Post- WO meal for a late workout? Do I need one for this?

SusanB.

I normally exercise in the early early morning, and I think I have a plan sussed for the pre and post WO meals (starting my first 30 that includes any strenuous exercise on Monday).

But I'm also going to be taking a dance class, once a week, 7-8pm. Since I get up at 5am, I am usually in bed by 9-10. Normal dinner time is 5-6pm.

I don't expect it to be a hugely physically taxing class, but I do expect to work up at least a little sweat.

Having an actual post-WO meal would have me coming home, eating, and then immediately showering and going to bed. Eating right before bed- I know it's not recommended, but even when I'm not compliant, I know that it's something that I just can't do unless I want to be awake with an unhappy stomach.

Does something like this require a post-WO meal, does anyone think? The last thing I want to do is force myself to eat more food when I don't need it- but I don't want to do anything stupid (ignoring the recommendations for post-WO meal) either.

I'm confused!

Nah, you'll be fine. Post-workout meals aren't needed for all sweat-inducing activities.

The recommendations for pre- and post- meals are (IMO) to offset any reduced performance concerns due to W30 participants likely consuming less calories than usual when eating only 3 template meals per day.

• Administrators

I would take something with you that you can eat at the studio or on the way home, just in case your class is more taxing than you think it might be. If your class ends at 8 and you have your quick PWO item at 814, that's still a couple hours before you head for bed....and the amount you eat doesn't need to be huge, rate if for yourself based on the activity you've done.

Thanks for the input- I hadn't really considered having something there, but that does sound plausible. More so than trying to have breakfast at the gym, at least!

Can anyone suggest something portable that's appropriate? I will be home between work & class, so I will have a few minutes to pack up.

And I'll keep the thought that it might not be necessary in my back pocket. I'm assuming that if I have a reasonable dinner before class, then hunger really won't be an issue- and while I exoect to sweat, I cant imagine that I'll be doing any serious muscle-building activity

Hi, I actually have a similar question-- my workouts are fairly intense and run even later-- sometimes until 9:30-10pm (not ideal, but the timing is beyond my control). I definitely need to eat something post-WO. I'm doing my first Whole30 and in the past have done something like peanut butter with some dried fruit, but obviously need to switch things up-- I'm just a little wary of having what is basically another full meal shortly before I go to bed. Any suggestions? Thanks!

• Administrators

Hi msuzanne, your post workout meal doesn't need to be huge and certainly not "another full meal".  If you were getting along alright with your peanut butter and dried fruit, you could probably just sub a similar volume of food but make it protein and carbs (eg. chicken breast/sweet potato is popular).  You don't need a tonne of it, base it on how you feel after the workout, whether you wake in the middle of the night and if you are ravenous when you wake in the morning.

Archived