Emily's Whole30 Log

elrochy

It's time to really start this. I've been wanting to start Whole30 for the last couple months, since a friend of mine did it with great success.  I've just been holding out to get through the holidays.  So.  It's time.  I'm very excited to see how my body responds to a new way of eating, and particularly interested to see how my relationship with food changes.  I've been a chubby kid with foods issues for as long as I can remember.  Bad habits began early, I suppose.  I've also suffered from a horrible skin allergy for the last few years that requires me to take allergy meds every day, lest I itch uncontrollably and welt all over.

So.  I will be updating this log every day.  No exceptions, no excuses.    Here goes nothing.

Day 1.  Generally a success, but I'm already having my "sugar detox" headache.  Although it might also be a "first day back at work after the holidays, and I've only worked 2 days in the last 2 weeks" kind of headache.  Also waking up at 4:50 this morning to work out led to a tougher day.  As a note, most of my dinner recipes are coming from the E-meals Paleo plan.  We've been doing e-meals for a couple years, but never Paleo.  So far so good!  And I can cook enough for a family, and have left overs for lunch the next day.

Breakfast:  2 eggs and ground pork with a spice mix (it tastes just like breakfast sausage!)

Lunch:  Leftovers from last night -- a filet of salmon with italian seasoning, roasted beets, and roasted broccoli slaw (also with Italian seasoning).

Snack:  8 oz of sliced carrots and a few roasted pecans.

Dinner: Ground beef and cauliflower, cooked in a chicken broth, arrowroot, and coconut aminos sauce.  Side of broccoli slaw with a almond butter sauce (almond butter, rice vinegar, coconut aminos, coconut oil, lime juice).

I may have a banana or apple with some almond butter or sunflower butter later, because YUM!

Day 2.  I feel GREAT today.  I was expecting to hit the detox wall today, but I haven't...yet.  I'm sure it'll hit me tomorrow, but I was truly expecting to feel headachy and tired today.  I plan on going to boot camp in the morning, so we'll what kind of energy I have there.  

I've also realized that I truly enjoy elimination diets over portion control and calorie counting.  Calorie counting is exhausting and it is SO refreshing to worry less about fats and calories and more on just eating the right foods. I've been tracking my food, just so I can remember everything I've had throughout the day, and I've realized that, even though I'm eating a ton and not paying attention to calories and fat, etc., I am staying well within healthy weight loss limits just because I'm no longer eating a bunch of empty calories.

On the menu for today:

Breakfast:  same as yesterday -- 2 eggs and pork sausage

Mid-morning snack: A handful of mixed berries (blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries), coffee with a splash of coconut milk (yesterday was a coconut milk disaster -- i didn't realize that some coconut milks separate and look lumpy.  It tastes fine and isn't bad for you, but it surely doesn't look appetizing and it doesn't have as creamy of a taste. If this is ever a problem for you, get the Thai Kitchen coconut milk.  It won't look curdled and gross!!  And it's totally worth the few cents extra)

Lunch: Left-overs from yesterday.  Ground beef with cauliflower and water chestnuts, and an asian cole slaw with broccoli slaw and almond butter sauce.

Mid-afternoon snack: One apple with 2 tablespoons of almond butter

Dinner:  Cajun shredded beef with onions and carrots, prepared in the slow-cooker.  And a (generous) portion of yellow squash and onions sautéed in coconut oil.

Day 3!  Again, feeling absurdly great.  I keep expecting the crash, but it has yet to happen.  I feel like I must be sleep-eating things that are off-limits or something.  Boot camp was easier today than it was on Monday, Day 1, which was also entirely unexpected.

On the menu today:

Breakfast: Same as the last couple of days.  2 eggs and sausage

Mid-morning snack: A handfl of strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries

Lunch:  And THIS was the challenge -- my fist "eating out" experience.  A chicken caesar salad from Corner Bakery, minus the dressing, cheese, and croutons.  I brought my own dressing (red wine vinegar, olive oil, and dijon mustard).  It was a success, although not very filling, so as soon as I got back to the office, I grabbed a bag of carrots.

