Potatoes!!

eatprayrun

I am new to Whole30 and have been trying to read up as much as I can but it's been crazy over the Holidays! I started whole30 on the 1st and for some reason was under the impression that the only potatoes I could have were sweeet potatoes! I just read last night in a whole30 questions and answers section on here that we can have ANY kind of potato! I am so excited! I know I can't go crazy and be eating potatoes 3x a day, but this does make my life seem so much easier now:) Deep of potatoes over here :) Boiled, baked, fried, seasoned - I love them all :) It was a good reminder to me to keep reading and researching, because who knows what else I have missed that I can or can't have! 

• Moderators

I did my first Whole30 when white potatoes were not allowed. While it did make it more challenging to eat out, I am glad it was that way because I tried new veggies like turnips and rutabaga. Fell head over heels for rutabaga! We now shred a huge one every Sunday for quick breakfast hash during the week. Also very good added to mashed potatoes + parsnip blend or as a sub for white potatoes in stews.

Edited to add: just be sure as you noted above to include a variety of veggies. Especially greens!

And welcome! :)

Thanks! And what great suggestions - can't wait to try the rutabaga idea!! Definitely love the way Whole30 is already opening me up to new foods! Bought pomegranates yesterday and absolutely loved them!! Can't wait to try a few veggies I don't normally buy! 

• 5 weeks later...

I am astounded- and happy. :)   When we did the whole30 last year my son especially was saddened by the overabundance of cauliflower and lack of potatoes in my pots ;)  LOL....  and my husband just listened to the book and said, hey- how come you made us give up potatoes last year, it says they are fine.  I WAS SO CONFUSED...and still am really.  So why did this change???

I am astounded- and happy. :)   When we did the whole30 last year my son especially was saddened by the overabundance of cauliflower and lack of potatoes in my pots ;)  LOL....  and my husband just listened to the book and said, hey- how come you made us give up potatoes last year, it says they are fine.  I WAS SO CONFUSED...and still am really.  So why did this change???

Details here: http://whole30.com/2014/07/new-whole30/

Here's the post: http://whole30.com/2014/07/new-whole30/

In short, they were originally out because, for a lot of people, they're easy to overeat on and can be a trigger food. However, lots of Whole 30 approved foods (like nuts and dates) are just as big a trigger. The ban on white potatoes wasn't about the food itself, but potential for abuse and this was inconsistent with the rationale for the program.

Archived