Sugar free Italian sausage?

• Moderators

For sausage, you might look for Mulay's brand -- they have both hot and mild Italian sausage. I haven't tried either of those, but like their breakfast sausage. I find them locally at a small health food store. Their website has both a store locator and a way to order online. You might also look for local butchers to see if you can special order. 

For bacon, I know US Wellness Meats sells compliant bacon, it's kind of pricy, and they run out often. I bought some before, and liked it, but it was not like the bacon I've bought in the store before. Smokier maybe? I just know the first bite or two was a bit of a surprise, but then I ended up liking it. Pedersons makes a version that is compliant, but not all of theirs are, so be sure you check the labels. I've heard of a few store brands that are too -- google Whole30 forum bacon to find past discussions.

• Administrators

If you're looking for sausage taste but don't care some much about the format (eg, in casing vs not), you can make your own. Ground pork with Clothes Make The Girl "Italian Sausage Seasoning" and formed into patties. That's my personal favourite sausage spice mix but you can find lots of them if you google it. Then you know exactly what is in your sausage! :)

I'm 99% sure that the pre-cooked trader joe's spicy italian chicken sausages are compliant! While making your own is really easy (I like that Chlothes make the girl one too!), but tor when you need something convenient and cased, these are pretty good!

Ingredients: Skinless chicken, contains 2% or less of parsley, salt, fennel, red pepper, mustard, anise, paprika in a natural pork casing.

• Administrators

Hi mMm, those sausages would be compliant.  We would caution anyone who is going to seek them out to check the label on the one that they are about to purchase as ingredient lists can vary by region, unfortunately.

Isernio's is a brand available at a lot of regular supermarkets. Their ground chicken breakfast sausage, at least the stuff I buy here in Oregon, is compliant and yummy. They also have a hot version...no links that I have seen though, just ground chubs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I went to the local farmer's market and 1 f the meat vendors had Italian sausage made with just pork & spices!  I was thrilled.  I think any good store like Whole Foods who make some of their own meats will carry it.  I made W30 scotch eggs and they are delicious!

it's easy to find because it has "Sugar-Free" in big letters on the package.

I would be careful with this and check ingredients. "Sugar" free might mean it has artificial sweeteners or even honey or some other "non-sugar" sweetener. 

Archived