Costco Run

mollyv5

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

I KNOW!!!!

I noticed that Amazon sells some Kirkland products, and checked there, but no luck.....

Oh, Costco, you irritate the crap out of me!

I used to work in an industry that provided packaging for companies that sold into Costco.  Regardless of the popularity of whatever the item was, if the vendor couldn't adapt to whatever change Costco wanted in a ridiculously short time frame, they were out, just like that.  Maranatha had a food poisoning "scare" (not even an actual qualified case, just a "let's be better safe than sorry") and now they and their huge jars of cheap compliant almond butter are out.

No one should shop at Costco anyways. It contributes to the overconsumption of America. You purchase more and consume more than you should. Also they source most of their food from outside the United States (i.e. China). Many people shop there for a good deal but you wind up spending more than you should check the price per ounce and compare it to another store. Also, it's quality food not just cheap food.

This is the way I would describe Walmart, frankly, but Costco at least treats their employees very well - it is well known to be a great company to work for (unlike Walmart, many of whose employees continue to need public assistance due to the Walton family's horrible labor practices).

I'll challenge you on the overconsumption in some regards- if I skipped my Costco run, I'd be buying the same things, but in smaller quantities with more packaging per item (I shop for my household and also for my office - I shudder to think at how many grocery-store size things we would go through in any given month and their associated packaging). In terms of price/value, you need to shop around. For many many of the things I buy, the unit price is significantly less than buying comparable items at a regular grocery store.

Is everything high-quality and inexpensive? No, some items fail one or both of those tests. But they certainly stock some quality items, and much of it is at reasonable prices. 

This is the way I would describe Walmart, frankly, but Costco at least treats their employees very well - it is well known to be a great company to work for (unlike Walmart, many of whose employees continue to need public assistance due to the Walton family's horrible labor practices).

• Administrators

I buy almost all of our veggies & meats at Costco. Yes, they don't come from the farm next door but right now the farm next door is under a foot of snow and our grocery carries products from the same general regions as Costco...but for more money.  Also, we go through an absolute sh*ttonne of meat & veg, I would way rather purchase in bulk.  

You're right as far as consumption going up on things that have no brakes (chips, pop, cookies etc) but I don't think my consumption goes up because I buy 3 2# bags of sprouts or green beans...that's just how much we eat.

My main reason for going to Costco is because of their pricing and whether it's local or from Chile or if it's the perfect choice for meat or not, I still have to do the best I can with what I have both financially and nutritionally and Costco is a huge part of that.  

People do the best they can with the resources they have and Costco is part of that choice (so is Walmart, for that matter).  For better or worse, we all have to make choices within our lives on where we're going to draw our lines and focus our attentions.

First, I have to admit to a knee-jerk reaction to "No one should shop at ________."

As part of a household of 2 (two), I have to say this: By shopping at Costco, we do not consume more--in fact we consume less. Less fuel because we make fewer trips; less packaging goes into the landfill because we buy larger sizes.

Prices at Costco compare favorably with local markets, especially produce. Where I live, there is no "local produce." Our summertime farmers' market vendors come 100+ miles to sell their products.

I get some meat from local butcher shops and from our University's Agriculture department's grass-fed program, but we like variety. Costco offers it at a better value than chain supermarkets. Again, locally sourced items are limited in quantity and quality. By favoring Costco over online vendors, I'm supporting the local community.

Agreed on the knee-jerk reaction. I don't really appreciate broad statements of "No one should..." I think everyone wants to do the best they can with what they have available, no need to try to shame people. I choose my products there selectively, just like I shop everywhere else. They are a decent company, local to my hometown of Issaquah, WA, and I have no problem shopping there. It also doesn't affect my consumption either way, but it does contribute to fewer trips to the store. 

I do not feel that I am in the wrong to express my beliefs like that. This was a principle I was raised on. Smart grocery shopping supporting smaller businesses. I understand when you live in certain regions you can't do that. My parents always told me know where your food comes from even in the middle of dead winter i know I can't purchase foods locally but I mean within this country. I don't believe in buying excessively my parents have four kids and frequent visitors and frequently host parties and did not need to shop at Costco it was too much food. And caring about what country your products come from is important it has much to do with your health. I grew up eating organic before it was trendy and i still to this day have never been sick with anything but an occasional winter cold or a stomach bug from eating at a chain restaurant.

This forum is an area where we express our knowledge, share tips and support each other. I happen to work in sourcing/compliance I have an mba in international trade and through my knowledge and visiting factories all over the world (though I work in apparel my studies and travels have led me to look at sourcing for everything) I've seen those factories, I know the process they go through and I frequently keep myself informed about corporate social responsibility and compliance issues that go on. What started being a value I was raised on has been confirmed by my actual findings as part of my career.

Hi MaiveyYogi,

I am happy to hear that you have very high standards - and that works good for you.  I completely understand your statements and am on board with you with buying local.  Unfortunately not all of us here have the luxury, access, or means to buy all products locally.  Especially in the dead of winter. When it is -15 (Celsius) outside and the world is covered under a foot of snow.

For me - I buy local when I can - summer and autumn months.  I am very fortunate that I live in a Province in Canada that is very focused in supplying locally grown produce.  I commend them for that.  I do buy meat directly from a farmer sometimes, but yes we also supplement with items from Costco.  This is the best I can do with what I have. Many people don't have access to what I have.  And that's fine.  We all do the best with what we can do.  If that is buying meat, nuts, and chicken bulk at Costco - so be it.  Please try to be more understanding of this.

Good to here that you have an mba in international trade.  I hope it serves you well.

• Administrators

I was there yesterday, so I asked about it. I was told it's been pulled because they're repackaging it. Hope it's back soon!

I was there yesterday and they had it at mine!!!!!!!!!  I sure hope with the "repackaging" they aren't also changing the ingredients at the same time!

This is the person who originally had asked about Costco. I appreciate all the great ideas but do not appreciate my question being used for your own personal opinions. This forum should be used for us to gain knowledge on our food choices. It should never be used to voice your personal opinion on social or political issues.

• Moderators

No one is disputing your beliefs or your upbringing. What is in dispute is the 'no one should' 'everyone should' sentiment. Everyone SHOULD do the best they can for their time, budget and as much in line with their own philosophies as they can.

Try to frame things so they're not perceived as an attack on those who you don't feel line up with your own principles. Everyone gets to make their own decisions and this board isn't a place to castigate people whom you feel aren't making decisions you would stand behind.

• Administrators

Heyyyy, how do you like the avocado oil? I keep looking at it, but haven't bought it yet. Never cooked with avocado oil.

I buy that one too and use it to make mayo (when I'm not enforcing Mayo Embargo 2015) and love it.  I also use it to cook with....but beware of using it if you have animals that get plate scraps as avocado is dangerous for dogs (not sure about cats).

Yes, Costco is my all-time favorite place to shop!  Not sure what the argument is regarding overconsumption or what not but it is definitely a flawed argument.  If you need to compare just go shop at BJs and then Sams and then Costco, I think it will be clear who the leader is in care and quality when it comes to their inventory portfolio.  The only downside to Costco is that their inventory varies greatly from month to month and store to store.  My Whole 30 favorites are:

• Avocado Oil as Kirkor pointed out
  • Coconut Oil tub as many have pointed out
  • Ground Buffalo which is more expensive than the organic ground meat per pound but it is grass fed/pastured which is more important to me than organic
  • Pre cubed butternut squash -- What a timesaver!
  • Amylu chicken andouille sausage -- Best prepackaged sausage i have ever tried!
  • triplewashed organic field greens

By the way, none of the above come from CHINA!!

Archived