My First Whole30

Madelyn

I am beginning my first Whole30 Monday, January 5, 2015.  I have a couple more weeks of Winter break before my semester begins so I think this will help me to get going and into a routine with my Whole30 before I'm back in school!  I am excited for the challenge and looking forward to the positive changes I see in my health and my body.  

Yesterday was the first day of my Whole30 and it went well!  It was fun taking the time to actually prepare my own meals rather than going to a restaurant and having no involvement in the food prep process.  My older and younger sister are both doing this program with me and my boyfriend and his brother are cleaning up their eating habits; however, they are still consuming grains and dairy in small amounts.  I completed my normal CrossFit workout yesterday morning and a hot yoga class in the evening and felt that I had a normal amount of energy for both.  At no point during the day did I feel hungry or have the munchies that I usually do — crazy how a well balanced meal actually holds you over until the next.  I had a small headache by the time I went to bed but I was expecting that.  I'm about to make my Meal 1 for today and see how Day 2 plays out.  

Day 2 was a success.  I had a great Meal 1 & Meal 2 and did not snack throughout the day.  Every Tuesday I eat dinner with my family at my grandparent's house so I was a little bit nervous about how Meal 3 would work.  My dad had informed my grandmother about the Whole30 and the basic guidelines so she prepared a completely compliant dinner!  In addition to the healthy food she prepared, there was also potato salad, baked beans, and my favorite pound cake - all of which I avoided. I was happy with my ability to eat on my plan while in a challenging setting.  I feel like now that I have the first Tuesday dinner done it will be easier and easier every week to stick to my plan and avoid the temptations!  

Yesterday, Day 3, was a challenge all together.  I made eggs, ground beef, veggies, and avocado (what I also had Day 1 & Day 2) for Meal 1 and actually found myself disinterested in the meal.  I am beginning to realize how important to change it up at meal time in order to not grow tired of one type of food.  I had a mid day 3.5 hour road trip yesterday so I ate Meal 2 right before I left to prevent snacking while on the road.  I stopped to use the restroom at a gas station and actually had to laugh.  I walked through the aisles of chips, candy, and other processed foods that I would normally stock up on for any road trip and realized how horrible they really are.  It is completely insane that these are the foods that are most readily available in our society.  I made it through the road trip without any snacking (I had packed nuts & coconut flakes in case I needed a little boost), but I just drank my water kept myself busy along the way.  Once I arrived I was ready for Meal 3, but had some work to do before I could go to the grocery store and grab some ingredients for dinner.  Once I got to the store I was "starving" and not in the best of moods.  My boyfriend and I picked up the produce we needed first and then some meat for the meal.  As we walked through the bakery I was overwhelmed with cravings.  Being next to coffeecake with an empty stomach was a dangerous situation!! I made it out safe, but can't say I enjoyed seeing all of those "delicious" foods and not eating any.  Good news is, I survived and am now one Meal into Day 4!  Planning on making some Paleo crockpot chili today to stay warm in this chilly weather!! 

Day 4 went well!  Changed it up for breakfast this morning with leftover fajita meat, a fried egg, avocado, and some asparagus (random, but it sounded & tasted delicious!).  I made an avocado chicken salad mix for Meal 2 from a recipe my sister, who is also doing a Whole30 sent me.  It has been great having a partner in crime throughout this!  I also made a crockpot full of Paleo chili earlier in the day that was perfect for Meal 3.  I'm looking forward to having leftover chicken salad and chili tomorrow.  I have gone to CrossFit all 4 days of my challenge and I have felt great throughout all of my workouts.  I was worried about not having enough energy, but I'm feeling just fine!  

Days 5 & 6 are in the books!  Both went well.  I made fajitas again tonight for my boyfriend and some of his friends.  I just stuck with the meat, veggies, & guac, but made them rice and beans.  While I was packing up the leftover rice my mouth literally started watering!! I never thought it would be possible to want one bite of rice so badly.  I quickly put it away and moved on to the dishes  :o  Can't believe tomorrow will be 7 days into the Whole30, it's really flying by.  I'm feeling great and really enjoying all of the delicious & healthy food I'm eating.  

Archived