Afternoon snack: Sliced red bell pepper.  Turns out this is kind of sweet, so it actually satisfies my sweet tooth a bit.

Before dinner snack (because i was starving and my husband was working late) -- i tried some pumpkin seeds, but they were too salty, so i had a small handful of cashews.

Dinner:  Sweet potato hash, sautéed in coconut oil, with onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, and the left-over shredded beef from last night's meal.

I have been in a constant state of eating ALL day, but with that dinner, I feel full for the first time in hours.  What a relief  :)

Yikes - I have been bad about logging, but I swear, I've been following Whole30 to a "T."  So, now for some late posting.  Luckily, I'm tracking my meals in myfitnesspal, so I can remember what I had each day.

Day 4 (Thursday): 

Still feeling great.  Really zero problems with my energy.  I've started to wonder whether this whole thing is even working for my body, but I have to remind myself that everyone is different, and some people don't go through the "hangover."  Every once in a while, I feel a little stiff/sore in the neck, just at the base of my skull, but if that's the only malaise I feel, then bring it.

Breakfast:  2 eggs and some leftover sweet potato hash from last night's dinner.

Mid-morning snack: Strawberries, Blackberries, and Raspberries

Lunch:  The last of the ground beef and cauliflower  and asian broccoli slaw.

Afternoon snack:  a bag of sliced carrots (I think I may start to turn orange with all the carrots I've been eating.  No really -- I've seen it happen.)

Dinner:  Chicken fajitas with bell pepper and onion and salad with arugula, jicama, avocado, and homemade dijon vinaigrette.  I'm not a huge fan of chicken, in general.  I find it very dissatisfying.  I had to resist the (albeit slight) urge to snack on something after dinner.

Day 5 (Friday):  Also feeling great today.  I even forced myself to workout in my living room even though my usual friday morning boot camp was canceled due to weather.  It would have been so easy to climb back in bed at 6am for another hour or so.

Breakfast:  Same as yesterday -- 2 eggs and leftover sweet potato hash

Lunch: First experience with commercial Mexican food, and, might I say, Nailed it!  Went to pappasitos to welcome a new colleague.  I had the beef fajitas, with ONLY the stuff that comes in the skillet (fajita meat, onions, bell pepper, jalapeno).  Also asked for a side of sliced avocado.  The table also got some table-side guacamole, which I happily ate with a fork instead of an entire basket of chips.

Afternoon (evening??) snack:  Husband was very late home, so I had to eat something or I'd go crazy.  Had a handful of cashews and some coconut chips.

Dinner:  Italian turkey, with onions, balsamic vinegar, garlic, and italian seasoning, wrapped in steamed cabbage leaves.  Side salad of spring mix with dijon vinaigrette.

And that's that!  I think the hangover may be finally hitting me as I write this on the morning of Day 6.  That slight headache at the base of my skull is a bit worse, and I'm starting to feel a proper headache just above the eyes.  Hooray.  I'm hoping I just have to drink more water (since I didn't drink as much last night as I usually do) and try to get some electrolytes.  Too bad vitamin water is off the table.

I never have been good at blogging.  Even in the long-ago days of livejournal when I thought I was emo enough to think that everyone needed to share in my teen/young adult angst.  So, naturally, I forgot to log days 6 and 7.  So here goes:

Day 6: As predicted in my post from Saturday morning, I officially reached the "hangover" phase on Day 6.  It was actually the perfect day for it to happen -- I didn't need to work and it was so disgusting out that all I wanted to do was sit on the couch and watch TV all day anyway.  But the lack of focus was astonishing.  It took me ages just to do some very light grocery shopping because I kept having to back track and revisit aisles I had just been in.  My body also rebelled against me at boot camp that morning, refusing to actually try hard at anything.  It didn't help that it was in the 30s, which is about as close to siberia as Texas ever gets.

