Did you kill your sugar dragon?

Dmccalled4

I've been posting here for almost a year and a lot of my posts centered around sugar cravings etc etc.  I had horrible cravings during my whole 30 and they continued (although lessened as time went by) ever since.

My sugar dragon is _almost_ gone.  It is SO much better than it used to be a year ago.  However, I'm not sure it will ever be totally gone.  Instead of having a craving every time I ate, now I have one once or twice a month.  So that's almost gone in my book.  I believe that some people's bodies just like sugar more than others.  Some people have a 'sweet tooth' and some people don't.  So for us sugar addicts, things can change.  You just have to keep working at it.  It took me almost a year to get to the point where I can say, 'I slayed my sugar dragon'.   It was a constant mental battle though for months and months.

Having said that, I also should add that sugar dragons can spontaneously resurrect themselves.  If you go back to your sugary ways of eating, they will pop right back up and take over your life again.  So get on the path and stay on the path.  When it comes to sugar, just say no.  There is no moderation for sugar addicts.  You can't just 'have a little' and expect to slay your dragon (well, at least, I couldn't.)

It was a challenging battle, but I'm glad I did it.  I like myself much better now that I feel like sugar isn't controlling me or causing me to make bad decisions.

He's not dead, he's in hibernation. If I don't have it I don't want it, and I can eat whole30 style for months on end. But if i give in, and have a little bit, he wakes up roaring and I'm back into the land of cravings and paleo treats until I starve him into submission again

sigh :( my dragon has knocked me down tied me up and thrown me in a hole....filled with left over xmas treats....I

will have my husband toss it all in the garbage tomorrow. then i will cut the rope climb out of the hole and slay this beast once and for all

Sigh - the sugar dragon....

He gets caged and then he comes out to play every now and then.  It's almost impossible to squash him out completely.  But the craving triggers do become smaller and smaller over time.   Unfortunately I had huge stress-induced sugar binge fest throughout most of December and the dragon was on the rampage the first day of my whole 30.  Now I am on day 4 and he's been rounded up decently.

Remember the best way to handle cravings is to distract yourself - read a good book, go for a walk, do push ups, take a bath, etc. The craving will pass.

• Administrators

I like this question and it relates perfectly to one of my favourite articles:

http://www.gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2012/10/back-by-popular-demand-are-you-an-abstainer-or-a-moderator/

Also Whole9's article on moderation: http://whole9life.com/2013/08/moderation/

My sugar dragon is gone back to his home planet the SECOND that I start abstaining.  Don't hear from him, see him, sniff him.  When I send him back and close the door, he is absolutely GONE.

If I invite him back with ONE candy, ONE sip of a sugary beverage, ONE gluten free cookie, ONE piece of grain free banana bread, he breaks down the door and starts busting the place up.  And it is so hard to do what I need to do to get him gone again; declare abstention.

So no, I can't kill him.  He is either there or not there depending on what my decisions have been. 

Today my Sugar Dragon slayed me half-way through Day 9 of my attempt # 2 of the Whole30. I am so bummed.

*The huge epiphany is that it was on the same day, Day 9, that I caved the first time I tried to do the Whole30!* (I continued on until Day 21 before officially calling it quits during Nov. 2014.) I think I need to use the Buddy-System next time.

Side Note: The best part this 2nd time has been the lack of ANY "side effects" like I experienced during my first "Whole 21" (2 weeks of constant headaches, on/off sluggishness and irritability). I kind of feel like I'm not being "rewarded" (lack of instant gratification).

"Moderation" is the hardest thing when it comes to sugar. After all, they call it a "Dragon" for a reason. I find myself bingeing on my 1 and only addiction (Peanut M&M's).

Starting over tomorrow...

Katie

• Administrators

Aw, sorry to hear that, KWestanmo!  Good that you had an epiphany.  Perhaps sit down and figure out what feelings, emotions, circumstances and thoughts contributed to you agreeing with your sugar dragon that you should eat the M&Ms. 

Were you highly stressed, hungry, not prepared for mealtime?  Did something sad or happy happen that you didn't know how to celebrate (or drown) in any other way?

Your best bet is to make sure that you are as prepared as possible and that includes the emotional and mental aspects of it.

Happy Day One Again!

Archived