Nausea & Vomiting? Day 3 of Whole30

Hey guys. I started doing the Whole 30 January 1st. So far, its been going well, no complaints about eating or anything, but this morning I woke up feeling super nauseas & had a headache. I tried just sitting on the couch for bit, and then out of nowhere I felt the need to barf and I rushed to the bathroom. I feel a lot better now, though. But I just want to see if this has happened to anyone else or what the cause of this might be. (I just ended my period so, definitely not morning sickness, fyi.)

Any insights or advice would be very helpful!

Thanks,

Rachel

I'm also starting Day 3. I have been feeling lethargic, achy and moody. I haven't been sleeping well, either. I had a slight headache last night, but I haven't felt nauseated. I've read that the first three days of detox are the worst. I'm hanging in there, though. My biggest challenge has been not having a glass of wine every evening. I've been drinking a lot of sparkling water with lemon or lime in a wine glass. It seems to satisfy my need to have a wine glass in my hand, especially while cooking. Hang in there. Maybe the worst is nearly over.

• Moderators

My husband felt very sick on Day 3 or 4 his first Whole30. He wasn't eating nearly enough fat, and his diet before included lots of carbs - yogurt twice a day, 4 servings of fruit per day, oatmeal and so-called healthy snack bars. When he skimped on fat his body rebelled!

The good news: This will pass. Have a sweet potato and make sure you're eating the amount of fat at every meal as suggested by the Meal Template: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Thanks for the comments! I was a pretty healthy eater before starting, but going through the holidays messed everything up. I probably gained like 10 lbs. and I felt sluggish and ill. I woke up today feeling much better! I had a migrane that lasted all day yesterday but went away in the evening. I just made sure I drank a ton of water, tea, and kept up with the Whole30 plan. I hope thats the last of the physical withdrawal symptoms!  Even if there are more coming, I'm glad I'm doing this. So far, this feels like something I've been unknowingly been putting off for years. 

Thanks again for the advice and encouragement, folks.

Hi Rachel. I'm on day 4 and just had the same issue. Woke up, had tea, started breakfast, got dizzy, sat down, then threw up. Not pleasant but then I felt ok. Hoping it was just detox like everyone here has suggested.

Good luck y'all!

Jessica

Hey all - I'm in the Day 4 nauseated club... Had no desire to eat breakfast, but forced it down (2 fried eggs & 1/4 avocado). Felt really ill afterwards, and couldn't eat again until 4 pm (leftover lamb tagine & 1/4 acorn squash). That sat in my tummy ok, but felt nauseated again about 2 hrs later. After reading some posts elsewhere (http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/154-nausea-a-side-effect/), I tried the sweet potato thing with some ghee & cinnamon -- helped a little, but I'm still not feeling so hot. I've also felt generally tired/lethargic today.

I've been Paleo/primal for the past 2 years, but fell off the wagon the latter part of this year (lots of international travel for work, and the holidays...). This is my 3rd W30, so I thought I knew what to expect, but I guess I'm learning it's different every time! For example, I haven't had a lot of the crankiness/headache/fog/malaise I had my first time around... but I've never experienced this nausea/fatigue thing. 

I know I didn't eat enough today, but I really couldn't bring myself to eat any more than I did. Hoping this passes soon!

Yesterday was day 4 for me too, and I had a headache for part of it. It lasted until I made myself a big lunch. Tons of veggies (including sweet potato with I think helped), chicken seared in fresh garlic and ginger, and tons of water and tea. My headache was gone in an hour and I felt pretty good. I decided to do some Yoga for the first time since starting the whole 30, and I couldn't believe how much easier it was now that I'm eating this way. I was never eating this way for the physical performance, but now I see why people do. I'm hoping I'm out of the newbie nausea club now :)

Day 4/5 over here (accidentally had some stevia/dextrose on the first day). The nausea hit me on my way home from work this evening like a truck. I tried the sweet potato thing, and it helped to the point that I was able to eat all of a chicken salad for dinner (figured something light-ish would be best). Feeling better now, but I'm dreading this if it happens tomorrow.

Could this have something to also do with a lack of starchy vegetables or simply not eating enough? Or is this my body detoxing from the stuff I ate/drank on New Years Eve? Both?

This thread has been very helpful for me! I also felt really crummy yesterday (Day 4 of my Whoel30), with a bad headache and I actually ended up throwing up at the end of the day! I think for me it was partially due to the fact that I hadn't eaten enough because I have done the Whole30 before and not had these side effects. Today I packed a better breakfast and have a better lunch planned, so I hope I'll be okay. 

I am on day 9 and just had to give it up. I have been sick to my stomach and throwing up since day 1. Most people told me I was probably sick and it would pass. Ended up at doctor on Sunday with sinus infection. Felt worse today and any food I look at makes me sick other than fruit. Ran blood and urine today and am extremely dehydrated. Antibiotics and pedilyte. And since pedilyte is non compliant I'm done. I also made a sandwich for lunch to get food in me and it went down and stayed down fine. Thinking of veggies and meat still makes me want to cry!

I'm super disappointed but doctor said if I don't get my counts up Thursday I'll be in the hospital. I feel for all of you that are nauseous and glad to see others similar bc I felt like it wasn't "normal".

Hope the rest of you stay healthy. Drink lots!!

• Administrators

HI Shelly, so sorry to hear that you are so ill.  Your extreme nausea for 9 days is not a normal reaction of the Whole30.  It's disappointing for sure that you weren't able to carry on with your Whole30 but not the end of the world.  Perhaps after you've recovered from your sinus infection, you could ease into Whole30 style eating if it's still something you eventually want to carry through with?

Rest well!

• 4 weeks later...

Helpful to read through these postings. I'm on day 2 of Whole 30 and have had nausea all day, along with vomiting twice.  :(   I wasn't sure if it was a common side effect, but I'm glad to read that it is.  I'm glad to read that it's typically short-lived and I should be feeling a bit better tomorrow or the next day (hopefully)!  One thing I believe threw my day off was waiting too long to eat breakfast (after I woke up) this morning. 

• 6 months later...

Glad to read that this nausea thing is semi normal. I'm on day 6 and today I woke up feeling like I was going to vomit at the site of food, especially protein.

I went straight to a 2 hour hot yoga class and after had to force myself to eat a palm sized turkey burger made with grated squash and about a cup of steamed cauliflower, broccoli and zucchini. (This was at 11).

I haven't been able to eat since, I tried to stomach a piece of chicken but couldn't even look at it without feeling sick.

I have some bone broth at home so when I get home from work I think I'll try bone broth and some sweet potato boooo hate this feeling. Hopefully this too shall pass.

• 7 months later...

I feel a lot less concerned having had the opportunity to read this. I'm on day 3 and had to leave work early because of the inane nausea. Just forced down a kale and avocado salad and plan to hit the sweet potato. I can't take many more days like this or I will have to stop.

• Moderators

I feel a lot less concerned having had the opportunity to read this. I'm on day 3 and had to leave work early because of the inane nausea. Just forced down a kale and avocado salad and plan to hit the sweet potato. I can't take many more days like this or I will have to stop.

You got good advice in the other thread but you are in full control of making the nausea go away...try some scrambled eggs, ground chicken, salmon cakes, egg salad... some sort of protein and fat that are easily digested.  To continue not eating proper portions will exacerbate what's going on.

If you have access to make or buy bone broth, that would be really helpful in settling your stomach too but really, the key is that you need to eat.  I would feel sicker than sick if I ate for three days only what you've been eating...

Archived