Sauces good for how long?

Gina56

I intend to make up the homemade mayo, the Awesome Sauce and the Moraccan Dipping Sauce. I'd like  to make up enough to store in the fridge for the week. Anyone see a problem with that? Also I am reading about the trick of the lemon juice and egg - is that a recommendation to combine the egg and the lemon juice together and then let them come to room temperature? Thanks I start Tuesday and I'm spending the weekend prepping! 

• Moderators

A week should be fine. Mine usually last (a lot) longer, but I'm comfortable with the sniff test.

The immersion blender method (I think NomNomPaleo has a good recipe) is the only one I use to make mayo and it doesn't fail. Even without letting the ingredients come to room temp. I do prefer to only use yolks rather than whole eggs, though. I've never heard of mixing the yolk with lemon first.

Good luck and enjoy!

Guest Andria

I think the recommendation to let the lemon juice sit with the egg yolk is to allow the citric acid to 'cook' the yolk, in order to prevent food borne illness.  I let my ingredients come to room temperature separately and have not gotten sick from my mayo.  A batch of mayo, for me, is usually gone in under a week.

The general rule for expiration dates on mayo (and therefore the Awesome Sauce, since it's made with mayo) is the expiration date on your eggs, maybe plus a week. That said, I, like Andria, eat mine faster than that. :) I use my food processor (I don't have an immersion blender), so I do let the egg come to room temp, but I don't generally mix it with the acid until I'm ready to make the mayo. I've been doing it that way for a year and a half with no ill effects.

If this is the Moroccan sauce you mean, I'd think it would last longer than a week, and I'd actually keep it at room temp. The olive oil will get solid in the fridge.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

The general rule for expiration dates on mayo (and therefore the Awesome Sauce, since it's made with mayo) is the expiration date on your eggs, maybe plus a week. That said, I, like Andria, eat mine faster than that. :) I use my food processor (I don't have an immersion blender), so I do let the egg come to room temp, but I don't generally mix it with the acid until I'm ready to make the mayo. I've been doing it that way for a year and a half with no ill effects.

If this is the Moroccan sauce you mean, I'd think it would last longer than a week, and I'd actually keep it at room temp. The olive oil will get solid in the fridge.

Anything with garlic in it should be stored in the refrigerator. The oil it's in creates an anaerobic environment that protects the garlic from ordinary microbes but not c. botulinum. And that's a bad one.

• Administrators

That Morroccan sauce only lasts barely 3 days in the fridge for me.  I find that the greenery in it goes brownish gray after awhile and just looks too unappetizing.  That's one you probably want to make fresh and then slather onto everything for a couple of days until it's gone.

Archived