Eggplant

jennrider

I bought some eggplant and usually bake/saute it in olive oil with salt. Does anyone have a recipe? I have not found a use for leftover eggplant. It always tastes mushy to me when reheated. Thought about throwing it into the freezer (after cooking) and then putting it into soup when I am ready to make it. Thoughts?

I like to make an eggplant dip that I used to eat with crusty bread, but use for veggies now.

Slice the eggplant in half and drizzle with olive oil and salt, then roast in the oven until tender.

Let it cool, the scrape it out of the shell onto a cutting board and finely chop it-until it's almost mushy.

Add finely diced red onion, garlic, parsley and salt & pepper and drizzle with a little more olive oil.

Yum.

You can also roast the red onion & garlic for a smoother taste. A little crushed red pepper is nice too.

Enjoy!

This is a great eggplant/mixed veggie dish. I often do it with eggplant. It's so easy even the cooking impaired can pull this one off:

ROASTED SHAWARMA VEGETABLES

This dish is incredibly easy to pull together and is exceptionally good with charcoal grilled meats. It's delicious with grilled beef or lamb. I have even been known to cook the veggies in a grilling basket right on the grill with the meat! It's even BETTER that way! This dish always elicits a thumbs up from diners. Induction friendly recipe. If you have leftovers, I often cut up any grilled meats and toss it right in the vegetables for lunch the next day. This is one of those dishes that gets better every time you reheat it!

INGREDIENTS:

1 medium yellow squash cut in 1″ chunks (or zucchini is OK)

1 small eggplant (about 10-12 oz) cut in ½â€ slices, then cut those in quarters

4 plum tomatoes, cut into quarters

1 green, yellow or orange bell pepper, seeded and cut in 1″ chunks

1 red bell pepper seeded and cut in 1″ chunks

1 purple onion cut into ½â€ wedges, layers separated

12 cloves garlic (entire bulb, cloves peeled but left whole)

2 T. Shawarma Spice Blend: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/07/13/shawarma-spice-blend/

¼ tsp. each salt & black pepper (opt.)

Splash of olive oil (about 2 T., or more if your feeling decadent)

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 450º. Cut up all veggies as stated above and place in large mixing bowl. Drizzle olive oil over all and stir well to coat all veggies with oil and seasonings. Toss to try and coat all veggies with oil. Pour into glass casserole pan and bake at 450º for 30-40 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes.

Makes 6 Servings

• 9 months later...

Archived