Sugar Dragon immediately after a meal

Does anyone else crave the sugar dragon immediately after eating a large, well balanced W30 meal? It's not as if I'm not satisfied or full, but I salivate like crazy and the urge straight after a meal can be insane.

It drops off pretty quickly if I do nothing about it other than drink water but it's weird!

I do remember during the first couple of weeks that I would find myself in my car drivng to the grocery store.   I would walk up and down the aisles like I was sleepwalking.   I eyeballed all of the frozen desserts that I don't even care for.  I would wander around all of the refined cookie/cracker aisles and go around in circles.   Then I would get back in my car and drive home.   I wasn't hungry and I really have no idea why I did that.  Sometimes in the evening, I would drive to the one pump gas station.   There wasn't much to see but I would be in there looking at the chips and protein bars.   I'd get back in my car, go home and fall asleep on the couch.   Yes, I did do some odd things.

• Administrators

Hey David, ya, those sugar cravings can be intense. Having sufficient fat at your meal is one huge step you can take in killing that dragon. Fruit is also allowed on the Whole30 but for myself, who tends towards sugar addiction, I choose to avoid it altogether as it can set me up for seeking & craving those sugary items all day long.

Perhaps post a couple days worth of food and fluids (let us know what your portion sizes are based on your own palm/thumbs) and maybe there we can suggest a tweak or two to get you past the hump? What day are you on?

Many thanks ladyshanny!! I'm on Day 3. Working backwards from lunch today when I had my sugar dragon attack:

Large salad - two heaped handfulls - tomato, cucumber, mushrooms, baby cos lettuce, rocket, black olives, can tuna in olive oil, a boiled egg, avocado oil - 1 thumb, 3 left over garlic roasted kipfler potatoes, spring onion, lemon juice

Pre-workout this morning (swim): watermelon

Breakfast: banana, hand full of blueberries, a fresh nectarine, then 1 palm full of leftover chicken stir fry from last night: onion, garlic, chilli, ginger, red capsicum, chinese broccoli, 3-4 small cut up pieces of chicken thigh, coriander, mint, fish sauce, coconut aminos, 1 thumb of coconut oil

Dinner last night: two bowls of the chicken stir fry

Lunch yesterday: Similar large salad to above without the eggs

Breakfast: large handful of left over fish ratatouille - onion, garlic, capsicum, 1 thumb of olive oil, 4 large strips of what we call in Australia flake (shark), mushrooms, eggplant, zucchinis, lemon rind, olive oil plus two panfried eggs in coconut oil with 1 thumb of the oil drizzled over

Dinner the night before: A large bowl of the fish ratatouille

• Administrators

OK, first, please come and cook at my house, that all sounds delicious!

Your meals look good, composition wise. From your profile picture you look like a big enough guy, you could probably fuss with the servings a bit if you wanted and bump your fat up as that will definitely go a ways in knocking the sugar dragon off. But if you are feeling satisfied (cravings aside) for about 4-5 hours between meals, you're probably fine.

Sometimes as much as we'd like to have a "thing" we can do to get through the body's desire to keep getting sugar and junky carbs, we just have to sit through it and hang on. As you go further in your body will start to shift over from carb burning to fat burning and those cravings will lose their intensity.

On an unrelated topic but since you mentioned it, on Whole30, pre-workout is advised to be protein and fat and post workout would be protein and starchy veggies. And depending on what your activity is, you could probably use a post workout meal as well. Check the recommendations on the template: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Hehe ok cool :) I'll see how I go with meal sizes but they seem to be ok at the moment in terms of being hungry between meals. I'll up my fat content a little and make sure I'm getting the right mix around workouts. I suspect yesterday I didn't manage that very well. Many thanks!!

Archived