To eat:

Breakfast: Monkey salad - bananas, cashews, coconut chips and cinnamon

Lunch:  I made my first home-made paleo mayo!  And boy is it delicious.  I cooked 3 chicken breasts and made a giant chicken salad with said mayo, grapes, and walnuts.  I also bought some bib lettuce, so I was able to make little wraps.  Top it off with a couple spoons of Whole Foods cashew butter, and I was in heaven.

Dinner:  Chicken Tikka Masala.  This was delicious, and made so much that I'll probably still be having it for lunch tomorrow!  Also, cauliflower rice.  For a little dessert, I had an apple with some cashew butter.  I basically at cashews...ALL DAY.

Day 7:  Hangover is gone, thank goodness.  I woke up with a very slight headache, but it went away and I had pretty decent energy for the rest of the day.

Breakfast:  Monkey salad, again.  Because, it's delicious!

Lunch:  Went to another Whole30 friend's house for a paleo brunch.  We had eggs, bacon (no sugar added), pork sausage (also perfectly paleo), spinach, and fruit salad.  And plenty of coffee, with almond milk.

Snack:  A back of sliced carrots.  I notice that my afternoon hunger is really getting much better.

Dinner:  Leftover chicken tikka masala and cauliflower rice.

My typical habit of craving dessert after dinner is gone.  This had always been my one "this is how I won't binge" treat.  Even a less unhealthy (e.g., skinny cow ice cream cone) I was convinced would help keep me in line and not feeling deprived.  Well, I'm not having those now, and I surely am not feeling deprived.

The only other thing I'm noticing is that this diet is starting to mess with my hormones again.  If any men are reading this, feel free to stop reading now, because this may become a little cringe-worthy.  But I would be interested to hear if any other women have had instances of break-through bleeding (particularly if on BC) during the first couple weeks of changing their diet.  I did a bit of research on this, and found some blogs where people have discussed this.  It does not seem to be an uncommon problem.  It seems that not only can a change in diet just mess with your hormones, but burning fat will actually release estrogen that is stored in the fast cells into the bloodstream.  I am going to see how/whether things level out over the next couple of months.

Day 8:

Officially past one full week!  And this has really just been so easy.  I feel like this surely isn't a lazy girl's diet (although maybe someone has figured that out), but if I can keep myself motivated to keep cooking every night, and taking my leftovers for lunch the next day, I don't see why this isn't sustainable for well after 30 days.  My bank account seems to agree with the Whole30, too, and is thankful that I've stopped buying lunch out every day!  Not to mention actually spending less on groceries, because we're not buying bags and boxes of processed food that are more expensive than they're worth.

Now for the meals:

Breakfast: an egg, 2 slices of no-sugar bacon, and a 2 oz patty of Whole Foods 365 mild pork sausage

Lunch: Left over chicken tikka masala with cauliflower rice.  I'm pretty ready for these leftovers to be gone...I have one more day's worth.  No sense in good food going to waste.

Dinner: Beef filet mignon (our little bit of a splurge this week) with garlic salt and herbes de provence, with sweet potato hash browns and sliced avocado.

I really feel like my hunger is under control.  As you can see, I didn't snack all day today.  Maybe I should have, just go make sure I was getting enough food, but I really wasn't hungry.  This is a vast change from last week, when I felt ravenously hungry as my body started getting used to not eating carbs.

Day 9:

I started to hit a bit of fatigue on Day 9.  But I'm going to blame most of that on the fact that one of the 2 meat options when the firm ordered in BBQ was smoked turkey.  Tryptophan FTW!!  I also may have had a slight cheat, having some commercial Italian dressing that definitely was made with canola oil, and possibly would have had some corn syrup added.  It's hard to tell as everyone makes theirs differently.  But if 2 Tbsp of italian dressing is the only "cheat" I have during this whole thing, I think I'm doing pretty damn well.

