Costco Run

mollyv5

Oh Costco, How I love thee!  I too am always stocking up on Aidell's sausage and Avocado oil.  It's like Chirstmas when Aidell's company is visiting the store and I can buy big packs of my favorite flavor Mango Jalepeno! 

Their frozen fish (wild caught) selection is reasonable, although not too much cheaper than getting it at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.  I LOVE the Bear and Wolf brand canned salmon, comes in a stack of 6/ 6 oz cans for around $12 I think?  My Costco used to sell a huge bag of raw hemp hearts for a steal... I could instantly add 10g of protein to any meal and I love the flavor.  But I haven't seen it in over a year.  :(  Anyone else see this at their location?  Now I get chia seeds which are OK... but not my fave.

Did anyone else notice the organic ground beef prices go way up?  Thankfully I found a great grass fed beef farm that is CLOSER to me and sells ground beef for even less.  Score!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heyyyy, how do you like the avocado oil? I keep looking at it, but haven't bought it yet. Never cooked with avocado oil.

I LOVE avocado oil. I stopped using olive oil for cooking since it's less heat stable and the avocado oil makes a great sub for roasting and pan-frying. Sometimes I just can't be bothered to grab a spoon for the container of coconut oil and want something I can just pour from a bottle. :P

I buy that one too and use it to make mayo (when I'm not enforcing Mayo Embargo 2015) and love it.  I also use it to cook with....but beware of using it if you have animals that get plate scraps as avocado is dangerous for dogs (not sure about cats).

I read this and freaked because our dogs will occasionally get a little avocado oil on their kibble. This is what I found from the ASPCA:

"Birds, rabbits, and some large animals, including horses, are especially sensitive to avocados, as they can have respiratory distress, congestion, fluid accumulation around the heart, and even death from consuming avocado. While avocado is toxic to some animals, in dogs and cats, we do not expect to see serious signs of illness. In some dogs and cats, mild stomach upset may occur if the animal eats a significant amount of avocado flesh or peel. Ingestion of the pit can lead to obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract, which is a serious situation requiring urgent veterinary care.

Avocado is sometimes included in pet foods for nutritional benefit. We would generally not expect avocado meal or oil present in commercial pet foods to pose a hazard to dogs and cats." (Source)

Persin is the compound that's so troublesome and I'm trying to figure out if any of that would wind up in the oil, but no dice so far. The closest I've found is an LA Times "Ask the Vet" feature that states the fruit and the oil shouldn't be problematic and reiterates that sometimes it's used in commercial dog food varieties. (Link)

I'm torn on whether or not to let them keep having it. So far they haven't shown any issues, but I also don't want to tempt fate.

• Administrators

I read this and freaked because our dogs will occasionally get a little avocado oil on their kibble. This is what I found from the ASPCA:

"Birds, rabbits, and some large animals, including horses, are especially sensitive to avocados, as they can have respiratory distress, congestion, fluid accumulation around the heart, and even death from consuming avocado. While avocado is toxic to some animals, in dogs and cats, we do not expect to see serious signs of illness. In some dogs and cats, mild stomach upset may occur if the animal eats a significant amount of avocado flesh or peel. Ingestion of the pit can lead to obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract, which is a serious situation requiring urgent veterinary care.

Avocado is sometimes included in pet foods for nutritional benefit. We would generally not expect avocado meal or oil present in commercial pet foods to pose a hazard to dogs and cats." (Source)

Persin is the compound that's so troublesome and I'm trying to figure out if any of that would wind up in the oil, but no dice so far. The closest I've found is an LA Times "Ask the Vet" feature that states the fruit and the oil shouldn't be problematic and reiterates that sometimes it's used in commercial dog food varieties. (Link)

I'm torn on whether or not to let them keep having it. So far they haven't shown any issues, but I also don't want to tempt fate.

Oh, very interesting!  I read "avocado" on a list somewhere for what fruits and veggies your dog should or shouldn't have and never really bothered to research it.  I know that Gracie has gotten both some flesh and some oil from time to time and she's been fine but I never specifically fed it to her because I didn't feel like it was worth the risk.  (I kind of likened it to grapes/raisins.  Some dogs can eat them forever and in other dogs it takes one grape or one raisin to get a serious infection).  Hard to know which way your dog would go without testing something that I'd rather not see the result of.

But thank you so much for the info because I won't be too worried about occasional ingestion now!

Costco has been my saving grace during whole30. This is typically what I buy

Wholly Guacamole individual cups (perfect for lunches)

Chicken and apple sausage

Red Pepper Chicken Sausage

Boneless skinless chicken thighs

Organic ground beef

Romaine lettuce (they have smaller heads so perfect for one salad)

6 pack of bell peppers

English Cucumbers

Pineapple

Blueberries, blackberries, strawberries

Canned salmon

A ton of spices (so much cheaper)

Various other meat

Eggs

Almond butter

Pistachios

As for anyone who judges me for shopping at any store, well I live in America and I can choose to use my dollars in any way I want. My Costco has employees who have seen me and my husband in there every week (we go through a ton a of veggies and since I don't like eggs I eat chicken every morning) and have been so supportive.

What I love about Whole30 is that you can really adapt it to what you want so long as you follow the rules. I'm about to finish my first whole30 on Monday and my husband and I are already planning on another 30 days. We wouldn't have been able to do this without Costco.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update on Kirkland marinara sauce.

Not only is it still not available at my Costco, but its replacement (which is compliant and OK, but still...) was out of stock.

I might have to make some from scratch....

Costco in San Diego had this yesterday --- anyone tried it?

BglWvRN.jpg

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Also, current coconut oil offering was a 78-oz. ( :o) of Nutiva for $23.49. Dang, take that, VitaCost!  ;)

I'm using that marinara sauce now. I was at my Costco yesterday (N.Nevada) and now they're out of that one. I bought Merzzeta brand. It's not W30 compliant, as it has wine, but we're between W30s right now.

I really will have to make my own, I guess.

Thanks for the heads-up on the coconut oil. I just put it on my shopping list for next week.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Moderators

If you put 'whole30 forum costco' into google, you will find many threads for your exact question.  Have a read through.

Pleas also note that someting someone says is compliant on one side of the country, state, town may not be in your area, so ALWAYS read the labels... Even something you may have purchased before... read the labels... manufacturers are not consistent region to region or day to day.

Costco is my go to!  I buy my chicken wings, ground turkey, chicken breast strips (for salads), wholly guacamole 100 cal packs, salmon, mahi mahi, flounder, stir fry veggies (these are so good and I use them for all three meals almost daily), olive oil, coconut milk, almonds, canned salmon, and berries.

My Costco has very nice fresh vegetables and fruit. I get a 2-pound pack of Brussels sprouts every week for roasting. The price is right, too. They also have greenhouse raised tomatoes that are tasty year-round.

They used to have my favorite compliant Marinara sauce (Kirkland brand), but my store doesn't carry it all the time. I haven't seen it in months and I'm almost out at home.

Archived