The relation between red wine and sugar

Is there one? I'm on Day 4 of my first Whole 30. Before this I had gone paleo. 80/20 paleo a la Mark Sisson (who I still love!), you know, with the daily dark chocolate and red wine as treats. As time went on the 80 part of my diet decreased and the 20 part increased. *blush* Finally I decided I needed to get REAL about this and voila, my first Whole 30 began.

So now on day 4 I am having crazy dreams and just feeling weird. The main differences in what I'm eating now versus before I began are dairy and wine. I had already gone to black coffee and cut out chocolate so my *actual* sugar intake was limited (although not non existent).

So it's got to have something to do with the red wine. And, no, I wasn't a good MDA follower having a mere one glass a night (unless it was a very large glass - ha!). I'm not an alcoholic. I can go days with no alcohol. It's fine. But now looking back I see that on the days I didn't drink wine I increased my sugar and carb consumption. Aha! This is a light bulb moment but I don't know what to do with the information. (given my past I am sure I am addicted to sugar, and my dad is diabetic, as well as my maternal grandmother - we are a carb/sugar eating family. Were. :))

How does red wine affect insulin, blood sugar spikes, the sugar dragon and all that? I'm quite excited to find this link!

Great! So the way to (finally) kill the sugar (and wino) dragon is to STARVE it - feed it nothing sweet, use the broiled fish and steamed broccoli litmus test, drink hot tea or bone broth after a meal, eat a mimimeal if truly hungry... And keep calm and whole 30 on...?

I'm slightly doubting my ability to really kill this thing. Hmm. We'll just have to see what happens!

starving it does work.

My own experience is that, now, post- 2 years whole30ing (or quite close to it), I have extremely low tolerance for anything alcohol or fructose. More than 1/2 a glass of wine or an agave sweetened dessert leaves me inflamed and anxious. I haven't tried HFCS, but I'm sure that would be the same. Oh well. I'm getting better at pouring myself 1/4 of a glass of wine and then sticking to sparkling water...or skipping the wine altogether. I miss it a little, but I feel SO MUCH BETTER now.  :)

Archived