Breakfast:  2 pieces of no-sugar bacon and 2 eggs

Lunch: Some brisket and smoked turkey (no sauce, which was very, very, VERY sad) and salad with italian dressing.  I was still pretty hungry after that, so I went back to my office and had a banana with cashew butter.  This meal was also my first real test of craving foods I couldn't have.  I mean, almost the point of bargaining with myself to try a slice of the delicious key-lime pie my colleague was eating right next to me.  I couldn't help but wonder if this strong craving was some sort of reaction, of sorts, to the dressing.  If it did have sugar in it, then my body got its first taste of that in almost 10 days.  Not sure how quickly your body starts to react to that sort of stuff, or how much of it you need to start the "I want more!" cycle, but that was one thought I had.

Dinner:  I tried my hand at the Well-Fed Chicken Pad Thai (http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/05/08/paleo-pad-thai/).  We doubled the recipe, to be sure we'd have plenty of leftovers (sure enough, I have an easy lunch today and dinner tonight).  Although I pretty much destroyed my kitchen in the process, I agree with my husband that it was worth all the trouble.  So delicious.  Although next time I will add a bit less sauce, as it was drowning in it just a little.

I do think that I seem to be dreaming more, and having weirder dreams.  But I think it's also more that I'm getting better sleep, and having a more regulated sleep cycle, and therefore I'm remembering my dreams more (and let's face it, dreams are already pretty weird).  Luckily, I don't think I'm dreaming about food anymore.

Day 10 and 11 (and 12): Keeping up with this log is harder than I thought.  Between work and then the HOURS it seems I spend cooking, doing dishes, and just taking down/putting up my food processor (damn that thing is heavy), who can find the time?!

Things are going well! I'm still sticking with it and powering through.  I haven't had any crazy cravings yet, and everything still seems pretty easy.  I'm starting to get tired, though.  I know that at some point you hit a point of fatigue before your body starts catching up to the new diet.  I think I'm starting to hit that.  I just can't be bothered to wake up any earlier than I absolutely have to.  I did force myself to go to the gym last night, although I did the stationary bike, which I feel is one of the laziest things you can do at the gym.  Even when the resistance is turned up a good amount.

So, now for the food.

Day 10:

Breakfast: 2 eggs and some Whole Foods 365 Pork Sausage and a quarter of an avocado

Mid-morning snack: I had a "blueberry muffin" Larabar.  Holy crap, how I have not discovered these things earlier?! They're DELICIOUS.

Lunch and Dinner:   Leftover Chicken Pad Thai.  Luckily this stuff reheats well... because that's also what I had for dinner.  At least I didn't need to destroy my kitchen a second night in a row.  Except, oh right, I totally did that anyway.  Because even when I'm not cooking, I think "Hey, you haven't made mayo in 3 days...you should do that so you can make some tasty dressing for your salad tomorrow."  Stupid brain.  But yummy dressing.

Afternoon snack: Half a bag of sliced carrots.  And my pre-dinner snack was a few cornichons (small dill pickles).

Day 11:

Breakfast: Monkey salad

Lunch: The night before, I made a couple of hamburger patties (with paprika, garlic salt, onion powder, and a touch of chili powder), with sauteed onions and mushrooms.  I also had a green salad with spring mix, avocado, snap peas, and mushroom.  And plenty of the delicious sauce I made the night before (this was the southwestern take on the Creamy Italian dressing in Well Fed.  It's delicious as a salad dressing AND on meat).

Mid-Afternoon Snack: Coconut Macaroon Larabar.  Verdict: Also delicious, but not as good as Blueberry Muffin.

Dinner: Ground beef curry, with broccoli, carrots, and onions, served with cauliflower rice.

Day 12 (since I'm Halfway through that anyway)

Breakfast: A delicious egg, sausage, spinach, onion, and mushroom scramble, topped with Cholula hot sauce (the best!) and half an avocado.

