Whole30 with Seven foods......

Keltic_fire

Long story short, a friend has been telling me for a year I need to do a whole30 to figure out some health things... I finally decided to go for it and at the same time am doing a social experiment with another group of friends. For the month of September we are only eating SEVEN foods. I decided to do a whole 60 type- the first 30 days being the same as the seven food days, then go to a more "normal" whole30 for the second 30.

Soooo- my question is- what are the best seven foods for me to chose for this experiment that are whole30 and still nutritionally sound?

The usual foods people chose are: chicken, spinach, eggs, tomatoes, cheese or yogurt, rice or bread, apples or melons....

Thank you for any help you can give!

Fun to think about.

Beef (endless options plus you could have Applegate Farms beef hot dogs or roast beef for convenience foods)

Eggs (so many ways to make them

Coconut milk (great fat option)

Ghee (everything tastes better with ghee)

Carrots (sweet, portable, good raw or cooked)

Broccoli or spinach (both are good raw or cooked)

Sweet potatoes (dense carb source and yummy baked or roasted)

Let us know what you decide. Sounds like a very interesting experiment!

I would suggest eggs, sweet potato, ghee or coconut oil, kale, pastured beef, pastured liver (if you can't count it as beef), and homemade bone broth. If liver can be called beef, I'd also suggest wild salmon.

1. Eggs
  2. Grass-fed beef
  3. Onions
  4. Peppers
  5. Squash
  6. Spinach
  7. Sweet Potatoes

I think you could get a nice variety out of these options. If you get a huge bag of baby spinach you can have salads or use the spinach in other dishes. Squash can be cooked in a number of ways and if you are OK with the entire category there is quite a number you can try. I didn't include oils because I think those aren't strictly "foods" but they are certainly necessary for the Whole 30. If I could add 3 more it would be: avocado, broccoli & brussels sprouts.

I would not recommend doing a whole 30 based on 7 foods alone. While you can get pretty creative I think it is important to embrace ALL of the amazing veggies and fruits that do your body good.

Good luck, either way! It's a really fun and eye opening experience.

To be honest, I think if you are going to do a Whole30, you would be better to embrace it fully and as LauraB says, enjoy the fabulous range of delicious healthy food available. I wouldn't try and combine the two approaches-I don't think it'll give you a full picture of what a Whole30 can do for your health and it'll probably get a little boring too.

• 2 weeks later...

I get where you're coming from with this one ... trying to streamline and simplify ? Though I think the concerns of the advanced members are valid, I also think it's kind of a fun experiement - even if for most of us it's just a THOUGHT experiment - to see how much or how little you really NEED and how much less complicated we can make things. I know that when I try to follow a bunch of Paleo recipes from whatever my latest cookbook or blog obsession is, my grocery lists, kitchen clean up and cooking can get out of control. But on the other hand, eating the same thing day after day can get dull, even if it does simplify shopping and prep. I'm still trying to find the balance between variety and insanity ....

Mark Sisson posted on his blog once about a 10-food experiment, similar to what you're proposing. I don't think he actually did it, he was just responding to a reader's question along the lines of, "If you could only eat 10 foods for the rest of your life, balancing nutritional needs and pleasure, which would they be ?" If you go to Mark's Daily Apple and search for "top 10 foods" or something like that, it will pop up. He wasn't trying to be Whole30 compliant or anything, but it's a good, healthy list and a good jumping off point for discussion.

Kristin, I too keep trying to find the balance between variety and insanity. I tend to be very labor intensive in the kitchen and I'm eying to work on that. It's great to come up with something new and creative and awesome, but sometimes it's better to keep it simple.

I wish I could do a whole 30 with a limited amount of ingredients, might be fun to do for a week sometime....

Archived