Sunroom herb garden

Sassy7

Can you give me an idea, if I were to put an herb garden in my sun/breakfast room, which herbs to start with that are used most in 30 dishes?  I bought a pressure cooker, and will get it and my book on Tuesday.  My Whole30 book will arrive tomorrow.  I want to go buy a stand and herbs tomorrow at the local gardening center.   Thanks. 

• Administrators

Hey, Sassy! (great user name, btw!)

I think it really depends on your exposure and what you like to eat. For example, I wish I could grow rosemary indoors but I do not have windows on the required side of the house to get it to thrive.

Some things I use a lot of, whether they are suitable for indoor gardening, I'm not sure: cilantro, parsley, chives, rosemary, sage, thyme. I also wish I could grow green onions indoors because I find them annoyingly pricey in winter.

Thank you, Ladyshanny.  Guess were I got that user name...  From my last Boxer - registered name Backtalk.  :)  Good suggestions, as those are the herbs I use most as well.  Will also check on green onions at the nursery - if I don't get snowed in over night.  I'm really not very good at determining what herbs to use with what dishes, and hope my new cookbook will help with that. 

• Administrators

Totally off topic but boxers are the absolute best dogs! Mine is currently doing her super loud, extra annoying hunger dance but it's so cute you just have to laugh at her!

I'm more of a spice girl myself vs herbs, but fresh rosemary, thyme and sage in ground turkey with a bit of Franks Red Hot tossed in, about a cup of mashed sweet potato, an egg and a bit of almond flour as binder and form into patties is one of my absolute most favourites!

We had Boxers since the 1970s and lost Sassy at age 15 a few years ago.  We're dogless now, as we travel a lot.

I love basil as well.  I'm not very good at spices, either.  Ha.  But do prefer herbs I might be able to grow and clip as needed.  Had an Aerogarden for several years, but it can't be left unattended even overnight, which is why I'm looking in another direction.  Thanks for that recipe.  Sounds fabulous! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Ladyshanny, you can totally regrow green onions by putting their root nub in a cup with a little bit of water by the window. I do this all the time!

OK, wait. Do you put their hairy little roots into the water? Or put them cut side down like when you grow carrot tops? How much water, so they are immersed or just sitting in a titch of it?

• Administrators

Ya, show me a pic.  You can email it to me if you want, ladyshanny at gmail 

So they just float in there?  I have mine standing on their little root ends balanced in a bit of water but that doesn't seem to be working.

• Moderators

I have an outside garden and herbs are the best thing ever. I LOVE going out to snip what I need for a recipe. I also like saving $3 on that plastic box of herbs at the store.

I grow basil, parsley, chives, thyme, rosemary, sage, and cilantro.

I find that I use parsley and chives (in place of scallions) all the time in meatballs or burgers or salads. Thyme goes great with eggs, chicken, turkey. I don't know all the best combinations but I have an "herb wheel" that tells you.  see here: http://www.growingherbsforbeginners.com/herb-wheels-and-decoders/

My parsley, rosemary, sage and chives usually survive the winter. I'm in zone 6. Thyme somewhat survives, but it gets pretty dried up. Basil doesn't ever survive, it's gone after the first slight freeze. Cilantro bolts (thus becoming coriander seed) as soon as the temps hit about 80.

I have a sun room and have been growing indoor herbs for a couple of years now.  Chives are super easy, and I would start with those.  They're versatile in the kitchen and almost impossible to kill in your indoor garden.  I have also found a small-leaf basil that is doing really well for me.  I've started several other things, but have not had much luck keeping them going. 

ThyPeace, on a water-once-a-week-whether-they-need-it-or-not schedule

Archived