Lunch: This was a bit of a challenge.  I met some friends for lunch at place I know I can get fish filets with simple vegetables.  The special - blacked tilapia - looked delicious, so I got that with a double side of brussels sprouts, instead of half sprouts/half mashed potatoes. HOWEVER, there was a delicious, sweet (and most definitely non-paleo) sauce on top of the tilapia that was unexpected.  I scraped it off as best I could, but only felt comfortable eating about half of the fish.  The brussels sprouts also had a surprisingly sweet taste, which had me a bit worried.  It's possibly they were cooked in balsamic vinegar, which would account for it, but I also only felt comfortable eating a few of those.  Soooo, $14 later, I'd eaten less than half of my meal because the restaurant decided to take creative liberties with a seemingly simple dish.  Balls.  Luckily, there was a big meeting at my office at lunch times, so I was able to partake in some left-over simple roast beef, roasted vegetables and plantain chips (albeit probably made with canola oil, but there's only so good you can be, amiright?).  Passing over the delicious, soft chocolate cookies that were also left-over was a little painful, but I've clearly survived relatively unscathed.

Dinner:  Not sure what I'm fixing for dinner tonight.  But it'll either be Ground Beef, Mushroom, & Egg casserole, or Cauliflower Risotto with Chicken & Mushrooms.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe it's been somewhere around 12 days since the last time I posted on this log.  I think the primary reason is that, I started this log in order to keep myself motivated.  If I forced myself to log every day, I would never cheat. But the thing is, I haven't been tempted to cheat, and I've really stuck with this Whole30 thing.  So I guess my motivation to log has gotten less.  But, since I said I would log every meal, here goes.

As an update on how I'm feeling, I feel GREAT.  I can tell in how my clothes feel, how exercise is easier, and how far I can bend in my yoga classes (less belly in the way!!) that I am losing weight.  But more importantly, I really do feel like my energy is up.  I can't remember the last time I just NEEDED that 3pm coffee.  If I keep this up, I'll be hard pressed to reach "gold" status at Starbucks for the 4th year in a row...  And very importantly, my bank account is just loving this diet.  No more eating lunch out, grocery bills are actually not that much higher, and our restaurant expenses are down to practically zero.  That's not to say we never dine out -- for work, or just when I've been too exhausted to cook, I've found ways to eat food at various restaurants that is still Whole30 compliant.

Now, to the food:

Day 13:

Breakfast: Monkey salad

Lunch: Left-over ground beef, mushroom & egg casserole

Dinner:  This was tough as I had dinner plans with friends.  Luckily, one friend is on a similar (though less restrictive) diet.  We saw a movie (Into the Woods, which is PHENOMENAL, btw) at one of those "watch a movie and eat food" places, so we ordered some shrimp, fish, & mango ceviche.  It wasn't that great, so we only each had a few bites.  At dinner, I got a New York Strip steak without any off the offered sauces, which looked delicious.  As a side, I got simple steamed broccoli, which normally is served with a bleu cheese sauce, but I went without.  That's ok, I'm not a huge fan of bleu cheese anyway.

Day 14:

Breakfast:  Egg, mushroom, onion, spinach, & sausage scramble with half an avocado.

Lunch:  The last of the left-over ground beef, mushroom, & egg casserole, with a side of berries and whipped coconut cream (with cinnamon & vanilla).

Dinner:  Ground beef with zucchini & diced tomatoes, with a side of sauteed yellow squash & onions.

Day 15:

Breakfast:  Egg, sausage, spinach, & bell pepper scramble with half an avocado

Lunch:  Left-over beef with zucchini and diced tomatoes and sauteed yellow squash & onions

Dinner:  Salmon a l'afrique du nord from the Well Fed cookbook.  This was AMAZING, although I inadvertently made it spicier than the recipe called for.  I calmed the spice with a bit of home-made mayo as a dipping sauce.  We also had a side of the roasted carrots from the same cookbook.  For "dessert" I had a banana with some cashew butter.  Also, can we just talk about cashew butter for a second.  WHY is this not a more popular thing everywhere?!  It is pure deliciousness that trumps any other kind of nut butter you could possibly think of.  To hell with peanut butter, cashew butter FTW!

Day 16:

Breakfast:  Egg, bell pepper, spinach, sausage, & onion scramble, topped with cholula.

