut milk, mug of coffee

Lunch: 2 pan-roasted chicken thighs, big bowl of salad (leafy greens, shredded carrot, shredded red cabbage, and pecan pieces with balsamic dressing), 1/2 cup of cubed papaya drizzled with coconut milk

Dinner: 3 salmon cakes (salmon, eggs, sweet potato, almond flour) with tartar sauce, roasted garlicky mushrooms, roasted cauliflower

A third of the way through and I've been cruising more or less. None of the drama of my first Whole30 -- neither the highs nor the lows. Which is sad, in a way: despite the difficulties, my first Whole30 was a month of unbridled joy. I sort of miss that. However, I've been eating this way for over nine months now, with just minor offroading and a nine-day indulgence during the holidays. By now this diet is my routine. Other than a bit of craving about three days into this round, and finding a need to adjust my protein and fat intake (I've gotten hungry several times between meals or late at night), all is going well.

But this is good, too. It's a poor journey that is all ascent; time must also be spent on the long trudge on the plain. It all counts.

Jan. 12, 2015 - DAY ELEVEN

Breakfast: Smoked salmon egg bake (smoked salmon, eggs, broccoli, green onions, coconut milk), breakfast potatoes, 1/2 cup of raspberries and blueberries drizzled with coconut milk, mug of coffee

Lunch: Kalua pig sautéed with shredded cabbage, fried plantain, slice of papaya

Dinner: 2 bacon burgers (ground beef, minced bacon, minced cremini mushrooms), roasted garlicky mushrooms, roasted cauliflower

• Whole30 Certified Coach

That lox omelette sounds good.  I've been craving lox but without the cream cheese I don't want to spend $20/lb on them (though it does seem silly that the cream cheese is what I needed to *enjoy* the $20/lb food item!) As a NYer it might be terrible to say, but I do not miss the bagel, just the cream cheese :)

Jan. 13, 2015 - DAY TWELVE

Breakfast: Smoked salmon egg bake (smoked salmon, eggs, broccoli, green onions, coconut milk), breakfast potatoes, 1/2 cup of raspberries and blueberries drizzled with coconut milk, mug of coffee

Lunch: 3 salmon cakes (salmon, eggs, sweet potato, almond flour) with tartar sauce, big bowl of salad (leafy greens, shredded carrot, shredded red cabbage, and pecan pieces with balsamic dressing), 1/2 cup of cubed papaya drizzled with coconut milk

Dinner: Kalua pig sautéed with shredded cabbage, fried plantain

Jan. 14, 2015 - DAY THIRTEEN

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs over sweet potato hash, mini chicken apple sausages, roasted cauliflower, 1/2 cup of raspberries and blueberries drizzled with coconut milk, mug of coffee

Lunch: 2 bacon burgers (ground beef, minced bacon, minced cremini mushrooms), salad (leafy greens, shredded carrot, shredded red cabbage, and pecan pieces with guacamole), 1 small purple yam

Dinner: Pork tenderloin medallions, roasted Brussels sprouts with pork bits, 1 small apple

My food dreams are getting meta:

I dreamed I unthinkingly ate a slice of cake, and when I realized I had gone off-plan, I was so upset. Then I woke up and realized it was a dream, and felt so relieved; I was still on track for my Whole30. Then I woke up and realized that that was a dream, and felt wha -- ?

I like it when things start getting goofy.

Jan. 15, 2015 - DAY FOURTEEN

Breakfast: Smoked salmon egg bake (smoked salmon, eggs, broccoli, green onions, coconut milk), sweet potato and kale hash, 1/2 cup of blueberries drizzled with coconut milk, mug of coffee

Lunch: 2 bacon burgers (ground beef, minced bacon, minced cremini mushrooms), salad (leafy greens, shredded carrot, shredded red cabbage, and pecan pieces with guacamole), 1 small purple yam

Dinner: Handful of mac nuts while making dinner; pork tenderloin medallions, roasted vegetable medley (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini), roasted Brussels sprouts with pork bits, 1 small apple

Jan. 16, 2015 - DAY FIFTEEN

Breakfast: Smoked salmon egg bake (smoked salmon, eggs, broccoli, green onions, coconut milk), sweet potato and kale hash, 1/2 cup of blueberries drizzled with coconut milk, mug of coffee

Lunch: 3 salmon cakes (salmon, eggs, sweet potato, almond flour) with tartar sauce, roasted vegetable medley (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini), salad (leafy greens, shredded carrot, shredded red cabbage, and pecan pieces with balsamic dressing)

Afternoon: Coffee

Dinner: Pork tenderloin medallions, roasted Brussels sprouts with pork bits, 1 small purple yam

Jan. 17, 2015 - DAY SIXTEEN

Breakfast: 1 bacon burger (ground beef, minced bacon, minced cremini mushrooms), 2 scrambled eggs, sweet potato and kale hash, 2/3 cup of raspberries and blueberries drizzled with coconut milk, mug of coffee

Lunch: Kalua pig sautéed with shredded cabbage, fried plantain

Dinner: Sirloin steak, roasted Brussels sprouts with pork bits, roasted vegetable medley (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini), 1 small apple

Archived