Lunch:  Left-over salmon a l'afrique du nord, with a side salad of spring mix, avocado, sugar snap peas, and bell pepper (no dressing..I forgot it, but the avocado made it still taste pretty creamy)

Dinner:  Grilled chicken, with braised brussels sprouts with bacon (sugar free, of course)

Day 17:

Breakfast: Egg, onion, sausage, spinach & bell pepper scramble, with half an avocado

Lunch:  Left over chicken and brussels sprouts from the night before

Dinner:  Sausage & eggplant strata from the Well Fed cookbook.  My only complaint with this dish was that I don't think it makes enough of the tomato/egg mixture, so the top layer kind of falls apart, but it's still delicious.

Snack:  1 oz of cashews

Day 18:

Breakfast:  A bit of the left over strata

Lunch:  A bit more of the left over strata (seriously, this made a lot! But it works for every kind of meal)

Snack:  Apple Pie Larabar (one of the 4 larabar flavors we've been able to find that's Whole30 compliant)

Dinner:  I didn't track this in My Fitness Pal, so I really don't remember.  But I do know that whatever it was, it was Whole30 compliant.

Day 19:

Breakfast:  A bit more of the left over strata (I'm getting pretty over this strata at this point)

Lunch: FINALLY the last of the strata.  It was good to have because whatever I made the night before did not involve leftovers.  But man, 5 meals of the same thing is ENOUGH, despite how delicious it is.

Dinner:  Asian Ground Turkey Lettuce Wraps with some Sunshine Sauce and a creamy cauliflower rice with coconut milk.  I also went to a girls' night with a bunch of my friends from my last job, where the wine was a-flowing, but I did not partake.  Nor did I have any of the delicious snacks that are off-limits.  I had a couple strawberries, a couple pieces of some sort of meat they had on-hand (prosciutto-ish, so it seemed OK...), and a handful of mixed nuts, without peanuts.  The next day I felt SUPER headachy and not great, so I'm wondering if something I ate was not, in fact, compliant.  Or it could have just been a fluke.

Snack:  About 4 oz of sliced carrots

Day 20:

Breakfast:  Egg, bell pepper, spinach, onion, ground beef scramble with a quarter of an avocado.

Lunch:  Left-over ground turkey lettuce wraps from the night before and a Cashew Cookie Larabar

Dinner:  We made the glazed pork recipe from Well Fed.  Oh MY GOODNESS this was delicious.  Really, maybe the best pork I've ever made at home.  As a warning, this meal is a process, and will take about 2 hours to make.  Hence, why we didn't eat dinner till around 10:00pm.  As a side, we had white sweet potato hash.

Day 21:

Breakfast:  Monkey salad

Lunch:  Some left-over pork from the night before and white sweet potato hash browns

Dinner:  We made the Pork Fried "F'rice" from Well Fed (just after the glazed pork recipe).  Incredibly delicious, and I can't wait to make all of this again!!  Also had a small box of raisins that have been in my pantry for goodness knows how long.  Raisins don't go bad, right?? RIGHT?!

Day 22:

Breakfast:  Egg, onion, spinach scramble with 2 slices of sugar free bacon

Lunch:  I had to travel for work, so we stopped at the nicest restaurant in Lufkin, TX and I got a simple filet of salmon with sauteed vegetables (which I barely ate any of because they were vastly overcooked). For the side salad, I had just oil & vinegar dressing.  Not bad for small town Texas.

Dinner:  I was EXHAUSTED and not feeling well, so I had my husband pick us up a couple of my favorite salads from Chatters Bistro.  The Pacific Rim salad, which with some seared ahi tuna.  Of course, everything that makes this salad deliciously "Asian" we had to omit, like the very tasty dressing (I checked - it has sugar, but no dairy) and the wonton strips.  But I made some more sunshine sauce and we used that as a dressing, so it was still very, very tasty.

Day 23:

Breakfast:  Egg, spinach, onion scramble with 2 slices bacon and half an avocado.

Lunch:  Left-over pork fried rice with a side salad of spinach, avocados, and a simple dijon vinaigrette.

Dinner:  Greek-seasoned pork loin chops with a side of cauliflower riced mixed with yellow squash and onions.

Day 24:

Breakfast:  Same as yesterday - Egg, spinach, onion scramble with half an avocado and 2 slices of bacon.

Lunch:  A left-over pork chop and a side salad with spinach, avocado, and dijon vinaigrette.

Dinner:  Ground beef mixed with onions, garlic, tomato paste, and almond flour stuffed into bell peppers, with a side of roasted sweet potato fries.

Snack:  Sliced apples with cashew butter.

Day 25:  THAT'S TODAY!!!

Breakfast:  Egg, spinach, onion, bell pepper scramble with half an avocado and 2 slices of bacon.

Lunch:  I brought a leftover stuffed pepper and some sweet potato fries.  I also have a left-over pork chop still in the fridge, but I have the distinct feeling that it will probably never get eaten.

I can't believe I'm on day 25!!  Only 5 more days after this!  I'll try to actually make 5 or 6 more individual posts as opposed to a giant marathon post like this one.

So I've only let a couple of days pass this time, which is pretty good, I suppose.  Here we are in the final stretch, and I'm far from counting down the days till I can have bread.  I'm not sure I even care about having any sort of special "31st day" meal.  I will say that I do look forward to not scrutinizing every menu and every label.  Although I think that I probably still will.  If there's one thing I've learned over the last 28 days, corn syrup is in EVERYTHING so unnecessarily.  I mean, there's corn syrup in Whole Foods's organic chicken broth!  Why?  This has really been eye-opening to all the extra crap in the food we've been eating all our lives.

Now the food:

Day 25 (continued):

Dinner:

Baked chicken thighs with a garlic/coconut aminos mixture, with a side of curry cauliflower and cinnamon baked apples.

Day 26:

This was the day of "let's get a bunch of food that Emily can't eat" in the office day.   For breakfast, they ordered breakfast tacos, for lunch there was pizza, and the piece de resistance -- a cookie cake for a co-worker's birthday.  BUT, I solidly resisted all temptation.  I ate breakfast before I got to work, our office admin ordered me a salad from the pizza place, and although i did lift the lid of that cookie cake box, not a single chocolate chip was eaten.

Breakfast: Egg, onion, spinach scramble with sugar free bacon and avocados

Lunch:  Spinach salad with sun-dried tomatoes, with some home-made salad dressing.  I also picked up a "Scottish Salmon" from Snap Kitchen -- Salmon coated in almonds with a side of roasted sweet potatoes and zucchini.

Dinner:  This was a challenged as I had dinner plans out with friends.  We decided on a sushi place, which means that there is very little I can eat (tons of rice AND soy...everywhere!).  I got a DELICIOUS sesame seared tuna salad.  The salad included mango, avocado, and a sesame-ginger vinaigrette.  I asked for the dressing on the side, but natch, that detail was forgotten.  But it didn't taste like it had a ton of (or maybe any) sugar in it, and a girl's gotta eat.

Day 27:

Breakfast: Just a banana before heading to boot camp.  I followed it up a couple hours later with some of the Deluxe Nuts mix from whole foods.

Lunch:  Beef and kale meatloaf with a side of butternut squash "fries"

Dinner:  Left-over meatloaf with a side salad of romaine, avocado, green onions, and some of the southwest cumin-lime dressing from Well Fed (it's seriously the best sauce, ever)

Last night was also a friend's 30th birthday party, so we spent most of the night out at a bar.  Although it feels lame to just order a soda with lime (and you get some slightly-annoyed looks from the bartenders who won't make any money off of you), and you get the constant questions of why you're not drinking (because when you're of a certain age and have been married for 4.5 years, everyone thinks you're pregnant), it also feels great to be able to drive myself home, and to sleep well, and to wake up without feeling like crap.  I do miss the occasional glass of wine, but really, I was planning on calling off alcohol for a few months even absent this diet.  I just feel so much better.

This morning I'm hosting a little brunch before a friend of mine -- who is also doing Whole 30 -- and the husband and I go to see Book of Mormon.  On the menu are paleo pancakes with a sugar-free berry sauce/syrup and coconut whipped cream, eggs, and sausage.  Should be delicious!

Archived